Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

I have the same Milwaukee M18 set and picked up another belt hook and bit holder for the drill from this guy.
http://tinyurl.com/7stralo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine

Elston Gunn posted:

I have the same Milwaukee M18 set and picked up another belt hook and bit holder for the drill from this guy.
http://tinyurl.com/7stralo

Thank you, that is awesome. I was just about to order a 2nd belt hook off Amazon for my drill, when I saw your link. For the same price, I can get the hook and the holder too now, sweet. Also, I had no idea that bit holder existed, looks like a nice way to fix one of the few very small issues with the drill.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

iForge posted:

Just bought this Milwaukee 18 Volt Lithium Hammer Drill/Driver and Impact Driver Combo at HomeDepot for $229.99. I had a $50.00 gift card from Christmas so that brought it down to $179.99 and I already tested it out on some scrap lumber and concrete block and it is unstoppable. Probably went way past its rating on this, but I ran a 6 inch hole saw through a 2x8 board with no issue. Hammer function works excellent too. Drilled a 6 inch deep x 1/4 inch hole in the concrete block in a matter of 10 seconds. Will be using it at work for the next couple of days so I will report back on it, but based on reviews and my initial testing it seems to be an excellent tool already. My 3 year old DeWalt 18 volt Hammer Drill is wearing out and I wanted to get a more reliable tool. It still spins fine but the hammer function is so worn out that it takes forever to drill into any masonry. Im EXCITED for work tomorrow so I can really put it to the test!

Edit- Bad link. If it goes down again go to HomeDepot's website and copy/paste 202951723 into the search.

I am a licensed electrician and always hated Milwaukee power tools. The older 18 volt drills were unwieldy as all hell. I have several of the drills in your pic and have to say that drill is one bad motherfucker. I've had the battery literally last a ten-hour day without a swap.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I am a licensed electrician and always hated Milwaukee power tools. The older 18 volt drills were unwieldy as all hell. I have several of the drills in your pic and have to say that drill is one bad motherfucker. I've had the battery literally last a ten-hour day without a swap.

Yeah there is no doubt they are awesome. I was putting lead expansion anchors in the ceiling for 1/4-20 bridle rings and plastic anchors to fasten my boxes and wire to the walls. Ran just under 1000 feet of 14/3 red MC to 15 devices in 2 days. Don't think I could have done it that fast with my old DeWalt... I think I made pretty drat good time considering the amount of obstacles in my way.

iForge fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 9, 2012

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Hello DIY types. I just finished the functional bit of my homemade pressure pot sandblaster.

I am into restoring old tools and stuff, and I've wanted a sandblaster for a while, but I couldn't justify hundreds of bucks on a store bought one, and the idea of a siphon gun makes me wince. Thus, I created this little beast from an old fire extinguisher and some pipe fittings. I got the hose for free from an old job where they just threw that stuff out all the time, and I have a surplus of it. I fired it up yesterday with some glass shot from Princess Auto and to my suprise it worked right from the get go. All in it was less than $40, most expensive bit being the $20 gun from Princess Auto.

Anyway, I'm now stuck with how to mount the drat thing to stand it up. I've sat there and stared at it for a while and I just can't decide what kind of design would be appropriate. I need it to stand on its own, and the biggest issue is the valve and plumbing sticking out of the bottom ~8". If you have some ideas, let me know. If not, just ogle in its franken-glory.

Oops, forgot to mention it's portable. I don't plan on making a cabinet due to space constrictions, so I need to be able to bring it outdoors.
vvv

thecobra fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 9, 2012

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Pretty sweet thing you got there. The easiest way is probably a fire extinguisher wall mount.

The cheapest non welding way is probably stealing some worm clamps big enough from a junkyard or somewhere and screwing a piece of metal to the wall with the clamps around it.

The cheap and easy DIY way is to weld feet on it.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Lord Gaga posted:

Pretty sweet thing you got there. The easiest way is probably a fire extinguisher wall mount.

