Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I am going to be trying to make a homemade pizza and I wanted to make a fresh homemade tomato sauce that I can use on it. I have about 12 roma tomato's, fresh basil,garlic and oregano. Any recipe suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Darkblade posted:

I am going to be trying to make a homemade pizza and I wanted to make a fresh homemade tomato sauce that I can use on it. I have about 12 roma tomato's, fresh basil,garlic and oregano. Any recipe suggestions?

Cut an X in the non-stem end of your tomatoes and put them in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then move them to an ice bath. Peel the skins off.

Put olive oil in a cold pan, toss in 4 smashed garlic cloves, turn heat to medium. Let the oil get warm, stirring the garlic around. Remove the garlic from the oil just before it starts to brown. If you have some onions, chop them and toss them in your garlic oil. Or finely shredded carrot. This will give you some sweetness.

Add your tomatoes, about 1/2 cup of water and a good pinch of salt and turn heat to low. Lid up and cook until your tomatoes are breaking down nicely.

Chiffonade your basil, chop your oregano, add them to your sauce, then hit it with an immersion blender or food processor. Season to taste.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I'm soaking beans "8 hours or overnight" for soup. It's okay if I don't leave them in the fridge, right? Do I need to bother with covering it with a lid? (I had a half-dozen chopped up potatoes get grey fuzz overnight in the fridge one time since I didn't put any water in the bowl, I get paranoid about this stuff now).

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
They don't need to be cold but cover them so poo poo doesn't get into them.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Or I could steal Penguin's kale and cook it up with some ham hock and my brine...

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I have a fair amount of pork fat left over from trimming down a pork loin. Is there anything I can do with it? If so can I freeze it for later use? Or should I just throw it away?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lard.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Get more pork, make rillettes.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just last night I finely shredded a poo poo load of kale and made stuffed shells with it and ricotta with some marinara sauce. Kale's delicious. Put it in everything.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I just bought some new spices for some of dino's vegan food that I'm very much looking forward to. However, the packaging isn't resealable. I have this package of curry powder and some mustard & coriander seeds in similar bags.

What's the best way of storing these after opening the packages? I'd ideally like to have them good for like a year since there's so drat much of each. Thanks.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Spice jars are nice. If you have a Cost Plus World Market around, they sell really nice jars for a buck.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Spice jars are nice. If you have a Cost Plus World Market around, they sell really nice jars for a buck.

I have these and they are wonderful.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
How long will fresh mushrooms last in the fridge? The kind that come in a little foam tray with plastic wrap? My package just has a "picked on March 3" label but no indication as to how long this will last.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

razz posted:

How long will fresh mushrooms last in the fridge? The kind that come in a little foam tray with plastic wrap? My package just has a "picked on March 3" label but no indication as to how long this will last.
If you take them out of the plastic wrap and keep them in your fridge's crisper (or if your fridge is just naturally dry), expect them to last a week, week and a half. If you leave them in the plastic they'll want to get slimy/gummy from the moisture and'll go south faster.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Thankya! Will plan on using them tomorrow then!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

razz posted:

Thankya! Will plan on using them tomorrow then!
If they haven't gotten all nasty and slimy, they're good to go. I have no idea if otherwise safe culinary mushrooms will eventually become unsafe to eat, but they get pretty gross pretty quick once they start to go bad, and they'll be all wilty, deflated-looking, and slimy. Exactly how long that takes will depend on the type of mushroom---those big king oyster guys and shiitakes seem to keep pretty well compared to, say, creminis or those white button mushrooms, and they last longer than portobellos. Never actually tried to do any rigorous measurement of their respective shelf lives though.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
They're just standard white button mushrooms. As of a few hours ago they looked and felt fine. What happens anyway if you eat mushrooms after they've started to go bad?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

razz posted:

They're just standard white button mushrooms. As of a few hours ago they looked and felt fine. What happens anyway if you eat mushrooms after they've started to go bad?

