Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Markkei
Aug 11, 2010

Shroomie posted:

So, uh, did anybody else notice that EDI has a cameltoe in the white uniform :stare:

Yeah. Not my picture, but: http://i.imgur.com/WiQhv.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zmanl0p6 posted:

Yeah, in the codex they explain that Reapers can travel 30 light years in 24 hours without using mass relays. Since there are a bunch of dead reapers lying across the galaxy it's easy enough to assume most civilizations would reverse engineer the tech and apply it to their own ships.

And if you were to pick the Paragon ending there's a whole galaxy of Shepard-controlled Reapers tooling around, meaning that nobody even needs the mass relays anymore! That's why it's unquestionably the closest to a straight 'heroic' ending. Yes, you sacrifice yourself, but fix pretty much everything in the process without having to wipe out any species. Yeah, Tali loses her boyfriend - at least in my playthrough - but she can catch a ride back to Rannoch once the initial shock of non-murderous space-squid wears off and build that house she wanted. Or have the Geth build it for her overnight.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 11, 2012

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

nthalp posted:

Ha. Interesting when you see your own quote on a different forum..

No they aren't repulsive. It was an analogy, get over it.

You sure are a reprehensible bigoted piece of garbage, aren't you?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Damnit I'm a wuss. :(

Goodbye Thane, meet you across the sea.. :cry:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
My take on the ending, theme of sacrifice, and all that.

So, in all three games, up until this very end point, the goal is to defeat the Reapers. To stop them from destroying all (advanced) organic life. To let humanity, and all the rest, survive to see their own destiny. All three build towards this goal, it is one of the defining characteristics of Shepard that she will do "whatever it takes" to end the Reapers. Not co-opt them, or join them, or give up. To stop them, permanently.

At the end, on the Crucible, you get your three choices. You can join with the Reapers, destroying yourself to bring lasting peace. You can die to become a god of the machines.

Or, you can do what you've been trying to do for all three games and end the Reapers once and for all.

The synthesis ending is horrifying to me. You're basically deciding that all life needs to be forced into being some hybrid thing, with no chance to offer any opinion. No chance to opt out. The Control is almost as bad, with you taking the place of the Reapers, perhaps as a benevolent protector, or whatever, but you're also going to end up taking over the Geth (assuming you didn't wipe them out) and EDI as well. I suppose only wiping out two sentient races along with the Reapers isn't quite so bad as the Synth ending (which implied to me that all things would be a single entity in some fashion).

Or you do what you're supposed to, and save humanity and the rest from utter destruction by the Reapers and let them choose their future. And hey, if you do that, throw your life away to save the galaxy the way that the people who depended on you and trusted you expect, you don't die. Maybe you'll get that chance to settle down, live out your life somewhere, maybe not. We don't know yet.

The real problem you are all having with the endings is that 2 out of the 3 betray what it is to be human. Just because the choices are presented (by a machine intelligence that has sought to destroy you at all costs and has no reason to tell you the truth) doesn't make them the right choice.
:colbert:

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 11, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

nthalp posted:

gently caress off, thanks.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Like a goddamn champ.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dominic White posted:

And if you were to pick the Paragon ending there's a whole galaxy of Shepard-controlled Reapers tooling around, meaning that nobody even needs the mass relays anymore! That's why it's unquestionably the closest to a straight 'heroic' ending. Yes, you sacrifice yourself, but fix pretty much everything in the process without having to wipe out any species.

But does she become a sort-of immortal commander controlling the Reapers at all times, or does she tell them to get the gently caress out of the galaxy and never return as the Crucible tears her body apart?

nthalp posted:

How could you possibly think outing yourself as the guy who wrote that was a good idea after seeing how everyone here thinks you're a horrible person?

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I've come to believe that Bioware just simply doesn't "get" story telling.

