Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Hah, I died even quicker doing that than if i stood around shooting at him.

Do you have the Geth shotgun? I used that on him and he died in 2 shots (after his shields went down). I seriously stopped using any gun in the second half of the game that wasn't that loving Geth Shotgun and Geth Rifle. Whenever he hits the ground and recharges, he creates cover for you to use. Hide behind there and keep popping him until his shields are down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

twistedmentat posted:

He seems invincible when he does that. I pour shot after shot of level 5 disruptor ammo into him and not a single bar was removed.

What difficulty are you on? On normal I took out his shields pretty fast with a Claymore and after that he went down with one headshot.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

twistedmentat posted:

He seems invincible when he does that. I pour shot after shot of level 5 disruptor ammo into him and not a single bar was removed.

I played through as a soldier so I'm not sure for you but using the Geth Pulse Shotgun (the one you can charge up) made the whole encounter disappointingly easy. When spare Cerberus guys spawned I just pop killed each of them with the gun, found cover, then worked down his shields with pistol disruptor ammo. When he goes to recharge I'd pop adrenaline rush, charge the shotgun, then hit him. It would remove a fourth of his shields every time and then I just finished him with the shotgun.

Seriously though, just find cover. When he bashes the floors that creates cover and you can just hide there whenever you get hurt. If he chases after you just hop over cover and continue to hide until your shields are back up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

VarXX posted:

Do you have the Geth shotgun? I used that on him and he died in 2 shots (after his shields went down). I seriously stopped using any gun in the second half of the game that wasn't that loving Geth Shotgun and Geth Rifle. Whenever he hits the ground and recharges, he creates cover for you to use. Hide behind there and keep popping him until his shields are down.

I'm using the Geth pulse rifle, and yea, nothing. Then I remembered the scorpion. Yea, gently caress all these big rear end guns, a tiny pistol made by talking frogs will do it. I would of had it if it wasn't for those loving Phantoms. Seriously, lets make a super fast, super tough, insta kill with a melee attack enemy! Yea that will be fun in a game with the combat is mostly cover based shooting.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Do you have a Scorpion? That was pretty much my go-to boss-killer for my first run-through

EDIT: Fine, see if I help you again :saddowns:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

twistedmentat posted:

I'm using the Geth pulse rifle, and yea, nothing. Then I remembered the scorpion. Yea, gently caress all these big rear end guns, a tiny pistol made by talking frogs will do it. I would of had it if it wasn't for those loving Phantoms. Seriously, lets make a super fast, super tough, insta kill with a melee attack enemy! Yea that will be fun in a game with the combat is mostly cover based shooting.

Someone didn't play a Vanguard :colbert:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Anyone have access to a good quality photo of the Female Shepard box art on 360? I'd like to make a Femshep/360 version of my 'Dumb Ending' photoshop, but I can't find any quality images online of the Femshep art. Only male Shepard.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Alright. I'm at the part where Mordin is about to go up the elevator on Tuchanka at the Shroud and I'm given the decision to say 'I'm not stopping you' or 'I'll stop you if i have to'. I must have missed what came just before that but I have no idea what I'm responding to. Can someone help me out?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord of Laughton posted:

Alright. I'm at the part where Mordin is about to go up the elevator on Tuchanka at the Shroud and I'm given the decision to say 'I'm not stopping you' or 'I'll stop you if i have to'. I must have missed what came just before that but I have no idea what I'm responding to. Can someone help me out?

Mordin learned that you've been keeping the Shroud's sabotage from him and is determined to go up anyway.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lord of Laughton posted:

The salarian dalatrass told you that it was possible to sabotage the genophage cure (or, more accurately, to neglect to fix the pre-existing sabotage) in such a way that there's a good chance the krogans won't notice for a few years. Mordin, of course, intends to ensure that the cure works. If you want to cure the genophage, don't stop him.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Lord of Laughton posted:

Mordin needs to go up the Shroud Tower to activate the genophage cure. If you let him do it, he goes on up the tower. If you're a dick to him, you're really a dick- to him and the entire Krogan race.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, managed to do it. I think maybe he got bugged in one or more combats, because he would just sit there, recharging shields for a long rear end time, and one time he did bug out in the middle of a flip, but couldn't be damaged.

Well, at least I know what to do, when I do my Vanguard play-through.

At least once you beat him, the cutscene is pretty sweet. Broke your loving sword you rear end in a top hat!

