Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyKittens
Feb 4, 2012

by angerbutt

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Hey so I hear if you're a lazy worthless piece of poo poo and don't do anything in game you can destroy earth. How does that go about happening?

Have a sufficiently low military score, and you'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I read a few posts saying that (ending spoiler regarding war score) in order to have Shepard live if you choose the destroy ending, you need 5k war score. This is not true. I went in with 4.1k, chose destroy, and he lived.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dan Didio posted:

You said something crazy offensive and going, "bluh, I didn't mean it like THAT, get over it" is like the worst, most reprehensible 'rolling with the punches' defence possible in this situation. Congrats.

Really? I did?

Ok. Well for anyone offended by the post I made on a completely different forum as a contextual analogy, which if read was not desparaging in the slightest bit to the LGBT community or at least was not intended to be, I apologize.

we cool now bro?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

nthalp posted:

Really? I did?

Yes. As numerous people have pointed out.

nthalp posted:

Ok. Well for anyone offended by the post I made on a completely different forum as a contextual analogy, which if read was not desparaging in the slightest bit to the LGBT community or at least was not intended to be, I apologize.

we cool now bro?

Yeah, thanks, a condescnding apology and your constant, condescending snideness have healed all wounds, well done. Bigotry is over.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

The game should've just ended with Shepard going up the elevator, and meeting Blasto and his new elcor sidekick who have already shot a huge pile of dead husks and are in the midst of activating the "activate to save the world" console. Then they help shep fist-fight Harbinger and launch off in an escape pod to chill with all their space bros.

What I'm saying is that literally the cheesiest, hokey-est, campiest ending that had absolutely nothing to do with the series as a whole and existed only to taunt the fans with the idea that the choices didn't really matter, would've been better than the current schlock they put in. At least it might've gotten a "hell yeah" or a laugh.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
^I love you.

You know, I stood up for Bioware alot. I mean people used to rag on them for all the wrong reasons like 'dating sim' and 'mai waifu' and 'tali sweat' and 'giggle squee'. But that was before DA2...then the various SWTOR scandals...then the stock images thing and endings for this game. It's like Bioware is the most ambitious company ever making these games with insane amounts of fully voiced dialogue and thousands of in game novels and diverging choice paths and intricate banter and blah blah. Yet somehow they are simultaneously scum of the earth, lazy, incompetent and worst of all seemingly shameless.

How do you maintain such conflicting natures so consistently and not correct them? The mistakes they make usually aren't even that huge they're just really blatant and it's sad because they're usually so easily solvable. That being said the ending cannot possibly retroactively ruin the amazing 30 hours I put into this game. poo poo owned.

V Is someone being raped in your avatar :stare:

Amateur Saboteur fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 11, 2012

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can I vote for a spoiler thread? It worked well with DEHR.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

The game should've just ended with Shepard going up the elevator, and meeting Blasto and his new elcor sidekick who have already shot a huge pile of dead husks and are in the midst of activating the "activate to save the world" console. Then they help shep fist-fight Harbinger and launch off in an escape pod to chill with all their space bros.

What I'm saying is that literally the cheesiest, hokey-est, campiest ending that had absolutely nothing to do with the series as a whole and existed only to taunt the fans with the idea that the choices didn't really matter, would've been better than the current schlock they put in. At least it might've gotten a "hell yeah" or a laugh.

The funny thing is I would unironically like that ending better. I'm not even kidding. It's a lot better.

Edit - What the gently caress is with your avatar kri kri

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx
I don't really think the ending was that bad. you're actions have consequences does not mean you can make everything work out. Changing a galactic paradigm is a pretty big meaningful choice. I take issue with the presentation though. I personally felt the Normandy thing was stupid; why was it in a loving relay anyway? More of your resources should have shown up in the end. There should have been a mission on Palavan itself. There should have been more of a mission in the citadel I think.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

kevdude posted:

I read a few posts saying that (ending spoiler regarding war score) in order to have Shepard live if you choose the destroy ending, you need 5k war score. This is not true. I went in with 4.1k, chose destroy, and he lived.

Yes, it is true.

If you have 4000 and you save Anderson, you get the Shep lives ending. If you don't save Anderson you need 5000 EMS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LittleBlackCloud posted:

I don't really think the ending was that bad. you're actions have consequences does not mean you can make everything work out. Changing a galactic paradigm is a pretty big meaningful choice. I take issue with the presentation though. I personally felt the Normandy thing was stupid; why was it in a loving relay anyway? More of your resources should have shown up in the end. There should have been a mission on Palavan itself. There should have been more of a mission in the citadel I think.

The thing is that you have a choice, but that choice is completely separate from everything else, undoes them, and you don't have the option to tell that choice to go gently caress itself even though you really should be able to, even if it ends badly.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

nthalp posted:

Really? I did?

we cool now bro?

cool non-apology. what the gently caress is wrong with you?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Charlie Mopps posted:

Shroomie posted:

What triggers Liara coming to you in your cabin wit the time capsule thing? That didn't happen my first go round.
Not sure, but it happened in my game where i had her romanced. Loved that scene, it was really :3:.

