Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

The more I hear about this game to more lazy and rushed it sounds. Even if it wasn't on Origin I probably wouldn't buy it until the price came down a lot.

No, it really is amazing. There is some glitchiness with sidequests, and the less said about the ending the better, but I almost immediately started a second playthrough when I beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

The game is 99% amazing, especially if you've played 1 and 2. Its just the last 10 minutes that are terrible, the other 30 hours are great.

The ending really does spoil the replay value, it's kind of impressive.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
What the hell, why am I level 31? Did they seriously give everyone that imported from 2 30 whole levels? This feels incredibly cheap. Is there any way I can avoid this without having to start over with no import, or am I missing something on a grander scale?

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
While the dream sequences and stuff are great if you never played the games before (e.g. didn't import), I have a hard time buying that my sociopathic/colonist/ruthless Shep starts giving a gently caress now after single handedly laying waste to half the galaxy before the Reapers got there.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Internet Kraken posted:

The more I hear about this game to more lazy and rushed it sounds. Even if it wasn't on Origin I probably wouldn't buy it until the price came down a lot.

This is exactly what I was afraid of. The vast majority of the game is amazing. It's a disservice to how drat good most of the game is, to focus so hard on the ending, but well, as someone else said, if you find a mouse in your last bite of delicious food, you're gonna remember and talk about that mouse, not the rest that was delicious.

I had nothing but glowing, positive words for the game until literally the last few minutes. Literally. It is not a lazy and rushed game at all, the ending simply is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

What the hell, why am I level 31? Did they seriously give everyone that imported from 2 30 whole levels? This feels incredibly cheap. Is there any way I can avoid this without having to start over with no import, or am I missing something on a grander scale?

You get levels equal to the level you were at. It really doesn't matter, the game throws levels at you like candy. It isn't really worried about that kind of scaling.

Aristobulus posted:

This is exactly what I was afraid of. The vast majority of the game is amazing. It's a disservice to how drat good most of the game is, to focus so hard on the ending, but well, as someone else said, if you find a mouse in your last bite of delicious food, you're gonna remember and talk about that mouse, not the rest that was delicious.

I had nothing but glowing, positive words for the game until literally the last few minutes. Literally. It is not a lazy and rushed game at all, the ending simply is.

Yeah. I enjoyed it more than I was expecting, but the ending just ruins it for me in a way I can't describe. I think it's worth playing but I can't recommend buying it for full price when the end result is going to be... that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ending spoilers:

The choices at the end are terrible and a cobbled together mess. The endings should have been the sum of all your choices through-out the game instead of an arbitrary choice forced upon you from the Star Child. That character and choices shouldn't exist, at all. Self-sacrifice doesn't need to end in a character's death. A friend of mine calls it the "Frodo Ending". Think about it. Frodo (from Lord of the Rings), sacrifices much on his journey to destroy the One Ring: he loses friends, has to make hard choices and bears many scars, both emotional and physical. Yet at the end, he doesn't die. Instead, he goes off to heal. It's bittersweet because he leaves behind the life he had due to his sacrifices.

Had Lord of the Rings followed this game, he would have gotten to Mount Doom and Gollum would have given him a choice: keep the ring or jump into the lava with the ring. When he chose one of those Middle Earth would blow up.

The whole thing just feels out of place. Plus it goes against one of the constant themes of control and free will. Every planet you help out is releasing it from some sort of forced control. Indoctrination forcing people to obey with mindcontrol, genophage controlling the Krogans, everything involving the Geth and Quarians. Yet each and everyone of those "choices" you are given at the end involves imposing some control upon the galaxy. It admits that the Reapers were exactly right the entire time and undoes everything you've fought for the entire game.

It's such a shame too, the entire rest of the game is so goddamn great that it's soul-crushing to have a letdown, out-of-the-blue nonsense "ending".

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Marx posted:

While the dream sequences and stuff are great if you never played the games before (e.g. didn't import), I have a hard time buying that my sociopathic/colonist/ruthless Shep starts giving a gently caress now after single handedly laying waste to half the galaxy before the Reapers got there.

