Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Mr Gentleman posted:

A first year in my class billed 320+ hours _before_ the end of _February_, but he by far exceeded the norm. I really just wanted to post that number because it's astonishing to me. But I have extremely good hours due to the nature of the cases I'm on and the partners running those cases. At my firm, at least, the % of total worked time that's actually billed time is thankfully pretty high.

Are you saying someone billed 14 hours a day every day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

320 in two months *6 = 1920

If that's an outrageous number, how would anyone ever meet the 2400 hour/yr requirements that some firms have?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
That's 40 billed hours per week. Even assuming a nice non-billable cushion, you're only hitting, what, 60 worked hours per week?

Was this just the amount he billed, or the amount actually charged to clients?

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Mr Gentleman posted:

A first year in my class billed 320+ hours _before_ the end of _February_, but he by far exceeded the norm. I really just wanted to post that number because it's astonishing to me. But I have extremely good hours due to the nature of the cases I'm on and the partners running those cases. At my firm, at least, the % of total worked time that's actually billed time is thankfully pretty high.
Do you mean that he billed more than 320 hours in just Feb, because if so, that's crazy. If you mean that he billed more than 320 hours in January and some of Feb, that's not crazy at all - I hit 320 somewhere in early Feb this year.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Ani posted:

Do you mean that he billed more than 320 hours in just Feb, because if so, that's crazy. If you mean that he billed more than 320 hours in January and some of Feb, that's not crazy at all - I hit 320 somewhere in early Feb this year.

Nope, 320 just in February alone (a few days before the end of February, too)

HiddenReplaced posted:

Are you saying someone billed 14 hours a day every day?

He got totally crushed by two different teams he was on getting hot on work at the same time (and some other unfortunate coincidences)

Mr Gentleman fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 11, 2012

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Not sure if this was posted, and I hesitate to share this because don't go die alone etc., but here's a report saying last summer was up 25% - http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/summer-hiring-year

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

sigmachiev posted:

Not sure if this was posted, and I hesitate to share this because don't go die alone etc., but here's a report saying last summer was up 25% - http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/summer-hiring-year

125% of 33% (what I believe class of 2011 summer rates were compared to the "normal" amount a few years earlier) is still not great.

edit: Wasn't saying you didn't get that, I just wanted to make sure prospectives don't think we're back to normal or anywhere close.

Kalman fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 11, 2012

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Kalman posted:

125% of 33% (what I believe class of 2011 summer rates were compared to the "normal" amount a few years earlier) is still not great.

Ya agreed, for a long time I was assuming it was a little bit better based on anecdotal evidence and now there's at least a stat we can nitpick.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

There has been a little bit of movement in government jobs too. Not much, but certainly more than there was a year ago.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I think legal field will lag behind the economic recovery. It will take time for the corporate litigation to pick back up that runs the engine of a lot of big firms. The market will improve from the deadzone its been in, but I think we've got another couple years until it's business as usual. The glut of unemployed lawyers will take a few years to work its way out for new graduates to have a shot.

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

"It's not just the swearing either. She's got quick fists too."
Are there any LSAT prep program you guys would recommend in particular? I've heard enough to stay away from Kaplan/Princeton Review, and I was looking at PowerScore/Testmasters. Is there any real difference between the two? (Besides the fact that Powerscore has all the books anyway)

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Where are you located?

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

entris posted:

Where are you located?

Manhattan.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Paramour posted:

Are there any LSAT prep program you guys would recommend in particular? I've heard enough to stay away from Kaplan/Princeton Review, and I was looking at PowerScore/Testmasters. Is there any real difference between the two? (Besides the fact that Powerscore has all the books anyway)

Powerscore is the gold standard for LR. In my opinion the reason it's the most effective is because it teaches you very clearly how assumptions work on the LSAT, and once I had my head wrapped around that every LR question opened up. I think it's less necessary for Games and I actually prefer Princeton Review for that, but definitely check out both and see what you're more comfortable with.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

prussian advisor posted:

Does jury sentencing seem to result in lower sentences than judicial sentencing, or are the sentences just wildly different from one another (I'm tentatively assuming the latter?) Is it jury sentencing in all cases, or do the defendants opt for it like in Texas?

I'm not sure, I don't have any experience in a judge/guidelines sentencing jurisdiction. In judge sentencing, a judge is going to have more information, which more often is worse for defendants.
Jury trial and jury sentencing are mandatory unless the prosecutor, defendant and judge all agree to waive.
Juries can be fearful, but judges fear for their next election and also get jaded. For most cases except maybe drug cases, I wouldn't want judge sentencing unless we had sentencing guidelines, and I wouldn't want guidelines from our current legislature.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
PowerScore did wonders for my LG.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Mr Gentleman posted:

Nope, 320 just in February alone (a few days before the end of February, too)
drat.

quote:

He got totally crushed by two different teams he was on getting hot on work at the same time (and some other unfortunate coincidences)
I'm pretty sure my officemate hit 320 in January - he was on some M&A deal that never signed, but was always about to sign. He spent two weeks staying at the office until 4am every day, because the partner and mid-level wanted him to be there just in case.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Ani posted:

drat.
I'm pretty sure my officemate hit 320 in January - he was on some M&A deal that never signed, but was always about to sign. He spent two weeks staying at the office until 4am every day, because the partner and mid-level wanted him to be there just in case.

I'm pretty sure I could hit 320 too if I got to bill time spent in the office twiddling my thumbs.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Ani posted:

drat.

I am always a bit more appreciative of my firm when I read crap like this.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001

commish posted:

I am always a bit more appreciative of my firm when I read crap like this.
It's not a firm thing, it's an individual thing. I work at the same firm, and I've never had anything like that - I don't spend time in the office when I'm not working, except during normal business hours. I also just don't work that much. I think having that happen to you is a combination of bad luck / working with the wrong people, and not having enough of a spine to push back.

gret posted:

I'm pretty sure I could hit 320 too if I got to bill time spent in the office twiddling my thumbs.
Yeah, probably. I don't think anyone thinks of hitting 320 as some accomplishment; it's just bad luck, and for me and people at my firm, it's just sort of like an occupational hazard, like earthquakes would be if we lived in California.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Ani posted:

It's not a firm thing, it's an individual thing. I work at the same firm, and I've never had anything like that - I don't spend time in the office when I'm not working, except during normal business hours. I also just don't work that much. I think having that happen to you is a combination of bad luck / working with the wrong people, and not having enough of a spine to push back.

Yeah, probably. I don't think anyone thinks of hitting 320 as some accomplishment; it's just bad luck, and for me and people at my firm, it's just sort of like an occupational hazard, like earthquakes would be if we lived in California.

What about pressure to do more hours for partnership?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Query: Is this a goal of a lot of people here?

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

sigmachiev posted:

Powerscore is the gold standard for LR. In my opinion the reason it's the most effective is because it teaches you very clearly how assumptions work on the LSAT, and once I had my head wrapped around that every LR question opened up. I think it's less necessary for Games and I actually prefer Princeton Review for that, but definitely check out both and see what you're more comfortable with.

Mmk, my LG are pretty good - my LR needs work. I'll look into PS. Thanks!

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Paramour posted:

Mmk, my LG are pretty good - my LR needs work. I'll look into PS. Thanks!

If pretty good constitutes anything worse than missing 1 keep practicing because that's one section I think anyone can really dominate with enough work.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Depends on the firm, I guess. My firm doesn't have any kind of hours requirements, formal or informal, and I get the sense people don't care that much - this is partly because we don't really bill by the hour for corporate work. My sense is that it would be bad if you were perceived as a shirker, but that's tied more to your satisfactory performance and your availability and responsiveness when necessary, and less to your actual hours billed.

I don't think making partner at my firm or peer firms in New York is realistically possible, so that's not something I (or other first years) seem to worry about, but it's still bad to be perceived as sucky because people won't want to work with you on good deals, and you'll end up doing lots of diligence or something equivalently lovely.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

Query: Is this a goal of a lot of people here?

