Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Wat. No he's not.

He just "knows a lot about grizzly bears."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

User0015 posted:

I really need to start my Vanguard playthrough.

What skills should I max first? Is there a particular MUST HAVE that isn't obvious?

Charge, piercing nova for sure.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

He just "knows a lot about grizzly bears."

His confusion over this joke made me piss myself laughing.

Manley Pointer
Sep 6, 2010
Sorry in advance for the :spergin:

Stopped midway through and started replaying the game as Vanguard to change a couple things (not exactly in a hurry to see the ending). This game seems way less replayable than either of the other Mass Effects due to the lack of dialogue choices or interesting decisions before Tuchanka. Ridiculous as it sometimes was, the huge difference between ME1 shep's renegade and paragon dialogue was pretty entertaining to see. ME3 shep usually says the same thing, and you're just choosing "slightly more compassionate" or "slightly more direct." You don't really have the option to troll Ash or tell alien heads of state to gently caress off any more.

Just thinking of the Eden Prime mission from ME1, the designers really went out of their way to give the player a stake in the narrative, immediately letting you tell Joker to shut up about Nihlus, argue aggressively with Anderson and Nihlus, etc. And on Eden Prime itself they include decisions at regular intervals -- you can knock out the colonist who's freaking the gently caress out, and you can force the guys in the smuggling ring to give you stuff after getting info about it through persuade options in two different conversations. In ME3, the smuggling ring would be a guy named "Smuggler" arguing with a guy named "Space Cop" on the Citadel, you would click to support one of them, and then get +2 Reputation no matter who you chose. ME2 definitely started a downward slide with a Mission End screen and thank-you emails standing in for closure on most sidequests, but ME3 makes the player's involvement even more shallow.

The ME3 prologue, Mars, and Palaven feel like a mediocre Bro Shooter; big explosions happening in the background (hit R3 to watch them like a movie!), easy combat in the foreground. It seems like with every new game Bioware make, they throw away a bit of RPG philosophy and replace it with scripted events or action, which they are just not very good at. An AAA action studio like Epic or Naughty Dog wouldn't include a weak sequence the herky-jerky Dr. Eva "chase," where she warps around, instantly recovers from damage, and moves hilariously fast if you get too close to her.

They really have improved the combat compared to the first two games, but I have no idea why they felt the need to "streamline" a lot of the personality out of the franchise. It's like the modern Bioware can never improve one aspect of a series without loving up a different part of its appeal.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
If the crappy endings are literally just some bnk movies, wouldn't it be possible to just replace it with some blank files?

I haven't played it yet but if that's doable it'd be a better solution than shutting the game down at a certain point :v:

Ryan-RB
Mar 19, 2006

If we knew the will of God, then we'd all be Gods, wouldn't we?
Here's what I loved about the ending:
My LI Liara showing me a crazy astral vision of the galaxy as a kiss goodbye. In a game full of heart-wrenching moments, this one drat near broke me. I knew at that moment the whole crew could die, and that saving those relationships meant more than any victory over the Reapers. No lovely deus ex by the Catalyst can take that away.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Wat. No he's not.

Fairly certain he is, there is a load of 'gay banter' between him and Cortez, and he is always really really awkwardly adverse to my femsheps 'seriousy' flirting. Someone claimed they bedded Vega as a maleshep after his N7 chat, but can't verify that so doubt it's accurate. So far it seems he is completely un-romancable by both genders.

I just completed two playthroughs believing and treating him as a gay bff for my femshep, thought it came across quite strong. Welp maybe I could be wrong.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Ryan-RB posted:

My LI Liara showing me a crazy astral vision of the galaxy as a kiss goodbye. In a game full of heart-wrenching moments, this one drat near broke me. I knew at that moment the whole crew could die, and that saving those relationships meant more than any victory over the Reapers. No lovely deus ex by the Catalyst can take that away.

