Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

ILikeVoltron posted:

Watch out, these guys sent me a Criterion that is missing the clip to hold the cylinder into the base. This means I have a ~200 lamp post sitting in my office.

http://imgur.com/a/O7Wov

Sent them an email and am waiting on a response. I have no idea what they are going to do.

:ohdear:

Let us know how it works out. Someone else said they got a Mirra from them without any problems.

I talked with them over the phone before I ordered and they said they guarantee everything will be right, so hopefully they stand by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Hard to quantify until after you've plopped your rear end in the chair but...

I was "upgraded" to this garbage office chair which LOOKS like a higher end item. (OOOOH LEATHER YAYY!!)

However, when shuffling around my cube, when I scoot myself forward the chair wants to pitch me forward and faceplant me into my work surface. Its crap.

Really just about how the legs are centered under the seat of the chair I'd say.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Some of the shittiest chairs I've ever seen have been leather. Definitely doesn't mean it's high end.

Really, the chair market is a racket that always ends up screwing the end user. It's really sad to see companies not willing to spend the money to outfit their employees correctly - like LeftistMuslimObama, if they don't spend more than that $331 on getting you a decent chair, they will end up paying thousands worker's comp bill. You WILL injure yourself sitting in the chair you're in now. No one wants that, but everyone's just looking at the piddling cents they're saving getting the lowest-end chair possible. It's maddening.

And even if they are willing to pay more, the resources to pick out the right chair just aren't there. The customers I have here in the Bay Area are lucky to have us because of everything I can offer them, but I feel bad for the rest of the country...

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Kim Jong III posted:

:ohdear:

Let us know how it works out. Someone else said they got a Mirra from them without any problems.

I talked with them over the phone before I ordered and they said they guarantee everything will be right, so hopefully they stand by that.

Yea, I ended up taking the washer/clip/star thingie out of my old office depo chair and refit this one together so I'm sitting in the criterion now. Dunno how they are going to respond though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kim Jong III posted:

Check out the previously mentioned http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/ if you can't find anything closer to you.

I just ordered a Leap V2 from them, and it'll be $399 with delivery. You're much closer to their Chicago center than I am, so delivery might be cheaper.

I don't know what chair would be best for a 6'4" dude but maybe you can find something decent there?

I see a leap v2 in purple on there for 299. The Leap is pretty universally liked around here, right?

I see from their inventory that my home chair is a Steelcase "Sensor". It's a godawful chair, I only have it because someone gave it to me and I have no money.

Any other tall goons rocking a leap v2?

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."

ILikeVoltron posted:

Watch out, these guys sent me a Criterion that is missing the clip to hold the cylinder into the base. This means I have a ~200 lamp post sitting in my office.

http://imgur.com/a/O7Wov

Sent them an email and am waiting on a response. I have no idea what they are going to do.

For the guys who've ordered from here, how was the quality of the chair when your received it? I know they are used but are they trashed, lightly used, looks like new, etc?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Chow-King posted:

For the guys who've ordered from here, how was the quality of the chair when your received it? I know they are used but are they trashed, lightly used, looks like new, etc?

Well, did you click on the image I linked? The box came trashed as all hell and was missing the lock ring/clip that keeps the gas chamber attached to the base. Besides that though, the chair is in immaculate condition. I have a feeling they replaced the upholstery before shipping it. I will note this one other thing, the chair I got has really sticky arm rests. I attacked it with some green clean for about 30 minutes and couldn't get it much less sticky. I currently have some dish towels wrapped around the arm rests until I get another chance to clean it. Overall I'm mildly disappointed with the whole thing but I can't ignore I have essentially a $700 chair for <$200. *Shrug*

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."

