Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Kai Leng is the lamest villain in the series and an awful attempt by bioware to create someone badass. Punching through his sword was so satisfying and having Thane kick the poo poo out of him was equally satisfying. I still have a hard time comprehending why Anderson warned me about him when I've personally killed spectres, reapers, mechs and more.

Give me Harbinger back so I can kick his rear end again, not this anime dork. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

From what I understand, that specific choice isn't dependent on your paragon or renegade score. Rather, it is dependent on you choosing every single charm/intimidate option with the illusive man in all previous encounters. If you don't, the option is greyed out. If you think you did, you probably missed some by not picking the right dialogue options. This is very easy to gently caress up.

Thanks for the response, both you and randombattle.
Can anyone give me a rundown of what does happen here if I was able to do that last persuade?

Edit: Kai does suck, but that boss fight with him at cerberus hq is actually really well done and a great example of how to do a boss fight in the ME gameplay style.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

MadDogMike posted:

OK, I'm a little irked I can't get Kelly to show up on the Citadel, is there any way to edit either my ME3 or ME2 savegame to include the had dinner with her option you needed to do to get her in ME3? I'd be annoyed at losing play time if I have to go back to my ME2 save but right now I'm a short enough way in it won't really hurt too bad.

I was sad that apparently it took hitting on her/having dinner with her to get her to show up, too. Kelly and I were pals, I just wasn't into her like that! :(

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

LibbyM posted:

Thanks for the response, both you and randombattle.
Can anyone give me a rundown of what does happen here if I was able to do that last persuade?

TIM fights the indoctrination and shoots himself. You and Anderson have a heart-to-heart as he passes away.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
Quick question: Was hosting the summit between the Salarian and Wrex and did all the paragon options, but as I was leaving the room I did the renegade interrupt that basically just amounted to me saying 'reapers bad,' and the Salarian got mega butthurt about it...did I just mess up some assets there?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

VaultAggie posted:

Kai Leng is the lamest villain in the series and an awful attempt by bioware to create someone badass. Punching through his sword was so satisfying and having Thane kick the poo poo out of him was equally satisfying. I still have a hard time comprehending why Anderson warned me about him when I've personally killed spectres, reapers, mechs and more.

Give me Harbinger back so I can kick his rear end again, not this anime dork. :argh:

Don't pin that on Bioware. Blame it on William C. Dietz who wrote Mass Effect: Deception. If only Drew Karpyshyn stuck around...

Edit: Derp, I forgot he Kai Leng was in Retribution, Drew wrote that one and was actually decent though.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 11, 2012

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Nevermind

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

You've got about as much skill as the rest of the aforementioned 500-degree-pizza-making, twice-fermenting, under-kneading, poorly-seasoning, parchment-using yokels.
I'm frequently getting a bug where Shockwave will do nothing at all, flying past enemies without interacting with them in any way. Anyone else got this or have any idea what causes it?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Hilarious. I'm assaulting the Cerberus base and a Nemesis comes out of nowhere and hits me with a sword. I kill it point blank with my Black Widow, and Garrus chimes in with "Just like Cerberus, bring a knife to a gunfight."

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 11, 2012

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Don't pin that on Bioware. Blame it on William C. Dietz who wrote Mass Effect: Deception. If only Drew Karpyshyn stuck around...

Have you read any of Karpyshyn's books? He's seriously one of the worst writers in American history. He's the male Stephanie Meyer. His books are personally insulting to anyone with higher than a seventh-grade reading level.

Karpyshyn's good for poo poo like codex entries and while he's responsible for the overarching story from start to finish, his delivery (without a writing team to sculpt it), is wholly intolerable.

Leng is a lame villain because he's a one-off and it was pointless to include him regardless of his influence or archetype. Being an anime one-off just worsened it.

