Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
BeastOfExmoor - you got much closer to Waxwings than I did, but I suspect that may be because I was taking pictures at my local off-leash dog park with my Doberman.

Male Downy Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Female Downy Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Bohemian Waxwing by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Bohemian Waxwing by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Pileated Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Pileated Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Humorously enough, I was smack dab in the middle of one of the Seattle area's biggest off leash dog parks when I shot those photos. No dog with me though. I think it worked to my advantage since they're conditioned to not be scared of the humans or dogs. A doberman style dog actually walked right under the tree while I was shooting and they didn't even flinch.

Nice shots, by the way. I wish I'd been at a good enough angle to get the Pileated's neck. Where are you located?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta. Took those shots in Leduc, which is a little suburb south of the city. The park is really good for shooting birds, 40 acres and half is light forest, there used to be a small lake in the middle about 50 years ago, so when the snow melts in the spring there's a lot of wetland and water fowl hang around (that's when you don't want to have a Doberman around)

The Pileated took me by surprise, I had spent a good 20 minutes chasing the male Downy around, it was always going from tree to tree and always obstructed by branches. I caught the female around the trunk of a tree was happy and headed out of the woods and then all of a sudden, there was the Pileated, only about 10 feet up.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta. Took those shots in Leduc, which is a little suburb south of the city. The park is really good for shooting birds, 40 acres and half is light forest, there used to be a small lake in the middle about 50 years ago, so when the snow melts in the spring there's a lot of wetland and water fowl hang around (that's when you don't want to have a Doberman around)
Any chance you'd mind pointing out that park on google maps for me please? I usually go to the river valley but it's so busy there it's hard to sneak up on a lot of stuff as two seconds later some family with a loud dog will ruin everything.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Any chance you'd mind pointing out that park on google maps for me please? I usually go to the river valley but it's so busy there it's hard to sneak up on a lot of stuff as two seconds later some family with a loud dog will ruin everything.

http://g.co/maps/ubmqm

directions from Edmonton: http://g.co/maps/va3my

The satellite view is a couple years out of date as they've done a lot of construction/expansion on the Black Gold Centre, the dirt road that connects off Black Gold Drive is now paved, you take that past the BGC parking lot to where those 6 vehicles are parked. Also, the multi-use path that's outside the dog park perimeter will take you along the edge of Telford Lake, there's a few hawks that patrol the field in between and tons of birds by the lake, especially in the spring, there's deer there from time to time as well.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

http://g.co/maps/ubmqm

directions from Edmonton: http://g.co/maps/va3my

The satellite view is a couple years out of date as they've done a lot of construction/expansion on the Black Gold Centre, the dirt road that connects off Black Gold Drive is now paved, you take that past the BGC parking lot to where those 6 vehicles are parked. Also, the multi-use path that's outside the dog park perimeter will take you along the edge of Telford Lake, there's a few hawks that patrol the field in between and tons of birds by the lake, especially in the spring, there's deer there from time to time as well.
Thanks! Hopefully those waxwings are still in the area. I've had no luck this year with them.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Some from this afternoon

Canadian Geese by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Black-capped Chickadee by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Common Redpoll by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Male Downy Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Humorously enough, I was smack dab in the middle of one of the Seattle area's biggest off leash dog parks when I shot those photos. No dog with me though. I think it worked to my advantage since they're conditioned to not be scared of the humans or dogs. A doberman style dog actually walked right under the tree while I was shooting and they didn't even flinch.
Marymoor? I've never had great luck in the off-leash area, but then again, I haven't really tried much. Is there a particular time of day you're heading out?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Spent the whole week sick, so since it was unusually warm outside and I was starting to feel better, I decide to just spend some time standing outside looking at the birds. Even saw a robin :toot:

Robin by MrDespair, on Flickr

House Finch by MrDespair, on Flickr

House Finch by MrDespair, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

neckbeard posted:

The Pileated took me by surprise, I had spent a good 20 minutes chasing the male Downy around, it was always going from tree to tree and always obstructed by branches. I caught the female around the trunk of a tree was happy and headed out of the woods and then all of a sudden, there was the Pileated, only about 10 feet up.

Cool. I'm actually probably headed to Edmonton for work towards the end of the month. Not sure if I will have extra time while I'm there, but I'm hoping so. Looks like a surprising amount of the same bird we get in Seattle with a few extras. Redpolls have been wintering here, but have alluded me completely.

Bob Socko posted:

Marymoor? I've never had great luck in the off-leash area, but then again, I haven't really tried much. Is there a particular time of day you're heading out?