If they're slightly slimy I just rinse them off, if they are squishy or moldy I throw them out.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I just wanted to post in here and thank dino for his pretzel recipe. For a first effort they turned out OK (I over baked them. My thermometer was set for Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. Whoops)

For anyone that has made pretzels at home before and thought that they turned out a little pale, I have a tip: Bake the baking soda before hand. Put a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about an hour at 250. Use this baking soda when putting the pretzel forms in boiling water and you will get a very dark mahogany brown on the finished product. Be careful with the baked soda though, baking raises the alkaline levels of the soda and it can be irritating if you have sensitive skin.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Drink and Fight posted:

If they're slightly slimy I just rinse them off, if they are squishy or moldy I throw them out.

Ditto, I've eaten slightly slimy mushrooms dozens of times, never gotten sick. I always cooked them though, raw might be pushing your luck once they get to that point.

Eden
Jul 1, 2007
One hella classy dinosaur
I'm looking for a hearty, old-fashioned meatloaf recipe. My boyfriend has never had it before so I was thinking of cooking it for dinner tomorrow night, but all the recipes I can find seem to either be a bit lacking or 'modern' recipes like asian-inspired etc. The easier (and quicker) to prepare, the better, as I won't be getting home until late tomorrow night, but I'd sacrifice effort for flavour. Thanks in advance!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Psychobabble posted:

I don't have recipes off-hand but look for pastry cream or Bavarian cream recipes. It could also be that you are not cooking your mixture long enough for the eggs to properly set, the starch is mainly there to keep the texture smooth.

Thanks! I used a Pastry Cream recipe, and added an extra whole egg and it seems to have worked fine. In fact, it might have worked too well since you could probably use this stuff to smash windows.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Eden posted:

I'm looking for a hearty, old-fashioned meatloaf recipe. My boyfriend has never had it before so I was thinking of cooking it for dinner tomorrow night, but all the recipes I can find seem to either be a bit lacking or 'modern' recipes like asian-inspired etc. The easier (and quicker) to prepare, the better, as I won't be getting home until late tomorrow night, but I'd sacrifice effort for flavour. Thanks in advance!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-meat-loaf-recipe/index.html

I don't always invoke Alton Brown, but when I do, it's for meatloaf. You can just use ground beef if you don't want to buy stuff to grind.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007
I have a lot of whey left over from making this (pseudo) ricotta. So far I've used it in place of buttermilk for cookies (yummy) and in this bread recipe, which was good but didn't have much of the slightly sourdough-ish taste I was hoping for. Any other suggestions for using whey? Protein or not, I don't want to drink it.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
So, I have two avocados and a jar of premade artichoke & lemon pesto. Would it taste okay to put both of those in the food processor to make a pesto or would it taste weird/bad? I don't have much practice with pairing food that tastes well. And if so, any suggestions on how to do it? I was thinking it mixed with pasta (spaghetti? Unless something else would be better?) and some lightly seasoned chicken.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I've had a couple jalapenos in my fridge for a bit under 2 weeks. They're still crispy for the most part, but the seeds are kind of brown. They don't smell off, show any kind of mold or anything. I wanted to make Thai chili vinegar sauce with them. Is it a bad idea to use them?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Lullabee posted:

So, I have two avocados and a jar of premade artichoke & lemon pesto. Would it taste okay to put both of those in the food processor to make a pesto or would it taste weird/bad? I don't have much practice with pairing food that tastes well. And if so, any suggestions on how to do it? I was thinking it mixed with pasta (spaghetti? Unless something else would be better?) and some lightly seasoned chicken.

The avocados in there would be weird, I think.

If you want suggestions on how learning how to pair food... a lot of it comes from practice and experience, but if you're interested there are resources available.

http://www.foodpairing.com/ This is some website I recently found (from SA I think) and while I having poked around much, it seems to be okay.