A Humble Emperor
Dec 30, 2007

With a big big crown!
Kai Leng is goddamn terrible. During the fight on Thessia he didn't even pop my shields once and was constantly hiding to recharge his own. Then suddenly a cutscene starts and he beats my entire squad single handedly and makes off with the Prothean VI? What the gently caress? And again when you're at Tim's base, you beat him and knock him on the floor and everyone just loving turns around like oh no, he couldn't possibly come back to life and try to stab Shepard!

The only thing worse than the ending is Kai Leng.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I was actually expecting pretty-boy assassin guy was going to turn out to be a Shepard clone. I mean, it'd make sense why he gets to be so arrogant, and it was kind of set up what with Cerberus having been the one to revive you, TIM talking Miranda down about brainwashing you and later on when he goes full crazy, making so many remarks about not needing you any more... They even established cloning technology exists when you bring back the krogan horse things for that salarian on the citadel. The sword thing would still be a little weird, but whatever, Cerberus could've trained him weird or something. But nope, he's just a jerk.

Man, I really liked this game but there some really big problems (ninja guy, cerberus, the ending) that I don't understand not being ironed out before the game was released.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Seriously the more I think about it the more I hate Banshees. They are so aggressive with their mini-charge and the moment they get near you you're hosed. That final survive until you can fire the missiles fight was loving torture because I kept backing away and getting smoked by the Reaper's laser. I don't mind Marauders, Brutes, any of the other enemies but gently caress I hate Banshees.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
The ending is purposefully bad so Bioware can release a Fallout 3-esque DLC to get more money than they already did with the day one DLC from diehard fans raging about it.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

The first Kei Leng fight was lame as poo poo. I noticed that his shields were getting stuck on one bar left, and then guessed it would go into a scripted sequence. Then it did. Also I don't think he ever hit me once in either fight. I just kept circle strafing and shooting him until he died. What a good villain bioware.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

A Humble Emperor posted:

And again when you're at Tim's base, you beat him and knock him on the floor and everyone just loving turns around like oh no, he couldn't possibly come back to life and try to stab Shepard!

I think that one's more just no one considering him the least bit threatening, as the renegade interrupt clearly shows to be the case.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Punching his sword and saying "That's for Thane you son of a bitch" was so satisfying.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Slim Killington posted:

Have you read any of Karpyshyn's books? He's seriously one of the worst writers in American history. He's the male Stephanie Meyer. His books are personally insulting to anyone with higher than a seventh-grade reading level.

Karpyshyn's good for poo poo like codex entries and while he's responsible for the overarching story from start to finish, his delivery (without a writing team to sculpt it), is wholly intolerable.

Leng is a lame villain because he's a one-off and it was pointless to include him regardless of his influence or archetype. Being an anime one-off just worsened it.

He's probably not your style and I'm not saying he's the best writer in the world. I enjoyed his books and this is the guy who was the lead writer for the first Mass Effect and co-lead for 2. He moved on to write SWTOR's story line which I can't say is good or not because the game is boring as poo poo.

With all this ending bullshit behind spoilers that I keep hearing about it, I'm almost positive that if he stayed on for 3 there'd be much less bitching.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I didn't think the Banshee's were so bad in the end. But my whole everything was built around fighting Reapers. I was a Biotic with Energy Drain as my crew skill. So I could regularly refill shields off of banshee's that still had their barrier, and I could burn down their armor fast with Warp. On top of that I had Liara (warp), and Garrus (party wide armor peircing ammo). Banshee's went down fast.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also I'm mad that the achievement for him was 'kill an old adversary'
Good job killing off Saren in the first game Bioware, he could have been that old adversary popping up throughout all the games to gently caress you over every single chance he got and you finally track him down at the end.

LibbyM posted:

I didn't think the Banshee's were so bad in the end. But my whole everything was built around fighting Reapers. I was a Biotic with Energy Drain as my crew skill. So I could regularly refill shields off of banshee's that still had their barrier, and I could burn down their armor fast with Warp. On top of that I had Liara (warp), and Garrus (party wide armor peircing ammo). Banshee's went down fast.