Yep. Morning has treated me well, but I've really only walked it twice and the first time was rainy and uneventful. Thursday morning was ideal conditions (clear, sunny, cold) which helped bring a lot out. I follow Michael Hobbs sightings. He walks the park once a week with a group of birders and has been doing so for over 15 years. His lists can be helpful to at least know what's currently being seen and what has historically been present at various times of year.

The offleash area treated me well this week, but the loop trail south of it the goes past the dock into the lake is much more wooded and has been even more productive. I saw Golden and Ruby Crowned Kinglets, Yellow Rumped Warblers, a Marsh Wren and a Downy Woodpecker on my brief walk, although capturing a sharp photo of all of them eluded me. The slough can also be very good for ducks. I had a male Wood Duck sighting, although it was slightly far to photograph.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

A couple of Pine Grosbeaks from this morning, once the sun came out properly they all seemed to disappear :(

Pine Grosbeak by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

neckbeard posted:

Some from this afternoon

Canadian Geese by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Really like the contrast in this one, and that you managed to get the exposure of the snow perfect, keeping it white while retaining detail. Nicely done!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

A couple of Pine Grosbeaks from this morning, once the sun came out properly they all seemed to disappear :(

Nice! I haven't seen these guys around except near Jasper.

I checked out that park in Leduc you pointed me to today. Looks like a great spot! I didn't realise the lake/pond there was so big...in a couple of weeks once the ice clears I'll be out there in my kayak trying to sneak up on waterfoul.

Marvin Meatbat
Mar 2, 2006
This space intentionally left blank
So far I've just been using my 50d/tripod/50mm/remote combo from the comfort of inside my house. The bluejays and cardinals always seem to avoid getting their pictures taken....Might have to consider a nice 400mm lens....

Black-crested Titmouse by MRBWorth, on Flickr

House Finch by MRBWorth, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

The Stink Eye by torgeaux, on Flickr

Showing me his back by torgeaux, on Flickr

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Nice bird, what is it?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Pablo Bluth posted:

Nice bird, what is it?

The very common meadowlark.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Shooting birds is my new favorite thing, thanks thread!

A crow came by trying to start some poo poo, it kept creeping up on the owl, got onto a branch on the same tree as it maybe 8 feet above the owl before it took off and the owl could go back to chillaxing

Barred Owl by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Barred Owl by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Marvin Meatbat posted:

So far I've just been using my 50d/tripod/50mm/remote combo from the comfort of inside my house. The bluejays and cardinals always seem to avoid getting their pictures taken....Might have to consider a nice 400mm lens....

I've never even thought of just leaving my camera on a tripod for a bit next to the bird feeder and using a remote. I guess I know what I'm trying this week.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Not UNIX posted:

I don't know what it is about bald eagles, but I don't think it's possible to take a bad picture of one. Unfortunately, I couldn't avoid the chain link enclosure, but I love its expression.

bald eagle by mustelid, on Flickr

with some post work, this shot could be amazing. use the pen tool and make a mask around the bird and darken the background. That wall is killing it. Love the expression.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Holy crap, we had an actual spring day yesterday. I'm pretty sure that Violet-Green Swallows are the hardest bird in the world to photograph.

Red Crossbill 1 by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Red Crossbill 2 by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Song Sparrow Welcomes Spring by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Male Lesser Scaup by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Male Ring-Necked Duck by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Ring-Necked Ducks by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

We had two days of actual spring, then it snowed yesterday... Went to the park hoping to catch some colourful birds to contrast against the snow covered branches - didn't have any luck, but I did find the owl I saw last week again.

Sad Owl by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Was about to head back home when a bunch of Pine Gosbeaks, including a male, arrived.

Male Pine Gosbeak by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Marvin Meatbat
Mar 2, 2006
This space intentionally left blank
Blue Jay minus all the nice colors.....

Blue Jay by MRBWorth, on Flickr

Moments later a woodpecker showed up and demanded breakfast.

Red-bellied woodpecker by MRBWorth, on Flickr

I need a 400mm lens....

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

All I have to say is gently caress YOU MARSH WRENS and gently caress YOU GOLDEN CROWNED KINGLETS! Killdeer, you rule and it was hard to only post three photos of you.

