Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

KingEup posted:

So I've a got a PC and Mac and am about to buy the new iPad.

What's the best way to get a cursor on the iPad?

Jokes aside it is impossible, the iPad has no mouse support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

KingEup posted:

I would like to be able to control all devices from one keyboard and mouse.

Synergy. No cables required, just existing LAN.

KingEup posted:

What's the best way to get a cursor on the iPad?

The other computers' cursors? VNC Viewer.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

kuskus posted:

The other computers' cursors? VNC Viewer.

I want to control the iPad with a cursor from the computer, not control the computer from the iPad. May still be useful though (with resolution of new iPad), thanks.

Juriko posted:

Jokes aside it is impossible, the iPad has no mouse support.

Suddenly not so impossible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MU9lGH3qQc

KingEup fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 9, 2012

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So swapping the thunderbolt > dvi adapters for a thunderbolt > HDMI cable seems to have fixed all my problems with the external monitors randomly flickering. Who knows, now that I've posted this likely they'll do it in spite.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

fleshweasel posted:

That's right. If it works on the external display, it means you'd need to replace the built-in display or just use it as a headless poor's desktop. If it doesn't work, you'll probably need to replace the logic board.

Works fine on an external display. How usable is an old G4 powerbook anwyay, could i donate it to my parents so they don't have to use my pc to sync their ipod? Basically, anything stopping me from using this as a web surfing/music management pc for my folks?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bastards. If the first round of TB devices are somehow incompatible with the next....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/251543/intel_aims_for_faster_thunderbolt_with_pciexpress_30.html

quote:

Intel in the future will support the PCI-Express 3.0 protocol to shuttle data faster between host devices and peripherals, an Intel spokesman said in an email. Computers with Thunderbolt interconnect currently communicate with external devices using the older PCI-Express 2.0 technology.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
It probably wouldn't have any problems being backwards compatible, and it would raise the ability to use external graphics + other devices with no drawbacks. Sounds like a good improvement.

They really need to release some external graphics card adapters more quickly...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

kuskus posted:

Synergy. No cables required, just existing LAN.

Not to derail here, but I could never get the keyboard to work right on my PC. The keyboard/mouse are connected to the Mac, and the when I type on the PC, most of the buttons like the alt and ctrl keys don't work. The documentation and support for synergy is totally lacking and I eventually just gave up.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Not to derail here, but I could never get the keyboard to work right on my PC. The keyboard/mouse are connected to the Mac, and the when I type on the PC, most of the buttons like the alt and ctrl keys don't work. The documentation and support for synergy is totally lacking and I eventually just gave up.

I plain couldn't get it to work.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Bastards. If the first round of TB devices are somehow incompatible with the next....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/251543/intel_aims_for_faster_thunderbolt_with_pciexpress_30.html

Not a big deal, the specification requires devices to be somewhat backwards compatible. It's a good thing the number of lanes in TB is fixed to x4 as well.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

IIRC PCI-Express is forwards compatible to some extent with future revisions, so it should still work fine, just not be able to take advantage of faster speeds (that said, 4x PCI-E 2.0 lanes in Thunderbolt is still more than your storage device is going to be capable of).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Shipon posted:

IIRC PCI-Express is forwards compatible to some extent with future revisions, so it should still work fine, just not be able to take advantage of faster speeds (that said, 4x PCI-E 2.0 lanes in Thunderbolt is still more than your storage device is going to be capable of).

Should be during the link-training process; PCIe 3.0 is 128b/130b vs. 8b/10b for PCIe 2.0 so I imagine the PCIe 3.0 IP on the device will figure out real quick if the host has no idea what the gently caress is going on.

I wonder if that PCIe 3.0 will still be doable over copper though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm upgrading and am going to sell my old iMac. What would be a good price to sell it for? It's the current-gen iMac, only thing different is that I tripled the RAM (to 12GB). The computer is less than a year old, and I still have the box, documentation, etc. I wanted to sell it before Apple updates and the value drops.

Specs:
21.5-inch: 2.5GHz
2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
1920 x 1080 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory [+ 2x4GB = 12GB]
500GB hard drive
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Anyone have any experience with running a TV signal into your Mac?

We're moving in a couple of weeks, and due to space considerations we'd like to have our 2011 iMac do double duty as a second television. Our iMac is going to sit right next to a coaxial outlet, and what I'm considering is the EyeTV 250. Basically I'm wondering anyone can comment on if this is more or less the easist way to do it and if said device is reliable.

