Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Who else just got a new desktop wallpaper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Really it's at this point when it's just in her best interest to say "Yeah, I know, you're a necromancer. It's obvious. Let's get with the raising of the dead, I'm eager to learn and good at secrets"

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I never played Oblivion. That burnt, discarded portrait you see in the walkaround: is that supposed to be an "old" version of Sigrid or is it another person entirely?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Snollygoster posted:

I never played Oblivion. That burnt, discarded portrait you see in the walkaround: is that supposed to be an "old" version of Sigrid or is it another person entirely?

That's Archmage Traven, the leader of the Mages' Guild. He's an opponent of Necromancy and had it banned from the Guild. Each of the Mages' guild halls specializes in a particular field of magic. The Kvatch guild hall was never mentioned in the game, but Kazerad's having it focus on Necromancy, which isn't a bad assumption since all the other fields of magic are covered by the other guild halls. Necromancers have no love for Traven.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 11, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Pakled posted:

Snollygoster posted:

That's Archmage Traven, the leader of the Mages' Guild. He's an opponent of Necromancy and had it banned from the Guild. Each of the Mages' guild halls specializes in a particular field of magic. The Kvatch guild hall was never mentioned in the game, but Kazerad's having it focus on Necromancy, which isn't a bad assumption since all the other fields of magic are covered by the other guild halls. Necromancers have no love for Traven.

Traven was also the guy at the Anvil Guild who gave Katia the robes and amulet of silence. Apparently he was just stopping in to visit one of the guild's chapters that day.

Oh, and I think his portrayal as a spaz draws from the fairly common character interpretation that he's an idiot and a horrible leader.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Traven was also the guy at the Anvil Guild who gave Katia the robes and amulet of silence. Apparently he was just stopping in to visit one of the guild's chapters that day.

Oh, and I think his portrayal as a spaz draws from the fairly common character interpretation that he's an idiot and a horrible leader.

Yeah he got replaced by an Orc who only knew only two spells and things were SO much better after that.

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 11, 2012

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I wonder if Sigrid put the deer and flowers around to try to make Necromancy look less horrible. Or just to make it look like there isn't any going on. "Necromancy? What necromancy? We practice FLOWER LOVE MAGIC here."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

idonotlikepeas posted:

I wonder if Sigrid put the deer and flowers around to try to make Necromancy look less horrible. Or just to make it look like there isn't any going on. "Necromancy? What necromancy? We practice FLOWER LOVE MAGIC here."

I get the impression that she wants to elevate Alchemy to be considered one of the major schools of magic.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

where does kazerad get the input for the updates? I get the feeling he's putting out one panel at a time somewhere and just putting up a batch for the RSS feed

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
He gets commands from an MSPA Forum thread.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah he got replaced by an Orc who only knew only two spells and things were SO much better after that.

You probably wouldn't make things too much worse, since the PC is a decidedly hands-off Archmage, like he/she is with all the organizations he/she is in charge of.

You'd probably be very popular with the faculty, since you don't butt into their teaching (not that they EVER have time to talk to you, even when you're their loving boss), and only ever stop by the university to sleep in your room, or occasionally pick up a dew-eyed freshman to follow you around and die in a cave somewhere.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pakled posted:

I get the impression that she wants to elevate Alchemy to be considered one of the major schools of magic.
I get the impression that buying cheap food and turning it into potions and selling them is a really good way to make money in Oblivion and she needs to make money somehow.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

quote:

Note, this would be pre Oblivion crisis, and pre Kvatch, so at this time, Traven isn't the Archmage, just the leader of the Anvil Mages Guild.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I wouldn't call bragging about the ease of killing someone at the dinnertable "irritating".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know, in real life I'd take it as a sign that the speaker needs to make themself sound dangerous and tough. Sort of a "yeah, sure, you're a real badass," moment.

Then again if I found a few bones and bloodstains scattered around their house I might take them at their word.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

An update has occurred, for those that might be wondering what that's about.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Sigrid outright admitted to have dabbled in necromancy. So, does she still dabble in it?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Somebody's been practicing his frame-by-frame animating, I see. Some smooth gifs in this update.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kgummy posted:

Sigrid outright admitted to have dabbled in necromancy. So, does she still dabble in it?

I think up to shortly before the game starts, necromancy has been legal, as long as you weren't a dick about it. But recently the Archmage of the Guild banned it, because dickery and spoilers. But there's probably still a bunch of mages who can raise a skeleton if they wanted to.

