Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Orgophlax posted:

Here's a nerd conundrum I've never figured out. The wrists on LEGO figures are not in the center of the hand, so there's a larger area on one side. Do you spin the larger area so that it's on top or bottom?

I think flat/large on top makes more sense: the larger flat-topped section could resemble a thumb and index finger grasping whatever is in the minifigure's hand. Also, if you put your hand in a karate-chop position, the thumb and index finger extend further above the wrist than the pinky extends below the wrist.

I've always had the large area on top, as long as I can remember, unless there was an accessory/weapon that was awkward for a minifigure to hold the normal way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Orgophlax posted:

Here's a nerd conundrum I've never figured out. The wrists on LEGO figures are not in the center of the hand, so there's a larger area on one side. Do you spin the larger area so that it's on top or bottom?

Flat goes on top. Try to shape your fingers like a Lego hand and you'll get it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I picked up the Dino seaplane set today, and it was a fun easy build while I watched Archer. Two things struck me though.

One, it doesn't mention anywhere that the little jetski clips onto the back of the plane, and two, it feels really unfinished underneath. I'm not really sure why the two outer long yellow struts are there, jutting out the back of the wings, but it feels like there should be something underneath them, filling then in, not just the hollow piece on its own.

Other than that, it's pretty nifty, and I adore seaplanes :3:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Thanks for the advice. The modular buildings like nice, but I'm only looking to spend around $100 (before shipping + tax), so I might go for the village.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

The_Doctor posted:

I picked up the Dino seaplane set today, and it was a fun easy build while I watched Archer. Two things struck me though.

The combination of watching Archer and the pieces in that set should have led to a sweet swamp air-boat MOC.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just got done building the Lighthouse set. This may be my favourite generic set right now. Its just got a really cool design to it, and the colour choices are great.

drat, that is a really nice set. It seems like a great build and it'd be easy to hell to modify or add onto. How much was it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gravy Jones posted:

The combination of watching Archer and the pieces in that set should have led to a sweet swamp air-boat MOC.

Of an awesome and rear end-kicking nature. :D

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Funkmaster General posted:

Flat goes on top. Try to shape your fingers like a Lego hand and you'll get it.

It's upside down way too often in official Lego media and prepackaged figured tho >:/

Got Winter Village Post Office earlier today for $55 at the Indy (Castleton Square) Lego store, they had a few in the back corner by The Wall. Didn't actually get anything from the wall, though I was tempted to fill a cup with scorpions.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Just got back from Brickworld Indy. I'll get pictures up tomorrow, but I'm seconding that the MTron table was loving amazing.

My daughter helped with one of the mosaics, but we got a crap section of Spongebob Squarepants... so much yellow.

Regardless, glad I made the trip, and I'm looking forward to Chicago now!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

VaultAggie posted:

drat, that is a really nice set. It seems like a great build and it'd be easy to hell to modify or add onto. How much was it?

I'm in Canada, so I think it was $60-something. It's in the Creator line too, so it has two alternate builds as well; a boat launch shack and a mini seafood-shack. The lighthouse build is by far the most impressive though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Saint Sputnik posted:

It's upside down way too often in official Lego media and prepackaged figured tho >:/

That confused me so much as a kid.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

VaultAggie posted:

The best part is the way they used an LED block, reflective stickers, and a crank to make it not only light up but allow you to make it spin around. Looks great in the dark.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I got the lighthouse just last week. It's very nice, I really like those lego seagulls and as said the way the light in the lighthouse works is pretty ingenious.

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

Decided to take a look at the ancient Big Rubbermaid Tub of Lego in the basement and see what sets are still down there. I found a few instruction manuals so I can confirm that I still have:

6077 Forestmen's River Fortress
6071 Forestmen's Crossing
6086 Black Knight's Castle
6081 King's Mountain Fortress

And in their own boxes I have:
4504 Millennium Falcon (not the rare expensive one)
6093 Flying Ninja Fortress
7317 Aero Tube Hangar

There's at least 10 more smaller sets mixed in the tub that I haven't found the manuals for. I managed to find a few police, M-Tron, and Blacktron minifigs in there, though, so that's promising. Over the next few weeks I'm going to start putting sets together and making sure I have the pieces for everything. After that they're getting bagged separately and tucked deep into the basement. I'll make sure to post pics of the completed sets since I'm sure you'll all enjoy the nostalgia factor.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
I'm buying a friend of mine a gift for her birthday and I'm stuck between two choices. On one hand, she likes Harry Potter Lego so I'm looking at the Diagon Alley set which seems pretty sweet. On the other hand she also likes the Tower Bridge. Any one know if the extra 70 or so dollars is worth it for the Tower Bridge over the Diagon Alley?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That choice can be solved with one question: How much does she love cheese slopes?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Crazy Pigeon posted:

