Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

BLACK AIDS ORGY posted:

All classes can handle any form of weaponry right, just with the restrictions of weight? What I like the most in the game is upgrading armor types, will becoming adept or sentinel or what have you keep me from using heavy armor due to weight restrictions? What class would you recommend overall?

Armor doesn't factor into weight at all, just weapons. But yes, any class can use any weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

BLACK AIDS ORGY posted:

I have been perusing this thread and done some cursory googling but failed trying to answer some character class questions so hopefully someone in this thread can give me some advice on which one I should pick.

I love these games and have played as a soldier every time since it seems to be the easiest, and started this game again as one and am already bored with it again since I feel like there's really nothing to unlock besides health/power. The only reason I don't switch to a Sentinel is because everyone says they are awful in ME3, so I'm not sure which way to go. All classes can handle any form of weaponry right, just with the restrictions of weight? What I like the most in the game is upgrading armor types, will becoming adept or sentinel or what have you keep me from using heavy armor due to weight restrictions? What class would you recommend overall?

Weight only seems to effect power recharge times. I am playing Vanguard with only a shotgun equipped and my power recharge is something like +180% so battles are basically me going Charge > Nova > Charge > Nova > Charge until everything is dead. I rarely even have to fire my gun. Of course I haven't tried out any other class so far in ME3 but in ME2 I tried out a good deal of them and Vanguard was always my favorite anyway.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

What does it mean to promote a multiplayer character to the galaxy at war? I just hit 20 with a vanguard, and I don't want to lose it if that's the case.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Avocados posted:

Apparently that wasn't supposed to happen if you got all the good parts going on.

Well yeah, but even if my renegade shep was able to make peace I'd still be tempted to let the quarians get killed. They are the worst. Besides, if you reveal the evidence at the trial in ME2 all the sensible quarians realize how hosed up their leaders are and break off from the fleet. They're the only ones that deserve to live.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

He was there in my game. I think it may have glitched for you.

Not the only glitch I've encountered given that the quest with Kasumi bugged out on me. Such is life :( He was a hero though and I tip my glass to him.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Tooter posted:

So not that it really matters but it's something I noticed. The wall in Normandy that shows all the names of those who have died is lacking Mordin. I have Legion and Thane on there but no Mordin. He was my homeboy and I think he should be up on there.

He should show up there as Mordin Solus. New additions don't always appear at the bottom, it's worth noting.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Avocados posted:

Apparently that wasn't supposed to happen if you got all the good parts going on.

Oh poo poo I totally blew past that renegade option because I didn't want to be the one to put a bullet in legion and made tali do it....which it felt like it was working up to.

Mass effect 3: I immediately regret this decision.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Blue Raider posted:

What does it mean to promote a multiplayer character to the galaxy at war? I just hit 20 with a vanguard, and I don't want to lose it if that's the case.

It becomes a war asset worth like 75 points or so and resets to level 1, so don't do it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dan Didio posted:

He should show up there as Mordin Solus. New additions don't always appear at the bottom, it's worth noting.

The list is in alphabetical order by first name, for some reason.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I still would've liked one of the endings be essentially The crucible gets destroyed en route and the fleet is left to its own devices and is eventually destroyed. Your cycle is defeated utterly but not before exacting a horrific toll on reaper forces leaving them severely weakened. Fade out to the reapers returning from dark space to repeat the cycle again except this time there's a massive armada of the Yahg and Co. who've had 50,000 years or so to prepare for their arrival thanks to Liara's little time capsule things she seeded across multiple worlds.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Tell me, how large would a seven zettabyte scaled image of hello.jpg be? How would it scale against, say, Jupiter?

It's about 7 billion terabytes of hello.jpg

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Does anyone know if there is a working way of editing ME3 saves yet, or is that still a work in progress? I want to edit my war assets so I don't have to worry about multiplayer.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Lloyd Boner posted:

It becomes a war asset worth like 75 points or so and resets to level 1, so don't do it.

Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. Glad I asked.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Well, I need the MP to get above 4k/5k EMS but I cannot connect to the MP because I time out and the game has to reset in order to connect to the EA servers.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I had a question:
Very endgame spoilers

At the very end of the game, during the standoff with Shepard, Anderson and the Illusive man. There was a part where there were charm and intimidate options on the dialogue wheel, but it would not let me pick them even though I had an ENTIRELY full paragon meter and did every sidequest in the game. What was I missing about being able to choose that paragon dialogue option?

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Internet Kraken posted:

Well yeah, but even if my renegade shep was able to make peace I'd still be tempted to let the quarians get killed. They are the worst. Besides, if you reveal the evidence at the trial in ME2 all the sensible quarians realize how hosed up their leaders are and break off from the fleet. They're the only ones that deserve to live.