I'm a Vanguard usually with just a shotgun. Ouch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Two Finger posted:

Also I'm mad that the achievement for him was 'kill an old adversary'
Good job killing off Saren in the first game Bioware, he could have been that old adversary popping up throughout all the games to gently caress you over every single chance he got and you finally track him down at the end.

Or, y'know, Harbinger. Certainly could have done something with that guy. Not like you killed two Reapers over the course of the game or anything...

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I just finished the Quarian/Geth thing and there's no way to save Legion in the best ending of that mission, is there? I got the "end the war" thing and there is peace between both of them but Legion still "dies".

The first time you meet Kei Leng annoyed me because Shepard is flying a shuttle under all these bridges and then he jumps on your shuttle. The shuttle that is flying right under bridges.

Couldn't you just, like, pull up a bit?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Edit: Derp, I forgot he Kai Leng was in Retribution, Drew wrote that one and was actually decent though.

BioWare weren't forced to include the character in the game.

I'm willing to bet the Mass Effect tie-in books aren't that great either.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Two Finger posted:

Seriously the more I think about it the more I hate Banshees. They are so aggressive with their mini-charge and the moment they get near you you're hosed. That final survive until you can fire the missiles fight was loving torture because I kept backing away and getting smoked by the Reaper's laser. I don't mind Marauders, Brutes, any of the other enemies but gently caress I hate Banshees.

Banshees aren't that bad. I play Vanguard and was dancing in and out of their melee range the whole time. The only time I got instant killed by one was when I didn't know they had an instant kill. You just gotta be careful.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

nap.app posted:

I just finished the Quarian/Geth thing and there's no way to save Legion in the best ending of that mission, is there? I got the "end the war" thing and there is peace between both of them but Legion still "dies".

The first time you meet Kei Leng annoyed me because Shepard is flying a shuttle under all these bridges and then he jumps on your shuttle. The shuttle that is flying right under bridges.

Couldn't you just, like, pull up a bit?

I don't think there is anyway to save Legion, at all. Though I am curious as to what happens if you shipped him off to Cerberus.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

PhantomZero posted:

I don't think there is anyway to save Legion, at all. Though I am curious as to what happens if you shipped him off to Cerberus.

Apparently he shows up as a unique enemy during one of the cerberus missions.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Banshees aren't that bad. I play Vanguard and was dancing in and out of their melee range the whole time. The only time I got instant killed by one was when I didn't know they had an instant kill. You just gotta be careful.

Any challenging encounter in the game isn't that bad if you're a Vanguard. :haw:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Sorry to continue the ending bitching, but the ending would have been so much better served if shepard actually argued with the head reaper. When it talks about the solution to organic life, s/he can basically go 'It doesn't NEED a solution. Look what I've accomplished. Through strength, knowledge, belief, and hope, I've united even the synthetic geth with the organic quarians. If organic life is going to end itself in some way, let it choose it's own fate. Not decided by you, not decided by me, but decided by life itself.'

And of course, a proper epilogue. poo poo, if you need combat, the head reaper refuses to accept that and shepard gives one last desperate struggle against the catalyst from the inside that fatally wounds her, but shuts down the catalyst. With it down, the reapers power down and cease to function once and for all. As shepard bleeds out, s/he gets to see the fighting, the explosions and all the death surrounding earth slow to a stop. S/he gets to see earth taken back before she closes her eyes forever.

Woo that's a lot of black bars. Forgive me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Okay, I've been reading more about the plot to this game to try and understand it and I have a question about the whole geth/quarian conflict.

The wiki says that when the quarians attack the geth, the geth turn to the reapers for aid. Why? Going by what was established in Mass Effect 2, the geth are vastily superior to the quarians when it comes to combat. Their fleet is massive and their tech is way more advanced, and while the quarian fleet is large it mostly consist of old ships and hastily converted habitation vessels. They shouldn't have been able to somehow beat the geth to the point where they have to resort to going to the reapers for aid. Especially not if you let Legion warn the geth about the quarains war plans in ME2.

