Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Rurik posted:

Was Emilie Clarke known as Dany's actress before ADWD was published? If so, it explains a lot... about Daario.

Apparently, she was cast in May 2010, so yes. That does explain a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Rurik posted:

Was Emilie Clarke known as Dany's actress before ADWD was published? If so, it explains a lot... about Daario.

Originally it was going to be Katherine Howard from The Tudors. Also quite the firecracker.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Joramun posted:

I could see him playing Victarion, personally.

A fatter, smaller, weaker, less manly Victarion. Also no mention of the dusky woman being LGBT.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Joramun posted:

Originally it was going to be Katherine Howard from The Tudors. Also quite the firecracker.

It was originally going to be Tamzin Merchant, but fans though she looked mentally challenged, which suits the character.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

whowhatwhere posted:

Wait a loving minute. It's a stupid idea, but what if the naked women's hilts he's always rubbing are magical? At least then she wouldn't be a massive idiot, even for a teen.
Suggesting that he needs magic to bed Dany is an insult to Daario~'s ultimate seduction techniques. My guess is that he trained for years in a hidden monastery to master his forbidden technique that can land their user every woman on the planet. Though I'll grant you that perhaps fondling twin golden sword hilts in the shape of naked women is part of the technique.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

Suggesting that he needs magic to bed Dany is an insult to Daario~'s ultimate seduction techniques. My guess is that he trained for years in a hidden monastery to master his forbidden technique that can land their user every woman on the planet. Though I'll grant you that perhaps fondling twin golden sword hilts in the shape of naked women is part of the technique.

Young Daario~ was ignored by the fine ladies of Lys, until he came across the ancient tome "The Game" by Neil "Style" Strauss. He learned the fine techniques of PUA, such as peacocking (blue hair and his daggers) and "negging". After conquering the hearts of the women of Essos he set his sights higher. His ultimate mark - the HB10 dragon queen Danaerys Targaryen. Read as Daario uses his honed techniques to catch her eye and attempt the greatest f-close of all time! Written by award winning author and PUA George "R. R." Martin.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

bigmcgaffney posted:

Young Daario~ was ignored by the fine ladies of Lys, until he came across the ancient tome "The Game" by Neil "Style" Strauss. He learned the fine techniques of PUA, such as peacocking (blue hair and his daggers) and "negging". After conquering the hearts of the women of Essos he set his sights higher. His ultimate mark - the HB10 dragon queen Danaerys Targaryen. Read as Daario uses his honed techniques to catch her eye and attempt the greatest f-close of all time! Written by award winning author and PUA George "R. R." Martin.
This is a tale that should to be used as a case study for aspiring PUAs the world over.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Negging: you're just a young, pretty girl. You obviously need a man to help you rule.

Peacocking: come on, tit swords? Obviously.

<3 Daario~ <3 is totally PUA as poo poo. He f-closed an HB that owns dragons. That's gotta make her at least an HB20!

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Don't forget GRRM's masterful use of kino at his book signings. The man knows his poo poo.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

bigmcgaffney posted:

Don't forget GRRM's masterful use of kino at his book signings. The man knows his poo poo.

:barf:

You know the second that picture was taken she thought "did a cold canned ham just fall on my hand?"

The following pictures would reveal GRRM grinning widely as she realizes the clammy feeling on the back of her hand is his touch.

He interprets her revulsion as Last Minute Resistance and makes her feel bad for rejecting him. When she apologizes, he kisses her. She tries to scream, but he has already unhinged his jaw and has swallowed her to the shoulders. With a lurch he lefts her feet towards the ceiling, and she slides into the gullet of the GRRM.

The others waiting in line for signatures, who were moments ago shocked, now breathe a sigh of relief.

The GRRM has fed. He will not feed again for 3 hours.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Tony Danza Claus posted:

:barf:

You know the second that picture was taken she thought "did a cold canned ham just fall on my hand?"

The following pictures would reveal GRRM grinning widely as she realizes the clammy feeling on the back of her hand is his touch.

He interprets her revulsion as Last Minute Resistance and makes her feel bad for rejecting him. When she apologizes, he kisses her. She tries to scream, but he has already unhinged his jaw and has swallowed her to the shoulders. With a lurch he lefts her feet towards the ceiling, and she slides into the gullet of the GRRM.

