Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay, I've been reading more about the plot to this game to try and understand it and I have a question about the whole geth/quarian conflict.

The wiki says that when the quarians attack the geth, the geth turn to the reapers for aid. Why? Going by what was established in Mass Effect 2, the geth are vastily superior to the quarians when it comes to combat. Their fleet is massive and their tech is way more advanced, and while the quarian fleet is large it mostly consist of old ships and hastily converted habitation vessels. They shouldn't have been able to somehow beat the geth to the point where they have to resort to going to the reapers for aid. Especially not if you let Legion warn the geth about the quarains war plans in ME2.

So what happens to the geth to make they completely ineffective?

I forget the specifics, but there's Dialogue somewhere that one of the Quarians, (Xan i think?) had developed some fancy new weapon that could seriously hamper Geth's abilities to fight. The development of this tech is what launched the new war in the first place)

Edit: Er, there had been quite a few posts since my last refresh. oops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

dkj posted:

And the more I think about the ending, the less I like it. Am I missing something or are there numerous, massive holes in it? Did anyone like it? All three choices seem to be the same outcome. Feels like a huge cop out.

There's a few people that liked it because it very slightly touched on some stuff that got mentions in the previous two games. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as there was some epilogue to most/all of the big choices made throughout the game, and possibly some way to save the mass relays, not necessarily a happy ever after ending but one where the remainder of spacefaring civilization can pick up the pieces and go home

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

dkj posted:

And the more I think about the ending, the less I like it. Am I missing something or are there numerous, massive holes in it? Did anyone like it? All three choices seem to be the same outcome. Feels like a huge cop out.

This thread is full of people who hate it. I have encountered one person who is willing to go so far as to say "Well, it's not that bad," and he is a person of suspect tastes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Dan Didio posted:

He should show up there as Mordin Solus. New additions don't always appear at the bottom, it's worth noting.

The thought of the Normandy Death Board being necessarily constructed like an old-timey train station schedule board amuses me to no end.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I don't know, I thought it was kind of cool. It was a Caribbean/African accent with the turian voice filter put on it.

Well, it's not just that - on top of the accent (I just don't like it, sorry,) he's just a pretty huge dick for no reason. And I understand yeah, you guys were primitive when I was around so I still see you that way, but c'mon man, you don't have to be quite so jaded.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

dkj posted:

Yes, there are gigantic holes in the ending, and it raises far, far more questions than it answers.

I honestly don't think it was THE WORST ENDING EVER as some people would imply, but it had a lot of issues. It provided half-assed closure to one of the story's branches. It ignored the other dozen or so. It also raised more questions.

I seriously would have rather seen a generic fairy-tale ending.

Edit:

Bongo Bill posted:

This thread is full of people who hate it. I have encountered one person who is willing to go so far as to say "Well, it's not that bad," and he is a person of suspect tastes.

I, personally, don't HATE the ending.

I just think that it could have been much better than it was.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Sorry, I avoided the thread until I beat the game.

I was really hoping for a cliched happy ending where you beat back the reapers because you're such a loving badass. Its how the whole series had felt to me.

Its a shame because there were some things I really liked, like expanding on your responsibilities as a Spectre. Never really felt like one in the first two.

EDIT:

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Yes, there are gigantic holes in the ending, and it raises far, far more questions than it answers.

I honestly don't think it was THE WORST ENDING EVER as some people would imply, but it had a lot of issues. It provided half-assed closure to one of the story's branches. It ignored the other dozen or so. It also raised more questions.

I seriously would have rather seen a generic fairy-tale ending.

For some reason when I saw the ending I was wondering if I stopped paying attention or missed something at some earlier point. I'm with you about where I would have liked it to go.

dkj fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 11, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Afro-Caribbean accents are the best kind of accent. You can't deny it.

This is in fact the truth.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
You are intoxicated. This conversation is over.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Ryan-RB posted:

Agreed! This cannot be said enough. You can blot that last 2-5% of the game from your mind and still walk away with a great experience.

I unfortunately said it to someone who was saying they couldn't REPLAY it. But yes.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

"It just doesn't feel like a real ground war when your opponents are taller than guddamn skyscrapers."

"Earth feels just like like home. Guess you'll be needing a new planet too. Don't worry, Tuchanka's got plenty of room.

