Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It's not the Normandy. It isn't long enough. The jets at the end are similar, that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Marx posted:

But when Warf shows up it's after an in-atmosphere flyby of the Normandy which wasn't even supposed to be able to happen because the Normandy couldn't go in atmosphere because of its increased size and stuff which is why you have the ugly dropship.

WE HAVE COMPANY!

Hmm. I'll be damned. The plot inconsistency can be waved off (badly) by them persuading Joker and EDI to give them a hand somehow, but that wouldn't change the Normandy's airworthiness.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?
Does weight affect squadmates' cooldown? I'm tempted to get Garrus to ditch his assault rifle and go sniper only if it does

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It has to be said, this game looks and sounds fantastic. I just did the Genophage Cure and the lighting effects are incredible, the sound engine for the fog horns the Reapers use sound amazing with a surround sound system too, nearly blew out my eardrums. Mordin went out like a champ.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Is anyone else not able to connect to the EA servers?

Capt Happhypants
Mar 16, 2009
I can't currently connect to the EA Server and it won't let me play because it can't confirm my DLC... way to go EA.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Flipswitch posted:

Why is the poker table never used, why? Bioware?

It had people at it on my run at least once.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Capt Happhypants posted:

I can't currently connect to the EA Server and it won't let me play because it can't confirm my DLC... way to go EA.

If you're on the PC you can literally change some lines in your Coalesced.bin file and get the DLC for free, hahahaha

Thanks EA for releasing it already on the disk and then charging for it, Sleazy motherfuckers

quote:

Definitive proof that the "From Ashes" DLC character is on the disc:

1. Open Coalesced.bin with this http://wenchy.net/me3-coalesced-utility

2. Search for this:
MemberValidCID=22, MemberAvailablePlotLabel=IsSelectableProthean,

3. Replace with this:
MemberValidCID=, MemberAvailablePlotLabel=,

That's it. Javik the Prothean is now unlocked. "From Ashes" not required.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you're on the PC you can literally change some lines in your Coalesced.bin file and get the DLC for free, hahahaha

Thanks EA for releasing it already on the disk and then charging for it, Sleazy motherfuckers

Except that the mission on Eden Prime and all of his dialog are missing if you do that, so not exactly.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CaptainCarrot posted:

Except that the mission on Eden Prime and all of his dialog are missing if you do that, so not exactly.

There's another way to unlock him, but it requires a cracked exe. All the data is still on the disk. It's still sleazy.

Ryan-RB
Mar 19, 2006

If we knew the will of God, then we'd all be Gods, wouldn't we?

halwain posted:

about the ending.. so after i choose the merge ending i see the normandy flying away and then crashing on an island planet, ashley then leaves the normandy with EDI and joker but how the hell did they get back onto the normandy when they were fighting as part of the hammer??? .

Was Ashley your LI? I saw EDI, Joker, and my recently lasered LI Liara get off the Normandy on the jungle planet.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

GreenBuckanneer posted:

gently caress, I just saw this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRRpGlmtws8

I feel pretty ripped off now for buying the collector's edition.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Brinstar Brew posted:

Does weight affect squadmates' cooldown? I'm tempted to get Garrus to ditch his assault rifle and go sniper only if it does

Squadmates are not allowed to only carry one weapon, they have to have both. Since there is no display about recharge time bonuses for weight I don't think they're effected by it.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So if I didn't meet Miranda on the Citadel before Cerberus' invasion, did I miss my chance? Because she's not where she said she'd be, but the entry is still in my quest log.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Squadmates are not allowed to only carry one weapon, they have to have both. Since there is no display about recharge time bonuses for weight I don't think they're effected by it.

I dunno, Liara seems to have much shorter cooldowns than James, Ashley, or Garrus, all of whom have an assault/sniper rifle.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You have proven that Javik is on the disk, but is the mission that unlocks him? That seems to be what the "From Ashes" DLC does.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lotish posted:

You have proven that Javik is on the disk, but is the mission that unlocks him? That seems to be what the "From Ashes" DLC does.

