Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Another thing that bugged me about that was EDI is just pacing around looking at the viewscreen, even though she's got a view of everything going around in space from the sensors on the ship. There's literally no reason for her to be staring at a wall when she should be watching for other people trying to enter the room.

It kind of makes sense. A) She's exploring her developing "humanity" or something or B) The eyes of her 'platform' are just another useful sensor suite to gather data on the battle.

I think my favorite part of the game is the banter between party members on the ship. They're not just sitting around, waiting for Shepard to slum with them. I only just thought of that because of EDI's and Legion's exchange: Her platform is "top-heavy and inefficient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

It kind of makes sense. A) She's exploring her developing "humanity" or something or B) The eyes of her 'platform' are just another useful sensor suite to gather data on the battle.

I think my favorite part of the game is the banter between party members on the ship. They're not just sitting around, waiting for Shepard to slum with them. I only just thought of that because of EDI's and Legion's exchange: Her platform is "top-heavy and inefficient

I caught Garrus and Tali making out in the cannon room. That amused me.

TheJanitor
Apr 17, 2007
Ask me about being the strongest janitor since Roger Wilco
Just finished playing as an adept on insanity and it was the hardest game I have ever played (I must be terrible at it).

For the first half of the game if I was out of position for more than a few seconds or accidently vaulted over the wrong wall (which happened all the drat time) I would be instantly killed. Some battles I must have died 20+ times. Some were so impossible I had to restart the level entirely to change weapons / squad load out to directly counter that fight.

The final fight against Kai Leng was insane, it only took me about 10 tries but christ it had me on edge. I had to pause the game every few seconds and explicitly plan where exactly I was going to go, who to shoot etc.

Talking about Kai Leng did anyone utterly hate how in the first fight against him it lets you beat him, snatches control away from you and then makes you lose? I understand that it was done for the plot but I would have felt much better if they made the player themselves lose and not do it in some cutscene.

Also I would very much like to see an adept on insanity complete the final scene with shepard limping towards the beam, I don't understand how it is possible unless I have missed something. It takes the marauder 3 shots to kill you, you have no cover, it is fully shielded and all you have is a tiny pistol. I had to lower the difficulty for the first time after trying that last scene a ridiculous number of times.

All in all, the combat in this game I felt was amazing, very tactical, flanking works great and it had very well designed levels. Just wish I turned off the game 5 minutes before the end and made up my own ending.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Quarian question: Did punching the admiral keep me from getting to save the Quarians? I gave Legion the go ahead to upgrade the geth and the Quarians wouldn't stop attacking them. Tali tried telling them to stop but they didn't listen. I hear that I was supposed to get a persuade option on the matter but that never came up.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Anonononomous posted:

Quarian question: Did punching the admiral keep me from getting to save the Quarians? I gave Legion the go ahead to upgrade the geth and the Quarians wouldn't stop attacking them. Tali tried telling them to stop but they didn't listen. I hear that I was supposed to get a persuade option on the matter but that never came up.

Did you do everything you could to bring about peace in ME2, and did you complete the other Rannoch missions and save the civilian Admiral?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Why the hell has my Vanguards Charge started taking ages to use again and again?

I have the 100% shield boost skill tree option but it seems like I still have to wait ages between charges?

Im positive it wasnt like this at the start..

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Anonononomous posted:

Nah, I did this was still still able to save both races

Edit: ^^ Your weapons are too heavy probably.

Bamf
Jul 20, 2000

Anybody got any tips on how to beat the last part on Insanity? Namely: the part where you're limping to the portal and there are husks and marauders attacking you?

The stupid camera is bobbing and your aim is all wobbly. I get to the Marauder and I unload as fast as I can on him but it seems literally impossible to kill him in time.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Anonononomous posted:

Punching the admiral doesn't matter, and I suggest you do it every time because he deserves it.

You have to complete both missions on Rannoch before going to do the one with the Reaper, and you had to save the admiral (I think that's his rank), and not his men. Otherwise it's impossible to make the scene play out right for peace. You might also have to make certain choices in ME2, I'm not sure.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Veg posted:

Why the hell has my Vanguards Charge started taking ages to use again and again?