So what happens to the geth to make they completely ineffective?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Anyone had any luck using the save editor on xbox saves? I'm getting corrupted save issues and even having it freeze on the main menu when I try to mod anything, or even just save a file without changing anything. Using the 31 save edit revision, anyone else have luck with one of the others?

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
The vast majority of the Renegade interrupts were awesome and I did them even on my Paragon Shepard. I don't even remember getting Renegade points for them, but capping Udina, breaking Kai Leng's sword and omni-tooling him to death, and the toast with Vega in Purgatory were all nice touches.

Edit:

Internet Kraken posted:

I think it's because they decided to make their big Dyson sphere that Legion mentioned in ME2. They went to the Perseus Veil to work on it, and then the Quarians went to blow it up. So many of the Geth runtimes were committed there that they took HUGE losses and lost some of their group intelligence.

Mahuum Aqoha fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 11, 2012

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Admiral Xen gets her hands on the data that Tali's dad was working on that allows the Quarians to "permanently" kill geth, like it deletes the processes or prevents them from communicating or something. She mentions this in an email to you at the end of Mass Effect 2, if you didn't turn the data over to you how she found it and it would have been better for you to have given it to her so you could have been friends.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
Is anyone else as annoyed by the Prothean's obnoxious voice as I am? Seriously, who's idea was that?

Also, why are the maps and the journal so lovely? Why would you take out the way that it was in previous games, where it kept record of what you've done in a quest so far, or checkpoints in it at least? And it's so unhelpful it's almost as if it was made that way out of spite.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay, I've been reading more about the plot to this game to try and understand it and I have a question about the whole geth/quarian conflict.

The wiki says that when the quarians attack the geth, the geth turn to the reapers for aid. Why? Going by what was established in Mass Effect 2, the geth are vastily superior to the quarians when it comes to combat. Their fleet is massive and their tech is way more advanced, and while the quarian fleet is large it mostly consist of old ships and hastily converted habitation vessels. They shouldn't have been able to somehow beat the geth to the point where they have to resort to going to the reapers for aid. Especially not if you let Legion warn the geth about the quarains war plans in ME2.

A massive portion of the Geth collective were uploaded into their dyson sphere chilling when the quarians attacked. They lost a significant portion of their population in that initial attack so their overall intelligence was significantly weakened

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Yeah I read books. posted:

Is anyone else as annoyed by the Prothean's obnoxious voice as I am? Seriously, who's idea was that?

I don't know, I thought it was kind of cool. It was a Caribbean/African accent with the turian voice filter put on it.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Ambiguatron posted:

The ending wouldn't be as bad if it gave us some kind of closure on the Krogan, the Quarians/Geth, and the fate of the fleet in the Sol system, since everything we've learned about the galaxy beforehand indicates they're all screwed now, even if you made the hard choices to get the best outcomes for them, and there's nothing to indicate otherwise. Mordin, Legion, and even Thane's sacrifices were all in vain. All of the people you talked to on the Citadel to resolve their conversations? They're all dead. The old lady that was going senile in the embassy? She got turned into goo and that goo got blown up. If you promised your LI you were coming back, welp.

Bitching that a happy ending would be unrealistic or wouldn't fit the theme of sacrifice is stupid, since there was supposed to be multiple endings. I don't think anyone is saying that a happy ending should be the default. I'd be more than happy if, like ME2, being lazy (or even making logical choices, like sending the guy who sneaks around in vents into a vent or picking a war leader guy to lead some war stuff, but without the benefit of understanding the game's hidden mechanics) led to a lackluster result with a lot of casualties and poo poo being hosed up, but if you put in the work to do every side mission and plan everything perfectly you get a better ending. The ending being sad isn't the problem, the ending changing the setting fundamentally isn't the problem, the problem is the lack of a real epilogue to explain what the gently caress just happened, and the lack of any variation in the endings. We went through all of that for a palette swap and apparently random squadmates popping out of the Normandy? That's it, that's the whole ending?

