Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dacta was the school-only stuff, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It was possible to get it without being at school, but I think you still needed the school's catalog.

You can order Lego Educational stuff as normal these days, I ordered a bunch of chain-link tracks and gears, and they weren't really prohibitively expensive like Dacta was.

SG-83
Sep 6, 2004

I guess it's not just a dog thing!

The_Doctor posted:

Dacta was the school-only stuff, no?
Yeah, I remember my elementary school getting a whole pile of Dacta boxes. It was the best day ever when they brought them in. :dance:

I should have asked for the catalog, the Dacta boxes had pretty decent part selections. Pretty much everything I was running short on...especially track links. Of course, that was waaaaaay before BrickLink or anything like that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I just realized that the half-asleep head for Sleepyhead could also double as Downs Syndrome Boy. Is there a minifig hockey-helmet we could slap on this guy....

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 10, 2012

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 20, 2014

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
On my back from Brickworld Indy. I don't remember which goon brought it to my attention a few weeks ago but I can't thank you enough. It was amazing. The kids had a blast and there was some cool interactive stuff. I took over 300 pictures. When I get home I'll post some of the good ones and link to the rest which will all be in my photobucket account. If you can go, go!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

FadingChord posted:

Seconding Medieval Market Village. Another bonus is that each house is in a different instruction booklet, so you two people can build at the same time without switching roles between hunting for pieces and assembling.
Thanks for the recommendations. My wife and I swung by the LEGO store after lunch and picked up the Medieval Market Village. We drooled over the Tower Bridge for a few minutes, but it's quite a bit more than we want to spend.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Hey lego people i'm selling my scorpion pyramid for 50 bux if you live in the Seattle area. I'm up in Kirkland.

It's been built twice, once when i got in in January and again to make sure i have all the pieces to sell it. The blocks are clean and scratch free. It's a fun build(i love the car and scorpion) i just need rent moneys. I have the box and instructions and all minifigs etc. PM me or email me at drummingmonkeypod6@yahoo.com

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
Today I received my impulse purchase of the mini modular set. At first I was slightly disappointed, for some reason i thought they would be a little bigger. It didn't make a difference. I just finished the fist building, and it was fun to build, and looks great. The only problem is, now I want the full sized ones :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hope my tax returns get to me before the Mini Modulars go out of production. :ohdear:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Ok here's the whole album: http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/ChesterJT/Brickworld%20Indy%202012/. After removing some blurry shots I ended up with 297. Here's a few of my favorites!

Bought this for SASS this december

Shirt I bought. Are those numbers in mm I assume?

This guy is the designer for all the architecture sets. He was autographing boxes too.

That building in Malaysia whose name I can't remember right now.

Closeup

Skateboard stadium

Micro Star Wars

Nice shot through Hoth doors looking out at the huge battlefield outside. They had those LEDs on a blinker so it looked like Chewie was welding on the Falcon. There's a video of it in the album.

A building

Etch a sketch

Another cool building

Ketchup

This dude made Hero Quest!

Micro IKEA

Ice castle

This castle was super impressive

The autographed Lucas Oil stadium. The guy who built it was there and I happened to get video of him taking apart a panel on the back while he was showing someone how it all worked. The amount of hidden gears and poo poo in there would blow your mind. The video is in the album too.

Some mindstorm game I didn't get to see them play but looked very cool

A working ATM complete with card and swiper

A very cool piece

One angle Darth Vader...

the other, Anakin!

They were building a large scale version of an old Lego castle set. The amount of work into each "brick" was incredible. Here's one of the knights. You can see his axe on the table.

Those wall sections were crazy big.

Edit: VVV Yes! That was it! It even had that Rally logo with the yellow and black stripes on it right at the front but I didn't get a picture of it.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 10, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ChesterJT posted:

Some mindstorm game I didn't get to see them play but looked very cool

Oh my god, it looks like they made a fully automated Robo Rally :swoon:

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no

Gravy Jones posted:

Medeival Market Village is a really popular and highly rated set that probably won't be available for much longer.