Fairly late game stuff

In ME2 I actually didn't do the reveal. I had a renegade option to basically tell the admiralty board to gently caress off and leave. The result was they found Tali innocent and she stayed loyal. I also opted to destroy geth heretics as opposed to just re-writing them.

In ME3 I just followed what seemed natural as a ruthless "do anything to win" Shep and used a renegade dialog choice to chew out the admiral that wanted to save his dozen or so people. After killing the big angry reaper I told Legion to upgrade the rest of the Geth and tried to convince the admirals to stop shooting or they'd get wiped out. At some point I was presented with a renegade [Warn the fleet] option that I took.

The end result was I ended up with both a Geth and Quarian fleet at my disposal. I figured that was for the best since we needed more meat shields to throw into the reaper grinder anyway.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Skellen posted:

Well, I need the MP to get above 4k/5k EMS but I cannot connect to the MP because I time out and the game has to reset in order to connect to the EA servers.

I wouldn't worry about it. (endgame spoils) The 4k/5k EMS scene is short and mostly pointless and it serves no real purpose considering this is the end of the Shepard trilogy anyway. I doubt this save will be imported into the next Mass Effect game, and if it does, Shepard surviving probably makes little difference, since I'd imagine it would take place far into the future and with an entirely new group of protagonists. They'll also probably just end up retconning the ending because of the outrage but only do it with a paid DLC because they're scummy pieces of poo poo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LibbyM posted:

I had a question:
Very endgame spoilers

At the very end of the game, during the standoff with Shepard, Anderson and the Illusive man. There was a part where there were charm and intimidate options on the dialogue wheel, but it would not let me pick them even though I had an ENTIRELY full paragon meter and did every sidequest in the game. What was I missing about being able to choose that paragon dialogue option?

From what I understand, that specific choice isn't dependent on your paragon or renegade score. Rather, it is dependent on you choosing every single charm/intimidate option with the illusive man in all previous encounters. If you don't, the option is greyed out. If you think you did, you probably missed some by not picking the right dialogue options. This is very easy to gently caress up.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Internet Kraken posted:

From what I understand, that specific choice isn't dependent on your paragon or renegade score. Rather, it is dependent on you choosing every single charm/intimidate option with the illusive man in all previous encounters. If you don't, the option is greyed out. If you think you did, you probably missed some by not picking the right dialogue options. This is very easy to gently caress up.

It does matter. You have to have max but you ALSO must also have tried to persuade him every single time you talk to him in 3.

Skilgannon
Feb 25, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I used Javik the whole game, Liara was my love interest, and Javik and EDI were with me at the end, and the same exact people came out of the ship as you.

Yeah Liara was my love interest so it looks like they automatically survive. I had Garus as my second with me at the end so not a clue why Javik turns up. Which makes me wonder what would happen if you didn't have the DLC.

I'm taking it as a pretty terrible way of saying everyone else dies.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Skilgannon posted:

Yeah Liara was my love interest so it looks like they automatically survive. I had Garus as my second with me at the end so not a clue why Javik turns up. Which makes me wonder what would happen if you didn't have the DLC.

I'm taking it as a pretty terrible way of saying everyone else dies.

The people you interact with the most are the ones in that scene.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Is my readiness rating sort of like a multiplier for my total rating or something? I haven't touched online yet and I'm at 50% but my total military strength rating is 3473. My EMS is 1756. What EMS do I need for the best ending?

I'm really enjoying the game a lot so far but I have a few issues that really bother me. They are minor things but they annoy me nonetheless, I loathe how most sidequests are handled and your journal never updates like in previous games. Also dislike how you're forced to do planet scanning for the best ending and more assets, in ME2 you always had plenty of every element except for platinum and eezo until a new game+ and those were easy to get with all your resources. You could go and scan planets and be done for a couple of recruitment missions until you needed big upgrades.

I enjoy progressing the story and doing the non-priority missions which I liken to the loyalty quests of ME2. You don't NEED to do them but they have story progression and doing them usually gives you the best outcome. The actual sidequests were there's plot and you get to talk to people, like Aria uniting the mercenary clans is cool but all the "hey go here and scan this planet for me" or "go do this N7 mission with an easy to miss item that appears for sell after you do said mission and give it to me" feel so half-assed.

ME1 had some crappy sidequests but they gave good exp, items and most of them had combat after lovely mako driving sections. I liked ME2's sidequest system the most, even if it was far from perfect. There were a lot of N7 missions and combat was fun in ME2 (its more fun in ME3 though) but I can get people feeling irritated over the lack of actual quests on the main planets. I just stopped kai-leng from killing the rest of the council so maybe there will be more stuff later on.