Killdeer 1 by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Killdeer 2 by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Killdeer 3 by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

American Coot by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Pied-Billed Greeb by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Green-Winged Teals by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Bothell Great Blue Heron by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Edmonton goons. Since there are several of you in this thread, I'll just post it openly. I'll be there on Tuesday and will hopefully find some time for a little bird-watching. I can find very little in the way of information on good places to go. My only real source of info is this thread and Alberta birding listserv which is really heavy on Calgary posts and very light on Edmonton ones. I'd really like to see some owls, but I'm not sure how much of a chance I have. Northern Hawk-Owls would be awesome. A Great Gray would be unimaginably awesome, but I'm not holding out a ton of hope on that. Do any of you have any ideas for places within driving distance that I might try? Also, are there any places that might have moose?

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 26, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Edmonton goons. Since there are several of you in this thread, I'll just post it openly. I'll be there on Tuesday and will hopefully find some time for a little bird-watching. I can find very little in the way of information on good places to go. My only real source of info is this thread and Alberta birding listserv which is really heavy on Calgary posts and very light on Edmonton ones. I'd really like to see some owls, but I'm not sure how much of a chance I have. Northern Hawk-Owls would be awesome. A Great Gray would be unimaginably awesome, but I'm not holding out a ton of hope on that. Do any of you have any ideas for places within driving distance that I might try? Also, are there any places that might have moose?
My usual hunting grounds are in Elk Island park about 20 mins east of Edmonton. Apparently there's around 250 species of birds that either live or fly through there. So far my super stalking skills have got me pictures of about 30 species so I'm not exactly an expert on the subject. Bonus is the bison/elk/moose/deer that are abundant in the park if you're there around sunrise/sunset.

If that's too far for you to travel another nice place to try are the walking trails near snow valley, just off the Whitemud (map). Lots of really human-friendly birds there if you bring some birdseed, and I've come across a moose or two on occasion early in the day.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Edmonton doesn't start to get nice looking for another 5 weeks or so, so prepare for a whole lot of grey.

Hawrelak Park is pretty good for bird sighting, it's right along the river and there's a few bird feeders along the paths/roads. http://g.co/maps/yh95e Also, Beuna Vista/Laurier Park across the river are good as well. There's a bridge at the south end of Hawrelak that connects them. As far as owl spotting goes, there's a Barred Owl in Hawrelak Park, there's a Great Horned Owl nesting pair somewhere in the city, though the guy that has shot it doesn't want to post the location of the nest so it doesn't get disturbed and I don't think I'll have the chance to see the guy in person for over a week. Your best bet for Hawk Owls would be to drive out east to Elk Island National Park and the Cooking Lake region (just south of Elk Island) For birds of prey, take one of the country roads that's west of the highway between Edmonton and the airport and drive around/hope for the best.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Not much else out here right now, so have some more sage-grouse

One female in flight

female_in_flight_full_size on Flickr

Lots of females (we are in the peak of breeding right now)

IMG_3333 - Version 2 on Flickr

A couple of yearling males came over to my blind to practice displaying where they wouldn't get harrassed by the big boys.

IMG_5924 on Flickr

IMG_5925 on Flickr

A couple that might be more critter-questy: an eagle leaving the lek before sunrise, and a prairie falcon having some fun.

sunrise eagle on Flickr

Prairie_Falcon_pestering_50 on Flickr

On a side note- anyone here use the Flickr uploader in Aperture? I have the worst time with it half the time uploading the original version instead of the crop/processed one.

samjack56
Dec 26, 2007
Some crosspost from SaD

I can make a nest! by samjack56, on Flickr

3's a crowd. by samjack56, on Flickr

Nesting time. by samjack56, on Flickr

Sup, bird? by samjack56, on Flickr

Lunch is served. by samjack56, on Flickr

Chatting away. by samjack56, on Flickr

Which do you prefer?

Bird has balls. BW by samjack56, on Flickr

Bird has balls. by samjack56, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

My usual hunting grounds are in Elk Island park about 20 mins east of Edmonton. Apparently there's around 250 species of birds that either live or fly through there. So far my super stalking skills have got me pictures of about 30 species so I'm not exactly an expert on the subject. Bonus is the bison/elk/moose/deer that are abundant in the park if you're there around sunrise/sunset.

If that's too far for you to travel another nice place to try are the walking trails near snow valley, just off the Whitemud (map). Lots of really human-friendly birds there if you bring some birdseed, and I've come across a moose or two on occasion early in the day.