Unromanced shep gets that too, it was really sweet.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I was touched by the final dialogue with Jacob, but not because of any emotional attachment - You poor dumb bastard, that bar in Rio is just a smoking crater filled with husks and abominations now... :sad:

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Ryan-RB posted:

I can't let this post go by without throwing in my support for it. I said it in my huge post before but I was completely in awe at that. Just astounded. Both of Liara's final romance scenes were simply amazing, and I say this as someone that obviously loved the rest of her scenes as well, but those went even beyond the rest.

What that meant Liara was sharing with Shepard too, that they were completely melding together and Liara was sharing her very, mind, being and essence with Shepard, was not something lost on me. I had to catch my breath a bit after that.

I'm going to take a minute here to also repeat myself in saying that the sex scene with Liara similarly was something I loved, because it showed off a lot of chemistry between Liara and Shep, and it came across as really mature, and like there was actual pure love between them. The emotion in that scene just was portrayed well. That and, as I also mentioned before, I felt they did a good job of maintaining Liara's "alienness" instead of it just being a blue stand in for Ashley or something. Her scene is actually different enough than a human's, with the way she mixes in biotics and also how she looks - her skin is amazingly detailed and does not just look like blue flesh, but even looks slightly...scaled? or something of that sort. But it's not just blue flesh, even if it does look that way throughout most of the less detailed appearances in the games.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
The thing that gets me the most about this game is the music. Moreso than ME1, 2, or any other game I've really ever played Mass Effect 3's soundtrack captures the spirit of sadness, sacrifice, yet has a strong undertone of duty. It's haunting. It's beautiful. It's depressing yet uplifting.

I can't get it out of my head.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Aristobulus posted:

The game is really fun. Seriously. It's amazing. 99% of the game is just mind blowing and I can barely rave enough about how much it blew my mind and blew my expectations out of the water.

What you're hearing is just a lot of moaning about the literal last few minutes of the game.

Nah there's a bunch of niggling little issues throughout that bring down my enjoyment of the game, but the ending just kills it.

IMO it's almost on the level of ME1 and leagues better than ME2 so there's that at least.

Psyker posted:

The thing that gets me the most about this game is the music. Moreso than ME1, 2, or any other game I've really ever played Mass Effect 3's soundtrack captures the spirit of sadness, sacrifice, yet has a strong undertone of duty. It's haunting. It's beautiful. It's depressing yet uplifting.

I can't get it out of my head.

It's Mass Effect: Hollywood soundtrack.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

Flipswitch posted:

It has to be said, this game looks and sounds fantastic. I just did the Genophage Cure and the lighting effects are incredible, the sound engine for the fog horns the Reapers use sound amazing with a surround sound system too, nearly blew out my eardrums. Mordin went out like a champ.

Just finished the game so I'm finally catching up on this thread and I just had to agree with this. I'm playing with a surround-sound headset and every roar the Reapers made echoed inside my skull, it was incredibly atmostpheric.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I think the best part of that game is the "Please stop touching that" Salarian on Sur'Kesh. Holy poo poo that part of the game was utterly amazing.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The final conversation with Garrus got me a little misty eyed, good voice acting by Jennifer Hale there.

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Unromanced shep gets that too, it was really sweet.

Do they still kiss while in the void if not in a romance with her? I thought that was a really well done scene.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Do they still kiss while in the void if not in a romance with her? I thought that was a really well done scene.

I think she just leans her head on his shoulder.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

TheJanitor posted:

Also I would very much like to see an adept on insanity complete the final scene with shepard limping towards the beam, I don't understand how it is possible unless I have missed something. It takes the marauder 3 shots to kill you, you have no cover, it is fully shielded and all you have is a tiny pistol. I had to lower the difficulty for the first time after trying that last scene a ridiculous number of times.

You have to headshot him. Several times.

I died like 10 times on that part.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is this good or bad? What's your opinion here?

It reads like you're being negative, but Hollywood soundtracks are normally incredibly well composed, well recorded and effecting works, not something that is thrown together as a .midi file and tossed into the background of a scene.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The final conversation with Garrus got me a little misty eyed, good voice acting by Jennifer Hale there.

Liara just holds her arm and rests her head on Sheps shoulder :3:
The final garrus convo was loving heartbreaking, Hale and Keener did a loving amazing job.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Is there any sort of sex scene if you romanced Jack? All I've been able to see is when you first meet her, the bar scene and before the final battle.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Just finished the Geth Arc. This story continues to top itself.

I hovered over the dialog wheel for a full minute before pulling the trigger on the quarians. I felt bad terrible about it, and in the end it's sort of like there was no "correct" choice after seeing the history of the geth. You either condemn a race to die for having the audacity to evolve and want to not be slaves, or you kill off another race who just want to regain the home that they lost hundreds of years ago because of the shortsightedness of their ancestors. It wouldn't be as bad if the fleet hadn't deployed all their civilians as well, which made me feel extra guilty

My one complaint is that Legion had to die too. At the very least the game could have put him in the party after Tali kills herself and I could cruise around the galaxy with my robot bro.

But yeah. Facing down a Reaper on foot with a laser that summons an orbital bombardment? Yeah that's not bad at all.

Man, the post Reaper War galaxy is going to be a really weird place for my game. Hordes of krogan unshackled by the genophage, rachni flying around again, and now the geth as a legit race.

I'm still prepping myself to be let down/angered by the ending, whatever it is, but as far as I'm concerned the game has delivered.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It really is though. Right from the Bioware's site:

BioWare posted:

We want to share the official list of the talented team of composers who will play critical roles in Mass Effect 3's musical development, with direction led by BioWare’s acclaimed audio team. The roster of composers for Mass Effect 3 includes:

Clint Mansell, Golden Globe nominated Hollywood composer recognized for scoring celebrated films including Black Swan, The Wrestler and Requiem for a Dream.

Christopher Lennertz, Emmy nominated Hollywood composer known for his work on the recent movie Horrible Bosses, also composed Mass Effect 2: Overlord, Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker, and won the Interactive Academy Award for Medal of Honor.

Cris Velasco, known for composing the God of War series’ score, has also worked on downloadable content Mass Effect 2: Kasumi and Mass Effect 2: Arrival.

Sam Hulick, veteran to the Mass Effect series having composed the score for Mass Effect, Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky and Mass Effect 2.

Sascha Dikiciyan, video game industry veteran, known for composing the score for TRON: Evolution and the scores of Mass Effect 2: Kasumi and Mass Effect 2: Arrival.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

I hovered over the dialog wheel for a full minute before pulling the trigger on the quarians. I felt bad terrible about it, and in the end it's sort of like there was no "correct" choice after seeing the history of the geth. You either condemn a race to die for having the audacity to evolve and want to not be slaves, or you kill off another race who just want to regain the home that they lost hundreds of years ago because of the shortsightedness of their ancestors. It wouldn't be as bad if the fleet hadn't deployed all their civilians as well, which made me feel extra guilty

I'm really conflicted about whether or not to tell you that it is possible for you to broker a lasting peace at that point, depending on things you could have done earlier. Highlight if you want to know about something that apparently won't be happening in your playthrough, and if you don't expect to be driven mad by the knowledge of what could have happened.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm really conflicted about whether or not to tell you that it is possible for you to broker a lasting peace at that point, depending on things you could have done earlier. Highlight if you want to know about something that apparently won't be happening in your playthrough, and if you don't expect to be driven mad by the knowledge of what could have happened.
I figured something like that would be the case, but I appreciate how the game forces you to make difficult decisions and then live with them. In the krogan arc the decision to destroy Maelon's data in ME2 came back to haunt me in a way that I didn't expect. I felt confident that destroying the data was the correct decision, since saving it felt a little too opportunistic-- profiting off of genetic war crimes and all. But then it leads to Eve dying; but I didn't really feel like I was being punished for my decision, since events played out in a very emotionally rewarding way.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Strange Matter posted:

My one complaint is that Legion had to die too. At the very least the game could have put him in the party after Tali kills herself and I could cruise around the galaxy with my robot bro.

But yeah. Facing down a Reaper on foot with a laser that summons an orbital bombardment? Yeah that's not bad at all.

