Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Yeah, TGUS seems to be following in the original's footsteps wrt finding its legs after the first couple seasons.
But will they get complaints about the show as well? :v: If the show was bigger I figure PETA would complain about the animals segment, although I'm not sure if they'd consider releasing the pig to be a good or bad thing in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

I may have missed it, but why did the Caravan change to an older generation for the boat challenge?

Polarize
Jul 12, 2007
The lights go on, the lights go off
Haha I totally missed that. In the earlier drag race, they also spliced in scenes where the vans were already modified. :psyduck:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I also loved how Tanner (?) strapped a bunch of NON-INFLATED tires to his car. For flotation.

"That's why they put them on boats right? :haw:"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 8, 2012

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just saw the TGUS episode, my first foray into that show, and... drat. The actual filming and challenges and whatnot was good, I guess, but the hosts... It came off as so, so scripted and none of them are funny at all. And I gather this is one of the best episodes yet?

The fat dude seems like a really good guy, so when they rib on him for his size, it's not funny. It's like they just blindly copied what gets the most laughs in the original show without understanding the character interaction at all.

I'm pretty sure we could lock three choice AI members in a garage with a welder and a bunch of beaters and get a better show than this one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

I'm pretty sure we could lock three choice AI members in a garage with a welder and a bunch of beaters and get a better show than this one.

Depends on your definition of "better", but I'm sure it would be quite entertaining.

I'm voting Mooecow, DJ Commie and Dr 14 INCH DICK Md, with Cat Terrist as the SAtig.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bolind posted:

The fat dude seems like a really good guy, so when they rib on him for his size, it's not funny.

Since when are fat people not funny?

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

Two Finger posted:

James May On The Moon? That was one of my favourite shows, EVER.

Thanks for reminding me of that show, it really was great. I've only seen the AK episode of TGUS, it was alright.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Only just caught up on the most recent TGUK and I thought it was one of the better episodes this season. I don't enjoy Clarkson's DVDs so I hadn't seen the Brutus bit, and the trackday stuff was pretty cool.

My only complaints were that the "driving to work in the rain" segment dragged on for too long (despite how amusingly miserable they all were), and that they didn't show the horribly ugly rear-end of that new Ferrari. Seriously, poo poo's hideous.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
The trackday thing was great, but I was amazed at how incredibly slow the KTM was. How is it so expensive an only a 1:27? Perhaps it's more forgiving than the Caterham, but it just seemed like a bunch of technology thrown not very well together. Fun episode, the Brutus was fun and incredibly impractical. Some part of me would love that Morgan too.

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

Deceptor101 posted:

How is it so expensive an only a 1:27? Perhaps it's more forgiving than the Caterham, but it just seemed like a bunch of technology thrown not very well together.

My question is, if the Crossbow was so soft and forgiving, why were there so many pictures of Crossbows wrapped around a tree?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Evanauto posted:

My question is, if the Crossbow was so soft and forgiving, why were there so many pictures of Crossbows wrapped around a tree?

You're answering your own question. It's soft and forgiving to trees, not drivers. Hence the delicate wrap and a fairly intact tree.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Deceptor101 posted:

The trackday thing was great, but I was amazed at how incredibly slow the KTM was. How is it so expensive an only a 1:27?

I found the slow track time a bit odd too. I thought it was going to do a sub 1:25 time.It's expensive because they used a lot of carbon fiber in it. The power:weight ratio of the KTM is a little bit better than the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR FQ-400 which did it in 1:24.8 So I guess Stig was having an off-day or the car just has lovely handling characteristics?

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
It's probably the lovely handling characteristics then, the lap times around several race tracks that I've seen have also been less than stellar. The Nordschleife-time (yeah, I know, I know) was 8:10 something, which makes it slower than even some FWD hot hatchbacks.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

neckbeard posted:

The power:weight ratio of the KTM is a little bit better than the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR FQ-400 which did it in 1:24.8

Here's your answer. The car weighs so little but the power:weight ratio is only on par with an Evo. So it's losing big time on acceleration (especially top end because nothing about that shape says aerodynamic to me) compared to other track day cars, AND it doesn't have all the fancy doo-dad electronics doing the hard parts of the turning for you.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ugly, expensive, slow. Seems it shares two traits with the KTM motorcycles. :v:

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
God I want a Morgan 3 Wheeler so bad. I don't care if it isn't a full track car. It just looks sketchy and fun as hell.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I guess I was the only one disappointed that there was no mention or involvement of the Atom shown at the very beginning. Did they ever have the Atom 500 on the show?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
That the V8 Atom? I think it's at the top (or near the top) of the board. I believe James May did the review.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

japtor posted:

That the V8 Atom? I think it's at the top (or near the top) of the board. I believe James May did the review.

