Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm looking at a secondhand leather jacket on Craigslist. One of the elbows is scuffed up, from the pictures in the ad, does it look like anything that should worry me, or should it be fine? Also, is there a way to recondition or otherwise minimize the appearance of the scuffing?

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm looking at a secondhand leather jacket on Craigslist. One of the elbows is scuffed up, from the pictures in the ad, does it look like anything that should worry me, or should it be fine? Also, is there a way to recondition or otherwise minimize the appearance of the scuffing?

That looks fine to me. Check that the stitching still seems ok, but it should be safe.

You can redye the leather to reduce the appearance of the scuffing.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Black shoe polish. Only use the tiniest amounts: you want to do this incrementally so it doesn't bleed on everything you touch.
Little dab, work it into the leather, allow to dry completely, buff the hell out of it.
Worked well on a messenger bag I did the same with, hasn't come off on any of my shirts.
Your final result is going to be a bit shiny, though, especially as you're working on a spot that's over armor.

Don't actually do this until someone here says this seems like a good idea. I'm new here, and would hate to be responsible for messing up your jacket, somehow. Not sure how that would work, since it's leather, but just in case.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Edit: taken

Aargh fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 6, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

TheNothingNew posted:

Black shoe polish. Only use the tiniest amounts: you want to do this incrementally so it doesn't bleed on everything you touch.
Little dab, work it into the leather, allow to dry completely, buff the hell out of it.
Worked well on a messenger bag I did the same with, hasn't come off on any of my shirts.
Your final result is going to be a bit shiny, though, especially as you're working on a spot that's over armor.

Don't actually do this until someone here says this seems like a good idea. I'm new here, and would hate to be responsible for messing up your jacket, somehow. Not sure how that would work, since it's leather, but just in case.

I've a friend who has been riding since the 60s who uses shoe polish on all his leather jackets to keep them waterproof and in good nick. It won't be a problem.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

BlackLaser posted:

Found a couple http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ 10% off codes.

A2EX542573

Expire 3/31/12

I took this one, thanks man!!

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I'm the guy that had the attempted theft in the discussion thread. What covers would you guys recommend? This will be a cover for an '01 SV. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...ason-cover.aspx is the most popular on MCSS (yeah I just came up with that abbreviation), but are there any others I should consider?

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I'm about to order an RS Taichi GMX jacket, but I've got some doubt sizing it. I'm 5'11, 197lbs. 44 inch chest and a 31.5 waist. If I follow the size chart I'll end up something like 46/56.

This is me in a Dainese 42/52 from cyclegear for reference (I've returned it)

Granted I was ~10 lbs lighter here, but the jacket felt too large.

Is there a huge difference in size between companies? Does anyone own a GMX? I'm considering ordering a 44/54 just based on my height.

Edit> Another dumb question, is there any difference between these two, besides the extra $75 for shoulder sliders?

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 8, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Anyone have a Motorcycle Superstore 10% code? Some stuff I want to order today.

I have two codes on the way to me when previous orders arrive, I promise to pay it forward

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I've finally lost enough weight to fit into my Dainese leather again!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Does anyone make gloves that are waterproof but not insulated? I've got a pair of A* Vega Drystar gloves that probably work quite well if you're getting on your bike in a garage. Unfortunately when i get on my bike in the street and its raining my hands are wet, this makes my hands pretty much stick to the insulative layer snd makes the gloves a bitch to put on - like 5 minutes.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

bung posted:

I've finally lost enough weight to fit into my Dainese leather again!

Congrats - that probably feels great for several reasons!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Aargh posted:

Does anyone make gloves that are waterproof but not insulated? I've got a pair of A* Vega Drystar gloves that probably work quite well if you're getting on your bike in a garage. Unfortunately when i get on my bike in the street and its raining my hands are wet, this makes my hands pretty much stick to the insulative layer snd makes the gloves a bitch to put on - like 5 minutes.

Put your gloves on before you go outside?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Put your gloves on before you go outside?

And/or dry your hands before you put the gloves on. I find my shirt I wear under my jacket is a good thing to use.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 9, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A good 'waterproof' glove (or jacket, or whatever) is supposed to breathe and wick moisture out of the inside while it keeps outside water from coming in. When I tried on the A* Apex (which are p similar to the Vegas), my hands got clammy pretty quick just from wearing them in the store, and they were a bitch to get on and off because of it. My Rev'It Orions definitely do not make my hands clammy or get sticky inside like that. I hate to say it but it may be a case where spending more on a glove with a nicer liner may pay off.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Picked up that $50 Fieldsheer jacket last night from guy on Craigslist, drat is it nice. I hope it stays chilly in Japan a bit longer, although it does have six zippered vents on the front.