I could be wrong.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

RandomFerret posted:

Somebody's been practicing his frame-by-frame animating, I see. Some smooth gifs in this update.

I especially like the 'breathe-in-breathe-out' one. Strangely realistic, yet not uncanny-valley.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Yay, new prequel. Its a shame Kharazad isnt some wierd photoshop plugin making shutin like Hussie because I could definitely go for 4-10 updates a day.

Imagine if Toady One and Hussie had a baby, and Kharazad was the godfather who imparted oblivion lore. Hed make the best webcomic with the most wierdly focused devotion ever.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Meme Emulator posted:

Yay, new prequel. Its a shame Kharazad isnt some wierd photoshop plugin making shutin like Hussie because I could definitely go for 4-10 updates a day.

I'd disagree with that. One of the reasons I stopped reading Homestuck (aside from the nigh incomprehensible plot) is that it updates so much that I just found it impossible to keep up.

I'd take one great page over 12 pages that are either kinda boring or I have no idea whats happening in them.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Oh, I think I finally got why all the wizards have their hands up. It's cuz they're in the casting position right?

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Mazerunner posted:

Oh, I think I finally got why all the wizards have their hands up. It's cuz they're in the casting position right?

No, it's because wizards are strange.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Imagine if Toady One and Hussie had a baby, and Kharazad was the godfather who imparted oblivion lore. Hed make the best webcomic with the most wierdly focused devotion ever.

This is an Internet Comic. It is encrusted with obscure references. The object is adorned with hanging rings of suggestions and fiat. It menaces with spikes of Flash. All craftsgeekship is of the highest quality.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can't wait for the stupid cat to get locked in the basement forever so the story focuses on interesting characters for a change.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Normal Adult Human posted:

Can't wait for the stupid cat to get locked in the basement forever so the story focuses on interesting characters for a change.

You make me sad. :saddowns:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Okay, so a friend recommended this comic to me after a discussion about webcomics that aren't awful, describing it as a neato partially-animated comic with endearing art.

I read on until the protagonist wakes up naked after a night of drunken sex, then closed the window and berated my friend for linking me "someone's terrible Oblivion-based furry fan-comic."

And now, weeks later, another friend brought up Prequel, and after I told him about my sub-par experience and subsequent irrational hatred with the comic, insisted that I give the comic another try; "the story actually picks up and gets a lot better real fast," he said.

So I've read past where I last left off, watched Katia wander through some ruins, get robbed, get naked a second time, meander around the Mage's Guild, have more sad and tragic things happen to her and then couldn't go on any further. Am I missing something? It might be the fact that I'm already burnt-out on Homestuck and its style of storytelling, the Elder Scrolls background, or my completely-unfounded contempt towards animal people in any fantasy setting, but something about Prequel just rubs me the wrong way and ends up either boring me to tears with the narration or filling me with loathing whenever I'm supposed to feel bad for Katia. (I will say the little musical interlude was a nice touch, though)

Does the comic make any significant twists past where I left off, or should I deem this a lost cause? It seems like a lot of people enjoy Prequel, it honestly has some nice production values for what's essentially a fan-comic, and I gotta read what all the cool, hip kids are into, but so far the comic just leaves me feeling really "meh" trying to get through the pages, while at the same time giving me this unmistakable feeling that I'm just missing something and as a result not giving this thing the credit it deserves.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

ChickenHeart posted:

Okay, so a friend recommended this comic to me after a discussion about webcomics that aren't awful, describing it as a neato partially-animated comic with endearing art.

I read on until the protagonist wakes up naked after a night of drunken sex, then closed the window and berated my friend for linking me "someone's terrible Oblivion-based furry fan-comic."

And now, weeks later, another friend brought up Prequel, and after I told him about my sub-par experience and subsequent irrational hatred with the comic, insisted that I give the comic another try; "the story actually picks up and gets a lot better real fast," he said.

