Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Sie posted:

So I'm playing Bloodlines for the first time as a Toreadore and I'd much rather talk and hack my way through the game rather than relying too much on combat. For the social and diplomatic side of things, is it worth stacking points into seduction, persuasion and intimidate or that just overkill?

I haven't really found some of the feat descriptions all that useful when character building; some don't really tell me how the feat relates in gameplay terms. Sure, stuff like seduction is simple to figure out - a dialogue based skill - but something like inspection? No idea.

Any tips?

You do get more dialogue options with multiple talking skills, so I think that is funny and makes it worth it. But yeah they are often redundant if your goal is to "get person x to do y".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
I think you'll be struggling for enough points for the first parts of the game, and end up missing some of the options because all of them are too low instead of one of them being high enough. Just do persuade.

Sie
Apr 26, 2009

Thanks for the tips.

I wasn't far into the game at all with my Toreadore so I've decided to start again as a Tremere character based on the advice. I also found this webpage here very informative when it came to deciding what feats I wanted to concentrate on. Probably handy for anyone else just starting out.

So now my starting feats are:

Defence - 5
Persuasion and Research - 4
Hacking and Melee - 3
Thaumaturgy and Unarmed - 2
The rest - 1

Defence being 5 wasn't planned, rather a side effect of stacking wit for hacking and having a spare point in Talents placed into Dodge. Whether stacking defence that high early on translates to usefulness in the game I've no idea but I'm probably over thinking it now so I'm just going to crack on. I figure an extra point here instead of there probably won't make all that much difference.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
So, I'm playing through this for the first time and I've encountered a rather frustrating bug which Google has been unhelpful in fixing.

I'm trying to get to the 5th floor of the Empire Hotel in Downtown LA to find Jezebel Locke and the elevator seems to be bugged/broken. I've tried to press the 5th floor button from every angle imaginable, but the elevator only ever takes me to the 6th floor.

Any suggestions?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

So, I'm playing through this for the first time and I've encountered a rather frustrating bug which Google has been unhelpful in fixing.

I'm trying to get to the 5th floor of the Empire Hotel in Downtown LA to find Jezebel Locke and the elevator seems to be bugged/broken. I've tried to press the 5th floor button from every angle imaginable, but the elevator only ever takes me to the 6th floor.

Any suggestions?

Try looking for a ventilation shaft.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Convex posted:

Try looking for a ventilation shaft.

I've crawled in the one that goes from the parking garage outside the Hotel over the kitchen and into the elevator. I'll poke around some more and see if there's a different one that takes me to the 5th floor, thanks!

Edit: nevermind, figured it out. The Mafia and Jezebel are both on the same floor, the quest text and dialogue are just confusing when combined with the fact that the elevator has keys for both 5th and 6th floor but only actually goes to the 5th!

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 4, 2012

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

Any suggestions?

I've had that bug a lot where the 'hotspot' (for lack of a better word) for the button isn't in the same position as the button itself. Try looking around where the buttons are (i find usually below) and look for the elevator button icon to show on screen and then press use rather than relying on what button your mouse is over. It's really loving confusing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

I've crawled in the one that goes from the parking garage outside the Hotel over the kitchen and into the elevator. I'll poke around some more and see if there's a different one that takes me to the 5th floor, thanks!

Edit: nevermind, figured it out. The Mafia and Jezebel are both on the same floor, the quest text and dialogue are just confusing when combined with the fact that the elevator has keys for both 5th and 6th floor but only actually goes to the 5th!

Gah, I was thinking of the apartment block. Sorry!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just as a minor question, but is there any other game made that was like this? Because I really loved this game when it came out, and there don't seem to be any others quite like it now.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Just as a minor question, but is there any other game made that was like this? Because I really loved this game when it came out, and there don't seem to be any others quite like it now.

Well, the game closest to it is probably Deus Ex: Human Revolution. But it has way less quest content and a different tone.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

DemonNick posted:

Well, the game closest to it is probably Deus Ex: Human Revolution. But it has way less quest content and a different tone.

Already finished it... but you know your really right on that score. Can you imagine them doing V:TMB on the same scale as Human Revolution?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Josef bugman posted:

Because I really loved this game when it came out, and there don't seem to be any others quite like it now.

I guess that's why we're still talking about this game. :smug:

edit: reading this thread has gotten me to play again as Tremere for the first time. I don't know if I've never noticed or if it's only Tremere, but what's with the black shadowy figure that disappears when you get close next to the pawn shop in Santa Monica?

