Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

Your morals are my morals. Your wishes are my code.

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

ending:

Do you even get to talk to the kid during the ending, or is it non-interactive?

You get
one line IIRC. Paragon Shepard says something about how people have no hope if they have no future, and the kid says something about how people don't need hope.
I can't bring myself to do the whole last section, which takes like half an hour (can't save during it...) just in order to go through that fuckery again, so someone else can mention the renegade side...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Internet Kraken posted:

In a wonderful good world they would do it for free out of respect for their customers who wanted them to actually end the series in a decent way. Of course that won't happen, so it should have a good amount of content to go with it ala Fallout 3.

What'll actually happen is $10 for an epilogue slideshow.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
So over the course of this week I finally finished my ME1 savegame that I started all the way back in 2008, then imported that into ME2, beat it, imported THAT into ME3, and just now beat that.

Having my Shep die at the end after like 40 hours of straight being a badass and saving the galaxy and hooking up with Tali in ME1/2 was a super huge bummer. :(

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Also, in the last conversation why isn't there an option to say "Are you God?" Seriously, that whole thing just brought up more questions rather than actually answering any.

"You know he doesn't like to be called that."

Rampant Dwickery fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 11, 2012

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Just finished the Thessia mission. Random thought about the boss there:

Kai Leng might be my least favorite character of the series (discounting complete forgettables like Jacob). I'm not averse to the idea that Cerberus has an ace in the hole/king poo poo assassin, but his design was just so goddamned hokey and awful that it was embarrassing. It just made me disgusted that a guy designed like an idealistic anime badass would get one up on the hero of the galaxy.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

CVagts posted:

Kai Leng might be my least favorite character of the series (discounting complete forgettables like Jacob). I'm not averse to the idea that Cerberus has an ace in the hole/king poo poo assassin, but his design was just so goddamned hokey and awful that it was embarrassing. It just made me disgusted that a guy designed like an idealistic anime badass would get one up on the hero of the galaxy.

Yeah he rubbed me the wrong way too. I thought the 'space ninja' thing was pretty lame.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

lwoodio posted:

That clip actually wasn't meant to signify your romance, I think it plays every time.
But is she dead or what? Anderson got the same treatment (I got him killed) but there nothing to indicate Liara was even in danger. The game popped its head in the door, went "by the way bro she's dead I think" and wandered off to watch tv.

e: Kai Leng looks like a rejected design for Adam Jensen. Every time he showed up I couldn't help thinking of Human Revolution. Written by a troper.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CVagts posted:

Kai Leng is the loving stupidest character in the entire Mass Effect franchise. Just the stupidest and most loving ridiculous character. Just him being Captain Mary Sue I AM SO BADASS despite not having shown up in any previous games alone is enough to sour me on him. Did anyone like that guy?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Kai Leng is the loving stupidest character in the entire Mass Effect franchise. Just the stupidest and most loving ridiculous character. Just him being Captain Mary Sue I AM SO BADASS despite not having shown up in any previous games alone is enough to sour me on him. Did anyone like that guy?

At least his super-badass and stylish wow so cool introduction is immediately defused by Thane politely walking in and showing everyone how a real professional does business.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Shepard's eyelids stopped rendering during a random cutscene. I think it improves the game significantly.

http://i.imgur.com/jYXSt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/f24Ow.jpg

Linked so no tables are broken.

I find that the little graphical errors really enhance the experience. For example Mordin in the tower tinkering away at the console while his head is turned completely to the left, clipping through his little brace thing while every so often flicking around in every direction.

Also maybe it's just a problem with the 360 version but has anyone else had Javik's dialogue completely gently caress up where a line will show up for a half second before skipping to the next line or multiple times where a line will appear but he won't actually say anything? This happens with practically every second conversation I have with him on the ship.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I liked breaking his sword with my fist and stabbing him in his stupid anime armor so that's something.

...Did anyone not hit that interrupt? What happens?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

But is she dead or what? Anderson got the same treatment (I got him killed) but there nothing to indicate Liara was even in danger. The game popped its head in the door, went "by the way bro she's dead I think" and wandered off to watch tv.

Well I mean Joker got a grayscale shot and HE didn't die. I think they just picked 3 highly-recognizable characters and went with them?

Also In the ending cutscene as Joker was trying to outrace the shockwave I was totally sure he was gonna bite it and I got super sad because man I really liked him and I was bummed that my action ended up killing him. Then he hopped out with his space girlfriend and now they can make human/AI hybrid babies so it all worked out.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yeah Kai Leng was loving terrible.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Spoiler thread a-go-go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471712

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Watuhboy posted:

I liked breaking his sword with my fist and stabbing him in his stupid anime armor so that's something.

Shep dodges at the last second then totally stabs him in the gut with his omnitool blade. It's still cool and gratifying.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I think the point of his existence was to piss the player off as much as possible.

At the end how do you save Anderson? In my conversation I did both paragon options. I'm guessing that I need to use a different one for the first one, or that I screwed something up a long time ago in the game.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

At least his super-badass and stylish wow so cool introduction is immediately defused by Thane politely walking in and showing everyone how a real professional does business.