ILikeVoltron posted:

Well, did you click on the image I linked? The box came trashed as all hell and was missing the lock ring/clip that keeps the gas chamber attached to the base. Besides that though, the chair is in immaculate condition. I have a feeling they replaced the upholstery before shipping it. I will note this one other thing, the chair I got has really sticky arm rests. I attacked it with some green clean for about 30 minutes and couldn't get it much less sticky. I currently have some dish towels wrapped around the arm rests until I get another chance to clean it. Overall I'm mildly disappointed with the whole thing but I can't ignore I have essentially a $700 chair for <$200. *Shrug*

Imgur was overloaded at the time so I couldn't take a look. From the way they shipped it, looks like I'm gonna try to find a different place to buy from.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Holy poo poo, that box. :stare:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

c355n4 posted:

A little late; but...

http://www.furnitureresellers.com/directions.html

I just ordered a Steelcase Leap from them. Literally walked into the location sat in one and they're prepping one for me to pick up Friday. They had lots of others models; but, I wanted a Leap specifically since we have them at work and I know they are comfortable for me.

Just to clarify on price since I didn't mention it. I paid $250 for an immaculate chair, the only wear is on the feet where your shoes would scratch it up. I really did not want to deal with shipping.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Found an Aeron for 200 bucks on Craiglist that "no longer goes up and down." Asking the person if they know what is wrong with it, but I may snatch it up because the chair I am in sucks and is old and I think I may have finally broken it tonight cause it's leaning way to the left.

How long are the warranties on these things?

EDIT: Dude says the chair is at 17" and the hydraulic lift is broken. My current chair is at 17" and my desk is not much higher than that, so, is this a steal or is this a steal? Is there a good way for me to make sure I'm actually buying an Aeron when I go check it out?

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 12, 2012

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Quidnose posted:

Found an Aeron for 200 bucks on Craiglist that "no longer goes up and down." Asking the person if they know what is wrong with it, but I may snatch it up because the chair I am in sucks and is old and I think I may have finally broken it tonight cause it's leaning way to the left.

How long are the warranties on these things?

EDIT: Dude says the chair is at 17" and the hydraulic lift is broken. My current chair is at 17" and my desk is not much higher than that, so, is this a steal or is this a steal? Is there a good way for me to make sure I'm actually buying an Aeron when I go check it out?

Herman Miller offers a 12 year warranty but it's not transferable. I think some of the people here have indicated that they're not super strict on checking this, but it's still a potential risk. The chair should have a warranty label, and you can call Herman Miller & check how long the warranty is good for -- 888-443-4357.

If the chair won't lift, it's probably a worn out gas cylinder, and I think those are ~$35-$45 to replace. You can probably find a youtube video to instruct you.

Plenty of chairs are designed to resemble Aerons, but I don't know that anyone makes "fake Aerons". Look for the Herman Miller text on the top back of the frame. Look for the warranty label. If you can, go to a local retailer & check out a new Aeron in person so you'll know what to look for.

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri

Splizwarf posted:

Holy poo poo, that box. :stare:

I'm the other guy that got a Mirra and an Aeron from that company. My chairs came plastic wrapped in some beat up boxes. I think the freight company they use chews up the boxes like that. Otherwise, both of the chairs I got are in perfect, clean working order.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's not the freight company's fault, lack of appropriate packing media chews boxes up like that. For something heavy like a chair the box should be filled reasonably tightly with shredded cardboard packed around the chair, to prevent flexing and gross structural collapse, which is what you're looking at there. That box has to go on conveyor belts, be moved from truck to truck, and have boxes stacked on and around it.

There's no packing media because either they don't know what condition the boxes are arriving in (unlikely), or they're trying to save probably ~$15 in packing materials and shipping costs (at the expense of your goodwill). I ship heavy crap for a living and that box blows my mind with how little a poo poo they give about you and your opinion. Check the chair to see if they wrote "Go gently caress yourself!" on the seatback.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 12, 2012

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri

Splizwarf posted:

It's not the freight company's fault, lack of appropriate packing media chews boxes up like that. For something heavy like a chair the box should be filled reasonably tightly with shredded cardboard packed around the chair, to prevent flexing and gross structural collapse, which is what you're looking at there. That box has to go on conveyor belts, be moved from truck to truck, and have boxes stacked on and around it.

There's no packing media because either they don't know what condition the boxes are arriving in (unlikely), or they're trying to save probably ~$15 in packing materials and shipping costs (at the expense of your goodwill). I ship heavy crap for a living and that box blows my mind with how little a poo poo they give about you and your opinion. Check the chair to see if they wrote "Go gently caress yourself!" on the seatback.