I have the 100% shield boost skill tree option but it seems like I still have to wait ages between charges?

Don't want to state the obvious, but you know the cooldown is based on the weight of your weapons right?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Veg posted:

Are you using Fortification / Defense Matrix? They both slow down skill recharge (I think? The wording is unclear.) Or weight, as people said.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

Veg posted:

Did you accidentally pick up a weapon? I did that at one point, accidentally hit the auto equip when I picked up a new one and it was a sniper rifle. Went from crazy crack vanguard to silly slow retard.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

While we're on the Geth, what happens if Legion is already dead? It made me sad that my spacebro died giving his people intelligence and I can't picture the scene working without him.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

lwoodio posted:

Don't want to state the obvious, but you know the cooldown is based on the weight of your weapons right?

I had no idea :0

Serves me right for carrying a weapon in each slot -_-

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

So late to the party on this one, but the difference in how the combat in ME3 feels compared to the combat in previous games is astounding. Holy poo poo this is fun. I've done two 100% runs of ME1 and ME2 to get to this point so I could import (lost my save along the way so had to redo everything :argh:) and I played them both as a soldier. Which loving sucked, shooting the same bullet sponge enemies with the same kind of weapons in the same ways, and nothing to really shake up the gameplay at all.

I now understand that Soldier, while very survivable, is an incredibly boring class choice because after switching to Vanguard, the pace of combat is insane and hilariously fun. Have to move so quickly from enemy to enemy to stay alive and killing but it's way, waaaay more fun than "find cover, pop out of cover with Adrenaline Rush to kill enemies, rinse, repeat."

Apart from that failure on my part to explore the various other class options out of some stupid desire to have the "real" Shep (ugh), I am extremely impressed by the feel of the game. Pace in general seems to be outrageously better in ME3, like, god drat, Bioware actually figured out how to make a damned good third-person shooter at last. They finally got that part right, it's not just stringing together samey combat segments to get to story elements of varying quality. Combat is fun as hell.

I am incredibly disconcerted by all the talk about how the ending sucks (I haven't been spoiled on details, just seeing everyone talking about the ending and then a big block of spoiler text), but this might be a game where I forgive a totally lovely ending just because the gameplay itself is awesome. If someone could help me out, I don't have time for and don't plan to play multiplayer - is it safe to use cheating to make war readiness better across the board to get the best possible ending provided I don't derp my way across the galaxy otherwise?

It's a shame they couldn't do-over Mass Effect 1 and 2 with this gameplay and pace. I guess I won't know just how bad the ending is until I get there, but so far, apart from the series' steep decline from initial attempted neato sci-fi world-building to ME2/ME3 old sci-fi pulp quality writing, it's a blasto. Err, blast. Huge breath of fresh air after the dramatically slower and less refined play of the previous games in the series. Hope the apparently sour note of the ending isn't too sour.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Draynar posted:

I caught Garrus and Tali making out in the cannon room. That amused me.

I kept waiting to see if there was an option to tell Vega and Cortez to gently caress it out, because drat.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a clear point where interacting with James as Femshep becomes a romance? I don't want to betray Kaidan and I'm getting horrible Jacob-esque feelings from early dialogue... :saddowns:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bamf posted:

Anybody got any tips on how to beat the last part on Insanity? Namely: the part where you're limping to the portal and there are husks and marauders attacking you?

The stupid camera is bobbing and your aim is all wobbly. I get to the Marauder and I unload as fast as I can on him but it seems literally impossible to kill him in time.

Have you tried using a heavier pistol? I had a fully upgraded M-6 Carnifex, the first hit (to the head, I think) stunned the Marauder long enough to kill him with about 4 follow-up shots. That was on Veteran though.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Flipswitch posted:

It has to be said, this game looks and sounds fantastic. I just did the Genophage Cure and the lighting effects are incredible, the sound engine for the fog horns the Reapers use sound amazing with a surround sound system too, nearly blew out my eardrums. Mordin went out like a champ.