That's the best loving part. And then Thane's all "tell that guy he sucks for letting a dying man stop him from killing his target."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So, just finished it.
Here are my thoughts.

Bah gently caress taking plot discussion to the spoiler thread.

First, gently caress banshees. I don't know if it's intended but numerous times they have done their annoying pick you up and stab you with a giant arm motion from like 10 feet away and I've been dragged towards them. That last fight on Earth was bad enough on Normal, I'm dreading Insanity. Interestingly first few times I saw that animation I thought they were just stroking your head and doing some weird twisted Reaper-Ardat Yakshi thing where they steal your soul just with a touch. Then I noticed the other hand, lol.

On the whole, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. It is certainly not world-shatteringly good or about to completely break a mold, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of it (when I really should have been studying.)

Honestly, my biggest complaint of the game (as anyone who has played multi with me will know) is that I am a member of team Quote Stack. That scene where you are fleeing a Cerberus base and hundreds upon hundreds of troops are pursuing you... I was practically shouting 'LET ME AT THEM!' Would have been SO much fun.

Man, that was way longer than intended.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 11, 2012

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

ImpAtom posted:

Someone on the ME design team REALLY liked MGS4 Raiden I guess. Not a surprise that a character who first showed up in the books is poo poo. Kahlee I guess isn't but she's also fairly generic and forgettable anyway and doesn't have anywhere near the plot presence Kai Leng does.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can someone explain who this Kai Leng guy is and what purpose he serves in the plot? I never heard of him before this thread and am really confused because the descriptions I've read make him sound horribly out of place.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
^^^^
He, Kahlee Sanders, and the Grayson guy referenced to occasionally are major characters in the 4 canonized Mass Effect novels.

I was looking on youtube for the different endings and everyone seems so super psyched that you can make Shep live, but it's like his life will be so terrible now and he will still never see any of his friends again or spill some drinks on the Citadel.

That and the fact he brought basically the entire universe to Earth meaning they are stranded on that tiny planet that is already pretty loving full in 2012 I have no idea what Earth is about to do with 10 billion asari, salarians, quarians, turians, krogans..

Also I could have sworn Shepard had to die in Destroy because he was half synthetic :confused:

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Watuhboy posted:

No, but when I didn't interrupt the Illusive Man's bullet at the end of the game, I got a game over screen and had to go through 10 minutes of unskippable dialogue again.:suicide:

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Can someone explain who this Kai Leng guy is and what purpose he serves in the plot? I never heard of him before this thread and am really confused because the descriptions I've read make him sound horribly out of place.

He was a lovely character in the lovely Mass Effect novel nobody read and he's the shittiest character in the game because of being a dumb anime ninja with plot armor.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Suben posted:

Also maybe it's just a problem with the 360 version but has anyone else had Javik's dialogue completely gently caress up where a line will show up for a half second before skipping to the next line or multiple times where a line will appear but he won't actually say anything? This happens with practically every second conversation I have with him on the ship.

It happens in the PC version as well. Rather jarring in the final section.

Overdesigned posted:

Shep dodges at the last second then totally stabs him in the gut with his omnitool blade. It's still cool and gratifying.

That interrupt (along with punching Gerrel are my two favorite interrupts of the game.

Internet Kraken posted:

Kai Leng is a shameful attempt by Bioware to get you to buy the Mass Effect books to figure out what's going on. (It doesn't help.)

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

CVagts posted:

I like the e-mail you get after that, where He basically says "You're not bad, but remember that in the end, I was better." :smug: Yeah, you and your personal loving gunship, rear end in a top hat.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Charlie Mopps posted:

The game is 99% amazing, especially if you've played 1 and 2. Its just the last 10 minutes that are terrible, the other 30 hours are great.
I'm going to standby this, really played the hell out of it.
I just wish the child was handled differently or hell they had Harbinger approach you instead, making it a bit more unique.
Also, Javik really adds in a ton of detail during the game with his comments on missions and Liara getting pissed at him due to him telling the truth about the Asari history.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't think Kai Leng was supposed to be particularly intimidating, at least not to you. Thane kicks his rear end the first time you encounter him; the second time, you've got him on the ropes but then he calls in a gunship, and then when you actually finish him off he goes down like a chump and can't even sneak up on you afterward. All he's really good at is running away, and I thought that was a perfectly acceptable thing for a minor antagonist to constantly do.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Does Anderson really compare him to the Reapers?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Merry Magpie posted:

I think this greatly improves on the original. Please post your save so that others may enjoy Shepard's deathless unflinching gaze.

Sadly, it was just for one cutscene, but it will live on in my heart.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Bongo Bill posted:

I don't think Kai Leng was supposed to be particularly intimidating, at least not to you. Thane kicks his rear end the first time you encounter him; the second time, you've got him on the ropes but then he calls in a gunship, and then when you actually finish him off he goes down like a chump and can't even sneak up on you afterward. All he's really good at is running away, and I thought that was a perfectly acceptable thing for a minor antagonist to constantly do.