Sounds about right then, I don't do shipping for a living so it was speculation on my part. It would make sense they're trying to save money on shipping because they include it with the purchase price (don't charge you more). Granted, this doesn't make it forgivable by any means so anyone else buying from them should request they package their chairs correctly.

My experience with them has been good and I am happy with the $800 chair I got for $300 :)

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Kim Jong III posted:

Herman Miller offers a 12 year warranty but it's not transferable. I think some of the people here have indicated that they're not super strict on checking this, but it's still a potential risk. The chair should have a warranty label, and you can call Herman Miller & check how long the warranty is good for -- 888-443-4357.

If the chair won't lift, it's probably a worn out gas cylinder, and I think those are ~$35-$45 to replace. You can probably find a youtube video to instruct you.

Plenty of chairs are designed to resemble Aerons, but I don't know that anyone makes "fake Aerons". Look for the Herman Miller text on the top back of the frame. Look for the warranty label. If you can, go to a local retailer & check out a new Aeron in person so you'll know what to look for.

Ended up getting it from the guy for $175. It's super low but so is my desk so I may not even fix the gas cylinder for now. Man am I in love with it, though! Thanks for the info :)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Chair arrives end of the week :woop:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

What's the recommended max height and weight for a Herman Miller Reaction? Google's not delivering for me on this one.

Anyone? :ohdear:

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Anyone? :ohdear:

I have a reaction, but for the life of me have no idea about the weight. I can't seem to find any indicator. I can try and measure the seat to floor height when I get home though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh; I meant max height/weight for the occupant, like the ABC system they have for some models. I'm sitting in one now, I just want to know if there's any official documentation for how badly I don't fit in it.

Imagine sitting in yours if you were 6'7" and 340lbs. In the max "raised" position, the seatback doesn't come up to my shoulder blades, and my knees are <90 degrees so my feet support my legs instead of the chair seat. It's got nice fabric, though. :unsmith: Without some official explanation of the limits it's actually designed for, complaining's a good way to get canned; I live in an At-Will Employment state (VA).

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 13, 2012

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I found a price book for the reaction: http://www.hermanmiller.com/hm/content/pricing_information/shared_assets/files/PB_REA.pdf

No mention of its weight rating, but there's plenty of people sitting in chairs above their weight rating - it just means the chair wears down faster, you shouldn't be hurt.

Edit: There it is. Under Notes on page 5: "Chair is tested and warranted for use by persons 300 pounds and under."

The height is a whole different matter. I see that the seat height is 16-20.5" on the Reaction. That's much too short for you. You need a higher cylinder on there. Unfortunately that's not an easy thing. Try looking for independent dealers in your area that sell herman miller and ask if you can order a higher cylinder for a Reaction chair. Some will blow you off but you may find one that will sell it to you - then to switch it out all you should need is a hammer, look on youtube for instructions.

Edit: I'm actually surprised by how low the seat height is on this chair. My company, most of our standard chairs go 17-22", and even they are too short for someone 6'7". The Reaction is practically a petite chair when it comes to height. You need a minimum height of 22-23", I'd say.

As for the back, the important part isn't that it covers your whole back - it's that it gives adequate support in the lumbar region (the small of your back). It looks like the Reaction has a back height adjustment - try playing with that until you find a more comfortable spot. If you have the back at its highest height and it's still below your lumbar, you need a different chair.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 13, 2012

Moggie
Sep 14, 2010
I'm in need of a new computer chair because my last one broke. I'm on my computer a ton but I cannot afford or seem to justify myself spending $1000 to buy a Aeron or a Steelcase Leap, plus I'm not sure of anywhere to get a used one that will ship to Ontario (GTA)... we have Aeron's at work though and they're amazing.

Does anyone have any experience with Office Star chairs? I have been looking around online at chairs a lot and I'm leaning towards getting one of these:

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product...CA&Sp=C&topnav=

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10345999&whse=BCCA&topnav=

I think option A looks better... I also a fat bastard that weighs 260 lbs and option B has a weight limit of 250...