And the seller wasn't kidding on the sizing: the tag says XL and the arm length is perfect on my 6'1" frame, but it fits like a medium in the chest (luckily I've got a pretty slender build). He said a few guys had come to buy it, but beer guts got in the way :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Aargh posted:

Another option is silk glove liners. Even wet they slide in pretty good and provide a little extra warmth when needed.

Figured out why my left heated glove wasn't warming up...open circuit :( I'll tear into it and see if I can find it but have a feeling I'll be buying new heated gloves. At least it's spring.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 9, 2012

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
AXO Striker motorcycle boots/shoes on sale on Amazon of all places for $70. If they have your size you're in luck!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QPK4JM/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&psc=1

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Chriskory posted:

Edit> Another dumb question, is there any difference between these two, besides the extra $75 for shoulder sliders?

You're right on the difference. I have both jackets but the previous model of the GMX motion jacket. The previous GMX motion jacket didnt have a CP attachment sockets but the new ones do now. The left one is suppose to be casual but you cant still 2 piece it with any of their leather pants. The right one is your standard 2 piece race suit. Where are you ordering from? Of the RS taichi authorized sellers, Motoliberty is actually the official distributor in the U.S. Cycle sector and STG pull inventory through Motoliberty.

I'd verify your sizing when ordering, all of them really know how help you size as long as you can take measurements. You can also check the official site if you need measurements.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Another option is silk glove liners. Even wet they slide in pretty good and provide a little extra warmth when needed.

Guess ill look into this then, the other options could work but are a bit of a hassle when im commuting to work and only have a business shirt on which to dry my hands. Putting on the gloves before i head outside just wouldnt work, their too thick and i need some dexterity when fastening helmets, unlocking disc locks, attaching tailbags etc...

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
I thought now would be a good time to chime in with a small review of my Rev'it Phantom GTX Gloves. I have been wearing them for about 3 months now alternating with my old pair of Racer High Ends. Surprisingly, I only had the Racers for a year before I needed to have both index finger tips restitched. Whenever I rode in the early mornings or at night, my fingers would go numb and I absolutely hated having vents. My Racers still have a place and the feel is unparalleled to any other gloves I have tried.

Features I liked:
-Waterproof. Gore-tex needs no introduction and I have yet to feel any moisture inside the glove. The leather does get wet and the glove will feel cold but my hands are never wet when I take off my gloves. I have also used these gloves for snowboarding once when I couldn't find my snowboarding mittens.

-"Liner-less" fit. Most waterproof gloves have several liners of different materials and when your palms get sweaty, the liners manage to pull out when taking off the gloves. This glove manages to have everything in one piece and nothing ever feels like it will pull out. My palms DO get a little bit sweaty if I wear them when it's hot out but even then the gore-tex and generally roomy fit allow my fingers to "breathe". The moisture never becomes an issue.

-Suede/microfiber on the side of the fingers. The left index finger has a nice squeegee built-in that doesn't get in the way at all. I am not too sure of the material but it looks to be a suede or microfiber material. It is between all the fingers and the patch between thumb and index finger is great for wiping your nose.

Fit:
-I bought large and I am a large in every other pair of gloves I've owned. Racers fit me perfectly. The Rev'it has a little bit more room in the palm but I never notice it when I am riding. I have also worn Joe Rockets and Alpinestar. The Joe Rockets were pretty spot on but Alpinestar didn't have room for my long fingers. It might feel a bit roomy when I'm off the bike but when I am on, it feels like everything lines up.

Summary:
For $200, you definitely get a hell of a glove. I don't find myself stuck in the rain too often but more wind and fog. Big and bulky textile gloves are a bit overkill and these are the perfect medium. The small details like stitching and liner really make the glove stand out from the rest; No loose stitches and the quality is top notch. I do like the reflective taping as it's kept to a minimum, just on the backs of the index and middle finger and two other discreet spots on the gauntlet and back of the wrist. Compared to the Racer High End, the protection level is slightly less. The palm slider is nicer and their is a slider on the outside of the pinky. The gauntlet strap wraps around the wrist nicely and I was able to get it under my jacket although I do prefer keeping the gauntlet over the jacket.