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 11, 2012

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wrex is angry at me because I destroyed Maelon's cure. :ohdear:

Playing renegade is no fun in this game~

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I decided to stomach watching one of the endings rather than just go by the synopsis I've read online.

Most of what I'd say has already been said by others, but I can't believe nobody thought it would have been better to replace the stupid kid with a representation of harbinger. It would have worked so much better considering how much he goes on about control and the cycle. He was built up as the face of the reapers. Use him instead of some random loving kid Shepard saw die.

BrianWilly posted:

Playing renegade is no fun in this game~

You can wipe out the quarians (well, all of the really dumb ones, which is most of them). That sounds like fun.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 11, 2012

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm enjoying the game so far, but has anyone noticed that the level design is just totally poo poo in some places? Like the moon of Palaven where it is like gosh there are about ten thousand samey grey ledges, time to find the one I am actually supposed to jump up.

And then I got a game-breaking bug where the brutes in that compound didn't spawn and I had to reload my save.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Bioware making people pay to fix there horrible ending would be one of the most scummy things imaginable.

The best thing is other companies have done the exact same thing, but if Bioware did it, it somehow becomes a big issue as if it's never happened before.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
So I did some random sidequest, where the War Asset is Salarians cloning dinosaurs that Krogan used to ride into battle.

I am so heartbroken that in the ending there was no Grunt riding a dinosaur. :(

Edit: Ending theories about Liara's baby output:

Bioware Social Network posted:

Stranded and with no hope of return. Carnal and reproductive desires cannot be suppressed. An attractive Asari that can mate with both males and females of any species.

So what would your factory production list look like?

I'm fair and diplomatic, so I'll have her screw the crewmembers in alphabetical order (first name).

The children and grandchildren can have a go after 60 years.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Story-and-Campaign-Discussion-Spoilers-Allowed/Post-ME3-Lets-plan-Liara039s-mating-schedule-9765578-1.html

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 11, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The best thing is other companies have done the exact same thing, but if Bioware did it, it somehow becomes a big issue as if it's never happened before.

I'd say it is just as much bullshit when any other company does it to. Just becuase it's been done before doesn't mean I have to tolerate it.

EDIT: For the record I'm not trying to call for some protect or something dumb like that over something Bioware might do. In my opinnion it would just be a really scummy thing to do.

VVV I don't remember people getting really upset over that. I don't think that's an entirely fair comparison either, since Broken Steel added more to the game in addition to changing the ending. If Bioware made a DLC that was literally just "here's the decent ending we should have made in the first place", I'd say it was pretty loving bad.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 11, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

People didn't seem too forgiving when Bethesda did it.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Honestly, the ending was so off-putting that I think if they released a dlc retcon ending, I would be okay with the scummy vibes just because having the ending be different would improve my enjoyment of future play throughs someday.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'll say it right now; I would pay $5 to have a non-lovely ending retconned in.

I am only encouraging them to do this with all their future games but for some reason I have gotten all EMOTIONALLY INVESTED in a video game. Oh well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LibbyM posted:

Honestly, the ending was so off-putting that I think if they released a dlc retcon ending, I would be okay with the scummy vibes just because having the ending be different would improve my enjoyment of future play throughs someday.

This. The only thing that is keeping me from going down to Game Stop and selling all 3 of these games out of pure disgust (something I haven't done since I finished Fable 3) about the ending is the fact that maybe they'll let me give them $5-$10 to fix it.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
Why do the video cutscenes look worse than the actual in-game graphics? Seriously, they look like they'd be at home in the original Starcraft...

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Holy poo poo is any one else getting awful framerate issues?

Mine is consistently dropping to the 0-5 FPS rates during The boss fight against Kei Lang, and during most of Thessia.

Its making the single player completely unplayable.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect
Something I totally forgot to mention when I wrote up my thoughts on the game earlier in the thread:

I am so so glad the 'mission accomplished' screen from mass effect 2 is GONE. Good riddance, it was jarring, terrible and made things feel incredible stiff and out of place.

won't miss you, good work mass effect 3!

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I must have missed some conversations with Tali and EDI because the game just ended and I did not unlock their second bonus powers.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's fairly interesting that people's idea of the 'best ending' involves the most renegade outcome possible out of hope of preserving Shepard, at the cost of the geth, EDI, and anything else synthetic. So much for being 'paragon'. If the writers had handled it better, it'd be called a genius piece of meta-commentary about their audience. Of course, they didn't.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Best" is shorthand for "most difficult to attain."