Video here uses UDK and Wwise examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRAOokauNl4
ME2 & ME3 both use Wwise for sound processing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there a clear point where interacting with James as Femshep becomes a romance? I don't want to betray Kaidan and I'm getting horrible Jacob-esque feelings from early dialogue... :saddowns:

I don't know. My shep kept teasing him about the flirting, but I didn't talk to him much after he got his tattoo.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Have you tried using a heavier pistol? I had a fully upgraded M-6 Carnifex, the first hit (to the head, I think) stunned the Marauder long enough to kill him with about 4 follow-up shots. That was on Veteran though.

Does it let you keep your pistol, though? I had a Scorpion and for that sequence Shep picked a Carnifex off the ground.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Schubalts posted:

I don't know. My shep kept teasing him about the flirting, but I didn't talk to him much after he got his tattoo.

Yeah, this is what happened me with me. He's calling me Lola now and there's no picture of Kaidan in my room and I'm not sure if that's normal so I'm freaking out and and and and and and :saddowns:

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Agreed posted:

So late to the party on this one, but the difference in how the combat in ME3 feels compared to the combat in previous games is astounding. Holy poo poo this is fun. I've done two 100% runs of ME1 and ME2 to get to this point so I could import (lost my save along the way so had to redo everything :argh:) and I played them both as a soldier. Which loving sucked, shooting the same bullet sponge enemies with the same kind of weapons in the same ways, and nothing to really shake up the gameplay at all.

I now understand that Soldier, while very survivable, is an incredibly boring class choice because after switching to Vanguard, the pace of combat is insane and hilariously fun. Have to move so quickly from enemy to enemy to stay alive and killing but it's way, waaaay more fun than "find cover, pop out of cover with Adrenaline Rush to kill enemies, rinse, repeat."

Apart from that failure on my part to explore the various other class options out of some stupid desire to have the "real" Shep (ugh), I am extremely impressed by the feel of the game. Pace in general seems to be outrageously better in ME3, like, god drat, Bioware actually figured out how to make a damned good third-person shooter at last. They finally got that part right, it's not just stringing together samey combat segments to get to story elements of varying quality. Combat is fun as hell.

I am incredibly disconcerted by all the talk about how the ending sucks (I haven't been spoiled on details, just seeing everyone talking about the ending and then a big block of spoiler text), but this might be a game where I forgive a totally lovely ending just because the gameplay itself is awesome. If someone could help me out, I don't have time for and don't plan to play multiplayer - is it safe to use cheating to make war readiness better across the board to get the best possible ending provided I don't derp my way across the galaxy otherwise?

It's a shame they couldn't do-over Mass Effect 1 and 2 with this gameplay and pace. I guess I won't know just how bad the ending is until I get there, but so far, apart from the series' steep decline from initial attempted neato sci-fi world-building to ME2/ME3 old sci-fi pulp quality writing, it's a blasto. Err, blast. Huge breath of fresh air after the dramatically slower and less refined play of the previous games in the series. Hope the apparently sour note of the ending isn't too sour.

Yeah, you can cheat in singleplayer and not have a problem, the "best" ending is still pretty unsatisfying though. On my second run i'm fully intending to quit the game at the point where it suddenly turns poo poo and imagine my own ending. It's that disappointing.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Vega is gay :ssh: You can't romance him.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Did you do everything you could to bring about peace in ME2, and did you complete the other Rannoch missions and save the civilian Admiral?

I did both missions on Rannoch and I saved the civilian fleet admiral. I don't remember what I did in 2 except that I did not kill the geth. It's my paragon guy, so I probably did whatever the paragon stuff was at Tali's trial.

Oh, and how do you upgrade a gun to 10? Once I get them up to five there stop being options at the upgrade store.