Man, the post Reaper War galaxy is going to be a really weird place for my game. Hordes of krogan unshackled by the genophage, rachni flying around again, and now the geth as a legit race.

I'm still prepping myself to be let down/angered by the ending, whatever it is, but as far as I'm concerned the game has delivered.

Did you just ignore the whole "yeah, the Geth were looking to re-unify at the end of Mass Effect 2 and in Mass Effect 3 the Quarians decide it was finally time to take over the homeworld militarily and the Geth only joined up with the Reapers due to their ridiculously stupid attack"?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Aristobulus posted:

I can't let this post go by without throwing in my support for it. I said it in my huge post before but I was completely in awe at that. Just astounded. Both of Liara's final romance scenes were simply amazing, and I say this as someone that obviously loved the rest of her scenes as well, but those went even beyond the rest.

What that meant Liara was sharing with Shepard too, that they were completely melding together and Liara was sharing her very, mind, being and essence with Shepard, was not something lost on me. I had to catch my breath a bit after that.

I'm going to take a minute here to also repeat myself in saying that the sex scene with Liara similarly was something I loved, because it showed off a lot of chemistry between Liara and Shep, and it came across as really mature, and like there was actual pure love between them. The emotion in that scene just was portrayed well. That and, as I also mentioned before, I felt they did a good job of maintaining Liara's "alienness" instead of it just being a blue stand in for Ashley or something. Her scene is actually different enough than a human's, with the way she mixes in biotics and also how she looks - her skin is amazingly detailed and does not just look like blue flesh, but even looks slightly...scaled? or something of that sort. But it's not just blue flesh, even if it does look that way throughout most of the less detailed appearances in the games.
Bioware gets a lot of poo poo for its focus on romance and sex scenes, some of it deserved, but those two scenes were really well done.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

nessin posted:

Did you just ignore the whole "yeah, the Geth were looking to re-unify at the end of Mass Effect 2 and in Mass Effect 3 the Quarians decide it was finally time to take over the homeworld militarily and the Geth only joined up with the Reapers due to their ridiculously stupid attack"?
I didn't ignore that but that didn't make the choice any less difficult. The quarian leadership obviously screwed up big time in launching the attack, so I would have been okay with them biting it. But the fact is that half the fleet didn't want to commit to the attack but were drawn in anyway-- including the full complement of civilian ships as well.

The quarians are a tragic case because they're so rigidly fixated on their past that they can't see how the present has changed. Like Tali says, their entire culture is rooted in their homeworld, and that's a powerful driving force for them. But at the same time their vision of the past is clouded, whereas the geth's is clear. They're chasing a past that they don't really understand and it leads them into the jaws of death. But Shepard is the one who makes that call. Ultimately she's the one who decides which race has earned the right to exist.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The Protheans sure managed to get a lot done whilst in the process of being wiped out, didn't they? Then again, the Reapers's method of eliminating all life is hilariously inefficient

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Malrauxs Place posted:

I could easily imagine a new game in the same universe set after the races of the galaxy have discovered their own means of space travel. Remember that while it wasn't as gothic and ornate as Warhammer 40k or Dune, Mass Effect was still a stagnant universe, because more or less everything was in place already thanks to the citadel and the relays. There is nothing that indicates that galactic civilization couldn't eventually recover from their loss.

Yep, pretty much what you said. I don't see what people are so bent out of shape about with the endings. I've assumed since ME2 that it would all end with some variant of "the Reapers are about to be defeated, and as a final gently caress you to the galaxy they blow up the relays". The reapers loose, all the tech they employed to control the galaxy is gone, and the races of the ME universe are left to rise up from the ashes and learn to build their own relay system without using the bad guys toys as a crutch. Sure some of the details are stupid, like the whole "organics and synthetics can never ever play in the same sandbox" being an issue after the Geth and Quarians make nice. But overall I take the relay destruction thing as just the price that has to be paid to free the universe of the Reapers.

I guess it's just me, but that doesn't seem like too high a price to pay for those results. The Reapers are a force that makes the Borg and the Empire look like kids egging a house. To have an ending where you knock out the final boss and then Shep and Garrus pat each others backs and head to Omega for a beer would make it a pretty hollow victory. And in the end, galactic civilization is still just a tool of the enemy. Putting the races of the universe on the path to create a world built on their own struggle to bounce back from the edge seems pretty uplifting to me, actually.

Oh yeah, the whole "Everybody is gonna starve and die" thing is beyond silly. Sure food production is down, but so is the population. So some scientific and military outposts will be lost, but any self sustaining colony is going to have the ability to produce it's own food. And if anybody is building colonies that aren't self sustaining, they're too stupid to live anyway. Yeah it's a big setback, and things will get worse before they get better. But struggling against the odds has been a big theme with these games.

The game has plenty of major problems. Like the elusive dialog wheel that doesn't really effect anything when it does occasionally show up. Or the number of major characters that have been shuffled off to cameo appearances because they've been replaced by paper thin stand-ins that you're never given a reason to give a poo poo about. Plus the problem of swapping "Interact with NPC's and go shoot up someplace" side missions with, "overhear a conversation, then check your journal (that no longer keeps track of your mission status), and go scan a system" pointlessness. This last one really pisses me off, since the combat actually is an improvement. It would have been nice to get to do some more shooting instead of spending all my time watching loadscreens as I rode the citadel elevator trying to find out who I had to walk near in order to complete some quest. With all the negatives ME3 bring to the table, I'm kinda surprised that the ending is the thing people seem so bent out of shape about.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 11, 2012

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just beat the game with 50% readiness and 2.9k ish War Assets and I really liked the feeling that came across that this was really make or break. Everyone died, everything was going to poo poo, Shepard gets blown up right before the beam up, it was pretty cool. I was really hoping for a not so perfect ending where you didn't just repel the reapers and everything is honky dory. I kinda wish FemShep lived at the end, especially since Traynor wanted a picture perfect lesbian household with two kids, a white picket fence, and a golden retriever.

Is there any big noticeable difference between being perfectly ready and half assing it besides the end cut scene? Do more people survive the final assault in London and you end up on the Catalyst with a full squad and not halfway burned to death?

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Noxville posted:

The Protheans sure managed to get a lot done whilst in the process of being wiped out, didn't they? Then again, the Reapers's method of eliminating all life is hilariously inefficient

They only get to come out and play once every 50k years. Might as well take a few hundred years to fly around vaporizing poo poo and figure out the grossest possible husk to create in any given cycle.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Doltos posted:

I just beat the game with 50% readiness and 2.9k ish War Assets
Is there any big noticeable difference between being perfectly ready and half assing it besides the end cut scene? Do more people [spoiler]survive the final assault in London and you end up on the Catalyst with a full squad and not halfway burned to death?

No. The difference assets make only matter below 2.5k or so, and they are largely "Earth gets destroyed, rocks fall, everyone dies" and then "Earth is mostly destroyed, rocks fall, most people die". The higher it goes, earth doesn't get destroyed, and you select what giant swaths of people die or become half robots.

Did we ever get any definitive proof on whether or not playing through New Game+ offers a different ending?

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Doltos posted:

I just beat the game with 50% readiness and 2.9k ish War Assets and I really liked the feeling that came across that this was really make or break. Everyone died, everything was going to poo poo, Shepard gets blown up right before the beam up, it was pretty cool. I was really hoping for a not so perfect ending where you didn't just repel the reapers and everything is honky dory. I kinda wish FemShep lived at the end, especially since Traynor wanted a picture perfect lesbian household with two kids, a white picket fence, and a golden retriever.

Is there any big noticeable difference between being perfectly ready and half assing it besides the end cut scene? Do more people survive the final assault in London and you end up on the Catalyst with a full squad and not halfway burned to death?