Thanks for pointing this one out, I will be buying this next payday as my Prancing Pony stand-in for when the LOTR sets come out.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

ChesterJT posted:

On my back from Brickworld Indy. I don't remember which goon brought it to my attention a few weeks ago but I can't thank you enough. It was amazing. The kids had a blast and there was some cool interactive stuff. I took over 300 pictures. When I get home I'll post some of the good ones and link to the rest which will all be in my photobucket account. If you can go, go!

I brought it to your attention! Thanks for taking all those pictures, now I don't have to do it tomorrow :v:. Do you mind if I share these with IndyLUG and the Brickworld staff?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

djfooboo posted:

I brought it to your attention! Thanks for taking all those pictures, now I don't have to do it tomorrow :v:. Do you mind if I share these with IndyLUG and the Brickworld staff?

Share away! And tell them thanks for having it and for all their hard work! My lovely cellphone pictures(tm) are pretty blurry in spots but some turned out good. I think there was just too much depth on the tables and the camera didn't know where exactly to focus.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 10, 2012

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I just realized that the half-asleep head for Sleepyhead could also double as Downs Syndrome Boy. Is there a minifig hockey-helmet we could slap on this guy....

He has the best face on the other side: smugly sleeping.

BWIndy was fun. I was happy there wasn't too much repeated from BWFtWayne, and that giant MTron setup was phenomenal.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Saint Sputnik posted:

I was happy there wasn't too much repeated from BWFtWayne, and that giant MTron setup was phenomenal.

This makes me inordinately happy. Both the lack of repetition and the giant M-Tron display.

Super excited to go now. My daughter's going to explode. She has no idea we're going. Bwahahaha!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Anybody have a link to buy that minifig tshirt online?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Anybody have a link to buy that minifig tshirt online?

Lots of solid choices:

http://www.brickshirts.com/cart/index.php?main_page=products_all

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

Been trying to figure out my next Lego buy and came across something interesting. The transport truck set has 276 pieces and normally sells for $20. Meanwhile, the propeller power set has 247 pieces and costs $45. Why does the truck have 30 more pieces yet sell for less than half as much?

e: \/\/\/\/ aw, well transport truck it is then.

Matazat fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 11, 2012

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Matazat posted:

Been trying to figure out my next Lego buy and came across something interesting. The transport truck set has 276 pieces and normally sells for $20. Meanwhile, the propeller power set has 247 pieces and costs $45. Why does the truck have 30 more pieces yet sell for less than half as much?

Propeller Power isn't made anymore.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Karma Tornado posted:

Propeller Power isn't made anymore.

That, and the Propeller Power set is being sold by an independent seller who sets their own price, Amazon only fulfills the order. The Transport Truck is sold by Amazon itself, and they can command lower prices.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Lots of solid choices:

http://www.brickshirts.com/cart/index.php?main_page=products_all

Niiiice thanks!

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

Went digging through my brother's my old Lego tub to find a replacement piece for one of my newer sets and came across these:

2 original forest wenches and some other random wench (I think it's from one of the castle sets).

There can be only one! :black101:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
TO WAR, MEN! REPEL THE IRON INVADERS! :black101:

(click for big)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Hahaha the windup zombie.

vrunt
Jul 4, 2003

the great trollini

WhiteHowler posted:

Lately my wife and I have been building LEGO kits together while watching TV. We've already done the Farnsworth House from the Architectural series (overpriced and kind of disappointing) and the older midi-sized Star Destroyer (which looks awesome and was really fun to build).

We're looking for good kits that two people can easily build together. We don't have kids, so the "playability" of the final product doesn't really matter. Preferably something that wouldn't be too embarrassing sitting on a bookshelf in an adult household. Any suggestions?