Anyone care to share any insight into this?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Moggie posted:

I'm in need of a new computer chair because my last one broke. I'm on my computer a ton but I cannot afford or seem to justify myself spending $1000 to buy a Aeron or a Steelcase Leap, plus I'm not sure of anywhere to get a used one that will ship to Ontario (GTA)... we have Aeron's at work though and they're amazing.

I would recommend checking Craigslist - I got a Leap with a bit of wear on some of the fabric but in perfect mechanical condition for $200 not long ago.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Moggie posted:

I think option A looks better... I also a fat bastard that weighs 260 lbs and option B has a weight limit of 250...
If you're 260 you should be fine in a chair with a 250 weight limit. I can't speak to the quality of the chair without trying it, but option B has all the necessary adjustment options - you could do a lot worse than that one.

Option A isn't suited to computer use at all. It's more of a conference or executive chair (and a cheap one at that). Nice for lounging but an ergonomic nightmare for work/gaming.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Alright, I got my chair purchase approved. I went and sat in a Leap at a store here, and it was pretty nice. The only thing was that the seat could have been a little wider. They had another model that had exactly that, but it had no price on it, and I can't find any used ones online anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can find a Leap with a wider seat for cheap online before I go ahead and order from here: http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/products/steelcase-leap-v2-task-chair-purple

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
Got my Leap v2 in from National Office Liquidators today.

The good: The chair looks really nice. It's got very minimal wear on the armrests, and the fabric looks brand new for a chair made in 2006. No major paint scuffs. The wheels look a little dusty & scuffed, and the little plastic piece under the armrest that details the adjustments is a little worn down, but for a chair this old & this cheap, I'm shocked at how good it really looks.

The bad: It shipped with a bad gas cylinder, so it won't maintain height. I spoke with Brian, the manager of their Chicago office, who apologized, assured me this was an oversight, and told me he'd have a new replacement shipped out today.

The ugly: The packaging they do is atrocious. There's absolutely nothing inside the box but chair, so it's no wonder the cardboard collapses to hell. I'll put pictures up in a minute. I will note, however, that I didn't appear to have any issues with the shipping, but someone else might.

At the end of the day, it's a real mixed bag. If they do ship out the replacement cylinder and I don't have to fight too hard to get it, it'll be a great purchase.

E: Pics

Chair looks nice, though

And holy crap my armrests have a sticky feel too. Off to find something to clean them with...

VVV :ohdear: sorry to hear it, that really sucks. :( I know the manager told me my cylinder problem was an "oversight" but it sounds like they have some consistent issues...

Johnny Cache Hit fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 22, 2012

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
National Office Liquidators shipped me a new brace for the chair, except they are missing one of the bearings that hugs the rod the chair uses for its gas chamber. God, what a loving failure. Anyway, I would not recommended using them, it took them almost 2 weeks AFTER I reported the lack of a bracket. So from start to finish it took 5 weeks to get the chair and replacement parts which STILL isn't all the right parts. Screw these guys. Love my chair though, thankfully I was able to replace the missing parts with my old chair. Now I can't even sell the old chair, I have to throw it away.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

titaniumone posted:

Got my Embody yesterday. I went with the Balance fabric because it was only $50 to upgrade to it.

It's really comfortable, really adjustable, and it 'moves' with you when you fidget or stretch. Sitting in normal chairs (even my Aeron at work) feels like sitting on a very rigid park bench in comparison.

My Aeron is still comfortable, but the Embody really beats it. poo poo is awesome.

I was just about to buy one, but I can't seem to find the orange one that the embody is marketed with everywhere!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ILikeVoltron posted:

National Office Liquidators shipped me a new brace for the chair, except they are missing one of the bearings that hugs the rod the chair uses for its gas chamber. God, what a loving failure. Anyway, I would not recommended using them, it took them almost 2 weeks AFTER I reported the lack of a bracket. So from start to finish it took 5 weeks to get the chair and replacement parts which STILL isn't all the right parts. Screw these guys. Love my chair though, thankfully I was able to replace the missing parts with my old chair. Now I can't even sell the old chair, I have to throw it away.