If you ride on the freeway a lot or live in a colder climate, I highly recommend these gloves. They make a great 3 season glove if there aren't crazy downpours. I feel like I'll get at least 5 years out of these if I alternate with my Racers. Hope this mini review helps guide some cold hands. I know the price may be a bit steep for some but I consider these a worthwhile investment.

twizzler
Feb 15, 2001

EvilCrayon posted:

I thought now would be a good time to chime in with a small review of my Rev'it Phantom GTX Gloves. I have been wearing them for about 3 months now alternating with my old pair of Racer High Ends. Surprisingly, I only had the Racers for a year before I needed to have both index finger tips restitched. Whenever I rode in the early mornings or at night, my fingers would go numb and I absolutely hated having vents. My Racers still have a place and the feel is unparalleled to any other gloves I have tried.

Features I liked:
-Waterproof. Gore-tex needs no introduction and I have yet to feel any moisture inside the glove. The leather does get wet and the glove will feel cold but my hands are never wet when I take off my gloves. I have also used these gloves for snowboarding once when I couldn't find my snowboarding mittens.

-"Liner-less" fit. Most waterproof gloves have several liners of different materials and when your palms get sweaty, the liners manage to pull out when taking off the gloves. This glove manages to have everything in one piece and nothing ever feels like it will pull out. My palms DO get a little bit sweaty if I wear them when it's hot out but even then the gore-tex and generally roomy fit allow my fingers to "breathe". The moisture never becomes an issue.

-Suede/microfiber on the side of the fingers. The left index finger has a nice squeegee built-in that doesn't get in the way at all. I am not too sure of the material but it looks to be a suede or microfiber material. It is between all the fingers and the patch between thumb and index finger is great for wiping your nose.

Fit:
-I bought large and I am a large in every other pair of gloves I've owned. Racers fit me perfectly. The Rev'it has a little bit more room in the palm but I never notice it when I am riding. I have also worn Joe Rockets and Alpinestar. The Joe Rockets were pretty spot on but Alpinestar didn't have room for my long fingers. It might feel a bit roomy when I'm off the bike but when I am on, it feels like everything lines up.

Summary:
For $200, you definitely get a hell of a glove. I don't find myself stuck in the rain too often but more wind and fog. Big and bulky textile gloves are a bit overkill and these are the perfect medium. The small details like stitching and liner really make the glove stand out from the rest; No loose stitches and the quality is top notch. I do like the reflective taping as it's kept to a minimum, just on the backs of the index and middle finger and two other discreet spots on the gauntlet and back of the wrist. Compared to the Racer High End, the protection level is slightly less. The palm slider is nicer and their is a slider on the outside of the pinky. The gauntlet strap wraps around the wrist nicely and I was able to get it under my jacket although I do prefer keeping the gauntlet over the jacket.

If you ride on the freeway a lot or live in a colder climate, I highly recommend these gloves. They make a great 3 season glove if there aren't crazy downpours. I feel like I'll get at least 5 years out of these if I alternate with my Racers. Hope this mini review helps guide some cold hands. I know the price may be a bit steep for some but I consider these a worthwhile investment.

Nice review! I was on the fence with these gloves but just bought a pair from Revzilla. They will replace an aging pair of Aerostich Elkskin Gauntlet gloves so it should be a nice upgrade!

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

As a soon to be new rider (my first MSF class is on April 26), I'm a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of gear.

Before I get to my questions, I should probably get the basics out of the way.
- no previous motorcycle experience
- none of my family members or friends have experience
- I'll likely pick up a Honda Rebel 250 for my first bike

I've set aside approximately $1000. I want to make sure that I'm focusing on safety as well as learning the basics.

QUESTION: I've stopped in two different shops. For some reason as soon as I mention that I'll be starting on a 250, their gear recommendations changes from some of the more high-end items, to middle of the road (still very nice) gear. Is there a reason for this? Both said something to the equivalent of "Oh, well in that case (a 250) you don't need to be looking at X, Y will be just fine".

Am I missing something? I realize that low-end riding is not the same thing as attending track days, but it's still inherently dangerous. Is there a reason that I'm getting pointed AWAY from higher end gear? This happened both when looking at an Alpinestars jacket (I want to say the GP-R?), and the Scorpion EXO-700 (in neon, which I'm pretty much sold on).

QUESTION 2: many textile jackets allow for the addition of a back protector, and sometimes a chest protector, what's everyone's thoughts on these? They can add an additional $100 to many jackets. Leather jackets on the other hand, from what I've seen, appear ready to go.

QUESTION 3: you have $200-300 for a jacket, what do you go with? Leather or textile recommendations?