Overall I'm really enjoying the game, its just a shame about the little flaws. ME2 was a perfect sequel for me personally so I'm disappointed seeing stuff that's worse. Also regarding the leaked script : I was REALLY disapointed with the monastary, in the leaked script they actually showed how asari became banshees and both the daughters had already been forced to meld/feed/do whatever ardat yakshi do. One heroically killed herself, much like in the game, but Samara was left with the daughter and the conflict of having her code force her to kill her daughter, which she didn't want to do. She even mentions feeling the desire to feed on Shepard because of what the reapers forced her to do in the process of making more banshees.

Its really disappointing seeing them skimp out on so much. I was very excited about that portion of the game, as I am for anything about husks and people being turned into horrible poo poo. Oh well.

Also the dream sequences are terrible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Is my readiness rating sort of like a multiplier for my total rating or something? I haven't touched online yet and I'm at 50% but my total military strength rating is 3473. My EMS is 1756. What EMS do I need for the best ending?

Yes, that is exactly it. Your multiplier is .1 for every 10%, minimum of .5. You have to play multiplayer to raise it. You need a EMS of 5000 to have every choice available to you no matter what. Around 4000 should be fine in most cases. This means, yes, you need around 8000 points unless you do multiplayer.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Apparently unless you're really bonkers about Shepard being alive 3000 will get you every ending.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, that is exactly it. Your multiplier is .1 for every 10%, minimum of .5. You have to play multiplayer to raise it. You need a EMS of 5000 to have every choice available to you no matter what. Around 4000 should be fine in most cases. This means, yes, you need around 8000 points unless you do multiplayer.

Jesus..4k EMS? :psyduck: Hopefully I'm still really early in the game then. As long as I just do all the sidequests I get and do everything I can before a priority mission I should be fine right? Or do I have to do poo poo like talk to every single crew member and scan every galaxy to 100% even when I don't have quests?

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Does anyone know if there is a working way of editing ME3 saves yet, or is that still a work in progress? I want to edit my war assets so I don't have to worry about multiplayer.
I don't know of any save editors. You might be forced to modify the Coalesced.bin file.

bioui.ini >> sfxgame >> sfxgawassethandler >> allassets

Choose a line-item (e.g. GAWAsset_Jack). Increase its StartingStrength value by 2000 or so. Save the file and launch the game. Now you should be able to reach the threshold without playing MP. A few caveats:
  • create a backup of the Coalesced file before you make any edits
  • the changes made here do not retroactively alter the value of assets that you already possess
  • ideally you should make the fix and then start a new game, but if you're already partway through then just be sure to alter one of the later resources (such as Quarians or Geth) or a sidequest reward that you haven't yet collected
  • if you want to keep the balance relatively intact, you could boost the value of a dozen different assets by a hundred apiece. Or you could put a lump sum into something (like GAWAsset_DianaAllers) that can be discarded during gameplay
  • you really should give multiplayer a try if you haven't already. Don't let your perceptions be poisoned by questionable design decisions

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Jesus..4k EMS? :psyduck: Hopefully I'm still really early in the game then. As long as I just do all the sidequests I get and do everything I can before a priority mission I should be fine right? Or do I have to do poo poo like talk to every single crew member and scan every galaxy to 100% even when I don't have quests?

I did everything without touching multiplayer, and I'm pretty sure I topped out in the upper 3000s.

Which makes me realize, in the future when either the servers are down, or everyone's moved on from ME3 multiplayer to some other game, it'll be impossible to get the best ending, won't it?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I've not done a whole lot of scanning, really only side-quest related stuff and I've got over 6000 Assets.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Finally bumped into Zaeed. That guy is so guddum awesome. I am so glad he didn't off himself like his ME2 shadow broker files suggested he planned to do.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

GulMadred posted:

you really should give multiplayer a try if you haven't already. Don't let your perceptions be poisoned by questionable design decisions[/list]

I've been playing the multiplayer now that I'm done with the main game, just for the 100% galactic readiness achievement (I don't know why, I normally don't care about achievements, but the Mass Effect games give me a compulsive desire to get them all.) and it's a lot of fun, but I feel bad because I'm terrible and I'm dragging the whole team down. :(

Speaking of achievement whoring, how do you get the Master and Commander achievement? I completed all the sidequests, scanned every system to 100%, and got every race in the galaxy to join me for the war effort, even the minor ones like the Hanar and the Volus (dunno if this is a spoiler, tagging it just to be safe.), but I didn't get it. Do I have to do something with multiplayer for this too, or is it one of those achievements that can't be done on a vanilla game because new game plus gives you a bonus to war assets or something?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I feel dumb because I just read in this thread someone quoting the Drew K post about the original dark matter ending, but now I can't find it. Does anyone have it or a link to it?

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
Someone spoil this for me, I never really played the game. How similar is ME3's ending to DA2's ending, and any outrage around it? I don't know a whole lot about DA2 other than that it's apparently a disappointing game.

If they are similar, I'm just surprised that Bioware went through with this, for their biggest game, despite already causing outrage over something similar in another series of theirs.