I wish I'd heard these posts last week, because I made my order on Tuesday :(

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I wish I'd heard these posts last week, because I made my order on Tuesday :(

You'll probably be OK. I was all worried too, though :)

Let us know how it works out for you!

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri
They're fine, the packaging just looks like rear end. If you have an issue with it just call them and they'll fix it.

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

I've been using a Herman Miller Mirra for the last 4 years (got it when the Mirra was relatively new I think) and paid full price. I recently was at my parents for two weeks and was using some generic office chair from Staples and my lower back was killing me after the first week. It reminded me that I haven't had any discomfort or back pain ever since I bought the Mirra. I did have one problem, however, where the Y-support snapped off the back of the chair. I called a certified Herman Miller repair center (45 minutes away) and they sent out a person to fix it within a few days at no expense to me.

If you're still on the fence about switching from some OfficeMax trash to a proper chair then I say go for it. I don't consider the Mirra a great lounging chair but there is never a moment of discomfort and the 12-year warranty is awesome.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I tried out the size-b Aeron and it was not pleasant at all. The hard plastic edge at the front cut off the circulation in my legs. I'm 5'9" and this should have been the perfect size for me according to their chart. I couldn't sit in that thing for more than 10 minutes. I wish you could adjust the seat depth like on the Leap chairs.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I tried out the size-b Aeron and it was not pleasant at all. The hard plastic edge at the front cut off the circulation in my legs. I'm 5'9" and this should have been the perfect size for me according to their chart. I couldn't sit in that thing for more than 10 minutes. I wish you could adjust the seat depth like on the Leap chairs.

I thought you could? Maybe the one you sat on wasn't configured to.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

rawrr posted:

I thought you could? Maybe the one you sat on wasn't configured to.

It was the fully-adjustable model. All it lets you adjust is the seat height, forward and back tilt, and the arms. The Leap chairs let you move the seat forward or backwards to accomodate taller/shorter people.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The back of my poor office chair broke. :cry: I don't even know how that happened, it just snapped out of nowhere. There's probably no way to fix this, is there :ohdear: Judging from the way it looks, it may have been a Boss chair, but I'm not certain on that. It looks a little like this, but isn't exactly the same.

As a somewhat poor college student that inherited this chair from the last person that lived here, what are some good economical choices for a desk chair? I don't need anything superfancy, just comfortable to sit in. I've been looking at choices maybe like this, this, or this, but I'm no expert, so I'd like some advice or suggestions. Ideas, anyone?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Sitting in my new Leap :smug:

gently caress FedEx for misdelivering it and making me wait an extra 5 days to get it though :argh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mu Zeta posted:

Did you set the seat height correctly?

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Chasiubao posted:

Sitting in my new Leap :smug:

gently caress FedEx for misdelivering it and making me wait an extra 5 days to get it though :argh:

:smug: :hf: :smug: Where did you end up buying it?

I wasn't sure about mine until I was driving home and I realized my lower back wasn't throbbing. It's going to be even more awesome when I get the replacement air cylinder in & I can lift the thing a bit.

Mu Zeta posted:

I tried out the size-b Aeron and it was not pleasant at all. The hard plastic edge at the front cut off the circulation in my legs.

I swear the Aeron I tried out had a piece of foam over the plastic edge at the front. This is really confusing me because I had a really basic Aeron at my last job and I remember having the same gripe as you. Did Herman Miller change something up or am I losing it :psyduck:

Pollyanna posted:

As a somewhat poor college student that inherited this chair from the last person that lived here, what are some good economical choices for a desk chair?

How much time are you spending in your chair?

Are you in a biggish city? I'd check out Craigslist for a used Aeron - they tend to pop up. You could look for a Mirra or a Leap but I don't see those as often.

If you aren't spending much time sitting in a chair you might be able to get away with a big box store chair, but it'll probably break after a year or two. If you get a good quality used Leap/Aeron you'll pay a bit more but it'll last forever & your back will love you.

Johnny Cache Hit fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Kim Jong III posted:

:smug: :hf: :smug: Where did you end up buying it?

Company that does corporate office stuff. New, not used.