Thanks!

28_days fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 11, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

28_days posted:

QUESTION: I've stopped in two different shops. For some reason as soon as I mention that I'll be starting on a 250, their gear recommendations changes from some of the more high-end items, to middle of the road (still very nice) gear. Is there a reason for this? Both said something to the equivalent of "Oh, well in that case (a 250) you don't need to be looking at X, Y will be just fine".

Am I missing something? I realize that low-end riding is not the same thing as attending track days, but it's still inherently dangerous. Is there a reason that I'm getting pointed AWAY from higher end gear?

They probably think you're cheap if you're getting a small bike, so they're directing you toward cheap gear. In fact, the distance from your head to the ground is the same no matter how fast you're going. Speed just matters for abrasion resistance. Get what you can afford. That said, higher end gear costs more because it's more comfortable, not be cause its safer (generally). Make sure it meets minimum safety standards first before looking at further features and higher costs.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Unless you're in Europe, there are no minimum safety standards, and the higher end gear does tend to cost more, and some of it is still crap, but almost none of the lower-end gear would perform well as higher-end gear in standardized testing (this is somewhat extrapolated since the lower-end gear never gets tested; it's the polyester vs. nylon vs. brand-name cordura debate).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

28_days posted:

Gear Qs

What sort of style (power ranger, retro, stealthy/casual etc) are you going for?

Are you a fairly normal size?

What sort of climate are you in? Really hot? Rains all the time?

Do you have a good set of steel-toed work boots already?

While you can blow through $1000 bucks on gear pretty quick, there's little reason to, at least when you start out. Helmet and jacket will probably be your big initial expenses. For helmets any full-face will be pretty much safe, most of what you pay for is less weight, more comfort and fancy graphics. Head shapes vary, and so do helmet shapes between brand and sometimes model, so try on as many different ones as you can, and pick the graphics after you've found the perfect fit. (A lot of helmets come in hi-viz.)

Jackets, I recommend a textile to start out with, they tend to be the most versatile weather-wise. The 'included back protectors' are often just a piece of foam. It's not a bad idea to upgrade to real back armor. Chest armor is probably overkill.

Gloves act as a primary man-machine interface so again, fitment is key. You don't need race gauntlets to ride a 250 on the street, and especially for warm weather riding there are plenty of <=$100 options.

Pants, dunno, I am a bad person who usually just wears jeans, but armored textile pants can be had around the $200 mark.

If you respond with your desired style we can recommend specific items.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

What sort of style (power ranger, retro, stealthy/casual etc) are you going for?

Are you a fairly normal size?

What sort of climate are you in? Really hot? Rains all the time?

Do you have a good set of steel-toed work boots already?

While you can blow through $1000 bucks on gear pretty quick, there's little reason to, at least when you start out. Helmet and jacket will probably be your big initial expenses. For helmets any full-face will be pretty much safe, most of what you pay for is less weight, more comfort and fancy graphics. Head shapes vary, and so do helmet shapes between brand and sometimes model, so try on as many different ones as you can, and pick the graphics after you've found the perfect fit. (A lot of helmets come in hi-viz.)

Jackets, I recommend a textile to start out with, they tend to be the most versatile weather-wise. The 'included back protectors' are often just a piece of foam. It's not a bad idea to upgrade to real back armor. Chest armor is probably overkill.

Gloves act as a primary man-machine interface so again, fitment is key. You don't need race gauntlets to ride a 250 on the street, and especially for warm weather riding there are plenty of <=$100 options.

Pants, dunno, I am a bad person who usually just wears jeans, but armored textile pants can be had around the $200 mark.

If you respond with your desired style we can recommend specific items.

Thanks for the replies thus far. Let me know if I fail to fully answer any of your questions!

--I'm 5'10 and 145 pounds, generally a small or medium (depending.)

--I live in Minnesota. Since this will not be my primary mode of transportation, just a side hobby, I'll likely ride when it's 60-90*. Rain is very unlikely.

--I do not own any boots currently.

--As for a style, I guess I prefer toned down gear. I'm not looking to be flashy or a rolling advertisement, my concern lies with being seen and being safe.

I tried on an Alpinestars T-RC1 air flow jacket and liked the style, but am unsure if it would provide enough protection. Product: http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-t-rc-1-air-flo-jacket

For helmets I'm concerned about protection and visibility. I have glasses, so great venting is an absolute MUST. I like the EXO 700 (especially the visibility), but felt it was a tad heavy.