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 5, 2012

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

jerkstoresup posted:

edit: reading this thread has gotten me to play again as Tremere for the first time. I don't know if I've never noticed or if it's only Tremere, but what's with the black shadowy figure that disappears when you get close next to the pawn shop in Santa Monica?

Honestly it's probably a graphical bug. But it COULD be cain!! It's always cain.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

jerkstoresup posted:

I posted this somewhere in this in this thread or the old one, but there is that eyeless blooddoll in the Hallowbrook hotel. I tried to put him out of his misery, but as soon as I swung some shadowy figure grabbed him and took him through the ceiling :eek:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Odd posted:

Honestly it's probably a graphical bug. But it COULD be cain!! It's always cain.

I thought that was Beckett?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Ugh, just had my immersion shattered. LaCroix told me Grout's Mansion was in the Hollywood Hills and that matches the view from the mansion in-game, however, based on the fast-travel map it's located in Glendale. :colbert:

Edit: Actually none of the in-game locations particularly resemble their real-life counterparts. But it's not a bad game so far!

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 5, 2012

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pellisworth posted:

Ugh, just had my immersion shattered. LaCroix told me Grout's Mansion was in the Hollywood Hills and that matches the view from the mansion in-game, however, based on the fast-travel map it's located in Glendale. :colbert:

No, vampires are just loving terrible at reading maps so it only looks that way on the map

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: Actually none of the in-game locations particularly resemble their real-life counterparts. But it's not a bad game so far!

C'mon, you can't expect Troika to get every single detail right. They were based in Irvine. That's practically on the other side of the country!

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Josef bugman posted:

Already finished it... but you know your really right on that score. Can you imagine them doing V:TMB on the same scale as Human Revolution?

A VtMB Remake like this haunts my dreams.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Josef bugman posted:

Sploosh.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Athenry posted:

I thought that was Beckett?

It's the Kuei-Jin that's part of the Knox quest. Beckett shows up as a wolf up on the cliff as you walk towards the Carnival.

EDIT: Spoilertagged because hey, some people might be playing this for the first time after the sale. (how I envy them)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fuzz posted:

It's the Kuei-Jin that's part of the Knox quest. Beckett shows up as a wolf up on the cliff as you walk towards the Carnival.

EDIT: Spoilertagged because hey, some people might be playing this for the first time after the sale. (how I envy them)

There's also the axe-murderer you see in the boiler room in the haunted hotel. That poo poo freaked me out pretty good and I had to re-load my savegame to double-check that I hadn't imagined it.

I'm in the Museum now. I really wish someone would make a game that met combined the best bits of Assassin's Creed and Vampire: Bloodlines.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Pellisworth posted:

There's also the axe-murderer you see in the boiler room in the haunted hotel. That poo poo freaked me out pretty good and I had to re-load my savegame to double-check that I hadn't imagined it.

I'm in the Museum now. I really wish someone would make a game that met combined the best bits of Assassin's Creed and Vampire: Bloodlines.

When you first walk into the Ocean House, go all the way left and down that little hallway.

Then turn around. :devil:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fuzz posted:

When you first walk into the Ocean House, go all the way left and down that little hallway.

Then turn around. :devil:

Yep! I saw that one too. That was just more in-your-face.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Just started playing this, it's really good, but I think I broke my game.

I completed got the Pendant from the haunted hotel and went back to the Asylum, went up the elevator, and saved and quit. When I came back, I finally got the Clan Quest mod to install properly and everything loaded fine. I go in Thesera's room and no one is there. The FAQs tell me Jeanette is supposed to be in here somewhere. I've completed all the sidequests I can at this point and don't have anything else to do.

-Did I gently caress myself?
-Either way, have I also hosed myself out of the the titular Clan Quest?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
What made you think that installing a major content mod would allow you to continue playing your in-progress save with no complications?
Restart.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing through again and I've just noticed a big mystery that for the life of me I can't explain - how the hell did the drug dealers at the Santa Monica beach house get that van up there? There's no gate or anything and they're on the edge of a cliff!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I'm playing through again and I've just noticed a big mystery that for the life of me I can't explain - how the hell did the drug dealers at the Santa Monica beach house get that van up there? There's no gate or anything and they're on the edge of a cliff!