After playing this game that is completely full of incredible character development and storytelling, are you basing this statement off the last 5 minutes of the game? If so, it's safe to say Bioware wasn't the only one not getting storytelling.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

But does she become a sort-of immortal commander controlling the Reapers at all times, or does she tell them to get the gently caress out of the galaxy and never return as the Crucible tears her body apart?

But Shep doesn't die doing that. Shep basically does what the Reapers do - adds his/her consciousness to Catalyst/Crucible and assumes direct control. Shepard, in turn, becomes a heavily-armed intergalactic peacekeeper.

At least, that's one way to write it off?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Shroomie posted:

So, uh, did anybody else notice that EDI has a cameltoe in the white uniform :stare:

Ugh I did. Thanks, Bioware-Camera!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

nthalp posted:

It was a really bad analogy that could be easily viewed as offensive. See the problem?

The analogy doesn't even work that well anyways.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Westen posted:

Seriously how the hell did we go though this game without Harbinger ever saying a drat word to Shepard? The guy never shuts up thought 2, and then suddenly he's silent? We really could have used a final "gently caress YOU SHEPARRRRD" "No gently caress YOU!".

After 3 games of them acting so superior, the how good would it feel to make a Reaper loose it's cool?

I would have liked one final "THIS HURTS YOU" just before he blasts your face off in the end.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Dolash posted:

At risk of firing up arguments we went through already, it might be worth reiterating about the Reaper motivation that the Reapers are the solution to the problem that organic life sooner or later makes synthetic life strong enough to overcome it, meaning they'll sooner or later cause all organic life to be destroyed by it - the only way they could think of to stop it long-term (as in billions of years) was to cull any civilization advanced enough to make synthetic intelligence.

You see, much as our challenge with nuclear weapons today, synthetic intelligence is an ever-present doomsday scenario for organic life. It doesn't matter if you settle peace with the Geth or teach EDI to respect life, because organic life itself has to persist over billions of years. There will be countless civilizations that rise and fall, wax and wane in that time and it only takes one to make an out-of-control AI obsessed with wiping out organics and then lose that war to extinguish organic life permanently. This is the chaos, and the Reapers are a check on this chaos.

Now, you may disagree with this. That's the destroy ending. It's an acknowledgement that if the Catalyst's creators have failed to solve the perceived problem through the Reapers (and they have, because you proved that the Reapers could be defeated) then the whole endeavour will have to be abandoned and hopefully some other solution to the problem of inevitable synthetic domination emerges.

I honestly would've preferred if their motivation had remained a secret, since just as they predicted people misunderstand the gently caress out of their logic. Some people just say "what? killing organics to save organics? That's stupid!" and give it no more thought than that as though they totally can't grasp the idea of a gardener preserving the whole by weeding out the problem cases. Other people don't understand their take on probability or get all pedantic about how even with billions of years nobody can know where civilization actually trends. It's the sort of misunderstanding and confusion that leads to people think it's bad writing, and while it's bad writing for other reasons, it's at least a coherent goal and solution.

And before people ask, yes, there are other possible solutions to the above problem and it's rather nihilistic to think this way, but that's the mindset of the Reapers/their creators. They don't believe in these other solutions until after Shepard defeats them. Trying to educate or rule organic races directly puts you at risk of being technologically surpassed at some point (thus unable to check them) or breeding resentment that eventually turns them anyway. The Singularity doesn't sound feasible to them until Shepard gets there. Simply put, they have their reasons.

Organic life is a doomsday scenario for organic life. Evolution is evolution, and for a transcendent immortal machine race (that are technically in a singularity themselves because they *are* a synthesis of organic and synthetic life) to act like they have to wipe out the primordial sea so the eukaryotes don't take over and destroy the prokaryotes (which they destined to do because I said so) seems incredibly myopic.

Also the whole "nobody who disagrees with me understands them and are being pedantic" thing you've had going on this whole time is really insulting and condescending, thanks.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My wife's a bit farther along in the game than me, but didn't do any of the side quests. She's currently at going to the Citadel and finding out Cerberus took over. Is she hosed and should just start over or what?