I don't think so, but I think firms and partners take notice of associates early and tend to focus on the development of those who may be partner material. Even if you don't want to become partner, you shouldn't act like you don't want to.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
I just received an e-mail from one of the more senior alums in the city I work in asking if my firm was looking for first years. Apparently there's an unemployed 3L at Duke looking for a job in the region.

So this is what it's like on the other side of the looking glass...

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
I have 15 days of classes left and 1 month and 8 days until my last exam. Giggity.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
It's been a while since I've asked here: Any UCLA Law goons here?

I need to check your online exam archive for a professor we're borrowing this semester.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/the-u-s-news-law-school-rankings-are-out-2/

US News Top 14 posted:

1. Yale: no change.
2. Stanford: up 1.
3. Harvard: down 1.
4. Columbia: no change.
5. Chicago: no change.
6. NYU: no change.
7. Berkeley: up 2.
7. Penn: no change.
7. UVA: up 2.
10. Michigan: down 3.
11. Duke: no change.
12. Northwestern: no change.
13. Georgetown: up 1.
14. Cornell: down 1.

Other things of note: ASU had the biggest increase, up 14 spots to #26. UW moved up 10 spots to #20. UC Davis was down 6. I didn't see UC Irvine anywhere and thought this was supposed to be the year they debut.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 13, 2012

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Noooo, the school I transferred from moved up like 10 ranks so now it's no longer literally true that I transferred up over 100 ranks (only 99).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

sigmachiev posted:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/the-u-s-news-law-school-rankings-are-out-2/

Other things of note: ASU had the biggest increase, up 14 spots to #26. UW moved up 10 spots to #20. UC Davis was down 6. I didn't see UC Irvine anywhere and thought this was supposed to be the year they debut.

They're unranked, but UCI only opened in what, 2009? I don't think it's possible to even have the employment data necessary to rank them until their class has had enough time to fail to land jobs and/or secure work at Arby's to fudge the numbers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
19, woo.

Higher than GW, which rejected me. Suck it GW.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
yeahhhhhh Georgetown, Hoya Saxa Hoya Saxa!

what a loving joke, all we did was cut down our night program.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

Does jury sentencing seem to result in lower sentences than judicial sentencing, or are the sentences just wildly different from one another (I'm tentatively assuming the latter?)
From this morning's batch of unpublished opinions,

Guy went to trial for possession of meth and possession of paraphernalia. (The meth was residue found in the syringe)
Sentence? Life.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

joat mon posted:

From this morning's batch of unpublished opinions,

Guy went to trial for possession of meth and possession of paraphernalia. (The meth was residue found in the syringe)
Sentence? Life.

Oh come on that's just as bad as a news reporter. Did the guy have priors? What other factors played a role in him getting a life sentence?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Paramour posted:

Pretty much not. If you're taking the class ask around and see what the reputation of the local instructors is, that will be the difference. If you just want books Powerscore.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

entris posted:

Oh come on that's just as bad as a news reporter. Did the guy have priors? What other factors played a role in him getting a life sentence?
Priors for burglary/robbery, escape, A&B on corrections officer and kidnapping bumped his sentence range up from 2-10 to 6-life. A factor in the appeals court not caring may have been the life sentence he got for robbery in a trial a couple months before this trial.
I understand the Supreme Court doesn't care either (see the CA shoplifting/petty theft cases) but life for meth residue just isn't right.
The reporter would probably add that he was a large, scarred, scary black man being tried in a rural county whose african-american population is less than 3% of the total. Although there was a Batson issue, the court deferred without analysis to the conclusion of the trial judge that the strike was without discriminatory intent.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

entris posted:

I don't care if he has several prior murders and rapes, life for meth sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ohhhh I see. The charge for meth possession itself carried a life sentence? How the gently caress? :psyduck:

Sorry, I figured there must be other charges involved or something. (Not a crimlaw guy.)