Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Mike Gamble, on the From Ashes DLC controversy: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/gcijat

quote:

I've posted a summarized response on the BSN, but i wanted to give some more details on the 'From Ashes' development. As we've seen recently, our fans are extremely passionate and we have a great deal of respect for you.

ME3 was a labour of love for the dev team. To finish a game like ME3, it literally takes months of intense bug fixing and certification. At this point, our goal is to polish the game to an extremely high quality – not to add extra content. You hopefully see a lot of that polish in ME3.

During that certification time, we had a small team of developers begin to craft the ‘From Ashes’ content, with the intent to finish production on it long after ME3 was out of our hands as a dev team.

However, because the plot of ME3 is so richly interwoven with the character interactions and moments, you simply cannot use a DLC module to ‘insert’ a new character. As we've mentioned before, that character has to be planned and the framework has to be established ahead of time for us to build off of with the DLC module. You may have seen a similar framework developed in ME2 for the Zaeed and Kasumi characters. We wanted Javik to be a fully featured squad member, with deep dialogue throughout the game – and we needed him to be accessible via the character selection GUI (which you cannot simply ‘overwrite’ with DLC). Thus, certain elements of the Javik appearance and some of the VO needed to be included on the disc. That is a fact. But that doesn’t mean the content was created, and then removed. It is a necessity of adding a rich character presence in our game.

That, however, is the extent of it. As mentioned above, the DLC is over 600 mb. The DLC data holds the mission itself, the cinematic flashback moments, the cinematic dialogue interactions with Javik, his weapon, the appearances for squad members… everything that makes the adventure a cohesive experience. 'From Ashes' is not Javik’s character model. It is the story of finding the last remaining Prothean, and how his tale interweaves with Commander Shepard’s as he struggles to destroy the Reaper threat.

Thanks for listening.

I can respect that, and this is pretty much what I expected. What bums me out is that Javik's dialogue is so important to parts of the story (mainly Thessia), and I wish that information was accessible to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bongo Bill posted:

You mean no more mass relays.

It was a joke because the standard explanation for most plot inconsistencies including variable bust sizes of female characters is "mass effect fields".

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

You mean no more mass relays.

Kid-god said that destroying synthetics would also destroy "most of the technology you use."

He also points out that Shepard is part synthetic, but Shep dies in an explosion anyway, so who gives a poo poo?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Is this good or bad? What's your opinion here?

It reads like you're being negative, but Hollywood soundtracks are normally incredibly well composed, well recorded and effecting works, not something that is thrown together as a .midi file and tossed into the background of a scene.

It overuses that Inception horn (that it overused to the point it popularized it) in too many songs, and there's something to be said about each track sounding "epic". You start to become numbed to the actual tracks and find that because of such, most of the tracks blend into each other and become less iconic and more derivative of each other. There's a few standout tracks sure, but I find it tended to be the tracks that played while actually evicting an emotion out of the player after playing the game.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Guys, teaming up with Gibbed, I went combing through some unused data in the ME3 install. We actually found an in-game cutscene of a different ending where Anderson is saved, and you get to see what happens with the rest of the crew on Earth. It was obviously unfinished, I'm guessing due to time constraints, but I think it would have been a lot better received:

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 12, 2012

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Anal Tributary posted:

and we needed him to be accessible via the character selection GUI (which you cannot simply ‘overwrite’ with DLC)

BULLSHIT

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Noxville posted:

BULLSHIT

Kasumi and Zaieed (or however it's spelled) both had files on disc for the same reason.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Anal Tributary posted:

Kasumi and Zaieed (or however it's spelled) both had files on disc for the same reason.

Hell, people were pulling files and information about Kasumi out of the ME2 disc months before that DLC was even announced.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Noxville posted:

BULLSHIT
That reason is one of the more reasonable ones really, keep in mind that while PC's might have an easy way (overwrite a file, done) consoles and the nature of the engine might make this more complicated.
Also see: Lack of mods for ME1 and ME2.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Anal Tributary posted:

Yes, for the same reason, that they wanted people to pay for things that should have shipped with the game. Or maybe the reason is their incompetence at programming, who could say.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Anal Tributary posted:

Mike Gamble, on the From Ashes DLC controversy: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/gcijat

I can respect that, and this is pretty much what I expected. What bums me out is that Javik's dialogue is so important to parts of the story (mainly Thessia), and I wish that information was accessible to everyone.