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

CrushedB posted:

Organic life is a doomsday scenario for organic life. Evolution is evolution, and for a transcendent immortal machine race (that are technically in a singularity themselves because they *are* a synthesis of organic and synthetic life) to act like they have to wipe out the primordial sea so the eukaryotes don't take over the prokaryotes (which they destined to do because I said so) seems incredibly myopic.

Also the whole "nobody who disagrees with me understands them and are being pedantic" thing you've had going on this whole time is really insulting and condescending, thanks.

Hes been repeating the same dumb argument for days, don't bother trying to argue.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't really care that much about the final choice; final choices that don't take into account the games that preceded them are pretty much bog standard now (see also: DX:HR). Basically my problem with the ending is that they pulled a reverse Lost. If you'll remember, the big knock on Lost for a lot of people was that it ended by essentially handwaving / shrugging off / not making good on a lot of its mystery and mythology, and the creators justified it by saying "ours was not a plot-driven story, but a character-driven story".

If the ending of ME3 is any indication, Bioware considered ME3 a plot-driven story, when most fans seem to consider it a character-driven one. I certainly did. So to end the game without resolutions for any of the still-living characters was a huge disappointment.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Psyker posted:

But Shep doesn't die doing that. Shep basically does what the Reapers do - adds his/her consciousness to Catalyst/Crucible and assumes direct control. Shepard, in turn, becomes a heavily-armed intergalactic peacekeeper.

Does the game actually explain it this way? I beat it kind of late and wasn't really all there mentally, I actually completely misunderstood the options presented to me and thought the only one that would destroy the Mass Relays was the synthesis option (Imagine my surprise when they exploded anyway!), so I'm willing to believe I completely misinterpreted it.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

nwin posted:

My wife's a bit farther along in the game than me, but didn't do any of the side quests. She's currently at going to the Citadel and finding out Cerberus took over. Is she hosed and should just start over or what?

No there's a few side quests that expire after awhile (not sure when) but most of them don't. You get a pretty obvious warning from Admiral Hackett when you are about to reach the point of no return.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

CrushedB posted:

Apologies. It's a difficult point to argue since naturally the Reapers themselves are condescending and arrogant, both in tone and in reasoning, and it tends to leak into any analysis of their thinking. Suffice it to say that I don't agree with their conclusions, but I do agree that it is understandable why they would believe it difficult for organics to understand (the number of people who say "Killing organics to save organics? That doesn't make sense!" alone sort of proves that point).

Regardless though, it is not my intent to offend, so I apologize.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Psyker posted:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

nwin posted:

At that point all of the sidequests that were previously open are closed, and the second half of the game begins with a new crop of sidequests. I did pretty much the same thing and while I completed all remaining sidequests and the like, I got to the end with ~600 points under what the optimal ending asset total would be (assuming no multiplayer or iOS gaming).

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ending ideas:I've sort of digested the endings over the last day, and something occurred to me. There are a few points in the game that I remember that drove home the difficulty of choice and how sometimes making the right choice is sacrificing this or that. I distinctly remember that conversation happening a couple times, at least once with Hackett.

Now, the endings rob all player agency, but it seems to me that Bioware wanted players to make the choice of sacrifice for the greater good, so they removed all choice at all. They wanted the denouement to be on their own terms, nevermind that it made no sense. The same stunt got pulled at the end of Dragon Age 2 with the honcho mage hulking out with a demon regardless of what you do.

One good thing that comes from the ending is the song that plays when the Normandy crashes. Love that song.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

nwin posted:

Downsides, a lot of people die, I'll name them Thane does die, Kelly, if she even exists in your game (have to have dinner with her) dies. Uhhh...I can't think of anyone else buttt Upside if she saved Kirrahe He will die instead of the councillor, whereas if you talk to Thane, he bites the bullet for the councillor instead If she hasn't saved Kirrahe from Me1 then Kaiden dies

Spoiler free. Save Kirrahe and not much willlll be messed up in my opinion, otherwise...ehhh. If she has a recent save, I'd load it and do Citadel stuff, a lot of things change, she may miss out on lots of little sidequests. If she's trying to max EMS that is.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Dominic White posted:

And if you were to pick the Paragon ending there's a whole galaxy of Shepard-controlled Reapers tooling around, meaning that nobody even needs the mass relays anymore! That's why it's unquestionably the closest to a straight 'heroic' ending. Yes, you sacrifice yourself, but fix pretty much everything in the process without having to wipe out any species. Yeah, Tali loses her boyfriend - at least in my playthrough - but she can catch a ride back to Rannoch once the initial shock of non-murderous space-squid wears off and build that house she wanted. Or have the Geth build it for her overnight.

Hey, we're cool now! See the blue lights? Just hop on board, and we'll take you all back home over the next few years. We promise not to mind control you or turn you into horrid twisted abominations this time! Honest! :toot:

vvv:No, people are pissed off because the endings are terrible, don't explain anything, are literal color swaps of each other, and completely clash with the themes and expectations set up by 80+ hours of gameplay over 3 games, leading to a feeling of intense disappointment.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 11, 2012

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Haha people are writing giant walls of pissed-off text because there's not a "you saved everything and fixed all problems" ending. This reminds me of being 12 years old and having Super Serious internet arguments about the end of Final Fantasy 7

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Does the game actually explain it this way? I beat it kind of late and wasn't really all there mentally, I actually completely misunderstood the options presented to me and thought the only one that would destroy the Mass Relays was the synthesis option (Imagine my surprise when they exploded anyway!), so I'm willing to believe I completely misinterpreted it.

The game doesn't explain anything remotely well in that part. You'd be better off just making up your own ending, odds are overwhelming that it'll be significantly superior to the crap we got.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

swamp waste posted:

Haha people are writing giant walls of pissed-off text because there's not a "you saved everything and fixed all problems" ending. This reminds me of being 12 years old and having Super Serious internet arguments about the end of Final Fantasy 7

No, I'm pretty sure people are doing that becuase the ending is loving terrible, and not becuase you don't save everything. I do think that people proposing alternate endings are being silly though, since they are either regurgitating what has already been said a thousand times or coming up with equally terrible ideas.

I really don't see how anyone could find the ending to be satisfying though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
ME 3 was basically the anti-LOST. Where lost ended the series with all the characters having a conclusion at the expense of explaining the plot, ME3 does the opposite.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

It's not a bad ending because it's not a "good as in happy and sunshine and rainbows and yay the good guys all win and the bad guys lose woohoo", it's a bad ending because it's a lovely and poorly written ending that comes out of nowhere and doesn't even match the themes of the three games that preceded it.

Imagine if The Usual Suspects ended with Kevin Spacey hopping onto a UFO because he was really an alien the whole time. You see how that ending is stupid because it comes out of nowhere and doesn't have anything to do with the movie that came before it? How it doesn't make for a satisfying finish to the story you were just watching? That's exactly why the ME3 ending is bad.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 11, 2012

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Blue Raider posted:

Ending ideas:I've sort of digested the endings over the last day, and something occurred to me. There are a few points in the game that I remember that drove home the difficulty of choice and how sometimes making the right choice is sacrificing this or that. I distinctly remember that conversation happening a couple times, at least once with Hackett.

Now, the endings rob all player agency, but it seems to me that Bioware wanted players to make the choice of sacrifice for the greater good, so they removed all choice at all. They wanted the denouement to be on their own terms, nevermind that it made no sense. The same stunt got pulled at the end of Dragon Age 2 with the honcho mage hulking out with a demon regardless of what you do.

One good thing that comes from the ending is the song that plays when the Normandy crashes. Love that song.

The funny part about Dragon Age 2 is if you take the "correct(?)" ending and side with the templars the ending makes even less sense. Instead of "Hawke and co. ran off into the wilderness and no one ever heard from her again. Its "Hawke became the arl of Kirkwall or w/e and then uh... disappeared...?"