The cheapest non welding way is probably stealing some worm clamps big enough from a junkyard or somewhere and screwing a piece of metal to the wall with the clamps around it.

The cheap and easy DIY way is to weld feet on it.

You could get a $3-4 bulkhead fitting and mount it to a flat plate of some sort with a hole in it.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
I have about 200 dollars in giftcards for Lowes and was looking for a set of tools mainly for small projects around the house. I don't really have anything other than a few hand tools right now so this will be the first of many purchases. My brother who does a lot of construction work said I should get a Dewalt Lithium Ion multi pack of tools, but I didn't want to spend a crazy amount. Is Lion a must? I've seen a few Dewalt set with XRP batteries, but haven't found much information about xrp.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dobermaniac posted:

I have about 200 dollars in giftcards for Lowes and was looking for a set of tools mainly for small projects around the house. I don't really have anything other than a few hand tools right now so this will be the first of many purchases. My brother who does a lot of construction work said I should get a Dewalt Lithium Ion multi pack of tools, but I didn't want to spend a crazy amount. Is Lion a must? I've seen a few Dewalt set with XRP batteries, but haven't found much information about xrp.

Go for the LIon. I got a drill/impact driver set for my birthday and there's a big difference. As much or more power in a lighter package than my old NiCad one, and your batteries will last a lot longer as well (both in charge time and in lifetime).

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I just bought a big ol jones superior bandsaw today from my boss.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

stubblyhead posted:

Go for the LIon. I got a drill/impact driver set for my birthday and there's a big difference. As much or more power in a lighter package than my old NiCad one, and your batteries will last a lot longer as well (both in charge time and in lifetime).

Yup. The only thing that sucks about LiIon is that when they die, they DIE. No slowdown, no warning, just dead.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dobermaniac posted:

Definitely go lithium ion for anything cordless. What multi pack were you looking at? The main thing that I like to have cordless would be a drill / impact driver. I have this bosch set, and I believe Dewalt has something equivalent for pretty much the same price--maybe this one.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
That is the one that I'm leaning toward right now. My brother thinks I should get the 5 tool set, but I just don't see a time when I'll need a cordless saw for a 300 dollar premium. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll be heading to Lowe's sometime tomorrow to purchase my box.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I would strongly second your impressions. You can get a really decent corded saw for under $100, and if you DO decide you need a cordless saw, you can always just buy a bare tool later. I'd rather save that $300 for a corded saw and all the little things you wind up needing that aren't power tools.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I finally broke down and bought a Kreg jig today. I just got the $40 kit but holy crap is it awesome. Everyone should have one of these.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

dur posted:

I finally broke down and bought a Kreg jig today. I just got the $40 kit but holy crap is it awesome. Everyone should have one of these.

Is that the thing that does the pocket drilling like for making cabinet fascia and poo poo like that?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

stubblyhead posted:

Is that the thing that does the pocket drilling like for making cabinet fascia and poo poo like that?
Ayup, they rock.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
My eyesight is going bad and I am going to need glasses so I thought I would ask if anyone has any suggestions for glasses that will stand up to workshop conditions.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Circus Pies! posted:

My eyesight is going bad and I am going to need glasses so I thought I would ask if anyone has any suggestions for glasses that will stand up to workshop conditions.
do you need real glasses, or just magnifiers? If its just cheaters, try Duluth trading.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Circus Pies! posted:

Go to any optician, they should have some selection of frames suitable for safety glasses. They are very likely to be loving ugly though, so you probably will not want these for daily wear. I actually just got a pair myself since the ones that go over your glasses are very uncomfortable. They were not significantly more expensive than a regular pair of prescription glasses to the best of my recollection.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

stubblyhead posted:

Go to any optician, they should have some selection of frames suitable for safety glasses. They are very likely to be loving ugly though, so you probably will not want these for daily wear. I actually just got a pair myself since the ones that go over your glasses are very uncomfortable. They were not significantly more expensive than a regular pair of prescription glasses to the best of my recollection.
There's actually a pretty good selection of fashionable ANSI-rated prescription safety glasses, many of which you'd never know were safety-rated unless you looked at the tag. The requirements of being "safety glasses" do put a few constrains on the design, though. Also, to be effective, you need to leave the side wings on, which just looks absolutely stupid. If it's just for occasional shop use, you can take the side-shields off and only put them on when you need them.