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!
I'm playing through the Mass Effect series for the first time, and jumping from 1 to 2 on PC is incredibly frustrating. For instance, the complete removal of any hotkeys to access your journal, codex, or inventory. So rear end backwards. Did they fix this in ME3, or is it more of the same?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Doltos posted:

I loved the endings. I hate perfect Hollywood finishes where the good guy gets the girl and the evil guy gets total comeuppance. There was a lot of grey and I wish that they could have expounded on the finishes a bit more, but other than that I was happy.

I just wanted to mention that for myself, and I'm sure many people who hated the ending: the reasons for hating it had nothing to do with it not being a "perfect Hollywood ending" and more to do with the BS deus ex catalyst kid, and the fact that the endings are specifically set up to take all meaning out of every action and decision you made in the entire game due to the drastic sweeping changes they all cause to the galaxy. This is unforgivable in a game that was supposed to be about making decisions.

Rest of the game is still really amazing though.

Edit: woah screwed up my spoiler tag, I really hope no one caught that.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Disargeria posted:

Why is the journal and mail system SO BAD?

If I've forgotten the context of the original conversation, some of the journal missions are impossible to figure out. They also don't update to the current situation and are incredibly vague. Some missions will tell you where to go but others won't. It's like there were 5 different people working on it, and they were all back in the 90's in the day where you bought strategy guides just to be able to complete games because of obscure info.

The mail is also :psyduck: because after reading a message it puts them in some convoluted order and you're left wondering who said what to meet you where, something even Traynor can't even figure out.

The entire game feels shoddy.

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying myself but in the past 2 hours I've gotten stuck into the floor 3 times. Stuck in a cover animation loop and during a defense mission an enemy got stuck underneath the floor making the mission impossible to complete.

I've never encountered so many bugs/glitches in such a short amount of time. Also voices randomly cut out. That lady next to your computer is really bad for that.

gpw11
Oct 22, 2008

Thalamus posted:

I'm playing through the Mass Effect series for the first time, and jumping from 1 to 2 on PC is incredibly frustrating. For instance, the complete removal of any hotkeys to access your journal, codex, or inventory. So rear end backwards. Did they fix this in ME3, or is it more of the same?

Sadly, it kind of gets even worse.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A Hollywood ending wasn't necessary. I'd have liked a giant gently caress-off MGS4 cutscene ending, or the option to have an impossibly happy outcome if I busted my balls for it even if it's not canon. When your character's name is a homophone for "shepherd," then a martyrdom ending is always on the table, so it has nothing to do with the fact that Shepard dies.

Complaints don't need to be based on what it could have been when you can just look at what it was: a non-sequitur followed by a plot hole, then the credits roll.

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

gpw11 posted:

Sadly, it kind of gets even worse.

Why do developers pull this poo poo? You started out developing for PC Bioware, you bastards! :argh:

I can't even mod it like I did with Skyrim :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hah I was just wondering when the Garrus and Tali romance would occur, and I walk in on both of them. That was cute

zoso820
Jun 15, 2006

About the ending

I'm friends with Count Choculitis irl, and had a pretty good conversation with her last night after I beat the game. I was somewhat defending the ending, but she brought me down into something of a middle ground I think.

I did like the ending. Sorry. Bioware is sort of famous for throwing in "o shi-" moments, so I was sort of building this mindset throughout the entire game that no matter what I did, it's not going to end up being okay. Maybe I was just better prepared for something like this happening, that it didn't shock me as much?

In any case, here's why I liked it. After a certain point in that final scene, I realized that my civilization was going to be destroyed, and there was nothing I could do about it. After that point, my mind shifted into helping the next cycle, like what the Protheans did for us. This civilization might fall, but my actions stopped the reapers permanently. Life in the universe is now able to grow and evolve and thrive unhindered. I really did see it as a victory. It saddens me a little that more people didn't see it like I did, because it was extremely epic and beautifully sad to me. The goal in this story has never been about Shepard to me, or his friends, or even his love interest. All of that is expendable. It has always been about stopping the reapers, no matter the cost. And that's exactly what I did. I understand that this is not okay for the vast majority of gamers, because we play these games to be awesome people and feel invincible. But I was extremely impressed when I experienced the ending because I felt it was a really gutsy thing for them to do, to force me to do a real loving sacrifice.

Keep in mind that when I felt all these feels, and when I talked to Choculitis about it, I had NO loving IDEA just how unbelievably livid the gaming community has been over this. I also didn't know the first time watching it that it was the ONLY ENDING. I didn't play multiplayer and I wasn't expecting things to be "perfect," and it all just felt like it was the ending I earned. It fit for me, personally. If I had been expecting more, then I'd be pretty drat pissed off like everyone else, but I felt that this really fit my "canon" playthrough.