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
In regards to Kai Leng, I remember goofing up and actually having the guy get close without running away to recharge his pansy shield, which ended up initiating a "Press F to not die" sequence like when Husks get at you. Considering that a regular Phantom would just go "NOPE, INSTANT DEATH FOR YOU", I find that a hilarious happenstance. Apparently Kai Leng is legitimately worse at killing people than the brainwashed mooks with slightly worse enhancements.

I've no idea what failing that sequence does though, heck I don't even really remember what happened IN IT. Screw that guy.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

Banjodark posted:

Something I totally forgot to mention when I wrote up my thoughts on the game earlier in the thread:

I am so so glad the 'mission accomplished' screen from mass effect 2 is GONE. Good riddance, it was jarring, terrible and made things feel incredible stiff and out of place.

No, now you just get to walk through a blue force field for 30 seconds every time you get back on the Normandy.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Yeah I read books. posted:

No, now you just get to walk through a blue force field for 30 seconds every time you get back on the Normandy.

I think he was referring more to the "Nice job on the mission Shepherd, here's what you won!" poo poo. Now it's just in the War Prep thing that you can check if you want.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Kai Leng:

When Kai Leng's fighting Thane, it bugged me that Shepard and Co. just stood by and kinda watched. Especially my Renegade Shep not having fifty interrupts to pour on fire. It's not until Thane goes down that Shepard starts shooting.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Even on the slow Xbox 360 [slim], that loading screen takes about 3-7 seconds. If you have a PC I strongly suggest you upgrade something.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Banjodark posted:

Wait, what?! I loved that screen with the Illusive Man and the little theme that played. I hummed it to myself at the end of every mission I finished in the third game.

Man, just thinking about it, and listening to the Suicide Mission theme from the second game has me all pumped again. At the end of that game I felt like a badass, and everything was awesome. What the gently caress happened.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

WAR FOOT posted:

Kai Leng:

When Kai Leng's fighting Thane, it bugged me that Shepard and Co. just stood by and kinda watched. Especially my Renegade Shep not having fifty interrupts to pour on fire. It's not until Thane goes down that Shepard starts shooting.

Mid-game spoiler
The thing that pisses me most off with the Anime Assassin is that he only works/gets the better of Shepard because of plot armour and cutscene stupidity. That's such a bullshit mechanic to make an enemy menancing. If you controlled Shepard you would put a Widow-fired bullet in his then exploding head. You would stasis him, warp-explode him, Incinerate him, freeze him, charge him and put a shotgun shell in him. But no, because it is Cutscene-Shepard you stand there with your dinky default pistol looking on with one of the best Biotics and an excellent sniper (or whoever your squad is - all of them at least Kai Leng's equal) instead of acting.
Habinger and Sovereign were so amazing adversaries because they were believably more powerful than Shepard and his squad in and outside of cutscenes.

It is nearly as lovely a plot device as the "arrest the protagonist by a couple of mooks and take their awesome weapons away for a level".

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 11, 2012

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

How do I get my guy to look like this all the time?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm going to talk about what ME3 did rightest.
It made Shep yell like a madman during charge and nova. He just sounds like he's having a great time bringing out his inner Viking and roaring at the top of his lungs as he smashes through wave after wave of enemies.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

It would make sense as an airlock decontamination loading-screen thing, but putting it in the middle of the ship was so inexplicable (in-universe, I mean) that I expected them to hang a lampshade on it.

Therefore I walked back and forth through it a few times in order to exhaust the plot-relevant dialogue between the two ensigns; I was hoping that they'd eventually ask Shepard to remove his shoes and remind him that medi-gel containers exceeding 100ml are not permitted on board the spacecraft.

No such luck :(

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

incoherent posted:

Hey, it's Alex Shepherd from Silent Hill: Homecoming!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

incoherent posted:

Michael Westen, what the gently caress are you doing in space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

if you think kai leng has super anime competance powers in ME3 he's even worse in the books.

Anderson shoots off both his kneecaps and he's still able to escape a bunch of armed guards when the's given like a 2 minute head start. I know it's my fault for reading the mass effect books but even then I knew this character was total bullshit.

• Locked thread