The go-to resource I would say is The Flavor Bible. It's pretty intense so I might not say go out and buy it right away, but if you can find it in a store or find some chance to peruse it, definitely do so and see what you think. I've used it in a professional setting and it just takes one step out of the brainstorming process.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

2508084 posted:

I've had a couple jalapenos in my fridge for a bit under 2 weeks. They're still crispy for the most part, but the seeds are kind of brown. They don't smell off, show any kind of mold or anything. I wanted to make Thai chili vinegar sauce with them. Is it a bad idea to use them?

Unless the seeds are integral to the dish you'd probably be okay.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Thanks for the beef stroganoff advice, those of you who gave it. I ended up making a slight bastardization of the one CuddleChunks linked. Didn't have any white wine and I hate onions so I left those out, and used venison instead of beef. Used some heavy cream to make it nice and rich, and added a bit of sour cream at the end. It came out very well - I even could have let it cook a bit longer but the meat was still pretty tender.

I was actually going to take pictures and make a thread about it but I got to the meat-cooking stage and got distracted :negative:

Do you think this recipe would work alright with ground meat?

razz fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 12, 2012

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

razz posted:

Thanks for the beef stroganoff advice, those of you who gave it. I ended up making a slight bastardization of the one CuddleChunks linked. Didn't have any white wine and I hate onions so I left those out, and used venison instead of beef. Used some heavy cream to make it nice and rich, and added a bit of sour cream at the end. It came out very well - I even could have let it cook a bit longer but the meat was still pretty tender.

I was actually going to take pictures and make a thread about it but I got to the meat-cooking stage and got distracted :negative:

Do you think this recipe would work alright with ground meat?

No, but there is basically no limit to how crappy a beef you can use, as long as you boil it until it's tender. My family recipe uses round steak, and adds tomato paste and a bunch of oregano and basil.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Turkeybone posted:

The avocados in there would be weird, I think.

If you want suggestions on how learning how to pair food... a lot of it comes from practice and experience, but if you're interested there are resources available.

http://www.foodpairing.com/ This is some website I recently found (from SA I think) and while I having poked around much, it seems to be okay.

The go-to resource I would say is The Flavor Bible. It's pretty intense so I might not say go out and buy it right away, but if you can find it in a store or find some chance to peruse it, definitely do so and see what you think. I've used it in a professional setting and it just takes one step out of the brainstorming process.

I didn't think so. Thanks for the suggestions. Definitely going to check them out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Can you freeze pumpkin pie filling and use it later without something going to hell? It seems like it should be fine.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Grand Fromage posted:

Can you freeze pumpkin pie filling and use it later without something going to hell? It seems like it should be fine.

The only problem I've ever had is that it separates a bit when you thaw it, but you can whip it back together.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

angor posted:

Tomorrow, I need to make carnitas. I have cooked very little meat in my life, so I need a bit of an idiots guide to make sure I don't gently caress this up completely. This is what I understand so far. Please let me know where I'm going wrong, or feel free to give me recipes, tips, etc.

I know I need pork butt, which is a shoulder cut. The only thing I'm weary of is going into a butcher shop in London and telling them I need pork butt. What's the UK equivalent? I'm seeing 'bone-in shoulder of pork' is my best bet.

Assuming I buy 2 kilos, here was my thought process:

Cut my pork into 2-3 inch cubes and brown them in batches in an enamelled cast iron casserole.
Deglaze with juice from 2 oranges.
Toss pork with salt, pepper, mexican oregano (dried), cayenne, 6 garlic cloves, paprika and ground cumin.
Add pork back into dutch oven along with a few deseeded chilies, one onion (cut in half), 2 halved limes, a quartered orange and enough water to come halfway up the meat.
Bring to a simmer then put in the oven at 300F for 3 hours, stirring every 45min or so.
Remove meat and set aside. Discard onion and orange pieces. Place pot on burner and reduce cooking liquid.
Shred pork.
Toss pork in reduced liquid and spread onto baking sheet. Broil until crispy.