Really, if they don't do something about this, they are likely to sour their reputation for a lot of fans. I'm not going to be interested in getting invested in a new Bioware series after this, personally, if they never come out with an expansion or dlc or something that fixes the ending.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
^^^^DA2 never had a story is the thing. You are just some random rear end dude who like spends a year trying to get :10bux: and then some random events happens broken into I think 3 completely unrelated acts and then at the end Bioware figures they need some kind of conclusion to this story that doesn't exist so they just make up one with two options. Except they are the same result, just inverse.

Oh man, did London on Insanity fillet my rear end. At least the latter sections.

I guess it just caught me off guard having to try to play for a change after literally running through the entire game as full melee, stun-pistol only infiltrator.

Amateur Saboteur fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 11, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aristobulus posted:

Someone spoil this for me, I never really played the game. How similar is ME3's ending to DA2's ending, and any outrage around it? I don't know a whole lot about DA2 other than that it's apparently a disappointing game.

Not very.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aristobulus posted:

If they are similar, I'm just surprised that Bioware went through with this, for their biggest game, despite already causing outrage over something similar in another series of theirs.

Really, if they don't do something about this, they are likely to sour their reputation for a lot of fans. I'm not going to be interested in getting invested in a new Bioware series after this, personally, if they never come out with an expansion or dlc or something that fixes the ending.

It isn't at all similar. DA2's ending basically is like most of the game. You're never given any meaningful action throughout the entire game and you may as well have not been there. ME3 gives you a fair amount of stuff to do but then shits on it in the last 10 minutes.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

rainy day posted:

You sure are a reprehensible bigoted piece of garbage, aren't you?

I guess if you don't read into context sure.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Aristobulus posted:

Other people put it better, but yes, Mass Effect 3 is an overall excellent game if the writers put down their pens rather then try to squeeze the last ten minutes in. The problem is that those ten minutes (not big spoiler, but blacked out nonetheless)

completely poo poo on the core assumptions of the franchise (That being "You have choices, and they have meaningful effects) because they all ultimately have the same things happening, nothing is explained, and your choice is basically to change the context of the next galactic dark age. All of your alliances, friends, and allies aren't defeated by the reapers, they're rendered meaningless due to a Diabolous Ex Machina forcing you to pull the trigger on galactic civilization with your own hand..

Considering how much worldbuilding they did in this series, that they threw it all away in the last ten minutes is nothing short of astonishing.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 11, 2012

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey so I hear if you're a lazy worthless piece of poo poo and don't do anything in game you can destroy earth. How does that go about happening? Also didn't Liara die when my Mako got shot by dem Reapers? why is she chilling in the jungle at the end????.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

nthalp posted:

You said something crazy offensive and going, "bluh, I didn't mean it like THAT, get over it" is like the worst, most reprehensible 'rolling with the punches' defence possible in this situation. Congrats.

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Hey so I hear if you're a lazy worthless piece of poo poo and don't do anything in game you can destroy earth.

I don't think it gets destroyed. Earth just pretty much gets near wiped clean and left in complete ruins if you don't have enough assets.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

nthalp posted:

There is no context where using a group of people as an analogy for "shocking and horrible" is not offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Are we writing our own endings? Sounds fun! Here's my take on it.

The Illusive Man dies, and Shepard takes something he had on him, which was the source of his reverse-engineered indoctrination. The Citadel got to Earth because it was basically a big mass relay of its own, and this matters. The Crucible attaches to it.

Harbinger took off after Shepard once they made it into the beam, and broadcasts a holographic presence to the Citadel. Says you don't know what you're doing. Shepard says enlighten me. Harbinger explains that the Crucible has taken control of the entire mass relay network. Too much power for an imperfect species to have. Only created (I use "created" rather than "synthetic" to escape the arbitrary distinction) life can be trusted with the fate of the galaxy. They nearly destroyed their civilization, and to put a stop to it they turn themselves into Reapers. And now, any time a species is proving itself capable of unleashing the same destruction they did, they swoop in and Reaperize them as well. Obviously primitive races can't understand how awesome it is to be a Reaper until they've experienced it.

The Citadel VI conveniently explains that you can discharge all the energy of the Crucible to weaken the Reapers, and it would propagate through the mass relay network and be amplified by it - maybe enough to turn the tide based on effective military strength and decisions made during the final mission. Or you can order the fleet to stand down, and you use that energy to broadcast the Illusive Man's indoctrination signal to take control of the reapers (after which presumably more choices will follow). Or you order the fleet to stand down and submit to Reaperization, for the evil/indoctrinated option. If your military strength is high enough they'll send a shuttle to rescue you.
Fairly similar to what they were going for, but far more consistent.

Most importantly, it must actually show what becomes of all the characters. And I do mean all of them. I don't care how dumb the final decision is if it does that.

• Locked thread