Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Zedd posted:

That reason is one of the more reasonable ones really, keep in mind that while PC's might have an easy way (overwrite a file, done) consoles and the nature of the engine might make this more complicated.
Also see: Lack of mods for ME1 and ME2.
This is true.

(UE3 is actually a huge piece of poo poo when it comes to modding, despite what you may think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/configuration-4th-panel This is great.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love

Eames36 posted:

I'm playing on PC, is anyone else having issues with their sound in the game? At times character dialogue or sound effects will sound very low, while other times, almost at random the sound will blast. I saw some posts on the BIOware forums but haven't been able to locate a solution.

Options>Sound>Dynamic Range>Set to low.

Scarf Ace
Jul 21, 2006

keep it clean
Just a quick question that I'm sure has been asked a billion times, but there's alot of spoilers over the last few pages so I'm afraid to look too carefully: My total military strength is at 6398, and my effective at 3582. Am I right in reading the OP that I need my effective strength to be 5000+? It's sort of confusing because the bar is completely green.

Also somewhat related, how well signposted is the ending sequence? I remember ME2 did a pretty good job of telling you what the point of no return was, I just wanna know when I should pause and play a bunch of multiplayer to get my galactic readiness (or whatever) up.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
You need 4k effective assets for the best ending if you did all paragon or all renegade chat options with TIM. 5k if you didn't.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You only need 5000+ to get a 5 second extra scene for a single ending. You have enough to get every ending minus that one tiny scene.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
he has enough for that scene too assuming he did all his paragon/renegade checks with tim.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

fookolt posted:

For Biotic Pinball Vanguard, I have a whole bunch of points left after maxing out Biotic Charge, Nova, Assault Mastery, Fitness, Incendiary Ammo, and Slam (and 1 point in Pull)...What should I use them on?

Nova? Pull? Shockwave?

I never used shockwave the entire game and I only used pull on guardians to remove their shields.

Biotic Charge and Nova is all you need really. By the time the Nova animation is done your Charge should be ready if you are going low weight. The only things I didn't charge into were Banshees since they seemed to always grab me and one shot me after my charge. About halfway through the game I stopped bothering to shoot anything since it wasn't even necessary (except for Banshees).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Scarf Ace posted:

Just a quick question that I'm sure has been asked a billion times, but there's alot of spoilers over the last few pages so I'm afraid to look too carefully: My total military strength is at 6398, and my effective at 3582. Am I right in reading the OP that I need my effective strength to be 5000+? It's sort of confusing because the bar is completely green.

Also somewhat related, how well signposted is the ending sequence? I remember ME2 did a pretty good job of telling you what the point of no return was, I just wanna know when I should pause and play a bunch of multiplayer to get my galactic readiness (or whatever) up.

If your EMS is over 2800 (I think is the exact number, but you easily pass it), you have access to all the endings. One of the endings can be slightly modified by having more EMS: depending on certain actions you've taken throughout the game and will perform during the ending, either 4000 or 5000 is the threshold for the change.

I recommend you proceed boldly to the endgame.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

RBA Starblade posted:

From Ashes is really, really low value for how much it cost. I beat it in less than a hour and a half. Slam better be worth it.
The mission to get him sucks but he adds a lot to the ship and is generally an interesting character. It's fun to see him interact with the rest of the crew.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Scarf Ace posted:

I would like to know this as well, before I hit the point of no return. Haven't touched multiplayer yet, but plan on it before ending at some point.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Someone brought this up in chat, and I was a bit mindblown by its, even if it is a coincidence:

Arachnid

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

68k posted:

I would like to know this as well, before I hit the point of no return. Haven't touched multiplayer yet, but plan on it before ending at some point.

Hackett will directly tell you when you get to the point of no return.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Due to lack of free time I only just started the game. It really sucks that they're trying to make you play online to up your effective strength. It's bad enough I don't have the dlc due to my shoddy net connection, now I'm on something akin to a pokemon hunt to get/find nearly everything to "win" the game properly since I won't/can't go multiplayer.

Hopefully I won't get let down by the ending that everyone seems to be alluding to so far.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

astr0man posted:

Hackett will directly tell you when you get to the point of no return.

Is it when you're about to assault TIM? Because he makes a point to say, "make sure you're definitely ready before heading out," but this doesn't quite feel like the end.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Quick question: Blood Dragon Armor has +30% power damage.

Does this apply to my drone and turret damage?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

68k posted:

Is it when you're about to assault TIM? Because he makes a point to say, "make sure you're definitely ready before heading out," but this doesn't quite feel like the end.

Yeah, it is.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

68k posted:

That's not the end, but it is the point of no return.

Lofidelity Media
Nov 4, 2004

"Its a Strange World...Let's keep it that way."
Just finished it.

Between those those endings as Dragon Age 2, Bioware has utterly and completely lost it. That was loving terrible. Way to make 5 years of game choices boil down to "pick your favorite color".

And way to drop that whole plot thread of stars dying because of dark energy whatevers.

But, hey, I'm sure that got dropped once you saw the income potential of the multiplayer and stopped giving a poo poo, right, Bioware?

loving. Hell.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Man, I would really love an alternate-ending DLC. But to be really cool, it would probably have to be bigger budget than normal DLC.

I'd honestly pay like $15 for a DLC that completely changes the ending. It would be easy to do, too, since after you beat the game, it defaults you right before the assault on cerberus.

Also, screw you people who complained about the leaked ending and made them change it. That would have been WAY better.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

That's not the end, but it is the point of no return.

drat, ok thanks.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Kongming posted:

I never used shockwave the entire game and I only used pull on guardians to remove their shields.