Anonononomous fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 11, 2012

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Creepy Goat posted:

:psyboom:

Well alright then. My gaydar's busted, thanks for that. :haw:

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Bamf posted:

Stand still and aim for the head. Walking throws your aim off and lowers damage.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Creepy Goat posted:

He's unromanceable by either gender as far as I know.
Just a terrible, terrible tease.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Yeah, you can cheat in singleplayer and not have a problem, the "best" ending is still pretty unsatisfying though. On my second run i'm fully intending to quit the game at the point where it suddenly turns poo poo and imagine my own ending. It's that disappointing.

The Crucible is actually Nothing more than a broadcast antenna for the Catalyst - a portion of the code within the Citadel's systems that acts as a 'kill switch' for the Reapers. Upon activation, the signal propagates through the Mass Relay network, travelling at light speed to cause all Reaper technology to simply cease functioning irrevocably. They all just suddenly collapse as the united forces of the Galaxy celebrate their ultimate victory. Shepard radios Normandy and is picked up to either continue the fight with the Reapers who have not yet received the signal or live out his/her life in the universe you shaped.

Taking control of the Reapers is now the Renegade option, and Shepard's body is overloaded in the process and dies. The new 'control signal' propagates as above and the Reapers retreat to head for the nearest black hole. If Miranda is still around, and she was on good terms with Shepard throughout both games, she pops up to tease the possibility of the Lazarus Project.

Sure, my ideas might not be much better than Bioware, but drat, at least they'd have different cutscenes

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Anonononomous posted:

I did both missions on Rannoch and I saved the civilian fleet admiral. I don't remember what I did in 2 except that I did not kill the geth. It's my paragon guy, so I probably did whatever the paragon stuff was at Tali's trial.

Oh, and how do you upgrade a gun to 10? Once I get them up to five there stop being options at the upgrade store.

I don't know, then. It should be an option to get the fleet to stand down after Legion starts uploading.

The max is +5 on your first run, New Game+ lets you get +7. +10 might just be for multiplayer.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Lloyd Boner posted:

Any challenging encounter in the game isn't that bad if you're a Vanguard. :haw:

I really need to start my Vanguard playthrough.

What skills should I max first? Is there a particular MUST HAVE that isn't obvious?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So is this game any fun, or did bioware poo poo the bed again like DA2? I haven't kept up on any of the hype or reviews.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

NmareBfly posted:

Have they ever acknowledged Shep's class in any way in any of the games? I always thought this was a missed opportunity in general -- my Engineer Shep could occasionally have an idea of her own and not depend on Tali / EDI for tech stuff, an Infiltrator Shep could use cloaking in some awesome renegade interrupt... all sorts of stuff. I suppose it would draw even more attention to the cutscene / gameplay divide, though: if infiltrator Shep cloaks once in a cutscene to get the drop on someone, why doesn't she do it all the time?

It gets mentioned at various times throughout ME3. I don't remember a lot of specifics, I just remember Liara mentioning that my character was a biotic and such, Kaidan mentioned it in the hospital. There might've been a few other times.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

User0015 posted:

What skills should I max first? Is there a particular MUST HAVE that isn't obvious?

There's a must don't have, namely don't carry much weight.

Lyer posted:

So is this game any fun, or did bioware poo poo the bed again like DA2? I haven't kept up on any of the hype or reviews.

The game is awesome, the ending is unbelievably bad. Play it.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

User0015 posted:

Charge and Nova, add Fitness and sprinkle on Incendiary Ammo and Assault Mastery to taste.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Creepy Goat posted:

Wat. No he's not.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Lyer posted:

The game itself is fun and well done, the endings are bad.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Lyer posted:

The game is really fun. Seriously. It's amazing. 99% of the game is just mind blowing and I can barely rave enough about how much it blew my mind and blew my expectations out of the water.

What you're hearing is just a lot of moaning about the literal last few minutes of the game.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Did anyone get a free EA game code from Amazon when you preordered Mass Effect 3?
Because I got one due to other people having issues installing it from the Amazon Installer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Lyer posted:

The analogy someone made earlier is that it is like eating a delicious bowl of soup, but when you get to the bottom of the bowl there is a little nugget of poo poo there that kind of ruins the whole meal.

• Locked thread