Thanks for the tip. I hit up Elk Island yesterday and while I totally believe they get 250 species at some point, it certainly isn't now. It was like silent spring out there, not so much as a tweet. The one time I did think I heard a bird, I walked into a bunch of trees and discovered it was just a squirrel. Fortunately I spooked a Roughed Grouse out right next to the squirrel so that saved my day. I believe I only had five bird species in the park itself in almost 6 hours. I did see a moose right after sunset though, so that pretty much saved my day.

neckbeard posted:

Edmonton doesn't start to get nice looking for another 5 weeks or so, so prepare for a whole lot of grey.

Hawrelak Park is pretty good for bird sighting, it's right along the river and there's a few bird feeders along the paths/roads. http://g.co/maps/yh95e Also, Beuna Vista/Laurier Park across the river are good as well. There's a bridge at the south end of Hawrelak that connects them. As far as owl spotting goes, there's a Barred Owl in Hawrelak Park, there's a Great Horned Owl nesting pair somewhere in the city, though the guy that has shot it doesn't want to post the location of the nest so it doesn't get disturbed and I don't think I'll have the chance to see the guy in person for over a week. Your best bet for Hawk Owls would be to drive out east to Elk Island National Park and the Cooking Lake region (just south of Elk Island) For birds of prey, take one of the country roads that's west of the highway between Edmonton and the airport and drive around/hope for the best.

Thanks. Hitting up the urban areas this morning before work I think.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Thanks for the tip. I hit up Elk Island yesterday and while I totally believe they get 250 species at some point, it certainly isn't now. It was like silent spring out there, not so much as a tweet. The one time I did think I heard a bird, I walked into a bunch of trees and discovered it was just a squirrel. Fortunately I spooked a Roughed Grouse out right next to the squirrel so that saved my day. I believe I only had five bird species in the park itself in almost 6 hours. I did see a moose right after sunset though, so that pretty much saved my day.
Sorry to hear about your rotten luck there. Once the water opens up I'm sure there will be birds aplenty. Just today I noticed the sky was full of geese, gulls, ducks, and other migrating birds.

I managed to get out for a few hours today:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Oh man that third one is twice as good as your first one.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Sorry to hear about your rotten luck there. Once the water opens up I'm sure there will be birds aplenty. Just today I noticed the sky was full of geese, gulls, ducks, and other migrating birds.

I managed to get out for a few hours today:

I managed to do much better today. Light this morning sucked horribly, but Hawrelak park gave up some birds that I was excited to see. Common Redpoll and Pine Grosbeaks were both 'life' birds for me and White-Breasted Nuthatches aren't found where I live. I chased a report of a guy who saw a Gyrfalcon, Golden Eagle, and Northern Goshawk north east of the city, but came up empty. The great irony of the trip was the Bohemian Waxwings, a bird that is incredibly rare where I live that I managed to get a photo of a few weeks back, were by-far my most sited bird up here. Still a very photogenic bird.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

HookShot posted:

My lack of a birdfeeder makes these photos complete bird photography :effort:

Wet Bird by hookshot88, on Flickr

I dredged this up from way in the past, but I'm guessing this Pine Siskin was a victim of Salmonella poisoning. It has been running rampant where I live this winter killing by the dozens. The below link has a decent description of it. Pine Siskins seem to be the worst hit by it for some reason.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/crossing_paths/

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

theflyingexecutive posted:

Oh man that third one is twice as good as your first one.

:rimshot:

InternetJunky posted:

drat, how close were you? EXIF says 135mm f/2, but that sure is some bokays.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I dredged this up from way in the past, but I'm guessing this Pine Siskin was a victim of Salmonella poisoning. It has been running rampant where I live this winter killing by the dozens. The below link has a decent description of it. Pine Siskins seem to be the worst hit by it for some reason.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/crossing_paths/

Ugh, that sucks, I hope these ones were ok. I didn't notice any lethargy, and there certainly weren't any dead ones, but who knows. They probably won't have gotten much in the way of disease from our bird seed table, since I would wash it daily, but I'm sure we weren't the only place feeding them around here.

fnif
Apr 21, 2007
xDm
These are the only ones that I see although I hear many others from distance.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Probably the last snowy of the season. It had been about a month since the previous one, though, so who knows? It's been such a weird winter here.

SD 095 12 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 095 13 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 095 14 by Execudork, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Went to Banff on the weekend. Didn't really see too much wildlife though, quite a few hawks flying around west of Calgary but was driving at the time. Was checking out the sunny beaches of Canada at Lake Louise and caught this Clark's Nutcracker taking advantage of an unattended picnic table

Clark's Nutcracker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

If anyone's interested, the Peterson iOS app is down to five bucks: http://www.appshopper.com/reference/peterson-birds-of-north-america