Biotic Charge and Nova is all you need really. By the time the Nova animation is done your Charge should be ready if you are going low weight. The only things I didn't charge into were Banshees since they seemed to always grab me and one shot me after my charge. About halfway through the game I stopped bothering to shoot anything since it wasn't even necessary (except for Banshees).

Yeah that's what I've been doing the whole game; I think I've used firearms like twice in the game.

The Pull+Charge combo is pretty sweet though. I've found that I rarely have to do a Nova after that.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

68k posted:

drat, ok thanks.

You might as well just keep going at this point. After you finish the game, it drops you back to just before you assault TIM so you can do any other stuff you missed/try again with a higher readiness score

I Shot Tupac
Sep 19, 2010

illiniguy01 posted:

The quest/journal systems sucks really bad and is making me want to stop playing.

Yeah so many drat sidequests that it clogs it all up. They should've made it a lot better this game.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Lofidelity Media posted:

Just finished it.

Between those those endings as Dragon Age 2, Bioware has utterly and completely lost it. That was loving terrible. Way to make 5 years of game choices boil down to "pick your favorite color".

And way to drop that whole plot thread of stars dying because of dark energy whatevers.

But, hey, I'm sure that got dropped once you saw the income potential of the multiplayer and stopped giving a poo poo, right, Bioware?

loving. Hell.
Multiplayer has dick to do with the quality of the ending.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Yah the multiplayer is really really good, especially if you have 3 friends to play it with. Spending a night doing Gold difficulty Reaper Runs is more fun than the actual main game.

War Pig
Nov 14, 2007

Civilization is crumbling.
So I tried to get it to work out okay, but the whole Quarian/Geth conflict really ran away from me. Oops.

Scarf Ace
Jul 21, 2006

keep it clean
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll come check in on the thread once I'm done!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

War Pig posted:

So I tried to get it to work out okay, but the whole Quarian/Geth conflict really ran away from me. Oops.

The way the renegade in me sees it, if the quarians are dumb enough to attack the Geth they deserve to get blown to hell. All the ones with half a brain realized how hosed up their government was in ME2 and already broke off from the main fleet.

Shame Tali kills herself over it :smith:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Does nobody seriously remember ME1's "decontamination" procedure? Or the elevators? It's not like this alternative to loading screens thing is new.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Call me crazy, but I liked the elevators in ME1. Though I also found ME3's loading times were so short that nothing of the sort was necessary this time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

The way the renegade in me sees it, if the quarians are dumb enough to attack the Geth they deserve to get blown to hell. All the ones with half a brain realized how hosed up their government was in ME2 and already broke off from the main fleet.

Sort of like in BSG if the colonial fleet got delusional enough to not keep running away.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
My reward for getting the collectors edition.

"What's the deal with the robot dog wandering around?"

"You mean Sophie?"

"Yeah, what does she...do?"

"I like her. But then again I have a fondness for useless dogs which is why I've kept you around."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95SYdjRVCR0

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

How do you actually manage to get her to do this? I've seen a couple of people mention it now and I am curious.

I brokered peace between Geth and Quarian myself, so she was not suicidal.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
So without specifically spoiling the ending but just fore-knowledge that "it sucks" I thought I was well-prepared for it. I was wrong.

At least it meant that I slowed down and did a full completionist playthrough the first time; don't think I'm going to do a second one, which is mind-boggling considering my past experiences with these games.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Monday Averted posted:

How do you actually manage to get her to do this? I've seen a couple of people mention it now and I am curious.

I brokered peace between Geth and Quarian myself, so she was not suicidal.

Side with the Geth. If you met certain conditions you can forge peace between them and get the fleet to stand down, but if not or if you just feel like letting those idiots die then they get slaughtered by the Geth. Tali is wracked with grief upon seeing this and offs herself.

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010

ub posted:

So without specifically spoiling the ending but just fore-knowledge that "it sucks" I thought I was well-prepared for it. I was wrong.

At least it meant that I slowed down and did a full completionist playthrough the first time; don't think I'm going to do a second one, which is mind-boggling considering my past experiences with these games.

This is exactly my same experience. My wife beat the game first, and I was pretty spoiler/community comment free until that point. She looked so down after the ending and said that she was disappointed, yet I thought it couldn't possibly be that bad.

Then I beat it hours later and I was surprised how my worst guesses of how bad it would be actually fell short. It was a mix of disbelief and disappointment.

After I looked online for an hour or so whether there was another ending that I somehow missed, I went into anger.

I haven't fired up the game again since I beat it. Not even for the multiplayer, although was enjoying playing it with the wife. For the record I beat ME1 back to back like 3 times, and ME2 ... I frankly don't know how many times.

I don't think I will play it again at all, and it killed my interest in playing the previous games from start to do a full 'canon' run. What's the point?

P.S: Thanks for that, Internet Kraken. Was curious and that makes sense!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
More streaming to be had. Starting do to stuff after meeting up with the Quarians.

https://www.twitch.tv/digitaldiatribe

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Monday Averted posted:

I don't think I will play it again at all, and it killed my interest in playing the previous games from start to do a full 'canon' run. What's the point?

The point would presumably be to see the character scenes you liked again and the ones you haven't seen before for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

The point would presumably be to see the character scenes you liked again and the ones you haven't seen before for the first time.

I suppose so, but I am so bummed by the ending - and by knowing it will all boil down to RGB - that I seriously don't care.

I fired up Amnesia and finally beat it, installing Dear Esther now. I honestly have no interest anymore in ME3 which is contrary to what happened to me in 1 and 2 and it is not because I am throwing a tantrumy boycott of the game.

It just really made me completely 'meh' towards the franchise.

• Locked thread