I haven't even started looking at pants or gloves yet. In fact my local store didn't have them displayed. I'll stop back today as they were putting things out.

I appreciate the assistance!

EDIT: I honestly don't mind spending $1000+ for gear. I want gear that I'll hold on too if and when I decided to switch bikes, etc.

28_days fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 11, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

28_days posted:

For helmets I'm concerned about protection and visibility. I have glasses, so great venting is an absolute MUST.

Depending on the ambient temperature, how hot your breath is, how hard you're breathing, etc., good venting won't always be enough. Keep some of this stuff around in a ziploc bag under your seat or in an inner jacket pocket -- it works quite well.

http://www.amazon.com/Clarity-Defog-concentrate-microfiber-cloth/dp/B003AJGJ3A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331484337&sr=8-2

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I'm just going to make a quick post since I'm on my way out the door, but please let me know if you'd like any more detail/suggestions on anything and/or have any questions, I should be able to answer pretty much anything you have concerns over.

Jacket: The one you linked is great. Alpinestars is a FANTASTIC brand and you cannot go wrong with their product. Get an internal back protector: http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/categories/moto/protection/bionic-back-protector-air-insert/
$219.95 + $79.95 = $300

Helmet: If it fits your head properly, you want a Shoei. An RF1100 will provide optimal airflow for the seating position on a 250: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-rf-1100-solid-helmet

Shoei's have excellent ventilation, are light weight, have large visor openings (wide peripheral vision), have slots cut out in the cheek pads to accommodate glasses, and come in a hi-vis yellow color. If Shoei does not fit your head shape, try Suomy or Arai. Suomy and Arai use a different head shape than Shoei but are of the same quality.
$400 for an RF1100 if it fits.

Gloves: For the temperatures you're going to be riding in and for the type of riding you're going to be doing you will love a short-cut summer glove. http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/categories/moto/gloves/textile/atlas-glove/

That glove in particular has and injection-molded knuckle protector which is taken from their high end racing gauntlets. It is light weight, gives good impact protection, and the injection molding allows them to place vents in it for extra airflow. Pinky and high-wear areas are leather reinforced for durability and protection in those areas. The rest of the glove is a mesh/textile material which will flow a ton of air so your hands don't overheat.
$70

Boots: You need these. Steel-toed work boots aren't good enough; they don't have a proper lacing system to keep them on your foot, they don't have adequate ankle protection, and most importantly they have ZERO HEEL PROTECTION. This is the most most most most important thing that I stress in a street boot. Shattering your heel requires major reconstructive surgery, huge downtime, and you will never walk properly again. Icon makes a great boot that doesn't look flashy but is specifically catered to motorcycle riding. It has shift pads so you don't scuff the boot while shifting, a shank in the sole, reinforced heel, reinforced ankle, reinforced toe, and a dual lace system. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-superduty-4-boots
$120

Pants: Any pair of quality textile/mesh overpants will be fine. Alpinestars, Firstgear, Tourmaster, and Icon are a couple of good brands to check out.
Figure around $150-$200 for a good pair of pants.

Total ~$1040-$1090 for a full set of high quality, long-lasting gear. If that's over budget there are a few places where you can cut costs without sacrificing much. What I posted is just a quick list I came up with.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

-Inu- posted:

I'm just going to make a quick post since I'm on my way out the door, but please let me know if you'd like any more detail/suggestions on anything and/or have any questions, I should be able to answer pretty much anything you have concerns over.

Jacket: The one you linked is great. Alpinestars is a FANTASTIC brand and you cannot go wrong with their product. Get an internal back protector: http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/categories/moto/protection/bionic-back-protector-air-insert/
$219.95 + $79.95 = $300

Helmet: If it fits your head properly, you want a Shoei. An RF1100 will provide optimal airflow for the seating position on a 250: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-rf-1100-solid-helmet

Shoei's have excellent ventilation, are light weight, have large visor openings (wide peripheral vision), have slots cut out in the cheek pads to accommodate glasses, and come in a hi-vis yellow color. If Shoei does not fit your head shape, try Suomy or Arai. Suomy and Arai use a different head shape than Shoei but are of the same quality.