Haha yeah, the kid bit is pretty hamfisted, especially with the whole uncanny valley thing that videogame children generally have going on.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Ending spoilers:

The choices at the end are terrible and a cobbled together mess. The endings should have been the sum of all your choices through-out the game instead of an arbitrary choice forced upon you from the Star Child. That character and choices shouldn't exist, at all. Self-sacrifice doesn't need to end in a character's death. A friend of mine calls it the "Frodo Ending". Think about it. Frodo (from Lord of the Rings), sacrifices much on his journey to destroy the One Ring: he loses friends, has to make hard choices and bears many scars, both emotional and physical. Yet at the end, he doesn't die. Instead, he goes off to heal. It's bittersweet because he leaves behind the life he had due to his sacrifices.

Had Lord of the Rings followed this game, he would have gotten to Mount Doom and Gollum would have given him a choice: keep the ring or jump into the lava with the ring. When he chose one of those Middle Earth would blow up.

The whole thing just feels out of place. Plus it goes against one of the constant themes of control and free will. Every planet you help out is releasing it from some sort of forced control. Indoctrination forcing people to obey with mindcontrol, genophage controlling the Krogans, everything involving the Geth and Quarians. Yet each and everyone of those "choices" you are given at the end involves imposing some control upon the galaxy. It admits that the Reapers were exactly right the entire time and undoes everything you've fought for the entire game.

It's such a shame too, the entire rest of the game is so goddamn great that it's soul-crushing to have a letdown, out-of-the-blue nonsense "ending".

It wouldn't have been gollum though, it would have been a random hobbit kid he saw for 30 seconds at the start of the book. In fact if we compare it to ME3 then he would have killed gollum halfway up mount doom, then Sam would have died too.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Marx posted:

Not really. Even with my war hero Paragon Shepard they're still ham fisted as gently caress and amateur.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

I don't know how you could play lower than 30, it will take two playthroughs of ME3 to get you from 30 to 60 (cap). You literally miss nothing except frustration at crappy powers and pre-defined choices if you start a new character at 1.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Oh I forgot this:

Shepard + Liara = Asari babies

We will never have a JJ (johnny junior) who'd father was the HERO of MILKY WAY to play in me4

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Not really. Even with my war hero Paragon Shepard they're still ham fisted as gently caress and amateur.

Those scenes made absolutely no sense at all. Shepard saw an entire colony turned into horrible husk-zombies, she saw another overcome by the Thorian (by the way, did the Thorian Asari show up again in ME3? I missed her if so.) She's seen entire worlds destroyed, atrocities aplenty, and... nope, we're saying she has horrible trauma because of a sad orphan and not all the other poo poo.

Why not have it focused around the person you left behind? Suddenly it's meaningful. Shepard is dealing with the fact that people are dying. You even have models and voices for the characters already!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Aristobulus posted:

I'm not just talking about the ending. From what I've read a lot of your choices across games have little impact or flat out don't matter. Combine that with the glitchiness and horrid ending and I'm not eager to give Bioware 60 bucks for this.

I wasn't terribly excited over this in the first place though.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Oh I forgot this:

We will never have a JJ (johnny junior) who'd father was the HERO of MILKY WAY to play in me4

little blue loving babies. One of the things I wanted to see more than other things.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Those scenes made absolutely no sense at all. Shepard saw an entire colony turned into horrible husk-zombies, she saw another overcome by the Thorian (by the way, did the Thorian Asari show up again in ME3? I missed her if so.) She's seen entire worlds destroyed, atrocities aplenty, and... nope, we're saying she has horrible trauma because of a sad orphan and not all the other poo poo.

Why not have it focused around the person you left behind? Suddenly it's meaningful. Shepard is dealing with the fact that people are dying. You even have models and voices for the characters already!