Using that ini edit just seems to force the character to show up and be used.

You can used a modified exe that enables it along with everything else, such as voice acting, cutscenes, missions, etc.

Google around if you don't believe me.

the exe isn't 500+ mb or anything, which means everything is already on the disk it just has to be "enabled". This seems to be the case with the CE edition, at least.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Just noticed a nice little Mordin related callback in one of Liara's shadow broker files - looks like cerberus took note of Mordin's off-hand comment about optical flashbangs being better than cyanide capsules in teeth.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

CaptainCarrot posted:

I dunno, Liara seems to have much shorter cooldowns than James, Ashley, or Garrus, all of whom have an assault/sniper rifle.
That's since she has lower base cooldowns. Pay attention to the cooldowns on the level up screen.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Marx posted:

But when Warf shows up it's after an in-atmosphere flyby of the Normandy which wasn't even supposed to be able to happen because the Normandy couldn't go in atmosphere because of its increased size and stuff which is why you have the ugly dropship.

The SR2 can easily do atmosphere, it just can't do dropoffs due to its size/logistics involved.
I assume you mean that though.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

GreenBuckanneer posted:

the exe isn't 500+ mb or anything, which means everything is already on the disk it just has to be "enabled". This seems to be the case with the CE edition, at least.

But... you get From Ashes with the collector's edition.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Just noticed a nice little Mordin related callback in one of Liara's shadow broker files - looks like cerberus took note of Mordin's off-hand comment about optical flashbangs being better than cyanide capsules in teeth.

I said, "God drat it, Mordin" out loud when uncovering that little stroy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dan Didio posted:

Arrival is easily the worst of the mission pack DLC's. Go Overlord.

EDIT: Overlord isn't particularly mind-blowing, either, but it's much better than Arrival.

Arrival has one cool feature, which is that you can actually wait for the big countdown clock to reach 0 and lose the game, for whatever possible reason you would want to do that.

Other than that, it's stinky.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Depths posted:

Anyone who is not playing this game without a proper audio system is really missing out because the audio is really good. It's an awesome feeling when a reaper shoots his laser beam and the entire room rumbles.

This is true, it's some of the best audio work I've heard in a game since Battlefield 3.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Loving Life Partner posted:

So if I didn't meet Miranda on the Citadel before Cerberus' invasion, did I miss my chance? Because she's not where she said she'd be, but the entry is still in my quest log.

Go to the spectre office in embassy and use the computer on the left.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lloyd Boner posted:

But... you get From Ashes with the collector's edition.

Oh. I thought all the disks were the same. My bad.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
From what I understand, the standard edition is ~1GB smaller compared to the Collectors Edition

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This is true, it's some of the best audio work I've heard in a game since Battlefield 3.

The problem though is theres a lot of prerendered cutscenes that seem to be mixed horribly, where important dialogue is overshadowed by much louder music, and the Mass Effect Relays are way too loud compared to the rest of the game

VarXX fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 11, 2012

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

VarXX posted:

From what I understand, the standard edition is ~1GB smaller compared to the Collectors Edition

Yeah, and From Ashes itself is several hundred megabytes large.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I have the CE on PS3 and still had to dowload some hugeass file to get From Ashes. I would have preferred it if there was a special disc that had all the poo poo on it because it was a pain in the rear end to wait for it before I could play.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It should. EA DICE, the developers of Battlefield 3, lent a hand to the ME3 developers for the audio.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

VarXX posted:

The problem though is theres a lot of prerendered cutscenes that seem to be mixed horribly,

I think this bothered me the most. The pre-rendered cutscenes were really fuzzy too. They would mix them in with really important scenes and it really made some portions feel weird. I wish they did way with it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Avocados posted:

I think this bothered me the most. The pre-rendered cutscenes were really fuzzy too. They would mix them in with really important scenes and it really made some portions feel weird. I wish they did way with it.