That all said -- with the short clip you get with the "perfect" ending, with Shepard under that rubble, I am utterly convinced that it was all a hallucination, Shepard is still down in London, and EAware planned DLC for the "real" ending the whole time. And as giddy as that possibility makes me, it would also mark a whole new low, making it so you can't even complete the goddamn game without paying for "extra" content.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thalamus posted:

Why do developers pull this poo poo? You started out developing for PC Bioware, you bastards! :argh:
On the upside: they have made the game much more linear and removed inventory in ME2 so you need them less.
ME2 runs a lot better then ME, but it lacks really obvious stuff like double clicking and scrolling in emails.
ME3 fixes a lot of these minor things again, though the journal is worse than ME2 on all platforms.

That said if you can find your biotic charge key you are set. :shepface:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Thalamus posted:

I can't even mod it like I did with Skyrim :(

As crappy as it is, the explanation is pretty simple. It's easy to forget everything that is gained by default through a PC over a Console. If you're developing on a console, and are also making a PC version, then your goal is going to be to make sure it will work on both systems and more often then now people are going to forget/dismiss that a PC has dozens upon dozens of "buttons" that can be used but aren't necessary because the console doesn't have all those buttons and gets by just fine.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

zoso820 posted:

About the ending

I'm friends with Count Choculitis irl, and had a pretty good conversation with her last night after I beat the game. I was somewhat defending the ending, but she brought me down into something of a middle ground I think.

I did like the ending. Sorry. Bioware is sort of famous for throwing in "o shi-" moments, so I was sort of building this mindset throughout the entire game that no matter what I did, it's not going to end up being okay. Maybe I was just better prepared for something like this happening, that it didn't shock me as much?

In any case, here's why I liked it. After a certain point in that final scene, I realized that my civilization was going to be destroyed, and there was nothing I could do about it. After that point, my mind shifted into helping the next cycle, like what the Protheans did for us. This civilization might fall, but my actions stopped the reapers permanently. Life in the universe is now able to grow and evolve and thrive unhindered. I really did see it as a victory. It saddens me a little that more people didn't see it like I did, because it was extremely epic and beautifully sad to me. The goal in this story has never been about Shepard to me, or his friends, or even his love interest. All of that is expendable. It has always been about stopping the reapers, no matter the cost. And that's exactly what I did. I understand that this is not okay for the vast majority of gamers, because we play these games to be awesome people and feel invincible. But I was extremely impressed when I experienced the ending because I felt it was a really gutsy thing for them to do, to force me to do a real loving sacrifice.

Keep in mind that when I felt all these feels, and when I talked to Choculitis about it, I had NO loving IDEA just how unbelievably livid the gaming community has been over this. I also didn't know the first time watching it that it was the ONLY ENDING. I didn't play multiplayer and I wasn't expecting things to be "perfect," and it all just felt like it was the ending I earned. It fit for me, personally. If I had been expecting more, then I'd be pretty drat pissed off like everyone else, but I felt that this really fit my "canon" playthrough.

That all said -- with the short clip you get with the "perfect" ending, with Shepard under that rubble, I am utterly convinced that it was all a hallucination, Shepard is still down in London, and EAware planned DLC for the "real" ending the whole time. And as giddy as that possibility makes me, it would also mark a whole new low, making it so you can't even complete the goddamn game without paying for "extra" content.

Pretty much how I felt.

First time: HOLY loving GOD that was awesome!

I restarted the mission because I actually for some bone headed reason didn't choose the option I wanted.

Second time: :what:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

zoso820 posted:

About the ending

I feel like I'm going to wake up shortly to the sudden realization that mass effect 3 is still 3 months out and it's only December. And it will still have an utterly poo poo ending.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I honestly think the ending would have been better if the reapers just killed Shepard with that laser shot at the end, and we were shown a sad montage of the reapers destroying planets. I still would have had the same small problems, in regards to it taking away all meaning from your actions and choices throughout the 3 games, which hurts replay desirability. But atleast it would have felt more thematically consistent, and wouldn't have had all the WTFBS that the actual ending had. Instead of actually mad about a video game ending, I would have been just like "Ah well that's a shame, great game though."

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

nessin posted:

As crappy as it is, the explanation is pretty simple. It's easy to forget everything that is gained by default through a PC over a Console. If you're developing on a console, and are also making a PC version, then your goal is going to be to make sure it will work on both systems and more often then now people are going to forget/dismiss that a PC has dozens upon dozens of "buttons" that can be used but aren't necessary because the console doesn't have all those buttons and gets by just fine.