You get an email from Shiala, Zhu's hope kicked some reaper rear end due to all being in-tune with each other thanks to the Thorian Spores.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

DerDestroyer posted:

I have a better idea for the crucible. Instead of being some kind of massive deus ex machina it should be a highly sophisticated weapon system that can temporarily re-purpose mass relays into extremely powerful cannons. Your asset score determines how successful the resulting battle is because you need fleet assets to keep the reapers occupied while you use mass relays to snipe them. Alternatively the crucible could have been a variant of the ultra powerful cannon that created that massive canyon on that planet.

See this is what I thought it was when they first mentioned it.

Then I talked to Javik who said that they didn't design the crucible, that they also found the plans but couldn't come together to build it.

Which at the time got me thinking that maybe the crucible is actually a device that showed the Reapers or the creators of the Reapers that the cycle had advanced to a point where they didn't need to attack anymore. See Javik said they couldn't build it because they were just one race and didn't bring everyone together so at the time I thought maybe the whole Reaper annihilation thing is actually a test to see if the galaxy could put aside it's differences and come together for the good of everyone. I guess I ended up being part right but god drat any of these are better then stupid arbitrary decision deus ex machina.

I thought that might have been interesting if it was all just a test I mean the Reapers were obviously cultivating humanity because Shepard proved they were strong and willing to adapt to the changing galaxy with the Reaper invasion. So what better way to test the whole galaxy then create an unstoppable force and seed the galaxy with plans for a machine that would seem unbuildable if you didn't have allies?

But no bioware yeah magic space child wiping out all life in the galaxy and Shep just going along with it. Real good move there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Aristobulus posted:

The problem is that the game is the culmination of a trilogy, and the first two were pretty drat good.

I had some deep, DEEP misgivings based on both Bioware's recent history (DA 2 anyone?), Origin, and finally the leaked scripts. A buddy of mine got it anyway and let me watch the last hour of so of gameplay, and then went back and hit all the endings. Usually I don't like to know how things end, but I figured it was better to spoil a good game than play through 30-50 hours only to hate it at the last minute. He was a Paragon male shep for the first two for what that's worth, and tended to have most of the "good" stuff done in the previous games.

My response to the ending was "well, you just saved me $60," and he just nodded his head.

It's sad because with something like this that is so heavily dependent on good story telling it doesn't matter how good the rest of the game is, if you gently caress the ending up THIS badly it just kills it.

The closest analogy I can think of is if at the end of LoTR you find out that, no, it really isn't any use standing up to unspeakable evil. Frodo goes insane, hands the ring to Saruman, and everyone dies or becomes twisted slaves. The end, roll credits.

Maybe for some kind of arthouse film where you're supposed to sit around and discuss over hand-rolled cigarettes how bleak and terrible existence is that's OK, but for a space opera that has as its underlying principle the idea that no matter how lovely a situation looks it's ALWAYS worth fighting (I mean, seriously, how many "suicide missions" that "have no chance of succeeding" has Shephard gone on up to now?) rolling over and just accepting that this is the way it has to be is so loving anti-climactic.

In short, even if it's an amazing game if you gently caress up the TRILLOGY this badly . . . :effort:

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 11, 2012

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not just talking about the ending. From what I've read a lot of your choices across games have little impact or flat out don't matter. Combine that with the glitchiness and horrid ending and I'm not eager to give Bioware 60 bucks for this.

Your choices have an impact on the game, it's just that the ending negates it all.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it's utterly piss poor story telling. You often have this in TV shows where a main character is trying to save someone important to them for an episode. However this character has shown up for a whole 2 minutes so you couldn't care less about them.

This kid has never been seen before the beginning of Mass Effect 3 so you have no reason to care about him as a character except because BioWare is trying to force you too. It's just bad storytelling.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

CaptainCarrot posted:

I think you mean use only one gun for maximum cooldown reduction. :colbert:

I use three and have 200%. Disciple, Locust, Carnifex.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Cardboard Fox posted:

its not really a problem. the level cap is 60. You get to feel like a badass for the tutorial but things level out afterwards

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
I just assumed Shep was going a little wacko from all the death, and the kid wasn't even real. Shep sees kid playing alone in the garden, Shep sees same kid hiding alone in abandoned building, Shep sees kid in his dreams, kid turns out to be God AI on Citadel.