A Tremere did it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Oberleutnant posted:

What made you think that installing a major content mod would allow you to continue playing your in-progress save with no complications?
Restart.

Yeah, that was a pretty terrible idea. If this game and Baldur's Gate I & II taught us anything, it's to never ever apply mods mid-game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I recently had to swap HDs since my last one crapped out on me, and I'm trying to reactivate Bloodlines to no avail. I got the direct download version, and whenever I try to reactivate it, that bullshit ActiveMark program keeps saying I have no connection to the internet.

The only fix I can find online was a brief recommendation to temporarily turn off firewalls and set it to run as admin, both of which I have done, and still nothing. Any clues how to go about this?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

AlternateNu posted:

I recently had to swap HDs since my last one crapped out on me, and I'm trying to reactivate Bloodlines to no avail. I got the direct download version, and whenever I try to reactivate it, that bullshit ActiveMark program keeps saying I have no connection to the internet.

The only fix I can find online was a brief recommendation to temporarily turn off firewalls and set it to run as admin, both of which I have done, and still nothing. Any clues how to go about this?

What service did you buy Bloodlines from?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pope Guilty posted:

What service did you buy Bloodlines from?

D2D, but it is looking like they don't offer it anymore. gently caress IGN. I'm boned, aren't I?

Edit: Nevermind. Apparently, GameFly absorbed D2D and now you have to install some lovely client and wait for them to get off their asses to upload your game to the server before you can download/install it. Fuckin' hell.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 10, 2012

The Anime Turnpike
Dec 30, 2010

I'm mad as hell, After getting the sarcophagus from the Giovanni I came back to the prince, and what does he say? Repeats the blood hunt from Nines and makes me go back to Gary I reloaded back to the fight and no dice, he still does the same thing, I'm hosed right?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Finally going back to do a Malk runthrough with the Clan Quest mod. The mod adds in new music for the radio, right? Cos now the Deb of Night show is gone and I'm a little sad about that. Is there any Malkavian-specific dialogue on the radio the way there is with the TV? I'd hate to miss out.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Fitzwilliam Lacho posted:

I'm mad as hell, After getting the sarcophagus from the Giovanni I came back to the prince, and what does he say? Repeats the blood hunt from Nines and makes me go back to Gary I reloaded back to the fight and no dice, he still does the same thing, I'm hosed right?

Have you tried checking to see if the game will continue disregarding the glitch? Something like that happened to me with Ming Xiao telling me to talk to the guy in the Red Dragon after I had done the whole questline and I just kept on going and ignored her advice and it fixed itself.

I played a quick base runthrough with cheats on, just so I could experience the game first hand. Now I'm playing through with the current version of the Clan Quest Mod, including the Arsenal Mod, Comp Mod Lite, and Camarilla Edition 1.4. Using a Ventrue, since I used Toreador before and Ventrue seemed like it would add a small amount of difficulty because it limits what I can drink.

Turns out having the Comp Mod Light helps a bit in fighting, because Heather, on the rare occasion she actually gets hit, I don't think she actually takes any damage. Though there seems to be some sort of invisible walls keeping her from any sort of boss battles.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fitzwilliam Lacho posted:

One sec. (?ing through my own posts)

Here you go:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394372&pagenumber=28&perpage=40#post394370718

KayGee
Nov 23, 2011

Orks is da biggest and da strrrrongest.
I actually saw "Bloodlines" as I was scrolling through to find the HoN thread and thought I'd misread something. Good call.

I've downloaded the Final Nights mod, so far not much seems different aside from the "clans", is there a branch off anywhere?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I haven't played but I watched an LP: theres no new plot or anything if thats what you're asking. Just those new clans using the same models as the old clans and that Assamite npc.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
Wow, this game is still popular after all these years. A true cult classic it is. drat, if only another Vampire game of this caliber would come out. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The Clan Quest and Camarilla mods seem pretty great so far. The new quests are pretty decent and the voice-acting isn't too cringe-worthy. Camarilla also increases the difficulty of combat quite a bit and makes it a decent challenge. I'm playing as a Toreador and bullets utterly tear me to pieces. Celerity is great and lets me kill baddies quickly, but even zooming around I'll still get cut to pieces very quickly by gunfire unless I'm using other Disciplines. Presence is amazing for this as it massively debuffs the damage enemies do, and the mesmerize stun effect takes quite a few baddies out of the fight (and makes for easy feeding!).

• Locked thread