Or you can just get a pair of goggles or safety glasses that fit over normal glasses.

grover fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 24, 2012

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Been doing a bit of research on this as safety goggles on top of glasses is a PITA.

CAT has glasses like the the ones you discussed. A regular pair with some mongoloid plastic on the side. I don't like them since they don't protect against dust and shrapnel well enough. (I have gotten a steel shrapnel in my eye because the glasses didn't fit snugly around the eyes)

The only ones I've found that seem to incorporate both ease, protection and (quite important IMO) changeability are these:

http://www.contacts.net.nz/prescription-safety-glasses/bolle-tracker-2

The goggle part is like typical Oakley sunglasses but with various hazard certifications, plus pads that sits on your brow and cheeks. The strap is adjustable and removable. The glass outside is changeable and can be found in three or four different colors (as far as I've found). The actual glasses inside the goggle is like a pince-nez: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pince-nez but I don't think they are usable without the frame.

This is the best option I've found so far. They are dirt cheap online and the inner part can be fitted with prescription glasses at any optician.

Anyone found a better option? Like Circus Pies! I need glasses and I can't be arsed to use contacts. I've even read some scare stories with metal work and metal dust coming in between the lens and the eye. I'm currently just using my regular glasses and add some 3M goggles on top if it's really messy work. It's hardly ideal as they tend to fog up if it's hard work.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

grover posted:

Or you can just get a pair of goggles or safety glasses that fit over normal glasses.

The problem being that these are very uncomfortable and will just result in you never wearing them.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

They make inserts similar to the Pince-nez style thing for use in glasses. I know the Uvex Genesis series has one. Pyramex is another brand that I'm sure would have that style. A guy at work wears the Uvex and he can just change out the 7 dollar pair of glasses if they get scratched and put his RX inserts in.

Lear
Jul 6, 2007

"My third eye is squeegied quite cleanly."
Looking for advice on a very high quality micro-screwdriver set with both flat and cross-heads of various sizes. I'm not even sure what they are called other than 'micro' - the ones that are small enough to be used to fix tiny electronics, eye-glasses, etc. Over the course of 10 years, I have gone through 3 sets bought from Home Depot with all of them failing at one point or another for various reasons. For example, one of the 'teeth' on the tiny philips-head would break off.

Cost is no object if the quality is good. I find I use these sets constantly on all manner of things.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Depends on how small you want them. Wera has a set of small screwdrivers and I challenge anyone to find a better quality brand. I've put Wera bits through so much abuse that I felt pity for them. Bought a set of regular screwdrivers and they are ace. I'm picking up a small set next time I'm at a place where they sell them because they are just that good.

Lear
Jul 6, 2007

Iskariot posted:

Depends on how small you want them. Wera has a set of small screwdrivers and I challenge anyone to find a better quality brand. I've put Wera bits through so much abuse that I felt pity for them. Bought a set of regular screwdrivers and they are ace. I'm picking up a small set next time I'm at a place where they sell them because they are just that good.

I'd like a set as small as they come, but with bigger handles to allow me to apply enough torque as neccesary. Think: fixing eyeglasses, or unscrewing the tiny screws under an iPhone... on up in size to just unscrewing the small screw that holds the battery door closed on a child's toy.

I'll check out Wera, and thanks for the insight.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Hm, I think the set I'm referring to might be too large for what you are describing. This is the set: http://www.amazon.com/Wera-05118150003-Kraftform-Electronics-Screwdriver/dp/B0001P18PA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1334786384&sr=8-8

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wiha is another good name and it looks like they may have a bit more selection on the precision drivers (at least on Amazon.)