The url goes to Amazon.jp because we live in Japan, and it's also the reason something like Hulu isn't a viable alternative. Getting broadcast Japanese television on our Mac is the goal here.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
My father uses the EyeTV Hybrid for television and likes it a lot. I couldn't find that model on amazon.jp though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm upgrading and am going to sell my old iMac. What would be a good price to sell it for? It's the current-gen iMac, only thing different is that I tripled the RAM (to 12GB). The computer is less than a year old, and I still have the box, documentation, etc. I wanted to sell it before Apple updates and the value drops.

Specs:
21.5-inch: 2.5GHz
2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
1920 x 1080 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory [+ 2x4GB = 12GB]
500GB hard drive
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB

I'd say $900 because if you went new you'd be looking at $35 in aftermarket RAM + $999 refurb iMac + tax

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

petewhitley posted:

27" or 21"? And what year? If it's mid-2010 27" or older there are adapters to get HDMI input that you could just connect an external tuner/cable box to.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Star War Sex Butt posted:

27" or 21"? And what year? If it's mid-2010 27" or older there are adapters to get HDMI input that you could just connect an external tuner/cable box to.

27" 2011. Unfortunately we need to connect via coaxial as we want to connect to Japanese basic cable (which delivers via coaxial).

wdarkk posted:

My father uses the EyeTV Hybrid for television and likes it a lot. I couldn't find that model on amazon.jp though.

That's cheaper and simpler for straight viewing than the 250, and surprisingly enough Amazon doesn't restrict international sales on it, so that seems to be the frontrunner. Thanks!

notMordecai
Mar 4, 2007

Gay Boy Suicide Pact?
Sucking Dick For Satan??

I built myself a Windows gaming rig this summer thinking I was going to play all the ~hottest new games~ but work has basically sucked any enthusiasm I have left to sit in front of a computer during my free time. I am seriously considering selling it to purchase an iMac after the next update but I sure hope they do at least one of these things.

• Update the display to a retina
  • Have an SSD as a default (rather than swapping out the optical drive)
  • Make a size between the current 21.5" and 27"

I feel like I am asking too much but I would sell my windows desktop in a heartbeat and use bootcamp if any of these happened.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

petewhitley posted:

I've seen the 250 plus in action, very good. The plus had a built in decoder useful for taking the burden off the mac if your into recording.

I'm looking to get recording onto iTunes with something like the 250 and try to sync that with an Apple TV box.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

notMordecai posted:

None of those things will happen. They used to make 24" model but they got rid of it.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

notMordecai posted:

I feel like I am asking too much....

I think MacBook Air is next up for a revamp with a bigger screen. Then hopefully the iMac follows, I would add USB 3.0 and more ports please to that list.

And what the hell has happened to the Mac Pro? Major rethink required there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The iMac will not get a retina-class display any time soon. Its counterpart Thunderbolt display is too new, and hi dpi panels of that size would be prohibitively expensive. Not to mention needing an extremely beefy GPU to drive it.

Basically all the reasons we didn't have a retina iPad last year.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Star War Sex Butt posted:

The iMac will not get a retina-class display any time soon. Its counterpart Thunderbolt display is too new, and hi dpi panels of that size would be prohibitively expensive.

Agreed, but the laptops might get hidpi screens. I can't wait to see what the new class of batteries and screens will do to the line. Just hoping its this year and not next.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MOAR posted:

I think MacBook Air is next up for a revamp with a bigger screen. Then hopefully the iMac follows, I would add USB 3.0 and more ports please to that list.

And what the hell has happened to the Mac Pro? Major rethink required there.

Intel just came out with Sandy Bridge Xeons like last week. They can't upgrade the Mac Pro if no new CPU's come out. (The E3 Xeons are Sandy Bridge but they aren't available in dual-socket setups.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shmoogy posted:

Agreed, but the laptops might get hidpi screens. I can't wait to see what the new class of batteries and screens will do to the line. Just hoping its this year and not next.

Not sure about that - the hi-res laptop screens (1440x900 @ 13", 1680x1050 @ 15", and 1920x1080 @ 17") are already 130dpi-ish. The desktop displays would be the ones in line for an upgrade.