Yep. It's episode 1601.

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB
best cheap car challenge I think they've ever done, really enjoyed that episode minus the golf references

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
Just a solidly good show tonight.

Evidently, rally cross in the US and UK are not that related.

Quaver
May 21, 2007
I'm floaty light, bitch.
... And another season ends. Boo. Does anyone else think that Kimi was perhaps the most boring guest they've ever had on? I was struggling to listen to him, he just gave off such a dull vibe!

Loved that Rallycross segment though ... and that Ferrari. Jesus. :aaaaa:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Quaver posted:

Does anyone else think that Kimi was perhaps the most boring guest they've ever had on? I was struggling to listen to him, he just gave off such a dull vibe!

That's what he is best known for, other than his driving. Wish he'd had a dry track day though

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
drat that was a properly good episode of Top Gear--too bad its the last for the season. :( The interviews, car reviews, and challenge were great.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How the hell did they get that shot of the M5 drifting, then pausing in time, moving the camera, and unpausing?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Residency Evil posted:

How the hell did they get that shot of the M5 drifting, then pausing in time, moving the camera, and unpausing?
Just a bunch of cameras lined up next to each other probably.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Residency Evil posted:

Several cameras, mirrors, have you seen how they did it in matrix?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Residency Evil posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KtghA0rkDY&feature=player_detailpage#t=29s

I'd assume it was something similar to how they did it in the Matrix.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jusupov posted:

Several cameras, mirrors, have you seen how they did it in matrix?

Ah, haven't seen how they did it in the matrix. I'll take a look, thanks.

Just saw the Ferrari California part. I can't even imagine how the logistics of that worked with insurance, shooting, and driving it through town. I remember they had another Ferrari (GTO?) a few seasons back and they didn't let them drive it on the track.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Quaver posted:

... And another season ends. Boo. Does anyone else think that Kimi was perhaps the most boring guest they've ever had on? I was struggling to listen to him, he just gave off such a dull vibe!

I couldn't tell if that was the joke they were going for or what. "Hey, did you know you're the Stig's hero? He tries to be just like you!" What, you mean because he doesn't talk?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Instead of those terrible Top Gear related DVDs they put out around Christmas time they really need to put out a "James May checks out someone's amazing car collection" special instead.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

neckbeard posted:

Instead of those terrible Top Gear related DVDs they put out around Christmas time they really need to put out a "James May checks out someone's amazing car collection" special instead.

Haha yeah. I wonder how does James always get to do the awesome stuff like taking a Veyron to its top speed, driving the $6 million+ Ferrari, flying in a U2 at 90k feet, etc.?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really just want to start racing, but the only track near me is some country club track. Hopefully that F1 track in Austin has some stuff.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mod sassinator posted:

Haha yeah. I wonder how does James always get to do the awesome stuff like taking a Veyron to its top speed, driving the $6 million+ Ferrari, flying in a U2 at 90k feet, etc.?

Um because he is the most awesome presenter. This is obvious.:colbert:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fucknag posted:

Um because he is the most awesome presenter. This is obvious.:colbert:

He's the smart one that makes you feel good about knowing nerdy things. He's on TV you know.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

neckbeard posted:

Instead of those terrible Top Gear related DVDs they put out around Christmas time they really need to put out a "James May checks out someone's amazing spanner collection" special instead.

Fixed that for you.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

God drat the rally cross segment was fantastic. It's always awesome to see the three of them have a great time.

Slash was better than I expected too. Still not the best rock star they've had as SIARPC (Brian Johnson), but having him play at the end made for a great end of the season.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

If it were your $5.6 million Ferrari, which Top Gear presenter would you choose to drive it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
I felt kind of “meh” about the episode, mostly because it didn’t show us anything that we hadn’t seen before. A presenter driving someone else’s classic car and being worried about damaging it? Seen it. Kimi Raikkonen giving short, obvious answers to interview questions and telling us nothing new? Seen it. The presenters buying cheap cars for a challenge and bumping into each other in a race? Seen it many, many times. Driving a new version of a class-leading car and learning that it is slightly better than its predecessor? This segment again? Yawn.

Top Gear is at its best when they are comparing multiple cars. Comparing the new M5 versus an Audi RS6 or a Cadillac CTS-V or a Nissan GTR (or anything for that matter) would have utterly improved the segment. But as it is, we’re just seeing what might as well be the last generation M5 driving around a track again, just with the presenter telling us it’s a little bit faster.

Slash’s Jessica was a great way to end the season, though.