This thread moves pretty drat fast, but I also liked the scene.

Glyph just looked snug as a bug in that little thing, or some kind of astronaut in a rocket capsule.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
True Ending: After the credits, Shepard wakes up on Aria's couch. Looks around in confusion. Aria mocks him for having a retarded dream, tells him that what really happened was [Go to the Bioware website and purchase the Final Hour DLC for 960 Bioware Points!].

You know it is going to happen.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
nthalp, please explain to us what the context is that makes what you said not offensive. I'd love to know what situation "eww trannies are so gross!!!" is a cool non-bigoted thing to say

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
A couple of random thoughts: it's kind of stupid/lazy how Ashley's sister looks NOTHING like her. Like I'm not saying she needs to look like an Ashley clone but you think they could've done something than apparently pluck what looks like a generic background character model made in the character creator and said "That's Ashley's sister". gently caress why is she so much paler and why does she have red hair?

Also Udina's death felt kind of anti-climactic. He's been in all three games, was a pretty large presence in both the original and the third game and he just... gets shot after saying "To hell with this" and that's it. The standoff didn't feel as tense and dramatic as it should've and the Thane/Kai Leng fight scene felt goofy because both of them looked like they were moving in slow motion even though they weren't. It was supposed to be this cool-rear end fight scene but, well, it game off as lame. Nowhere near as cool as Thane's introduction in ME2.

As far as the ending goes... It really sucks seeing characters talking about the future and their hopes on what to do after the war is over and knowing that in the last ten minutes the game is going to go "Ahahaha screw you fucklord!" with the ending. Garrus won't get to bronze his rifle on top of the Presidium, Jacob might not get a chance to see if he can be a good father and enjoy family life. It's just... not going to happen because someone thought a twist ending would be better than a satisfying conclusion.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010
So I saw something interesting on IGN of all places.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Endings

At the bottom they say there's an extra ending if you play a second game. Has anyone poopsocked this game enough to verify this?

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Enchantment? :downs:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Quarian quest line spoilers:

I'm playing as a Paragon, but Paragon Shep has his limits in terms of tolerance. One of these limits? FIRING ON A SHIP IN WHICH HE IS ON, YOU STUPID MAN WITH A RACE GENETICALLY PREDISPOSED TO STUPID THOUGHTS. That Admiral is lucky that he only got a punch to the gut and an order to leave the Normandy.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Finally two games later I get to invoke specter privileges to kill alliance double-crosser.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bloomington posted:

So I saw something interesting on IGN of all places.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Endings

At the bottom they say there's an extra ending if you play a second game. Has anyone poopsocked this game enough to verify this?

As usual, IGN doesn't know what they're talking about. There's no extra ending, just an extra scene that you can also get by carrying over an ME2 save file.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
The ending wouldn't be as bad if it gave us some kind of closure on the Krogan, the Quarians/Geth, and the fate of the fleet in the Sol system, since everything we've learned about the galaxy beforehand indicates they're all screwed now, even if you made the hard choices to get the best outcomes for them, and there's nothing to indicate otherwise. Mordin, Legion, and even Thane's sacrifices were all in vain. All of the people you talked to on the Citadel to resolve their conversations? They're all dead. The old lady that was going senile in the embassy? She got turned into goo and that goo got blown up. If you promised your LI you were coming back, welp.

Bitching that a happy ending would be unrealistic or wouldn't fit the theme of sacrifice is stupid, since there was supposed to be multiple endings. I don't think anyone is saying that a happy ending should be the default. I'd be more than happy if, like ME2, being lazy (or even making logical choices, like sending the guy who sneaks around in vents into a vent or picking a war leader guy to lead some war stuff, but without the benefit of understanding the game's hidden mechanics) led to a lackluster result with a lot of casualties and poo poo being hosed up, but if you put in the work to do every side mission and plan everything perfectly you get a better ending. The ending being sad isn't the problem, the ending changing the setting fundamentally isn't the problem, the problem is the lack of a real epilogue to explain what the gently caress just happened, and the lack of any variation in the endings. We went through all of that for a palette swap and apparently random squadmates popping out of the Normandy? That's it, that's the whole ending?

I just can't understand how that came to be, when there was so much attention to detail put into calling back and paying off tiny, irrelevant things from a game that came out five years ago. It's really jarring to go through a really well written and enjoyable game that completely spirals into poo poo in about ten minutes. Even the design choices are poor. Couldn't I just use the dialogue wheel, instead of holding down the W key for five minutes to make my choice? You choose physical actions through the wheel constantly in all three games!

Thulsa Doom fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 11, 2012

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

As usual, IGN doesn't know what they're talking about. There's no extra ending, just an extra scene that you can also get by carrying over an ME2 save file.
I figured it'd be something like this, thanks for the quick response!