Gloves: For the temperatures you're going to be riding in and for the type of riding you're going to be doing you will love a short-cut summer glove. http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/categories/moto/gloves/textile/atlas-glove/

That glove in particular has and injection-molded knuckle protector which is taken from their high end racing gauntlets. It is light weight, gives good impact protection, and the injection molding allows them to place vents in it for extra airflow. Pinky and high-wear areas are leather reinforced for durability and protection in those areas. The rest of the glove is a mesh/textile material which will flow a ton of air so your hands don't overheat.
$70

Boots: You need these. Steel-toed work boots aren't good enough; they don't have a proper lacing system to keep them on your foot, they don't have adequate ankle protection, and most importantly they have ZERO HEEL PROTECTION. This is the most most most most important thing that I stress in a street boot. Shattering your heel requires major reconstructive surgery, huge downtime, and you will never walk properly again. Icon makes a great boot that doesn't look flashy but is specifically catered to motorcycle riding. It has shift pads so you don't scuff the boot while shifting, a shank in the sole, reinforced heel, reinforced ankle, reinforced toe, and a dual lace system. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-superduty-4-boots
$120

Pants: Any pair of quality textile/mesh overpants will be fine. Alpinestars, Firstgear, Tourmaster, and Icon are a couple of good brands to check out.

Total ~$1040-$1090 for a full set of high quality, long-lasting gear. If that's over budget there are a few places where you can cut costs without sacrificing much. What I posted is just a quick list I came up with.

Thank you Inu!

I did a bit of research based on your suggestions...

Jacket: what's the difference between the T-RC1 Air Flo Jacket (http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-t-rc-1-air-flo-jacket) and the T-GP Plus Jacket (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-t-gp-plus-air-jacket)? I'll add the back protector as recommended.

Helmet: it appears that the RF1100 is better for sportbike style positions per the reviews, so I think I may go with the Shoei Qwest (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-qwest-solid-helmet)

Gloves: prior to your suggestion of the ATLAS gloves, I was pointed to the SMX-2 Air Carbon Gloves (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-s-mx-2-air-carbon-gloves). Is there much of a difference? The SMX-2 "appears" to go a bit further down the cuff...otherwise?

Boots: the Icon's look nice. Do they go far up enough? I'm assuming that boots with a higher cuff are a bit less comfortable/difficult to work the pedals? Otherwise all of the specs look nice and safe!

Pants: I'm less concerned with these. I'm looking at the Dainese New Drake Air (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-new-drake-air-textile-pants). It doesn't appear that you add any extra armor or protection to pants. Is this correct?

I appreciate all of the assistance!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

-Inu- posted:

$219.95 + $79.95 = $300

$70

$120

Not that Inu's post isn't great, but I'm going to suggest a slightly different take on things.

The jacket is fine and a back protector is a decent addition. I'm not convinced of the efficacy of back protectors in the way that people traditionally think of them (ie, many injuries to the spine are from twisting, compressive, or hyperextension of the spine, which a back protector will not protect against), but more protection isn't a bad thing. I might suggest one that has leather in the slide areas rather than textiles, but that's your call.

On the helmet: I'd recommend a cheaper helmet and getting contacts. Ever rider I know who has glasses has eventually switched to contacts, mostly because of fogging issues combined with the glasses restricting peripheral vision. Scorpions are good helmets for entry level riders, from there you can determine where to go, but fit is the most important part of a helmet, so buy what fits over what is cheap.

For gloves: I would not wear ANY gloves that are not over the wrist. Wrists have a lot of small bones and are pretty exposed in an accident, especially if the jacket can slide up at all, which unfortunately, most of them can due to fit being good but not perfect. I'm a big fan of the Dianese RS4 gloves if you're going on the cheaper side of things.

Boots: I want full boots with an internal armor structure. You are far more likely to have the bike land on your leg or foot when you're cruising around on the street than you are anywhere else, or have it hit by a car. My wife took the bumper off a a car with her boot and left a quarter inch wide/deep gouge in the underlying plastic structure of her alpinestar SMX boots when she was t-boned by a kid pulling out in front of her. It also left a ~2 inch gash through the leather. If she hadn't been wearing full boots she might not have an ankle anymore. A buddy of mine was just in a cycle gear and got a set of Dianese Torque Racing Boots and is very happy with them and finds them comfortable to walk around in. A bit of the expensive side but way cheaper than learning to walk again. I have also shattered the heel of a boot while crashing and there is absolutely no way I would trust any of the sneaker style shoes to stay on or protect through that. Most of them have no more significant protection than a pair of decent, reinforced work boots.