The others waiting in line for signatures, who were moments ago shocked, now breathe a sigh of relief.

The GRRM has fed. He will not feed again for 3 hours.

Nightmare fuel. Reminds me of American Gods but somehow makes my manhood harder.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bigmcgaffney posted:

Nightmare fuel. Reminds me of American Gods but somehow makes my manhood harder.

That scene from American Gods was read by Kevin Smith as the dude who got, err, eaten and Amanda Palmer doing the eating, with Gaiman reading the inbetween parts on Smith's podcast.

I spent.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Did everyone but me know that Rugen the jailor was actually Varys? I'd never even considered it but GRRM mentioned it in the DVD commentary.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

TheManWithNoName posted:

Did everyone but me know that Rugen the jailor was actually Varys? I'd never even considered it but GRRM mentioned it in the DVD commentary.
I thought that was likely. The fact he was hardly there, the other guards at the jail barely knew him and the way his appearance and disappearance in King's Landing matched Varys' made things pretty suspicious.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Factor_VIII posted:

I thought that was likely. The fact he was hardly there, the other guards at the jail barely knew him and the way his appearance and disappearance in King's Landing matched Varys' made things pretty suspicious.

I was pretty sure it was him for the same reasons.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I'm going to reread the series but picture Dany as very short and incredibly fat.

Unfortunately a GIS for "incredibly fat danaerys" yields nothing, this is the first fat result:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wanna motorboat those thighs.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Maytag posted:

Unfortunately a GIS for "incredibly fat danaerys" yields nothing
It's Daenerys. These things are important.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Maytag posted:

I'm going to reread the series but picture Dany as very short and incredibly fat.

Unfortunately a GIS for "incredibly fat danaerys" yields nothing, this is the first fat result:

A Gurm whale sighting.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Urdnot Fire posted:

A Gurm whale sighting.
Interesting. I didn't realize that females of his species were still around.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

TheManWithNoName posted:

The only jailor I could think of was the one at the Eyrie. Then I remembered his name was Mord.

Could still be Varys.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Not to poo poo this thread up with seriousposting, but from http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Varys

quote:

A Feast for Crows

After Varys's part in Tyrion's escape and Tywin's murder, he vanishes without a trace. A dungeon turnkey named Rugen disappears as well. In Rugen's living space a Tyrell coin is discovered and shown to Cersei, increasing Cersei's already-abundant mistrust of House Tyrell. It is believed by many readers that Rugen is an alias of Varys's, due to the identical description of the turnkey with Varys when he visited Ned Stark in the Black Cells.

Since I'd been wracking my brain for what jailer I'd been missing, realizing it was just some guy described in AFFC made me feel like less of an idiot.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Littlefinger, Varys, Tyrion, Ser Selmey, Ilyrio, or Ser Pounce...which one is the best mastermind?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dead Man Posting posted:

Littlefinger, Varys, Tyrion, Ser Selmey, Ilyrio, or Ser Pounce...which one is the best mastermind?

Ser Pounce, Knight of the Catnip!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

crazypeltast52 posted:

Ser Pounce, Knight of the Catnip!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dead Man Posting posted:

Littlefinger, if your master plan is to nail a teenage girl who's half your age.

Tyrion, if you believe a pint-sized alcoholic can get his scheme on.

Ilyrio, really? I guess he would have beaten Viserys at Cyvasse.

Varys does what he does because he doesn't give two shits for pussy or rear end, glory or honor, wine or lemon cakes. You name it, he doesn't want it. He always has his mind in the game. Fucker hardly even sleeps.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ser Pounce is the third head of the Dragon! It's so clear, all the clues have been there the entire time...

HE LIKES FISH, DRAGONS LIKE FISH TOO, OH MY GOD

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Selmy's not really a mastermind, more of just a guy who's badass enough to survive as a knight for so many years and still kick rear end against guys a third of his age.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

New trailer for season 2: http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/about/video/the-more-you-love-trailer.html?autoplay=true&cmpid=ABC794

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Littlefinger, if your master plan is to nail a teenage girl who's half your age.

Tyrion, if you believe a pint-sized alcoholic can get his scheme on.

Ilyrio, really? I guess he would have beaten Viserys at Cyvasse.