If I didn't know any better, the actions beats indicated you were supposed to take him on a majority of the missions.

Ashes was some dirty pool EA.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It overuses that Inception horn (that it overused to the point it popularized it) in too many songs

Are you sure you're not talking about the sound effect for the Reapers? Because the big ones have the 'twang' for their beam weapon, but also the blaring electronic sound.

IIRC the Hades cannon in London uses the same sound when it fires its gun.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Anal Tributary posted:

1) Still doesn't address Bioware's stance that he's unimportant. They spent time and effort during the development of the base game to flesh out this character, and then go on to claim that he's unimportant? I don't know what's worse, spending extra time during development to specifically make a character unimportant, or that someone would entertain that idea to start with.

2) Also doesn't address that if, as most defenders of Bioware will jump to scream, they were interested in developing content after the game was finalized, why did it have to be a day 1 DLC unimportant character instead of day 180 or 270 significant small expansion pack?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Veotax posted:

Hell, people were pulling files and information about Kasumi out of the ME2 disc months before that DLC was even announced.

And interestingly the cinematics and such were there but the actual character model wasn't. It makes sense that it they were both "half done".

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Anal Tributary posted:

This is exactly what Bethesda did with Skyrim. All of Cyrodil is rendered and mapped in the game release so that they have the framework in place for future DLC they want to do.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Are you sure you're not talking about the sound effect for the Reapers? Because the big ones have the 'twang' for their beam weapon, but also the blaring electronic sound.

IIRC the Hades cannon in London uses the same sound when it fires its gun.

No it's in the soundtrack. I listened to the cd twice now.

That beam sound the big guys make is slightly different than the inception horn thing, from what I can tell.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Small nagging questions: I told kaiden to go be a specter somewhere else. Does he join the team?

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 12, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

nessin posted:

Also doesn't address that if, as most defenders of Bioware will jump to scream, they were interested in developing content after the game was finalized, why did it have to be a day 1 DLC unimportant character instead of day 180 or 270 significant small expansion pack?

Don't want to defend From Ashes at all (seriously, HOW is this not in the full game?), but their target markets for this DLC would've sold their game/returned it to Gamefly after the day 180/270 mark.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

Don't want to defend From Ashes at all (seriously, HOW is this not in the full game?), but their target markets for this DLC would've sold their game/returned it to Gamefly after the day 180/270 mark.

On the flip side, if it was an expansion to the game then everyone who'd ditched the game would rush out to pick up another copy to buy the expansion. Unless they didn't like the game, at which point they probably didn't buy the DLC anyways.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

nessin posted:

1) Still doesn't address Bioware's stance that he's unimportant. They spent time and effort during the development of the base game to flesh out this character, and then go on to claim that he's unimportant?

Especially since he's not unimportant. There are so many situations where he offers interesting and unique backstory, like pointing out how the asari learned everything from a Prothean 'goddess' or is legitimately useful, like interfacing with the Prothean VI. Basically I can't understand why a character like this wouldn't be part of the main game outside of making extra money off of selling him, and I'll stick to the assumption that he was the DLC character only because the players hadn't met him before. I can't really imagine a playthrough without him and I honestly think that anyone playing without the DLC is missing a part of the core experience.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Just finished the game and I wasn't all that mad about the ending even though it was lame, but then I saw the part after the credits and I just couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculously stupid it was. Holy poo poo.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

Especially since he's not unimportant. There are so many situations where he offers interesting and unique backstory, like pointing out how the asari learned everything from a Prothean 'goddess' or is legitimately useful, like interfacing with the Prothean VI. Basically I can't understand why a character like this wouldn't be part of the main game outside of making extra money off of selling him, and I'll stick to the assumption that he was the DLC character only because the players hadn't met him before. I can't really imagine a playthrough without him and I honestly think that anyone playing without the DLC is missing a part of the core experience.

Not that I disagree,but in my run-through on Thessia Ash was the one pointing out the Prothean-Asari connection. Granted it wasn't more than a lot of "Those look an awful lot like Protheans" or "Goddes? You mean Prothean, right?" but still/

gpw11
Oct 22, 2008
So, what's the stance on From Ashes, anyways? I only bought the standard, retail edition (with free BF3..awesome), should I consider throwing down $10 for the extra mission/character? Does it actually add quite a bit to the story?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Not that I disagree,but in my run-through on Thessia Ash was the one pointing out the Prothean-Asari connection. Granted it wasn't more than a lot of "Those look an awful lot like Protheans" or "Goddes? You mean Prothean, right?" but still/

Your non-Liara partner will always point out the Prothean similarity.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Yo, this game is buggy as poo poo. I can't tell you how many times I've loaded my last save and had my custom shepard erased and reset to the default appearance and reset at level 1. Bioware really knocked it out of the park with this one.

What happened to the people that made ME2? Seems like that one was relatively free of bugs (relatively being the key word)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Noxville posted:

My alternate ending: Corporal Jenkins awakes with a start and realizes he just dreamed the entire series while awaiting the start of their mission to Eden Prime.

The ghost kid should be replaced with Jenkins just to gently caress with everyone.

The KGB Man
Mar 27, 2010

The danger zone of sweetness.

gpw11 posted:

So, what's the stance on From Ashes, anyways? I only bought the standard, retail edition (with free BF3..awesome), should I consider throwing down $10 for the extra mission/character? Does it actually add quite a bit to the story?

I thought it was worth it. Story wise, the extra character doesn't really add much basically just revealing that protheans were dicks and the mission to get him is pretty standard gun and defend mission.

The best part of the DLC I thought was just the conversations you have with the character on the ship and while he is in your party. Made it all worth while for me.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So which shotgun do people prefer for vanguards?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

astr0man posted:

The lightest one, more charging. :shepface:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

astr0man posted:

The Geth one I got about midway through the game seemed incredible. Not sure what the best balance between lightness and damage is, but it seemed close. Just make sure to reload before you charge, since it's like a 3-bullet clip.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Use the Disciple. If it's good enough for Asari Commandos and Justicars, it's good enough for Shepard.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Kongming posted:

Just finished the game and I wasn't all that mad about the ending even though it was lame, but then I saw the part after the credits and I just couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculously stupid it was. Holy poo poo.

What happens?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Psyker posted:

This is exactly what Bethesda did with Skyrim. All of Cyrodil is rendered and mapped in the game release so that they have the framework in place for future DLC they want to do.

That's a little different from adding a new character to the select screen. It would have been easy to simply make the screen extensible so that any other characters they add could lot in, and that statement that I quoted just rubs me completely the wrong way because it's transparently bullshit.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Schubalts posted:

Use the Disciple. If it's good enough for Asari Commandos and Justicars, it's good enough for Shepard.

Personally, I've just been sticking with the good ol' Eviscerator.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

astr0man posted:

I bought the Wraith and enjoyed that. It's a more powerful Eviscerator, but lighter and only one less shot before reloading.

But really, what I found is go with the guns that you have fun with.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

What happens?

A man and child are standing in some snowy field and the man just finished telling the child the story about Shepard. The child says "tell me another story about the Shepard" and the man says "Well okay..."

It's really really poorly voiced too. I was cracking up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Noxville posted:

It would have been easy to simply make the screen extensible so that any other characters they add could lot in, and that statement that I quoted just rubs me completely the wrong way because it's transparently bullshit.

Its not necessarily a lie. Never say that something "would have been easy to" when dealing with 7+ year old code bases. One bad design decision 7+ years ago could make things complicated.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kongming posted:

A man and child are standing in some snowy field and the man just finished telling the child the story about Shepard. The child says "tell me another story about the Shepard" and the man says "Well okay..."

It's really really poorly voiced too. I was cracking up.

I think the guy being voiced by Buzz Aldrin was pretty neat, but yeah the kid does a terrible job. What a shock.

That's probably the thing I hate the least about the ending though. It's touching if you ignore the bullshit that came before it. The music helps a lot.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Internet Kraken posted:

I think the guy being voiced bu Buzz Aldrin was pretty neat, but yeah the kid does a terrible job. What a shock.

That's probably the thing I hate the least about the ending though. It's touching if you ignore the bullshit that came before it. The music helps a lot.

Buzz Aldrin narrated it as though he was reading a storybook to his grandchildren before their bedtime.

It was really grating, but it's Buzz Aldrin so I found it hard to give a poo poo v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Vincent Valentine posted:

The ending is a metaphor for the rapture.

That's all you need to know to hate it.

It makes sense, as my Shepard chose... Earth.

A planet where the organic would not fear the synthetic,
where the Quarians would not be bound by petty morality,
where the humans would not be constrained by the Council.

And with the colour of your explosion, Earth can become your planet, as well.

• Locked thread