Although IMO the hi-res screens should be the default resolutions. 1280x800 @ 13"? Get the gently caress out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

petewhitley posted:

and it's also the reason something like Hulu isn't a viable alternative

Check out http://www.unblock-us.com.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Not sure about that - the hi-res laptop screens (1440x900 @ 13", 1680x1050 @ 15", and 1920x1080 @ 17") are already 130dpi-ish. The desktop displays would be the ones in line for an upgrade.
Maybe, but 1440p displays are already ahead of everything other than specialized medical monitors. At least hidpi would help to fight off the hundreds of ultra books coming out.

quote:

Although IMO the hi-res screens should be the default resolutions. 1280x800 @ 13"? Get the gently caress out.

Absolutely agree, they should definitely not keep such low res displays on any of their computers.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Shmoogy posted:

Maybe, but 1440p displays are already ahead of everything other than specialized medical monitors. At least hidpi would help to fight off the hundreds of ultra books coming out.

Absolutely agree, they should definitely not keep such low res displays on any of their computers.

1440p isn't 1440x900. Also sony sells a 13" 1080p laptop.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ppp posted:

1440p isn't 1440x900. Also sony sells a 13" 1080p laptop.

I meant the 27 inch display when he said the desktops would be upgraded before the mobile line.

I know sony has a 1080p 13 inch, and that would be ideal for the new air (for me). I'd like to see 1080p or better across the entire line of laptops.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

petewhitley posted:

27" 2011. Unfortunately we need to connect via coaxial as we want to connect to Japanese basic cable (which delivers via coaxial).

That's cheaper and simpler for straight viewing than the 250, and surprisingly enough Amazon doesn't restrict international sales on it, so that seems to be the frontrunner. Thanks!
Just make sure it's compatible with whatever digital broadcasting thing Japan uses (DVB or something?).

notMordecai
Mar 4, 2007

Gay Boy Suicide Pact?
Sucking Dick For Satan??

Bob Morales posted:

None of those things will happen. They used to make 24" model but they got rid of it.

Reading this made me look at craigslist to see if people were selling their iMacs for whatever reason.

Lo and behold some guys selling the 27" (2.7GHz) model with AppleCare (ends 01/2014), a magic trackpad, and a magic mouse for a flat $1699. Also comes with iWork and Lion.

If my math is correct thats about $400 in savings (counting tax and peripherals) that I was going to purchase anyway come the new update. Is there anything planned other than ivy bridge?

I feel like if I bought this today and sold it I could still get more for it anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

notMordecai posted:

Reading this made me look at craigslist to see if people were selling their iMacs for whatever reason.

Lo and behold some guys selling the 27" (2.7GHz) model with AppleCare (ends 01/2014), a magic trackpad, and a magic mouse for a flat $1699. Also comes with iWork and Lion.

If my math is correct thats about $400 in savings (counting tax and peripherals) that I was going to purchase anyway come the new update. Is there anything planned other than ivy bridge?

I feel like if I bought this today and sold it I could still get more for it anyway.

Nobody even sells Macs in my area on craigslist except G3/G4's for a $300. Any newer Mac they want what they cost new, even if they are 2009 models.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gonna shoot someone if I see that $400 Apple RAM thing on Reddit or Facebook again today.

Every other PC maker does the same loving thing.

$37.99 free shipping from NewEgg

Apple - $200

HP - $198.00

Dell - $260

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
Speaking of RAM, I want to upgrade my Macbook Pro from 4 to 8 gigs. Is there any reason to buy this over this? The second seems to be the same thing only cheaper, but I always feel like I'm missing something when ordering ram.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Smegmalicious posted:

Speaking of RAM, I want to upgrade my Macbook Pro from 4 to 8 gigs. Is there any reason to buy this over this? The second seems to be the same thing only cheaper, but I always feel like I'm missing something when ordering ram.

Crucial is one of the top names. Brand doesn't really matter THAT much, though.

Fat Whale
Feb 20, 2012

O O O O O O O O O O

Bob Morales posted:

I'm confident we'll be seeing at least 2880x1800 on a 15 inch MacBook this year.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Gonna shoot someone if I see that $400 Apple RAM thing on Reddit or Facebook again today.

Every other PC maker does the same loving thing.

You don't need to tell us, and the people who are the type to point out those sorts of things don't care. They will conveniently ignore/downvote it.

Fat Whale
Feb 20, 2012

O O O O O O O O O O
What mouse do you guys use on your desktop Mac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fat Whale posted:

What mouse do you guys use on your desktop Mac?

Logitech MX