So I've read past where I last left off, watched Katia wander through some ruins, get robbed, get naked a second time, meander around the Mage's Guild, have more sad and tragic things happen to her and then couldn't go on any further. Am I missing something? It might be the fact that I'm already burnt-out on Homestuck and its style of storytelling, the Elder Scrolls background, or my completely-unfounded contempt towards animal people in any fantasy setting, but something about Prequel just rubs me the wrong way and ends up either boring me to tears with the narration or filling me with loathing whenever I'm supposed to feel bad for Katia. (I will say the little musical interlude was a nice touch, though)

Does the comic make any significant twists past where I left off, or should I deem this a lost cause? It seems like a lot of people enjoy Prequel, it honestly has some nice production values for what's essentially a fan-comic, and I gotta read what all the cool, hip kids are into, but so far the comic just leaves me feeling really "meh" trying to get through the pages, while at the same time giving me this unmistakable feeling that I'm just missing something and as a result not giving this thing the credit it deserves.

It's not for everyone, yeah. But I would at least try to read up to the latest update before passing judgement. Katia starts to get a second wind and her hanging out with Asotil is awesome.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ChickenHeart posted:

If you didn't find anything up to now funny then you're probably not going to enjoy the rest of the comic! Shame, though, I think it's pretty good.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

ChickenHeart posted:

It might be the fact that I'm already burnt-out on Homestuck and its style of storytelling, the Elder Scrolls background, or my completely-unfounded contempt towards animal people in any fantasy setting...
Well, if you're against all of those things, then yeah, Prequel probably isn't the comic for you.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

ChickenHeart posted:

It might be the fact that I'm already burnt-out on Homestuck and its style of storytelling, the Elder Scrolls background, or my completely-unfounded contempt towards animal people in any fantasy setting

That is everything that the comic is so I'm not sure why you're confused about not liking it? Different people like different things??

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just started reading Prequel, and really liked Homestuck(Except I kept getting confused about what the gently caress was going on), and really liked Oblivion/Skyrim, so Prequel seems pretty cool. Especially since I always played a Khajit because Nighteye rules.

But why does Katia have everything constantly go wrong and dick her over so far?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

rotinaj posted:

But why does Katia have everything constantly go wrong and dick her over so far?
Because we readers are, fundamentally, dicks. :v:
Also the set-up of the story is: she has a pretty hosed-up past and while she's running away from her previous life to make a new one, she still has some problems that will take a long time to solve (if ever), which leads to a very low self-esteem, thus making her more likely to take stupid decisions and screw up immensely.
Keep in mind that one of the inspirations was another MSPA-inspired comic that is supposedly pretty hosed up and waaaaaay more depressing that this has ever been. (I can't remember the name, nor have read it yet)

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Who wants to bet her fruit drink has accidentally fermented. That's all I could think of when told the ingredients and her drinking it.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

radintorov posted:

Keep in mind that one of the inspirations was another MSPA-inspired comic that is supposedly pretty hosed up and waaaaaay more depressing that this has ever been. (I can't remember the name, nor have read it yet)

Ruby quest had nothing to do with mspa.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I'm not sure radintorov is actually referring to Ruby Quest, but the author said that it was heavily influenced by Problem Sleuth, at least in the way readers submitting suggestions in a text adventure format.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Also Ruby Quest wasn't hosed up in the sense that the main character continuously gets hosed over by circumstance. Also you should read it it's really good.

Pakled posted:

I'm not sure radintorov is actually referring to Ruby Quest, but the author said that it was heavily influenced by Problem Sleuth, at least in the way readers submitting suggestions in a text adventure format.

But Problem Sleuth was never depressing or hosed up in that sense.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I don't remember which one it was: it's pretty late and while I did a quick check in the thread before posting, I didn't find it and I'm just going to bed. But I'm pretty sure that it was cited somewhere in here. Sorry I can't be of more help. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

radintorov posted:

Because we readers are, fundamentally, dicks. :v:
Also the set-up of the story is: she has a pretty hosed-up past and while she's running away from her previous life to make a new one, she still has some problems that will take a long time to solve (if ever), which leads to a very low self-esteem, thus making her more likely to take stupid decisions and screw up immensely.

That... doesn't answer my question. After reading the whole comic, the author has been making a personal choice to loving kick Katia in the teeth as much as possible. He/she doesn't have to highlight the comments that gently caress Katia over, he/she doesn't have to choose to have her keep getting drunk and gently caress some random guy and feel horrible, he/she doesn't have to keep having her call herself a stupid drunken Khajit slut, he/she doesn't have to make her continually fail at anything and everything she tries to do.

Has the author stated why he/she's making Prequel such a dickish, sad, mean story? I mean, it's an engrossing story so far, but mostly because I'd really like something, anything good to happen to the poor girl.

• Locked thread