Has anyone built the big Space Shuttle Expedition kit? We're huge space nerds, and it looks like it might be fun to build, but I'm not sure how well it would work with two people building at once.

I don't think that would be too fun to build as a duo. For a bit more money, you could get the Kingdoms Joust, which is broken into modular parts so you can both work on different buildings at the same time.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Julius Von Brunk's newest creation, it's loving amazing. The game cartridge turns into the thing sitting on the robot's shoulder. He did his own sticker work.

http://vonbrunk.tumblr.com/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He made a Game Boy Soundwave with a Tetris Laserbeak. Amazing.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Holy poo poo the lego batteries are amazing.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm thinking about buying something from the Lego online store for the first time. I have no other Lego stores near me, so the only sets I've gotten so far are newer ones readily available in department stores. I've seen the Medieval Village mentioned earlier, are there any other really good deals for what you get there?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm thinking about buying something from the Lego online store for the first time. I have no other Lego stores near me, so the only sets I've gotten so far are newer ones readily available in department stores. I've seen the Medieval Village mentioned earlier, are there any other really good deals for what you get there?

Any of the modular buildings. As far as I know they are only available in Lego stores and online.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

UncleRadnor posted:

Quick derail: Hundreds of pages back, someone linked a blog that did great reviews and semi-humorous reviews of lego sets. I remember guy reviewed most of the castles, going into pretty good detail and the latest review on the blog was of this pathetic set. Anybody got the link?

That was me!!! https://www.deconstructinglego.blogspot.com Glad you enjoyed it!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Up until March 15th they have double VIP points. Which mean (more or less) you get 10% or so back in store credit. SO it's a good time to get an expensive set if you're going to. Check "exclusives" and "hard to find" for things that you either don't see, or don't see very often in department stores.

They have some good deals but it's mostly for regular stuff that's reached the end of their life and they're trying to dump it. The popular exclusive stuff rarely gets discounted as it tends to stay pretty popular until it's gone. There's ocassionally some badly judged exclusive stuff that no one wants that gets heavily discounted (I'm look at you Obi-Wan’s Jedi Starfighter, 650 bricks for 100 bucks). My site lists discounts at the Lego Store, but they're kind of slim pickings in the US at the moment (and there's still a few bugs in it, something I'm working on as I type).

Aside from the Market Village other popular ones are The Tower Bridge (huge and expensive, but pretty impressive), The Modular Building line (The Town Hall is the current one), Everyone who gets it seems to love the VW Camper Van as well. The Architecture series is another one you won't see in the shops. Some people like them, but they're really expensive for what you get.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

quote:

There's ocassionally some badly judged exclusive stuff that no one wants that gets heavily discounted (I'm look at you Obi-Wan’s Jedi Starfighter, 650 bricks for 100 bucks)

A hundred? Picked mine up for 70.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Torael_7 posted:

A hundred? Picked mine up for 70.
$99.99 is the MRSP. Which is crazy high. Hence the discount probably (it's down to $60 now).

Was more just pointing out that a lot of the big exclusive stuff never gets discounted because it's always in demand. I guess the "Winter... " stuff is an exception, probably because they're seasonal.

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010

Pirate Ken posted:

That was me!!! https://www.deconstructinglego.blogspot.com Glad you enjoyed it!

Yes! Bookmarked so hard. I'm gonna go read the old articles. Now uh, where's the new stuff? :f5: Just kidding, take your time :)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just got done building the Lighthouse set. This may be my favourite generic set right now. Its just got a really cool design to it, and the colour choices are great.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Here's a nerd conundrum I've never figured out. The wrists on LEGO figures are not in the center of the hand, so there's a larger area on one side. Do you spin the larger area so that it's on top or bottom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

Here's a nerd conundrum I've never figured out. The wrists on LEGO figures are not in the center of the hand, so there's a larger area on one side. Do you spin the larger area so that it's on top or bottom?

Anyone who doesn't think the flat bit goes on top is a Lego scrub of the highest order.