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-27390-Phillips-Screwdriver-Precision/dp/B001AN16QI/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1334787280&sr=1-9

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-65090-Precision-Phillips-Screwdriver/dp/B000T9UKR0/ref=sr_1_47?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1334787301&sr=1-47

Or... go nuts:

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-92092-Master-Technicians-Screwdriver/dp/B000NZ8K7C/ref=sr_1_79?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1334787383&sr=1-79

Lear
Jul 6, 2007

Fantastic. These look like just the ticket. Thanks for the tip! I'll do a little reading and then pretty sure I'll get a set tonight. Very good stuff!

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Waited a while to pull the trigger on an oscillating multitool but finally did it....why did I want so long?!! I use it all the time now, mostly for plunge cutting wood. Got a Bosch MX25

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Soooo I don't know if this is the right place to post this question:

I'm renting a house, I have a tiny tiny lot that I have to "maintain" reasonably which in my brain means "mow the lawn every two weeks".

I have no space to store a gas mower really, but how well do those old-school rotating-blade mowers do? I suppose I could just borrow a neighbor's but I'm kind of curious whether a 60 dollar hand reel mower could do the trick.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I love my reel mower. gotta sharpen it now & again but it owns.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Reel mowers are ideal for smaller spaces with nice even ground. They use the traction of the wheels to spin the blades so any holes or dips in the ground will make it tougher to keep going. They also don't do well cutting grass that's too tall, maybe above 6" depending on the model. Twigs and pine cones(!!!) will get jammed in the blades and make you come to a sudden stop and have to clear them. Slightly more expensive models claim to not need sharpening for 10 years.

All that considered, I'm happy with mine. It's a Brill model, I think Razorcut 38.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

dwoloz posted:

Waited a while to pull the trigger on an oscillating multitool but finally did it....why did I want so long?!! I use it all the time now, mostly for plunge cutting wood. Got a Bosch MX25
Welcome to the club, oscillation brother.

Speaking of, Makita finally followed the trend with a battery and corded version. Not very interesting (no tool-less blade change - boo!), but! 18V battery version! With regular 18V batteries. IIRC, only the new Fein SuperCut cordless has as much juice and that costs around $1000 and up.

http://toolguyd.com/makita-oscillating-multi-tools/

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Has anyone had a battery get jammed in their drill under normal use? I have never dropped my Hitachi 18V hammer drill, and the battery died and I couldn't get it out to change it. I pried a little bit but gave up because I didn't want to damage anything in case my warranty is still good. I haven't been pleased with the LiIon battery life either, so maybe it's a faulty kit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

WashinMyGoat posted:

Has anyone had a battery get jammed in their drill under normal use? I have never dropped my Hitachi 18V hammer drill, and the battery died and I couldn't get it out to change it. I pried a little bit but gave up because I didn't want to damage anything in case my warranty is still good. I haven't been pleased with the LiIon battery life either, so maybe it's a faulty kit.
The battery in my Makita drill stuck the first time I used it, but never again. It was just a little plastic sprue that didn't get trimmed at the factory.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I'm working on a project that I need to cut some pretty long length-wise slots into PVC pipe, but the only tool I have right now for it is a black and decker rotary tool. While it will certainly get the job done, the cuts take a long time, I have a tendency to pop a lot of the cutting disks if they're the regular ones, and I end up with PVC particles all over myself. What type of tool would be best for this task?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

gwrtheyrn posted:

What type of tool would be best for this task?

Best would be a tablesaw. Does the slot run down both sides or just one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

wormil posted:

Best would be a tablesaw. Does the slot run down both sides or just one?

Slot goes on both sides. Would there be a more optimal non-fixed tool? I mean I'd love to be able to have things like a tablesaw, bandsaw, etc, but as it is I really do need something that I can store away much like a dremel.