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

swamp waste posted:

Haha, you're so cool and edgy.

No the endings were terrible and it's not lame to think they're dumb and feel like there should have been a better ending. Has nothing to do with BAD STUFF(tm)

HappyKittens
Feb 4, 2012

by angerbutt
I remember reading from the leaked script that there was originally supposed to a ending where Shepard simply sends reapers back to the dark space where they will wait another 50K years and return presumbly to a much more prepared galaxy. What happened to that?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

HappyKittens posted:

I remember reading from the leaked script that there was originally supposed to a ending where Shepard simply sends reapers back to the dark space where they will wait another 50K years and return presumbly to a much more prepared galaxy. What happened to that?

It was prolly canned because that sounds really dumb.

Shepard: Hey you Reapers get out of here :argh:
Reapers: Oh poo poo, lets go, he looks mad.

(I dunno why, but there are better endings)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

HappyKittens posted:

They hastily changed it due to how fans got pissed at how lovely it was. How they hosed it up even worse I have no idea.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

HappyKittens posted:

They probably scrapped it because it's an utterly awful idea for an ending.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They hastily changed it due to how fans got pissed at how lovely it was. How they hosed it up even worse I have no idea.

Hold on. Can you verify this was the original planned leak? It would explain this hastily shoehorned alternative.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Dolphin Fetus posted:

He was my favorite character, but his death wasn't as bad as Mordin's. Mordin became way too likeable in 3, especially with his new little rhymes to remember things. His death sequence was too much for me. At least he undid the Genophage :qq:

Also just to check:
I just finished the Quarian set of missions and I was wondering if this was the best outcome: Legion gets the new intelligence from the Reapers so all of the Geth can have free will. Unfortunately it looks like Quarians already had their butts handed to them on a silver platter. And despite my paragon interrupt Tali jumps off a cliff into the water. All of this was pretty surprising and I dont know if I Could have made a certain decision along the line to stop it.

And I just finished the mission where I was supposed to retrieve the special Asari technology for the Crucible. That failed when the ninja guy showed up and it looks like that planet altogether is screwed. Nothing I could have done there right?

Looks like the results of your actions from ME1 and ME2 have changed from little mentions and references to entirely different things with major characters involved. I think the Asari thing was supposed to happen, but the amount of awful things that happened to the Quarians in that short time was really :stare:worthy.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

This is probably getting old in this thread by now, BUT

ending stuff
I have never felt more robbed of an ending of a game since Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I get to go one of three roads and just pick my ending? The entire 29 hours I spent playing does not count towards how I will experience the end of my game, or at least let me feel like I did something worthwhile?

At this point I'm not sure I can manage to convince myself to play through with a 100% male shepard run, as my finished run was a rickety-rackety half-assed ME->ME2->ME3 savegame in which I did not exclusively bother to get everything right. At each turn I will have in the back of my head a voice reminding me that "None of this matters."

I do want to be proven wrong here though, can you get variations?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The way I look at it is this. This is a game. I play games to have fun. I am having fun playing this game again after beating it. Function fulfilled. Even if I think the endings could have been better, it doesn't matter. This is how they wanted to end their series and I think they have their right to that. Fans can decide if they hate it enough not to buy anymore Bioware games. But I hope they do, because I love Bioware games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pladdicus posted:

It was prolly canned because that sounds really dumb.

Shepard: Hey you Reapers get out of here :argh:
Reapers: Oh poo poo, lets go, he looks mad.

(I dunno why, but there are better endings)

I mean, that could work as a "bad" ending, like if you didn't have enough preparedness the best Shepard can do is to make the Reapers run away, but nothing's actually solved and maybe the galaxy is majorly hosed up in the meantime; do better and you blow up the whole fleet with the power of friendship or something, I don't care. At least it fits the universe somewhat and doesn't start throwing themes at you five minutes from the end.

• Locked thread