The fight with Kai Leng at the Illusive Man's Base was really lack luster. Once his shields dropped I one shot him. :smith:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

Kinda sorta but not really. He just reiterates that the guy is not to be taken lightly, and Shepard shouldn't forget that while in the middle of all the Reaper nonsense.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

The best part is the fact that Shepard pretty much flat out says that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I forgot about his incredibly weaksauce taunt that he emails you. It's like, this is supposed to get me down? Shepard keeps things in perspective.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

He reiterates his interaction with Leng in the books (basically playing Cerberus assassin, plus Anderson shooting him in the leg, so not particularly intimidating), and says "don't gently caress with this guy.

It's not exactly the best vouch for character ever.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ok so I just finished it. Is that it? Really? What happens doesn't even make sense with the choice I made. I decided to control the Reapers, as it was the only way not to kill all synthetics, and the Geth and EDI were my bros. So I figured that Shep would either take them back where they came from, or have them all crash into the sun, or shut them down, or something. Instead, it acts like I picked the synthesis ending, and shows Joker crash landing out of the Mass Relays being destroyed (why was he in a Mass Relay during a giant fight?) and then him and Liara and Liara (why were they on the ship in a Mass Relay with Joker when they were both in my ground squad on earth?) on some planet. Did they forget to render out the proper ending for that choice or something? What happens if I pick the other ones? And why was there a blue filter over everything that made it almost impossible to see what was happening? What the gently caress did I just watch? What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Ok so I just finished it. Is that it? Really? What happens doesn't even make sense with the choice I made. I decided to control the Reapers, as it was the only way not to kill all synthetics, and the Geth and EDI were my bros. So I figured that Shep would either take them back where they came from, or have them all crash into the sun, or shut them down, or something. Instead, it acts like I picked the synthesis ending, and shows Joker crash landing out of the Mass Relays being destroyed (why was he in a Mass Relay during a giant fight?) and then him and Liara and Liara (why were they on the ship in a Mass Relay with Joker when they were both in my ground squad on earth?) on some planet. Did they forget to render out the proper ending for that choice or something? What happens if I pick the other ones? And why was there a blue filter over everything that made it almost impossible to see what was happening? What the gently caress did I just watch? What the gently caress is this poo poo?

The other choices are exactly the same, except with a red filter for the destroy ending and a green one for the synthesis ending.

Just remember that you aren't alone in thinking that it's the dumbest thing ever.

Didja Redo
Jan 24, 2010

Wanna try my freedom meat BBQ meat?

CVagts posted:

I wouldn't even mind so much if he was actually as badass as he's played up to be. Everyone's like "Whoa, this guy's loving scary, watch out" and yet both fights with him are a joke. I didn't get hit once because he spent the entire time posing, doing backflips and running away to recharge. And then he acts like he got the better of you because he called in a gunship to blow the building up.

I mean I really wanted to kill the dude so mission accomplished there I guess, but it was nothing to do with righteous anger and everything to do with him being a lovely, petty villain who only "won" because he had plot armour.

EDIT: Hell, he should have died on the Citadel, but no, we all have to stand and watch while Thane beats his rear end. HE'S ON THE FLOOR, HE'S DOWN, loving SHOOT NOW PLEASE

Didja Redo fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 11, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

The other choices are exactly the same, except with a red filter for the destroy ending and a green one for the synthesis ending.

Just remember that you aren't alone in thinking that it's the dumbest thing ever.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :laffo:

Yeah, going with my theory that Bioware just forgot to make different endings and this was the best they could come up with in such a short time frame. At least with that after the credits coda they put with the Stargazer and the kid, it would be really easy to just retcon the whole thing. Some other guy comes up and is like "you're full of poo poo, old man, THIS is how it really happened" and then Shepard right hooks a reaper in the face and the whole galaxy explodes behind her while she makes out with Liara.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 11, 2012

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
OK, I'm a little irked I can't get Kelly to show up on the Citadel, is there any way to edit either my ME3 or ME2 savegame to include the had dinner with her option you needed to do to get her in ME3? I'd be annoyed at losing play time if I have to go back to my ME2 save but right now I'm a short enough way in it won't really hurt too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Didja Redo posted:

I wouldn't even mind so much if he was actually as badass as he's played up to be. Everyone's like "Whoa, this guy's loving scary, watch out" and yet both fights with him are a joke. I didn't get hit once because he spent the entire time posing, doing backflips and running away to recharge. And then he acts like he got the better of you because he called in a gunship to blow the building up.

I mean I really wanted to kill the dude so mission accomplished there I guess, but it was nothing to do with righteous anger and everything to do with him being a lovely, petty villain who only "won" because he had plot armour.

Thats what really pissed me out about him. I hate it when characters are loving arrogant as hell when it's so drat undeserved. Plus his design sucks, a cyborg Asian ninja assassin who fights with a sword and an energy blaster hand? Really BioWare? ugh

• Locked thread