I just can't understand how that came to be, when there was so much attention to detail put into calling back and paying off tiny, irrelevant things from a game that came out five years ago. It's really jarring to go through a really well written and enjoyable game that completely spirals into poo poo in about ten minutes. Even the design choices are poor. Couldn't I just use the dialogue wheel, instead of holding down the W key for five minutes to make my choice? You choose physical actions through the wheel constantly in all three games!

This is an eloquent post that got buried in the thread. I will try to answer.

Concerning the ending, I think it came down to two things: Time and Creativity

Most people do not finish games. It is a sad fact but players who actually finish games are the minority. When Half-Life 2 Ep. 1 cannot break 50% of its player base seeing the final level, it is unsurprising that many developers tend to front-load their efforts. Bioware chose the swiftest means of wrapping up the story(a literal Deus Ex Machina care of the Greeks). Is it disappointing? Yeah. Is it understandable? I suppose.

It does exacerbate another problem: Bioware is awful at making compelling game-play. Remove the story and Mass Effect is a middle-of-the-road cover shooter. Any company that includes the Tower of Hanoi in three consecutive games cannot claim to be innovative or original. Bioware is critically acclaimed because their characters are endearing, not for gameplay. Still for the finale, it is apparent that Bioware sensed that their cast had grown too large

It was too late though. So they took the easiest route possible, they shrunk the squad and removed variables from the end sequence. I hope you recall that most references to earlier games occurred as isolated incidents. This is much easier to implement than forging an ending sequence reliant on 1000 variables.

Example: If Person A died, the answer is simple: replace him with a generic character or simply remove the content. This pattern quickly escalates out of hand if they try to incorporate multiple variables.

Say that Bioware allowed one character to appear for the finale.
Now, what if Liara had died? Replace her with Miranda.

Now, what if she had died? Replace her with Jack.

Now, what if she had died? etc.

Multiply that for dialogue for each companion. Is this a lot of work? Yeah. Would it have been doable? Yeah. Bioware chose to focus their efforts elsewhere and sacrifice variation for the ending.

Now, the second part of your question is where I am just going to have to guess. I cannot fathom an adequate explanation for Bioware loving up the epilogue. There really is no justification for the lack of closure. If I had to guess, I would say they have absolutely no idea what happened to everyone.

Considering the writing at Bioware is done piecemeal, there is an apparent lack of an overriding direction for the setting. Ex. ME2 and Cerberus going from incompetent terrorists to humanity's only hope. I would characterize it as a lack of leadership. So the game lacks an epilogue because they don't want to commit to anything before the inevitable sequel.

Hope this helps.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I read books. posted:

It bothered me that they thought 'hmmm.... ancient, alien. Oh I know, African!' Reminded me a lot of the voice Whitaker? puts on in the Last King of Scotland.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Afro-Caribbean accents are the best kind of accent. You can't deny it.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

Kai Leng is the lamest villain in the series and an awful attempt by bioware to create someone badass.

A thousand times this. Although I think he is one of the lamest and out of place characters in any game I've played. I was desperately hoping Kasumis lame DLC was the only stupid anime poo poo they were going to throw into the ME universe. But holy poo poo, Kai Leng A loving ninja, WITH A SWORD. And he takes down their car, WITH A SWORD. I don't think making a little rival for Shep was an awful idea, though I don't like it much, but Kai Leng was so loving stupid I nearly stopped playing during the Citadel mission when he shows up for the first time.

And the more I think about the ending, the less I like it. Am I missing something or are there numerous, massive holes in it? Did anyone like it? All three choices seem to be the same outcome. Feels like a huge cop out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Admiral Xen came up with some method based on Tali's father's work to confuse all the Geth's sensors with garbage data, making them unable to properly target the Quarian ships. It stopped working when the Geth were upgraded by the Reapers.

• Locked thread