Its not quite as bad as DX:HR, but its equally jarring. I like the magical switch between your correct weapons and the base assault rifle in the cut scenes. I assume they're to cover streaming/loading.

Also, how hard would it really be to have slightly different cutscenes for biotics? You don't even need different VA work, just a couple scripting changes. For example, theres one time (vague for no spoilers) where a pair of asari jump down a floor using the biotic landing thing while you walk around and take the stairs. If you're a biotic why don't you just do that too? You can even have a funny scene where you and Liara/other biotics in squad do the same thing and a nonbiotic teammate rolls their eyes at you for showing off.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A Humble Emperor posted:

Kai Leng is goddamn terrible. During the fight on Thessia he didn't even pop my shields once and was constantly hiding to recharge his own. Then suddenly a cutscene starts and he beats my entire squad single handedly and makes off with the Prothean VI? What the gently caress? And again when you're at Tim's base, you beat him and knock him on the floor and everyone just loving turns around like oh no, he couldn't possibly come back to life and try to stab Shepard!

The only thing worse than the ending is Kai Leng.

Another thing that bugged me about that was EDI is just pacing around looking at the viewscreen, even though she's got a view of everything going around in space from the sensors on the ship. There's literally no reason for her to be staring at a wall when she should be watching for other people trying to enter the room.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

hobbesmaster posted:

Also, how hard would it really be to have slightly different cutscenes for biotics?

Have they ever acknowledged Shep's class in any way in any of the games? I always thought this was a missed opportunity in general -- my Engineer Shep could occasionally have an idea of her own and not depend on Tali / EDI for tech stuff, an Infiltrator Shep could use cloaking in some awesome renegade interrupt... all sorts of stuff. I suppose it would draw even more attention to the cutscene / gameplay divide, though: if infiltrator Shep cloaks once in a cutscene to get the drop on someone, why doesn't she do it all the time?

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Merry Magpie posted:

It should. EA DICE, the developers of Battlefield 3, lent a hand to the ME3 developers for the audio.

Good, I have something to look forward to when I hit 3. I finally played through ME1 and it was great, but the generic Halo gun sounds barely cut it for me, especially after coming from BF3. :dice: has spoiled me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Have they ever acknowledged Shep's class in any way in any of the games? I always thought this was a missed opportunity in general -- my Engineer Shep could occasionally have an idea of her own and not depend on Tali / EDI for tech stuff, an Infiltrator Shep could use cloaking in some awesome renegade interrupt... all sorts of stuff. I suppose it would draw even more attention to the cutscene / gameplay divide, though: if infiltrator Shep cloaks once in a cutscene to get the drop on someone, why doesn't she do it all the time?

Kaidan comments on your biotics in ME1, though the scripting is a little bugged and he sometimes says the biotic line for a nonbiotic and vice versa.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

During Liara's memory box or whatever scene in ME3, she commented that my Shepard was a powerfull biotic as part of her description of me. That's the only time I think I've seen class mentioned though.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Using that ini edit just seems to force the character to show up and be used.

You can used a modified exe that enables it along with everything else, such as voice acting, cutscenes, missions, etc.

Google around if you don't believe me.

So, what would I be downloading if I bought the Prothean pack?

NmareBfly posted:

Are you referring to something like the computer hacking scene in Alpha Protocol?

I can guarantee that class is not referenced in the first two games. I am not entirely certain of the third however.

Merry Magpie fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 11, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Liara knows about the ABCs, saying that Vanguard Shep is a near-invincible charging monster.

e: ^ You would be downloading the files that aren't included in the standard edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

NmareBfly posted:

When Liara was doing her entry about me in her archive she mentions that I'm a "powerful biotic and skilled engineer" or something to that effect.

My character was a Sentinel.

• Locked thread