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone else die like 10 times to the Marauder at the end I must suck at aiming.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Quarian quest line spoilers:

I'm playing as a Paragon, but Paragon Shep has his limits in terms of tolerance. One of these limits? FIRING ON A SHIP IN WHICH HE IS ON, YOU STUPID MAN WITH A RACE GENETICALLY PREDISPOSED TO STUPID THOUGHTS. That Admiral is lucky that he only got a punch to the gut and an order to leave the Normandy.

Anyone who didn't robo-genocide the Quarians has a broken brain. Their politicians and generals are all idiots, but mostly it was payback for making me go to that stupid exile trial in ME2

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Can someone repost the save game editor for ME3? I want to do a new game+ now that I've got the from the ashes DLC, but I don't really want to be a soldier for the fourth time.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Aristobulus posted:

Someone spoil this for me, I never really played the game. How similar is ME3's ending to DA2's ending, and any outrage around it? I don't know a whole lot about DA2 other than that it's apparently a disappointing game.

If they are similar, I'm just surprised that Bioware went through with this, for their biggest game, despite already causing outrage over something similar in another series of theirs.

Really, if they don't do something about this, they are likely to sour their reputation for a lot of fans. I'm not going to be interested in getting invested in a new Bioware series after this, personally, if they never come out with an expansion or dlc or something that fixes the ending.

Going from what I've watched on my fiance's screen when he's played DA2, it essentially doesn't matter which choice one makes at the end for the factions since the leader of it's going to go crazy and fight your Hawke and both factions always end up to go the worst of their depiction even when it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. So I figure the DA2 comparison's essentially the fact that no matter what your character does, it's as if it were nothing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Anyone else die like 10 times to the Marauder at the end I must suck at aiming.

yeah. that and defend the missle truck 3 times in row.
truthfully i liked me3, the endings were lame but holy crap the ride getting there was awesome.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Longshot007 posted:

Can someone repost the save game editor for ME3? I want to do a new game+ now that I've got the from the ashes DLC, but I don't really want to be a soldier for the fourth time.

Has gibbed gotten his up? I know he's working on it and there's like an early version on his SVN but I didn't realize there was a decent one out or something.

More info!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

KnoxZone posted:

True Ending: After the credits, Shepard wakes up on Aria's couch. Looks around in confusion. Aria mocks him for having a retarded dream, tells him that what really happened was [Go to the Bioware website and purchase the Final Hour DLC for 960 Bioware Points!].

You know it is going to happen.

Bioware making people pay to fix there horrible ending would be one of the most scummy things imaginable.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

ending:

Do you even get to talk to the kid during the ending, or is it non-interactive?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

kri kri posted:

Can I vote for a spoiler thread? It worked well with DEHR.

Working on one now.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Internet Kraken posted:

Bioware making people pay to fix there horrible ending would be one of the most scummy things imaginable.
You suggest they do it for free then (hahahaha) or not do it at all?

Also quick question: Are there any 'finish the game' bonuses? Like I started my second Shep a little before I beat the game on my first, is there anything like bonus creds or more EXP like in ME2 for making a new game after beating it once?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Shepard's eyelids stopped rendering during a random cutscene. I think it improves the game significantly.

http://i.imgur.com/jYXSt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/f24Ow.jpg

Linked so no tables are broken.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Badassfully: The Blasto 6 audiolog is amazing. It's so hidden away, I would never have found it if I didn't regret being nice to Miranda and reloaded.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

OK I was avoiding this thread til I finished the game, and now that I have... well maybe I should just catch up on the thread first. I am super mad. >:[

Oh 119 pages, maybe not. Maybe just the last like... ten.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 11, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I finished the game yesterday and I'm still not sure what happened.

There was a black & white shot of Liara while sad piano music played. It was never explained why. The woman Shep has been in a relationship with for three games died offscreen (maybe) and was mourned with three seconds of tinkly piano.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

The ending I wanted was just "and everybody lived happily ever after." :(

Also, in the last conversation why isn't there an option to say "Are you God?" Seriously, that whole thing just brought up more questions rather than actually answering any.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I finished the game yesterday and I'm still not sure what happened.

There was a black & white shot of Liara while sad piano music played. It was never explained why. The woman Shep has been in a relationship with for three games died offscreen (maybe) and was mourned with three seconds of tinkly piano.

That clip actually wasn't meant to signify your romance, I think it plays every time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Amateur Saboteur posted:

You suggest they do it for free then (hahahaha) or not do it at all?

Also quick question: Are there any 'finish the game' bonuses? Like I started my second Shep a little before I beat the game on my first, is there anything like bonus creds or more EXP like in ME2 for making a new game after beating it once?

In a wonderful good world they would do it for free out of respect for their customers who wanted them to actually end the series in a decent way. Of course that won't happen, so it should have a good amount of content to go with it ala Fallout 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Shepard's eyelids stopped rendering during a random cutscene. I think it improves the game significantly.

http://i.imgur.com/jYXSt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/f24Ow.jpg

Linked so no tables are broken.

I think this greatly improves on the original. Please post your save so that others may enjoy Shepard's deathless unflinching gaze.

• Locked thread