How far off am I? I don't know how much of the spices to put in, how long to cook it (and at what temp), whether to cut the meat or leave it on the bone, etc. Please help me!

Alright, so I made this recipe with pretty good results. I want to do it again, but need a quick tip.

I want to get this ready today, then heat it up tomorrow and serve it. Should I shred, reduce, mix, refrigerate, broil before serving, OR, shred, reduce refrigerate separately, mix and broil before serving?

I'm worried about the pork drying out in the fridge if I don't mix it back immediately, but I don't know if that's going to happen or not.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

I have left over carnitas. I have pizza dough. Would you suggest using olive oil as a base for a carnitas topped pizza? I'd put some salsa and avocado on after baking. Maybe some shredded lettuce and a fwoosh of lime? Perhaps no cheese, as all I have is mozzarella.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

angor posted:

Alright, so I made this recipe with pretty good results. I want to do it again, but need a quick tip.

I want to get this ready today, then heat it up tomorrow and serve it. Should I shred, reduce, mix, refrigerate, broil before serving, OR, shred, reduce refrigerate separately, mix and broil before serving?

I'm worried about the pork drying out in the fridge if I don't mix it back immediately, but I don't know if that's going to happen or not.

If you are going to prepare today and finish in the broiler tomorrow I would do the first option (shred, reduce, mix, fridge). I see no reason to keep them separate and in fact, the flavors will probably marry better if they have had some time in each other's company.

squigadoo posted:

I have left over carnitas. I have pizza dough. Would you suggest using olive oil as a base for a carnitas topped pizza? I'd put some salsa and avocado on after baking. Maybe some shredded lettuce and a fwoosh of lime? Perhaps no cheese, as all I have is mozzarella.
I'd say get some cheddar and jack cheese and go from there.

If you are not using any cheese, and most of your toppings are going to be cold and applied after cooking the dough/heating the meat, then yes, I'd say a light coating of olive oil on the pizza dough, then topped with the carnitas, baked until warm and then topped with the avocado, salsa, and lime would be good. Though at this point you are just assembling tacos of a fashion using pizza crust instead of a tortilla or shell.

I'd probably add the cold toppings on a slice by slice basis myself so you didn't have the wetness seeping into the crust or the heat prematurely wilting the veg. Unless this is a pizza for one.

Although, thinking about it a bit further, you could make it more pizza like by using the salsa as a sauce. Maybe toss it in the food processor or reduce it on the stovetop to make it a bit more sauce like depending on consistency.

I guess it depends on if you want to make a pizza that has mexican flavors and toppings, or do you want to make a giant soft taco (tostada?) with a pizza crust base?

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 12, 2012

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

I guess it depends on if you want to make a pizza that has mexican flavors and toppings, or do you want to make a giant soft taco (tostada?) with a pizza crust base?

I was thinking of a pizza with mexican flavors and toppings, but was at a loss as to whether I should use crushed tomatoes as a base or if that would be silly. Reducing the salsa sounds good, and I'll try it with a cheddar topping. And still add avocado slices when it's out of the oven.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I sent my husband out for fresh spinach the other day and he came back with canned. Canned vegetables tend to goob me out if they're not tomatoes, corn, legumes- things of that nature that aren't so...goopy.

Is canned spinach good for anything? If I make a saag curry, will it taste like old green diapers?

It's probably a stupid question, but I've never had canned spinach to my knowledge and I'm worried about how the taste and texture compare to fresh.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Local Grocer has Stewing Hens on for 99cents a pound. It tempts me, but not sure what I could make with it. Any ideas of tasty dishes I can make with the bird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Local Grocer has Stewing Hens on for 99cents a pound. It tempts me, but not sure what I could make with it. Any ideas of tasty dishes I can make with the bird?

Coq au vin. Quite literally the dish that was made for old, tough chickens. drat simple too, it's just braising the chicken in wine.