Every ending is the same, except the beam that the Catalyst shoots out is a different color, the Reapers fly away instead of blowing up, and Joker and two random squadmates (including possibly the ones who were with you on the ground) get out of the Normandy. Oh, and Earth doesn't get fried to a crisp by the Catalyst.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Doltos posted:

No. I finished the game with 6000-ish assets and 87% readiness and still entered the Catalyst half-dead and alone.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
It's going to suck being one of the lone voices not hating the endings of this game from here on out. I'm more interested in seeing if there will be any kind of response from Bioware. I honestly can't remember so many people being mad about the same thing. Then again, maybe it's just a very vocal minority. The next couple of months will be interesting.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Also I think my biggest beef with this game isn't the new characters or the clunky cover system. I think it all boils down to one simple thing: the entire game is a shooting range on rails.

The game is nothing but cut scenes. Basically the cut scenes just shuttle you from one target practice area to the next. They'll show a cutscene of a tank or gunship dodging turret fire, but you'll never be able to control the tank or the gunship. Ground will break beneath you and you'll stumble down it, but you can't actually control it. Anything that slightly varies from you targeting a reaper or Cerberus drone is a cut scene. The game feels entirely hollow and empty, just like Dragon Age 2. I miss RPGs where you can actually like... jump. Or theres a massive map that you're free to explore.

Everything else feels like busy work. Scanning planets and shuttling artifacts for war assets just seems like a waste of time, there's no challenge to it. Basically to me this game was Mass Effect 3: The Interactive Movie.

Still though, that last mission and the story line made it worth playing, I just don't believe the game as a whole was very good at all.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spikeguy posted:

It's going to suck being one of the lone voices not hating the endings of this game from here on out. I'm more interested in seeing if there will be any kind of response from Bioware. I honestly can't remember so many people being mad about the same thing. Then again, maybe it's just a very vocal minority. The next couple of months will be interesting.

I loved the endings. I hate perfect Hollywood finishes where the good guy gets the girl and the evil guy gets total comeuppance. There was a lot of grey and I wish that they could have expounded on the finishes a bit more, but other than that I was happy.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Why is the journal and mail system SO BAD?

If I've forgotten the context of the original conversation, some of the journal missions are impossible to figure out. They also don't update to the current situation and are incredibly vague. Some missions will tell you where to go but others won't. It's like there were 5 different people working on it, and they were all back in the 90's in the day where you bought strategy guides just to be able to complete games because of obscure info.

The mail is also :psyduck: because after reading a message it puts them in some convoluted order and you're left wondering who said what to meet you where, something even Traynor can't even figure out.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Doltos posted:

Also I think my biggest beef with this game isn't the new characters or the clunky cover system. I think it all boils down to one simple thing: the entire game is a shooting range on rails.

The game is nothing but cut scenes. Basically the cut scenes just shuttle you from one target practice area to the next. They'll show a cutscene of a tank or gunship dodging turret fire, but you'll never be able to control the tank or the gunship. Ground will break beneath you and you'll stumble down it, but you can't actually control it. Anything that slightly varies from you targeting a reaper or Cerberus drone is a cut scene. The game feels entirely hollow and empty, just like Dragon Age 2. I miss RPGs where you can actually like... jump. Or theres a massive map that you're free to explore.

Everything else feels like busy work. Scanning planets and shuttling artifacts for war assets just seems like a waste of time, there's no challenge to it. Basically to me this game was Mass Effect 3: The Interactive Movie.

Still though, that last mission and the story line made it worth playing, I just don't believe the game as a whole was very good at all.

It is still a Mass Effect game, what were you expecting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Doltos posted:

I miss RPGs where you can actually like... jump.

I almost always get upset when I can't jump in a game. It feels unnatural. Even if jumping doesn't get me anywhere, it's a form of movement that has been in most games I've played since I was 4 years old or so and played Mario where jumping was the biggest element of the game.

That said, i'm super loving glad it isn't in ME3, and for a good reason.

If you could jump, that poo poo would be done with the space bar. Just like getting into cover, changing cover locations, breaking out of cover, defensive rolling, sliding over walls, climbing over walls, skipping dialogue and selecting a dialogue option.

• Locked thread