Varys does what he does because he doesn't give two shits for pussy or rear end, glory or honor, wine or lemon cakes. You name it, he doesn't want it. He always has his mind in the game. Fucker hardly even sleeps.

Counterpoint: Varys at the moment has fuckall. He's got nothing other than some tongueless boys and girls and knowledge of the castle's secret passages. He's gambling that by driving the kingdoms further into discord that some guy claiming to be Aegon can take over all of Westeros with 5000 men. In addition, his plans regarding the Targs were always ridiculous longshot gambles that relied on people he barely knew to do things perfectly.

Illyrio is sinking a lot of money into this venture, but he's not going to end up penniless or murdered if he loses his investment. He's got almost no downside, and a great deal of upside. On the other hand, he's basically done nothing in Westeros other than fund Varys's schemes.

Littlefinger has control of the least-damaged 'kingdom' of all, nominal control over the Riverlands, a nearly-impregnable defensive position (to all except the zombies up north) and several aces up his sleeves...and control over his transferred crush (:gonk:). His gambles consisted entirely of his judgment of people he knew instead of moonshots like Varys's. And he did this all while appearing harmless or defanged to everyone except Varys.

Disgusting as he is, Littlefinger's by far the best mastermind of them all. Even if Varys is likely to win in the end due to Targaryen superspecialawesomeness.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Urdnot Fire posted:

Selmy's not really a mastermind, more of just a guy who's badass enough to survive as a knight for so many years and still kick rear end against guys a third of his age.

Not in a masterminding position until his queen is gone, but yeah you're right.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Even then, it's Shavepate who comes up with everything. All Selmy does is kick a gladiator's rear end.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

whowhatwhere posted:

Even then, it's Shavepate who comes up with everything. All Selmy does is kick a gladiator's rear end.
Yeah. Selmy's survival strategy up to that point had been to pretty much do no scheming and steer clear of any that happened around him. Even at that point he's extremely reluctant to participate in Shavepate's plan.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I think it's very shortsighted to assume you know anything significant about Varys's resources and how trustworthy his people are.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Varys isn't just the Spider of King's Landing, oh no, that would be far too easy. He is also the Upright Man of Krondor. Truly, a man of many resources.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

whowhatwhere posted:

Littlefinger has control of the least-damaged 'kingdom' of all, nominal control over the Riverlands, a nearly-impregnable defensive position (to all except the zombies up north) and several aces up his sleeves...and control over his transferred crush (:gonk:). His gambles consisted entirely of his judgment of people he knew instead of moonshots like Varys's. And he did this all while appearing harmless or defanged to everyone except Varys.

Disgusting as he is, Littlefinger's by far the best mastermind of them all. Even if Varys is likely to win in the end due to Targaryen superspecialawesomeness.

Littlefinger's strength comes from his moderated ambition. He isn't trying to sit on the Iron Throne, he'd be perfectly happy being lord of the Vale. The lack of over-reach makes him stronger, because it makes him more adaptable (it doesn't *have* to be the Vale, per se) and also less of a threat to people moonshoting (he can just stay in the Vale and let them kill eachother's dragons until it's settled.)

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Varys isn't just the Spider of King's Landing, oh no, that would be far too easy. He is also the Upright Man of Krondor. Truly, a man of many resources.

Would read this book until Pug and Dany hopped on the back of a dragon to fly the cosmic highway to the beginning of time.

wait

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I would like very much for Sam to get ahold of Ashen-Shugar's armour and become the Valheru Lord of Tiger-Stripe Ice Cream.

Then he can suckle from all the lactating crazy incest women he wants.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I would like very much for Sam to get ahold of Ashen-Shugar's armour and become the Valheru Lord of Tiger-Stripe Ice Cream.

Then he can suckle from all the lactating crazy incest women he wants.

I'm down with the Others being controlled by a demi-god who is controlled by another god who is controlled by a Mad God who is controlled by a God of Gods, culminating in a war where the heroes and villains team up to fight the God of the God of the Gods.

It's Gods all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

3Romeo posted:

I'm down with the Others being controlled by a demi-god who is controlled by another god who is controlled by a Mad God who is controlled by a God of Gods, culminating in a war where the heroes and villains team up to fight the God of the God of the Gods.

It's Gods all the way down.

You've been reading too much Malazan.