If you'll wear overpants, great. I find they're kind of awkward and hot and difficult to deal with, so I make a compromise with knee guards under jeans a lot of the time for casual riding, as the median crash speed on the street is only 28mph and knee guards will protect your extremities against damage. I do have a set of overpants, but I have removed the armor from them and put the kneepads on instead as the overpants tend to not fit tight enough to keep the armor in place in a crash situation. As always, go with what fits, is comfortable, and you will wear. You're going to want ones with a lot of venting, because you'll be wearing normal pants under them.

I also believe that any cost in gear is cheaper than an ER bill, so if I were in your shoes I'd be buying whatever helmet fit best, a jacket with leather reinforcement at the very least, overpants + some knee guards for when I didn't want to wear the overpants, over the wrist gloves, and those Dianese boots.

Probably end up at about 1200-1400 when it's all said and done, but that's less than most people's costs for a single ER visit.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I got my Revzilla order in the mail today; pants and gloves fit great, boots seem a size big. People were saying they run a bit small, but I'm a 10.5/11 in normal shoes and the 45/US11 seems to give me an extra half inch in the toe. They're also loose around the ankles, but I gather that's for tucking your pants in, they're fine with my new Rev'It Airframe's tucked in. Guessing I should return the boots though? I don't know if the next size down might be too small, and even though Revzilla does free returns, I'm leaving the country tomorrow so my options are either to pay a lot more for boots in Japan (might be hard to find my size) or suck it up and wear those for a while. I don't think I'd be walking in them much. Thoughts?

Dunno if it qualifies as "bike gear" in the sense that this thread means, but I also got some Ortlieb Saddlebags that I'll try to write up a review of when I get back to Japan and get them put on my bike.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

Z3n posted:

Not that Inu's post isn't great, but I'm going to suggest a slightly different take on things.

The jacket is fine and a back protector is a decent addition. I'm not convinced of the efficacy of back protectors in the way that people traditionally think of them (ie, many injuries to the spine are from twisting, compressive, or hyperextension of the spine, which a back protector will not protect against), but more protection isn't a bad thing. I might suggest one that has leather in the slide areas rather than textiles, but that's your call.

On the helmet: I'd recommend a cheaper helmet and getting contacts. Ever rider I know who has glasses has eventually switched to contacts, mostly because of fogging issues combined with the glasses restricting peripheral vision. Scorpions are good helmets for entry level riders, from there you can determine where to go, but fit is the most important part of a helmet, so buy what fits over what is cheap.

For gloves: I would not wear ANY gloves that are not over the wrist. Wrists have a lot of small bones and are pretty exposed in an accident, especially if the jacket can slide up at all, which unfortunately, most of them can due to fit being good but not perfect. I'm a big fan of the Dianese RS4 gloves if you're going on the cheaper side of things.

Boots: I want full boots with an internal armor structure. You are far more likely to have the bike land on your leg or foot when you're cruising around on the street than you are anywhere else, or have it hit by a car. My wife took the bumper off a a car with her boot and left a quarter inch wide/deep gouge in the underlying plastic structure of her alpinestar SMX boots when she was t-boned by a kid pulling out in front of her. It also left a ~2 inch gash through the leather. If she hadn't been wearing full boots she might not have an ankle anymore. A buddy of mine was just in a cycle gear and got a set of Dianese Torque Racing Boots and is very happy with them and finds them comfortable to walk around in. A bit of the expensive side but way cheaper than learning to walk again. I have also shattered the heel of a boot while crashing and there is absolutely no way I would trust any of the sneaker style shoes to stay on or protect through that. Most of them have no more significant protection than a pair of decent, reinforced work boots.

If you'll wear overpants, great. I find they're kind of awkward and hot and difficult to deal with, so I make a compromise with knee guards under jeans a lot of the time for casual riding, as the median crash speed on the street is only 28mph and knee guards will protect your extremities against damage. I do have a set of overpants, but I have removed the armor from them and put the kneepads on instead as the overpants tend to not fit tight enough to keep the armor in place in a crash situation. As always, go with what fits, is comfortable, and you will wear. You're going to want ones with a lot of venting, because you'll be wearing normal pants under them.

I also believe that any cost in gear is cheaper than an ER bill, so if I were in your shoes I'd be buying whatever helmet fit best, a jacket with leather reinforcement at the very least, overpants + some knee guards for when I didn't want to wear the overpants, over the wrist gloves, and those Dianese boots.

Probably end up at about 1200-1400 when it's all said and done, but that's less than most people's costs for a single ER visit.

I appreciate your perspective.