I just went with the whole kid thing was Shep hallucinating/God AI communicating. Unless the AI says somewhere that the kid was real?

ImpAtom posted:

You get her and the colonists as a war asset. They become badass telepathic commandos.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

At the end of the game? Your choices don't mean a drat thing, but the game makes a ton of references to your choices in previous games through out.

Hell, some ME2 squad members even remember the job you game them in the Suicide Mission.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

CrushedB posted:

But it still proves that synthetics can be reasoned with and make peace just like organic races. If synthetics aren't especially inherently ultra-genocidal machines that will make all organic life everywhere extinct, then the Catalyst's proposition becomes mere speculation without any examples given. An AI doesn't need to reproduce, or necessarily feel the need to survive that would cause it to go rogue, any more than an organic might go insane and homicidal. The geth might just get in their Dyson sphere, chill out, and then float out of the galaxy to contemplate theoretical physics or tic-tac-toe for the next 50 million years until they get bored and move onto something else. The Reapers might as well be freaking out over the possibility of galactic collision, or supermassive black holes randomly forming, or evolutionary forces creating a "perfect" lifeform like a spaceborne virus to destroy all life. It's all theoretical chance and the natural order of things. Synthetics are just artificial lifeforms and thus would be prone to extinction like any other. For a race that's at least nearly a billion years old, the Reapers seem incredibly myopic if the possibility of a dominant galactic species being synthetic is unacceptable for them and necessitates handicapping galactic evolution and sticking the DNA into sentient tombstones every 50,000 years.

I think you can use this to expand on another way to fix the endings. Assuming you've managed to get through a "perfect" run and ensured that everyone is at peace, including the Geth, then it should be an option to convince the Catalyst that the Reapers are no longer necessary. You can tell him that his understanding of synthetics is flawed or that the cycles have allowed organics to advance to a point where it is no longer relevant. The Catalyst can say "I guess you're right, goodbye. And then he uses the Crucible to either make the Reapers fly off to dark space forever or blow up. I think this is the most feasible option because Bioware could still use the ending cutscenes of the Reapers dieing/leaving and just edit out the destruction of the relays and Shepard vaporizing. You know, the stupid stuff.

Of course, this is only possible with max assets and complete peace in the galaxy. If I can get out of the Collector base with no loses, provided I worked hard at it, I'd like to be able to do the same here.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Creepy Goat posted:

I don't know how you could play lower than 30, it will take two playthroughs of ME3 to get you from 30 to 60 (cap). You literally miss nothing except frustration at crappy powers and pre-defined choices if you start a new character at 1.

I guess. It just feels weird having half of my talent tree full before I even get to the first planet.

This is obviously me just having a knee-jerk reaction. It will probably make sense the more I play.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Veotax posted:

At the end of the game? Your choices don't mean a drat thing, but the game makes a ton of references to your choices in previous games through out.

Hell, some ME2 squad members even remember the job you game them in the Suicide Mission.

Garrus in particular has no problem mentioning ever thing he's ever done to save Shep at one point or another.

Such a bro.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Where the hell do I find Morinth? I beat the game and saw the Banshee named Morinth and I have a feeling that there's some encounter with her I missed especially after reading about a Phantom named Jack some goon encountered.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
I get the feeling that the ending was a result of them wanting to have things a certain way for some distant future game and the rear end in a top hat writer deciding he wanted to do something "deep." unfortunately trying to write a "deep" ending to a story doesn't work when a) it contradicts the tone already set by 3 20-30 hour games and b) your writing credentials consist of writing for jade empire and the mass effect series, and co-writing books about mass effect.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Your choices have an impact on the game, it's just that the ending negates it all.

Oh I know the choices you make have an impact, it's just that almost all the ones that carry any real significance happen in Mass Effect 3. Most events in the story will happen regardless of what you did in the previous games. It's one of the problems I had with Mass Effect 2 as well. The choices you make in the game feel significant, but in the next game their effects are greatly diminished.