I'm buying a friend of mine a gift for her birthday and I'm stuck between two choices. On one hand, she likes Harry Potter Lego so I'm looking at the Diagon Alley set which seems pretty sweet. On the other hand she also likes the Tower Bridge. Any one know if the extra 70 or so dollars is worth it for the Tower Bridge over the Diagon Alley?

Unless this friend routinely buys you gifts costing hundreds and hundreds of dollars, neither. Get her something smaller, much smaller, or you will embarrass her, her other friends and yourself, and appear - perhaps correctly - like you are trying to purchase her affections with plastic toys. Doing so will make you feel like the biggest goon in the entire universe in about a year when you realise this and you will never want to touch Lego again.

Even if she does shower you with generosity that you should reciprocate, most women appreciate thoughtfulness more than extravagance. Get something that would remind her of some inside joke, something you did together or some thing with personal meaning for her beyond just 'liking' some franchise or building. If Lego makes a set that fits, buy that. If not, find something else.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

chaosbreather posted:

Unless this friend routinely buys you gifts costing hundreds and hundreds of dollars, neither. Get her something smaller, much smaller, or you will embarrass her, her other friends and yourself, and appear - perhaps correctly - like you are trying to purchase her affections with plastic toys. Doing so will make you feel like the biggest goon in the entire universe in about a year when you realise this and you will never want to touch Lego again.

Even if she does shower you with generosity that you should reciprocate, most women appreciate thoughtfulness more than extravagance. Get something that reminds her of some inside joke, something you did together or some thing with personal meaning for her beyond just 'liking' some franchise or building. If Lego makes a set that fits, buy that. If not, find something else.

This isn't e/n and this is all just conjecture.

Crazy Pigeon: Get the tower bridge if you know she legitimately loves lego because it's a stunning set and would also fit perfectly with her existing Harry Potter lego.

Unless everything choasbreather said is actually true...

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Gravy Jones posted:

Thankfully those sets only come with dinosaurs and not alligators.

Or crocodiles.

(or brain aneurysms)

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

Even if she does shower you with generosity that you should reciprocate, most women appreciate thoughtfulness more than extravagance. Get something that would remind her of some inside joke, something you did together or some thing with personal meaning for her beyond just 'liking' some franchise or building. If Lego makes a set that fits, buy that. If not, find something else.

She's been a very good friend to me for almost 12 years now and we've bought each other Lego sets for around a good 9 years now. Also, I already feel like the biggest goon in the universe already so no problems there. Our friends already see us as huge Lego nerds so I don't really worry about that either. I'd just like to keep up the tradition we've had for a while now (plus I'll probably get her something else nice too). But if this does somehow make me want to never touch Lego again, I'll be sure to give them all away on SA.

In other news, consensus seems to be Tower Bridge so far! Off I go to the Lego Store!

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Crazy Pigeon posted:

She's been a very good friend to me for almost 12 years now and we've bought each other Lego sets for around a good 9 years now. Also, I already feel like the biggest goon in the universe already so no problems there. Our friends already see us as huge Lego nerds so I don't really worry about that either. I'd just like to keep up the tradition we've had for a while now (plus I'll probably get her something else nice too). But if this does somehow make me want to never touch Lego again, I'll be sure to give them all away on SA.

In other news, consensus seems to be Tower Bridge so far! Off I go to the Lego Store!

Aww, you're Lego nerd friends! The Tower Bridge is totally appropriate then, buy with confidence.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Crazy Pigeon posted:

Sounds like an awesome friend, she'll be blown away by the bridge.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Got the Alien Conquest Mothership today. Kmart (Australia) had it on clearance for $59. It's my first Alien Conquest set, but after putting it together today it definitely won't be my last. It's just filled with awesome unusual pieces and even though it only has 2 minifigs the alien general guy is super elaborate with all these separate pieces: slimy tentacle with sockets for slotting a standard torso, torso, sweet 60s ray gun, shoulder tassels, sweet plastic-cloth-whatever cape, totally unmarked transparent mini fig head, separate face, separate brain. The reporter is two-faced and pretty hilarious, especially with the included adorable alien brain sucker hat. They're just so detailed and madcap I spent about ten minutes just enjoying that poo poo, immersed in the MST3K goodness that the theme oozes.