Contacts are a no-go due to my dry eye condition. I tried on various Scorpion models yesterday and found the 700 to be a great fit (especially in medium). But glasses are a bit uncomfortable. Ear circulation can literally get cut off after a short period of time, and I'm willing to pay extra for the comfort. I'm not having much luck finding other helmets that have glasses cut-outs, any suggestions?

Your points about the boots and gloves make sense as well. More protection certainly can't hurt.

I'll continue my research. Please keep the opinions coming. Thank you!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

28_days posted:

Contacts are a no-go due to my dry eye condition. I tried on various Scorpion models yesterday and found the 700 to be a great fit (especially in medium). But glasses are a bit uncomfortable. Ear circulation can literally get cut off after a short period of time, and I'm willing to pay extra for the comfort. I'm not having much luck finding other helmets that have glasses cut-outs, any suggestions?

Your points about the boots and gloves make sense as well. More protection certainly can't hurt.

I'll continue my research. Please keep the opinions coming. Thank you!

Another entry level helmet is HJC. I have an HJC CL-16, and I wear glasses, and it hasn't caused any problems at all. I haven't noticed if there are cutouts for them, all I know is I have no problems getting my glasses on.

As for gloves, I have the Alpinestars SP-2s. They seem to be a really good compromise between protection and price. I think there's actually someone selling a pair in CA Mart for like 50 bucks.

And boots, I picked up the older model of the Sidi Fusions used on Craigslist - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-fusion-boots . They have plenty of protection, are surprisingly comfortable, even off the bike, and look pretty drat cool.

Oh, and as for jackets. Every time someone asks I point out the Cortech Latigo that's on closeout at motorcyclegear.com - http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/cortech_by_tour_master/latigo_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html . It's perforated leather with stretch panels in strategic spots for better comfort, and just feels right. Definitely more suitable for warmer weather though.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

Zubumafoo posted:

Oh, and as for jackets. Every time someone asks I point out the Cortech Latigo that's on closeout at motorcyclegear.com - http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/cortech_by_tour_master/latigo_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html . It's perforated leather with stretch panels in strategic spots for better comfort, and just feels right. Definitely more suitable for warmer weather though.

I saw that earlier, but sadly I'm a 36R, and they're sold out :(

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

28_days posted:

I'm not sure if it's available in the US, but look into the Shark Vision R.

I think it was mentioned/reviewed recently in this thread, but I can't remember by whom. Anyway, it has some parts of the foam that are removable to make glasses fit better and it also has a quick-defog thing where you just push a button to crack the visor.

28_days
Jul 2, 2008

Hog Obituary posted:

I'm not sure if it's available in the US, but look into the Shark Vision R.

I think it was mentioned/reviewed recently in this thread, but I can't remember by whom. Anyway, it has some parts of the foam that are removable to make glasses fit better and it also has a quick-defog thing where you just push a button to crack the visor.

Thank you, I'll look into it!

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Zubumafoo posted:

As for gloves, I have the Alpinestars SP-2s. They seem to be a really good compromise between protection and price. I think there's actually someone selling a pair in CA Mart for like 50 bucks.

Still available too might I add, go try on any pair of alpinestars at a store, see if a large suits you and save a ton of money by buying mine.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Now that I've got all my gear set up, I plan on getting some upgrades and I'm trying to figure out what to upgrade first.

I've got all of my gear used for cost effectiveness.

My helmets are an HJC IS-16 Solid Helmet and a Shoei RF-1000. I'm using the HJC mostly at the moment because it's got an internal retractable visor which is useful. I want to get a dark smoke visor for the Shoei.

I just got a pair of AGV Sport Gloves from Drunk Pledge Driver (thanks again man).

I have a pretty generic black leather jacket that's a tiny bit loose but it's really not bad. Mediums are usually either just perfect or a little too tight and this is a large.

The only not really cycle gear I'm wearing right now is my steel toe work boots. I'm navy so I've got these type of flight boots: http://belleville-boots.com/flight.htm I lace them up pretty tight and they fit great.

I also got my mil-spec reflective vest (thanks to Snowdens Secret) and I'm using an orange/black backpack.

My only pants right now are my jeans.

So, which gear to upgrade first? I'm assuming the helmet and gloves are good to go. Boots first? Better fitting / quality jacket first? Get some overpants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

My only pants right now are my jeans.

So, which gear to upgrade first? I'm assuming the helmet and gloves are good to go. Boots first? Better fitting / quality jacket first? Get some overpants?

By Christ/Odin/Java/Tyr/Allah/Ra, I think you know what to do. Re-constructive rear end-surgery is kind of expensive.