Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I won't be using 3G or 4G ever, just WiFi. I'm out of work right now so I shouldn't be dropping $500 on anything except bills.
But you'll go ahead and drop $300 on a tablet? You're not making a whole lot of sense here, maybe you should just hang on to the money until you get another job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I'd like to also point out that 1024x600 is a really dumb resolution.

Speaking of which, does anyone know a good place to get the GSM 7.7 imported?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My Linux Rig posted:

But you'll go ahead and drop $300 on a tablet? You're not making a whole lot of sense here, maybe you should just hang on to the money until you get another job.

$300 is almost half as much as $500 so its easier for my to justify. I'm a union electrician so I'm just laid off, not out of work. I could literally be called back to work any day now (fingers crossed). A bunch of websites say that ASUS Google Nexus tablet may be out in May/June so maybe I will just wait.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

$300 is almost half as much as $500 so its easier for my to justify. I'm a union electrician so I'm just laid off, not out of work. I could literally be called back to work any day now (fingers crossed). A bunch of websites say that ASUS Google Nexus tablet may be out in May/June so maybe I will just wait.
You might want to wait for the reviews too. I still have my doubts that ASUS will actually manage to make a good device, even with Google's help.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I have one and like it a lot, but nothing those people said is untrue. I basically got it because I had an itch and I'm going to hand it off to the fiance when the Asus tabby hits.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I don't think the Google/ASUS tablet rumor is true. I mean, yes Google is probably coming out with a tablet but I'm not so sure the 7-inch Transformer Prime is it.

It's skinned to how ASUS has the Transformer line (the back, home, and recent apps button look different than stock HC/ICS) and there are ASUS-branded apps and widgets installed on it.

I just don't think that this tablet will be the Google reference tablet if it's going to be skinned and have extra apps like that on it. Doesn't the XOOM 1 have no skinning at all and the Moto-apps are downloadable on the Motorola site or the Google Play Store (Market...thing)?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I think the rumors were that Google would take the kind of hardware ASUS was showing and put an unskinned Nexus build on it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rastor posted:

I think the rumors were that Google would take the kind of hardware ASUS was showing and put an unskinned Nexus build on it.

Most of what I've been hearing is that the 7" Transformer Prime would be the tablet and it seems a lot of people have accepted that as a fact as tons of places are reporting it.

It sounds more plausible that ASUS and Google will make a separate tablet and the 7" Prime will be a whole other thing.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

You're right to bail.

Ended up selling my TF101 today for $380. Paid $350 for it 2 months ago.

eBay is a strange place. I'm not really going to miss the Android tablet scene but my GSM GNEX is going nowhere. Love the thing.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 11, 2012

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
My brother asked me for advice on which tablet to get. He wants to use it for casual internet browsing and entertainment during long flights. I feel an ipad is overkill, not to mention expensive (the ipad 2 16g wifi is still more than 500 usd here).
What do you guys suggest ?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Where is "here"?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Spatule posted:

My brother asked me for advice on which tablet to get. He wants to use it for casual internet browsing and entertainment during long flights. I feel an ipad is overkill, not to mention expensive (the ipad 2 16g wifi is still more than 500 usd here).
What do you guys suggest ?

You realize that spending less than $500 on a tablet is a sure fire way to get a less than stellar tablet, right? I mean, yeah, I know you said you're just going to use it for internet browsing and entertainment, but that actually involves a lot in a tablet. Why go cheap on that and just end up with a mediocre or horrible experience when you could have spent a bit more to get a good experience?

Not to mention, tablets/smartphones carry a certain bevy of promises now, including well designed third party support, a good web browser, a smooth UI, and OEM support that lasts longer than a few months. You will be disappointed if the cheap tablet you get doesn't deliver on all that, even if you say "Oh, I just want it for internet browsing". When that disappointment sets in, it won't be long until the temptation of the next cheap tablet will convince you to sell your current tablet and buy a new one.

Basically what I'm saying is don't consider any tablet overkill, and expect to pay $500+ for a tablet.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Personally I'd look at the Acer A200.

The areas where it skimps (compared to a more expensive Android tablet) are fairly insignificant and its certainly cheap.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Android Tablet Thread:Just buy an iPad 3

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Star War Sex Butt posted:

Where is "here"?

He travels between Europe and Vietnam, usually through Moscow.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

You realize that spending less than $500 on a tablet is a sure fire way to get a less than stellar tablet, right? I mean, yeah, I know you said you're just going to use it for internet browsing and entertainment, but that actually involves a lot in a tablet. Why go cheap on that and just end up with a mediocre or horrible experience when you could have spent a bit more to get a good experience?

Not to mention, tablets/smartphones carry a certain bevy of promises now, including well designed third party support, a good web browser, a smooth UI, and OEM support that lasts longer than a few months. You will be disappointed if the cheap tablet you get doesn't deliver on all that, even if you say "Oh, I just want it for internet browsing". When that disappointment sets in, it won't be long until the temptation of the next cheap tablet will convince you to sell your current tablet and buy a new one.

Basically what I'm saying is don't consider any tablet overkill, and expect to pay $500+ for a tablet.

Isn't an ipad 2 bloody cheap in the US right now ? As in 350 usd ? I'm not paying 399 euros for the exact same thing here.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

My Linux Rig posted:

You realize that spending less than $500 on a tablet is a sure fire way to get a less than stellar tablet, right?

If this is the case, then why don't people just buy laptops? If you don't give a poo poo about playing WoW and the other things you're prevented from doing on a tablet anyway, it seems like a better deal.

:iiaca: but if you have to buy a Mercedes just to get a car you don't hate, why are so many people buying $300-$400 tablets anyway? Is it just because the concept is trendy?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

If this is the case, then why don't people just buy laptops? If you don't give a poo poo about playing WoW and the other things you're prevented from doing on a tablet anyway, it seems like a better deal.

:iiaca: but if you have to buy a Mercedes just to get a car you don't hate, why are so many people buying $300-$400 tablets anyway? Is it just because the concept is trendy?

It's more like buying a brand new car compared to some lovely piece of poo poo that's gone through 4 learner drivers since 2002.

It still drives ok as long until you don't try to use the clutch or turn the wheel.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 11, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dodoman posted:

Android Tablet Thread:Just buy an iPad 3

IPad or wait for windows.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kazy posted:

I'd like to also point out that 1024x600 is a really dumb resolution
What is dumb about 1024x600 ?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
So I want to get a tablet mainly to use at school. In spite of the reported issues, I'm pretty strongly considering just getting a transformer prime, though I keep hoping the price will drop to try and keep it more competitive with the new Ipad. Mainly I want it for viewing textbooks, but the ability to work on papers would be really nice (so I like the attachable keyboard feature.) I have a few hundred dollars in amazon giftcards from textbook turn ins, which I dont really have anything else do with, but I still feel like I'm rolling the dice if I go with a prime.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

My Linux Rig posted:

You're wrong. I know you know that, but I don't want people to actually believe you that a $500+ tablet is necessary for everyone. If you're going to spend that much, absolutely an iPad 3 is your best bet. If you don't think a laptop without a keyboard is a necessary complement to your smartphone and laptop, then no you don't need to spend so much.

I would be irate if I spent $500 on my tablet because it simply isn't that useful. It's a toy. There are one or two things I use it for that a tablet does better than a laptop: couch surfing and reading. Those few things do not justify, to me, a $500 premium over the laptop I already have. They do justify a <$200 Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet or used iPad 1 or Transformer and any of those would do a good job of couch surfing and reading.

This isn't YOSPOS (sometimes hard to tell, I know). Us poors can post here about our poor needs and get advice from other poors.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Cardboard Box A posted:

What is dumb about 1024x600 ?

It's not really a great resolution for anything. Too short in landscape, too narrow in portrait, too wide for general video. The button bar at the bottom in ICS doesn't help either because it throws the aspect ratio off even more.

Speaking of which, what's the best video player out there? I can't seem to get videos to scale properly on my tablet. It's either full screen at the wrong aspect ratio or nothing.

HPL fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 11, 2012

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Ciabatta posted:

You're wrong. :words:
Well, I guess if you want a cheap toy, then by all means, get a $100 tablet but don't be too surprised if it sucks. However, if you're planning to hang on to your tablet for more than a couple months, then you might want to spend a little more.

Also, why are you talking about being poor being a hurdle to getting a $500 tablet? This isn't a $50,000 Mercedes, its a $500 tablet. If you can't afford that, then may I suggest that you hold off on buying a tablet tell you take care of your obvious financial problems.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

HPL posted:

It's either full screen at the wrong aspect ratio or nothing.

MX Player is pretty awesome. That's all I've been using on my tablet.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

pseudanonymous posted:

I still feel like I'm rolling the dice if I go with a prime.
Is there a particular question/concern you'd like addressed?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you buy a prime just make sure you buy it locally so you can return or exchange it easily.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

My Linux Rig posted:

Well, I guess if you want a cheap toy, then by all means, get a $100 tablet but don't be too surprised if it sucks. However, if you're planning to hang on to your tablet for more than a couple months, then you might want to spend a little more.

Also, why are you talking about being poor being a hurdle to getting a $500 tablet? This isn't a $50,000 Mercedes, its a $500 tablet. If you can't afford that, then may I suggest that you hold off on buying a tablet tell you take care of your obvious financial problems.

I think you're overreacting a bit, I definitely consider a $500 price point to be too high for the value returned by any tablet used for mainly browsing and reading, and the occasional Angry Birds.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

My Linux Rig posted:

My Linux Rig posted:

My Linux Rig posted:

This isn't a $50,000 Mercedes, its a $500 tablet. If you can't afford that, then may I suggest that you hold off on buying a tablet tell you take care of your obvious financial problems.

I was wondering if that burning bush told you anything about the Kindle Fire and the reduced-price iPad2 while it was explaining the mysteries of the universe to you. We simpletons would like to know.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Pweller posted:

I think you're overreacting a bit, I definitely consider a $500 price point to be too high for the value returned by any tablet used for mainly browsing and reading, and the occasional Angry Birds.
If you think that, then why get a tablet. You could just get a good ebook reader, keep your laptop or phone, and you'd be set.

There's a lot of money to be potentially saved there because a good eink reader only costs $99.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I must just be a sorry plebe because I've really enjoyed my tablet that didn't cost near 500. The experience has been pretty dang solid.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

My Linux Rig posted:

If you think that, then why get a tablet. You could just get a good ebook reader, keep your laptop or phone, and you'd be set.

There's a lot of money to be potentially saved there because a good eink reader only costs $99.

True, except that an e-reader won't have any casual games, or play movies/youtube as far as I'm aware.

My point was that it is frustrating seeing people come in and ask for a recommendation for a basic commuter device, wanting to get the best value for their dollar, only to be recommended top of the line, overpriced products, and writing off everything else as defective.

The reason people ask people such as yourself for advice is because you are presumably a bit of an expert, and understand all of the ins and outs of the various devices. The hope is that you're friendly enough to think about what would be the best value for the lowest dollar that would meet their needs, without going overkill. Every 'geek' that's ever obsessed on any particular topic seems to ignore this concept and then has their opinions ignored in the future by normal people, since you can't reasonably maintain a habit of purchasing the best of everything throughout your life.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Frozen-Solid posted:

MX Player is pretty awesome. That's all I've been using on my tablet.

Haha. Silly me. Turns out the video refused to scale properly because it doesn't work with hardware decoding. Switching to software decoding fixed it. But then again, if I hadn't downloaded MX Player and messed around with the settings, I probably wouldn't have figured that out.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Pweller posted:

True, except that an e-reader won't have any casual games, or play movies/youtube as far as I'm aware.
That's what the phone/laptop is for.

Pweller posted:

My point was that it is frustrating seeing people come in and ask for a recommendation for a basic commuter device, wanting to get the best value for their dollar, only to be recommended top of the line, overpriced products, and writing off everything else as defective.
What? How is a $500 tablet overpriced? That's like balking at a $20,000 price tag on a brand new car. Sorry, but if you want something that works reasonably well and is a good value, that's the average price you'll have to pay.

It you really think that the $500 price tag is too much for a tablet, then maybe you should reassess why you want to buy a tablet.

Pweller posted:

The reason people ask people such as yourself for advice is because you are presumably a bit of an expert, and understand all of the ins and outs of the various devices. The hope is that you're friendly enough to think about what would be the best value for the lowest dollar that would meet their needs, without going overkill.
That's what I did. Again, if you think $500 is overkill for a tablet, then maybe you don't want one. It's okay, not everyone has to buy a tablet.

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 11, 2012

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pweller posted:

I haven't seen anyone be recommended a Xoom or HTC Jetstream so I'm not sure what you're exactly on about here

The fact of the matter is that the $500 tablets ARE the basic commuter devices. The ones that aren't are slow, laggy, buggy pieces of junk. And, yes, that includes the Kindle Fire.

Also the notion that $500 is overpriced is just lunacy.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

My Linux Rig posted:

Again, if you think $500 is overkill for a tablet, then maybe you don't want one. It's okay, not everyone has to buy a tablet.

Again, you're simply wrong. It's OK. Many of us in this thread enjoy our <$500 tablet. If you're enjoying your iPad 2, even you are enjoying a <$500 tablet :wth: Crazy.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Ciabatta posted:

Again, you're simply wrong. It's OK. Many of us in this thread enjoy our <$500 tablet. If you're enjoying your iPad 2, even you are enjoying a <$500 tablet :wth: Crazy.
Cool. You enjoy your cheap tablet. That's nice.

What I was focused with here is giving someone advice on buying a tablet. It just doesn't seem like good advice to me to tell him to get any cheap old tablet.

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 11, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Ciabatta posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is this poo poo, the things my Linux rig are saying are patently untrue. He is giving lovely advice and basically lying to people.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

If you're just going to use it for web browsing, watching movies and videos, and reading ebooks/pdfs, get a Kindle Fire. It's $200 and is a really solid tablet for that price. I've been super-happy with mine.

I'm sure a Nook would also work, but I have Amazon Prime and that turns the Fire into an awesome deal (I mostly use it for the free e-book every month, which is like saving $10 a month if you read a lot!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overseerbrian
Jun 25, 2005

Codiusprime posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is this poo poo, the things my Linux rig are saying are patently untrue. He is giving lovely advice and basically lying to people.

Check his post history. He's pretty obviously just trolling from YOSPOS.