The thing about the actual set that struck me is they seem to include awesome pieces for basically no reason: there's a bunch of technic that doesn't seem to do anything except reinforce things that don't really need to be reinforced as far as I can see.

Admittedly I just rediscovered Lego like a few weeks ago (from Tested) so there is very much to learn about the actual engineering of it but there are times where it seems almost wasteful: the outer ring (I keep wanting to call it the docking ring) is made from train tracks, which are from what I understand pretty tricky to get. This wastefulness makes it awesome, but its really different from the 2 other sets I've assembled, the X-wing and the TIE fighter. It seems for those sets every brick has a purpose, usually more like two. I don't know, it's just a feeling I get.

Other incredibly minor things: it's a bit small to be called a mothership. It can only fit one guy in there with the dome closed and even then only if he's not holding his immensely excellent 60s ray-gun. The sound brick thing is pure dumb. The tractor claw arm is a little too short and the claw requires manual closing rather than some kind of ingenious spring loaded thing. Moreover, there are only three claws on it, which means they tried to divide the octagon it is based on into thirds, with disastrously asymmetrical results.

All of this is offset by the inclusion of an extra microphone so suddenly it's the Star Wars Holiday Special over by my X-wing and TIE fighter. When the package I ordered arrives this week there shall no doubt be a duet with Han Solo in carbonite and Boba Fett getting his brains sucked out. Ahh, Lego.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

chaosbreather posted:

Admittedly I just rediscovered Lego like a few weeks ago (from Tested) so there is very much to learn about the actual engineering of it but there are times where it seems almost wasteful: the outer ring (I keep wanting to call it the docking ring) is made from train tracks, which are from what I understand pretty tricky to get. This wastefulness makes it awesome, but its really different from the 2 other sets I've assembled, the X-wing and the TIE fighter. It seems for those sets every brick has a purpose, usually more like two. I don't know, it's just a feeling I get.

I think you're encountering what is also known as "greebling". A definition off the internet: the use of textures and shapes on a surface for no other reason that to break up the surface area and give a sense of complexity. So it does have a purpose, it's just that on the licensed sets is serves a different purpose as there is an implicit goal of the finished product looking like the item it's based on. The same applies, it's just that when you see this stuff on a X-Wing you it feels like it should be the because it makes it look more like an X-wing.

Also keep in mind that existing parts are not "tricky" to get as far as The Lego Group is concerned. In terms of expense they'll always prefer to re-use and existing part than create a new one.

In other news the Creator T-Rex just dropped to 30% off in the UK and this seemed like a pretty good deal for putting in the cupboard for a rainy day. So I grabbed one. My first Creator set. I really like the houses, but haven't got one yet.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 12, 2012

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Gravy Jones posted:

I think you're encountering what is also known as "greebling". A definition off the internet: the use of textures and shapes on a surface for no other reason that to break up the surface area and give a sense of complexity. So it does have a purpose, it's just that on the licensed sets is serves a different purpose as there is an implicit goal of the finished product looking like the item it's based on. The same applies, it's just that when you see this stuff on a X-Wing you it feels like it should be the because it makes it look more like an X-wing.

Also keep in mind that existing parts are not "tricky" to get as far as The Lego Group is concerned. In terms of expense they'll always prefer to re-use and existing part than create a new one.

That is a fantastic word and while I can definitely see the point and appreciate the subtle artistry of surface gruelling, there is stuff on the underside that is for the most part blocked pretty much all the time that just plugs into something without seemingly doing anything. I might well be very mistaken on any of those points though.

And yeah, I imagine it is all the same material-wise to the Lego Group. I'm just more delightedly surprised at the sheer barefaced ingenuity of using train track as a flying saucer ring. That kind of thing is really why I'm finding myself getting into Lego now. I don't know if it's a return to the 'old ways' like some people are saying - growing up I never was able to get much Lego and was too dumb to appreciate it even if I had it. But it's that insight that makes me smile so hard: the fingerprints of madcap improvisational genius for the Mothership and sort of precise ground-up technical mastery for the X-Wing, and the contrast for me makes it sweeter.