Maybe I'm wrong though and they do carry more impact, but from the sound of things they don't outside of some dialogue lines.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Internet Kraken posted:

During the plot there is a crazy amount of good callbacks, things being easier if you did stuff right before and responsiveness to ME1 and ME2, More then I expected really.
I have yet to beat the game, but so far there has a been a lot of good callbacks and stuff mattering in the details of how stuff plays out. It's really kinda neat.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh I know the choices you make have an impact, it's just that almost all the ones that carry any real significance happen in Mass Effect 3. Most events in the story will happen regardless of what you did in the previous games. It's one of the problems I had with Mass Effect 2 as well. The choices you make in the game feel significant, but in the next game their effects are greatly diminished.

Maybe I'm wrong though and they do carry more impact, but from the sound of things they don't outside of some dialogue lines.

There are some significant changes that can happen, but I kind of think making it too dependent on ME2 basically robs anyone who starts with ME3 of more and more of the game. Also, the kind of branching that would allow for plot points to really change would shorten the game considerably.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Haha what a cool game and suddenly wow that last 5 minutes is loving poisonous to behold.

Westen
Nov 6, 2011
Romance sperg incoming:

To hop in on the "everything ELSE in the game is amazing" wagon, I'd like to say that I thought they handled the romances a lot better this time around. I went with Tali because I'm lame, and was really impressed with how much the dialogue seemed to change during the Rannoch stuff to reflect that. It felt less like there was the regular banter for the mission with a few extra lines thrown in and more like they totally overhauled it.

Garrus pretty much yelling "Christ will you two get a room?" was priceless

So is it like this for all the other possible options?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So I just finished my first playthrough of this game, as a paragon soldier that I've used since ME1. And thanks to the endings, I think this might be my only playthrough of ME3, which sucks because I put a ton of time into a bunch of other ME2 characters.

edit: One non-ending related question I have:
Is it possible to save the both the quarians and the geth? I let legion make all the geth self-aware then all the quarians died. I was also under the impression that if I stopped legion then all the geth would die.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say that I liked the Kaiden romance "ended" (at least I got the cheevo for it) when Kaiden and Shepard went out to a bar together and talked, instead of the most important thing being THEY HAD SEX. Yeah, there's still a sex scene later on, but it isn't treated as the all-important defining romance thing.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I really didn't have anything against the core concepts of the endings (well, the full-readiness one is kinda dumb) - they could have been better implemented, though.

What really hurts it is that there's no epilogue. Even Fallout 3 gave you a run-down of what happens afterwards. It's just badly paced and abrupt. If they'd done that here, almost nobody would be complaining.

Really, as this is the end of a huge trilogy, it needed a Metal Gear Solid 4-esque 'goes on forever' ending sequence. Not the 'Welp, let's wrap it up quick' that we got.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 11, 2012

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Dominic White posted:

I really didn't have anything against the core concepts of the endings (well, the full-readiness one is kinda dumb) - they could have been better implemented, though.

What really hurts it is that there's no epilogue. Even Fallout 3 gave you a run-down of what happens afterwards. If they'd done that here, almost nobody would be complaining.

I still think that killing off the player character in a video game is a bad idea but your right, if there had at least been some closure it would have at least been "okay" I guess. Maybe.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ImpAtom posted:

I will say that I liked the Kaiden romance "ended" (at least I got the cheevo for it) when Kaiden and Shepard went out to a bar together and talked, instead of the most important thing being THEY HAD SEX. Yeah, there's still a sex scene later on, but it isn't treated as the all-important defining romance thing.

I liked that you could get the Paramour achievement for Traynor, and maybe other non-squadmates if you can get with them, making those romance options feel more legitimate than Kelly ever did. I actually got it completely unexpectedly and by accident when I decided to hop into the shower with Traynor because "I just saved, and if her taking a shower in her underwear is any indication, this is going to be very silly and worth seeing once."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Oh I forgot this:

I thought this is what was implied if you romanced her and then talked to her in London right before the final mission. All ridiculousness about the ending afterwards aside I thought it was hinting that whatever happens she has Shepard's blue babies.

• Locked thread