Yeah, I get that they need the UI to work for a controller, and that consoles are the primary platform these days, but honestly how difficult can it be to add in a few hotkeys? It just seems super loving lazy.

On the other hand this exact topic has been done to death pretty much everywhere, so I'll stop derailing.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Shepard (or at least FemShep) has a really goofy run animation when your in casual clothes, swinging her arms from side to side like a retard.

Also, it's very funny to walk as slowly as you can since it makes Shepard walk in super slo-mo.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LibbyM posted:

I honestly think the ending would have been better if the reapers just killed Shepard with that laser shot at the end, and we were shown a sad montage of the reapers destroying planets. I still would have had the same small problems, in regards to it taking away all meaning from your actions and choices throughout the 3 games, which hurts replay desirability. But atleast it would have felt more thematically consistent, and wouldn't have had all the WTFBS that the actual ending had. Instead of actually mad about a video game ending, I would have been just like "Ah well that's a shame, great game though."

Or Shep dies running to the beam, and the player then takes control of some dumbass private who lucks his way onto the Citadel and has to decide the fate of the galaxy.

Or maybe the ME3 team could have quit and replaced with people able to support alternate endings.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

zoso820 posted:

About the ending

Here's how I see it:

If someone had asked my Shepard if she would do it all again, knowing what she does now, she wouldn't say yes. And that just strikes me as a terrible ending.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Charlie Mopps posted:

But yeah, im afraid im kinda Biowares target group, because i love seeing cutscenes and talking to people and forming relationships in games, instead of blowing up poo poo.

Me too. The dialog wheel doing a convincing job of giving me the illusion of directing conversations is why I love ME1 and 2. It's a shame that they virtually removed it for ME3, and just leave me watching cutscenes like one of the worse Final Fantasy games instead.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

My alternate ending: Corporal Jenkins awakes with a start and realizes he just dreamed the entire series while awaiting the start of their mission to Eden Prime.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Noxville posted:

My alternate ending: Corporal Jenkins awakes with a start and realizes he just dreamed the entire series while awaiting the start of their mission to Eden Prime.

And still dies getting shot in the dick by geth drones.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

^^ Still a better ending than the actual game.

Re the dialogue wheel. I think that it worked better if you only played the games once, you get a much better illusion of directing conversation. I didn't mind the lack of dialogue wheel in me3 because I'd gone and replayed the past 2 and knew how little it mattered anyway. If I had only done one playthrough of eachgame I would have been pretty sad about it missing from 3.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

The ending is a metaphor for the rapture.

That's all you need to know to hate it.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

zoso820 posted:

About the ending

The goal in this story has never been about Shepard to me, or his friends, or even his love interest. All of that is expendable. It has always been about stopping the reapers, no matter the cost.

This is the biggest difference between people like you and people like me. I could not possibly disagree more with that assertion. The Mass Effect series, for me, has always been a character driven one about my Shepard and his squad. The reapers, to me, have always been little more than a plot macguffin or something, just a conflict to drive the characters forward.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
The one thing I didn't get about the ending is that they're clearly three seperate tiers of the future, but when you select a higher tier you get the same exact "ending" as the previous tier.

Ignoring the "everyone is dead" ending, you've got:

Kill all synthetics = All civilization regressed to the stone age. The actual final scene does a good job reflecting this with the Normandy crashing and the crew leaving to see a unpopulated/undeveloped world.

Control the Reapers = Yeah, you lose the Mass Relays, but all your support infrastructure is still in place, and you've got the Reapers technology on top of all that. In theory you'll eventually learn to create new Mass Relays or develop whatever technology was used to originally transport whoever created the relays around. But what do we get? Crew standing over unpopulated/undeveloped world.

Synthesis = Whole new reality where everyone is faster, stronger, smarter, and potentially interconnected. Imagine the possibilities! What do we get? Crew standing over unpopulated/underdeveloped world.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
How the hell do you return to the stone age by destroying all Reapers and robots?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CaptainCarrot posted:

How the hell do you return to the stone age by destroying all Reapers and robots?

No more mass effect fields.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

CaptainCarrot posted:

If the conversations in all the hospitals since Me1 are to be believed, drat near everyone is at least partially synthetic these days. Definitely not to the level Shepard is, but artificial organs, limbs, bones, etc are commonplace, which is to say nothing of cybernetic implants which every single person on the Normandy has(meaning they are all dead now). It's going to be drat hard to recover from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No more mass effect fields.

You mean no more mass relays.

• Locked thread