I don't know if that's just an illusion from the valley of naivety, though. Anyone else feel like different sets have different attitudes or fundamental design philosophies?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

To this day I regret only grabbing one set of the Creator gator.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Those Forestmen were my favorite thing in the world when I was a kid. They some how managed to show up in the police station, in outer space, on pirate ships, and of course to siege every single castle ever.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

SynthOrange posted:

To this day I regret only grabbing one set of the Creator gator.

Those clicky ball sockets the legs are on are really good. It's one of the reasons I got the T-Rex, a lot of the build techniques looked similar to the Sphinx I just built. It's been played with loads and it's just rock solid and the joints and points of articulation look the same on the T-rex (and to a lesser extent this croc). I had, in contrast, a lot of issues with a couple of Atlantis and Ninjago sets that are built around a Technic core. The core itself would be solid but the bricks around it prone to explosive removal from that core when any "play feature" was used.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I love the creator gator, when people came over they would always pick it up and being facinated by it.

The creator T-rex is lovely too, I had to build it the day I saw it and bought it. Right now it is assembled and slowing the invasion of alien walkers and has his trusty farmer helper on its back.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
:siren:Marvel sets are now up for pre-order.:siren:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Merchant of Death posted:

I love the creator gator, when people came over they would always pick it up and being facinated by it.

The creator T-rex is lovely too, I had to build it the day I saw it and bought it. Right now it is assembled and slowing the invasion of alien walkers and has his trusty farmer helper on its back.

In that vein the upcoming Ninjago viper (set # 9450) is really cool as well:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Monster w21 Faces posted:

:siren:Marvel sets are now up for pre-order.:siren:

Complete with DC Super Heroes branding and page titles :D

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Thanks for the advice. The modular buildings like nice, but I'm only looking to spend around $100 (before shipping + tax), so I might go for the village.
The Mini Modular set is pretty cool.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Gravy Jones posted:

Complete with DC Super Heroes branding and page titles :D

Holy poo poo, if I was a Marvel exec, I'd be screaming into a phone right now and wouldn't stop until Lego changed that or I died. Hell, even if I died, I'd keep screaming into the phone from beyond the grave.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

The Mini Modular set is pretty cool.

Hm, I don't see them listed on the Lego site. They do look pretty cool, but I think I'll still go for the village.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

Anyone else feel like different sets have different attitudes or fundamental design philosophies?

I see this, large sets usually have a lead designer, and I'm pretty sure product lines have a lead designer too. As long as the designers follow LEGO law; no illegal techniques, and can stand up to a child's play (sometimes debatable) they are probably given plenty of leeway in design. Also look at some of the city stuff and you will see it says "Modular Build, Easy Start" This shows that the line is aimed at a younger demographic and has easy build techniques and minimal SNOT (Studs Not on Top) techniques.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

chaosbreather posted:

I don't know if that's just an illusion from the valley of naivety, though. Anyone else feel like different sets have different attitudes or fundamental design philosophies?

I know exactly what you mean. Particularly in the Creator line you can see dozens of amazingly creative design ideas put to use. I'm not much of a fan of the models, I always take them apart fairly quickly to get the pieces back but even in the tiniest sets you can find little details that almost act as a tutorial for more advanced techniques so they're always worth building at least once.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ChesterJT posted:

That building in Malaysia whose name I can't remember right now.

Closeup

Ha, I thought the normal Burj Khalifa was a fairly tedious build.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Joramun posted:

In that vein the upcoming Ninjago viper (set # 9450) is really cool as well:

Oh look, it's a Ninjago set I'll actually buy. He can do battle with my Pharaoh's cobra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Okay, here's my pics from Brickworld Indy. I am a bad person and didn't note the designers. Apologies if this is stuff we've had in the thread before. I tried to post stuff that aren't repeats from Fort Wayne, too. (There was some overlap, especially in the large-scale scenes, but it wasn't terrible.)

These first three were from the same guy, and they were right by the front door.

This dude had probably half a dozen (or more) steamshovels and large diggers. This one was the image that turned out the best, but it certainly wasn't the largest model he displayed.

Inside shot of the Lucas Oil Stadium. I could only get a couple decent shots because of the god drat Colts fans (and being only across the train tracks from the actual stadium.)

Large-scale medieval/steampunk fantasy mashup. It was very Final Fantasy-ish. I didn't get any good shots of the mages/wizards battling it out. :(

These three are the MTron table. The second shot is the backside of the the MTron logo, a motorized drilling machine.

Like I said earlier, I can't wait for Chicago, as I understand there should be about double the floor space. I'm hoping there are a lot more displays like these... especially MTron. :black101: