Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

hyperhazard posted:

I'm going to guess that it's an old parachute account the guy decided to mess around with. That would explain the gender change and lack of post history.

Presumably any one of the admins have access to IP addresses, and would be able to figure out if this is the case. That's what I personally would do, anyway, out of curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucythenomad
Mar 6, 2012
The Nazi-Vampire

The Reincarnation Chronicles- Part one

In 11th grade, I went to the USA for half a year and after coming back, switched to a different school. I was still in touch with Emma, though. Another mutual friend of ours, Melanie (whom I will talk about later on) introduced Emma and me to the twins, who had transferred to my former school after I had left.

I had heard about the twins before, of course, because in the area we lived in, rumors traveled quickly. They were kind of notorious and people gave them the flattering nickname „the human being twins“. They had some friends (exclusively female) who accepted them for what they were, but mostly they went through a lot of crap, because a lot of the people in the area were homophobic assholes. Okay, maybe some of it was also because the twins were somewhat… eccentric, but I’m not sure whether they got that way because they were bullied or whether it was the other way round.

So anyway, the twins and I immediately bonded. All three of us wanted to get out of the small-town-environment we lived in and go out and explore the world. We’d watch Sex and the City together and dream about living the glamorous life in New York. We’d learn foreign languages in our spare time and look at pictures of cool places in the world. When the twins actually started looking up immigration to Canada and the USA and even ordered some official documents, I started to think that this was going a bit far, but whatever.

However, the twins were not only engaging in this kind of escapism, but also in other, less healthy kinds.

„My only goal in life is to be reincarnated as Queen Victoria!“

Frederick, the older twin, was flamboyantly gay. He was a tall, skinny, extremely talkative guy with an outrageous clothing style, who, on occasion, died his hair purple. Frederick was generally a friendly and helpful guy, but he talked A LOT and was quite the attention whore, so I could kind of get why people were annoyed by him.

Frederick was obsessed with bygone eras, especially the age of Enlightenment, Rococo art and the Victorian times, and conveniently ignored the fact that being gay in those eras wouldn’t exactly have been a picnic. When he once had to hold a presentation about the age of Enlightenment, he actually dressed in a period costume he had borrowed from the school theatre group, darkened all the windows and placed candles everywhere in the classroom. To contrast that, he was clueless about some aspects of modern culture. (For example, he’d never heard of Borat until I told him about the film two years after it had been in theatres.)

In his spare time, Frederick meticolously planned what a state governed by him would look like. He would constantly draw enormous floor plans of the castles and palaces he wanted to construct. He even drew up a constitution and a series of laws, which included extremely harsh punishments for people who smoked, did drugs, got drunk and ate meat. (Frederick was a strict vegetarian.) All of those behaviors were punished with long prison terms. I tried to tell him that this was kind of unreasonable, and then I gave up because I realized how dumb it is to argue over a fake constitution.

Another thing you had to know about the twins is that both of them were firm believers in reincarnation. (Frederick also claimed to be a Hindu.) And Frederick believed that he would be reincarnated as Queen Victoria.

You see, he was obsessed with Queen Victoria, or “Vic”, as he called her. He would ramble on and on about her to everyone and urged us to call him Vic. To him, it was obvious that Queen Victoria and him had a special bond. However, he did not have any memories of a past life as Vic. That could only mean that he was to be reincarnated as Queen Victoria after this life! Yes, when Frederick died, he would be reincarnated as Her Majesty and rule over England and also over other parts of the world.

I don’t think Frederick meant to go back in time, though. He was a little vague about the specifics, but I think his idea was he would be reborn as a second version of Queen Victoria in the 21st or 22nd century after his death or something. Then he would finally build all of his planned castles and palaces and enforce his ultra-strict laws and wear pretty clothes all day! That would be awesome! At some point, he kept dramatically telling all of his friends: “I don’t have anything to live for in this life anymore! The only thing that keeps me going, the only thing I wish for is being reincarnated as Vic!”

However, Frederick was still the more stable twin. In the next post, I will talk about his twin sister, who told me that

“I have the right to hate Germany because I am a reincarnated Holocaust victim!”

Also coming up:
“How dare you question that I am the reincarnation of Nietzsche!”
“I've traveled across the country and slept in phone boxes BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!”
and
The girl who converted to Islam for two days.

lucythenomad fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 11, 2012

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I am looking forward to more of these crazy twin stories.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
I'd like to hear about the two-day Muslim. :)

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Letter from a Crazy Girl Part 1

Looking back now I can see that Elizabeth had all the typical crazy girl tendencies. When I met her at a christian summer camp, I was 16 and in stereotypical goon fashion: shy, awkward, overweight, with a bad case of nice guy. Elizabeth was older (strike one) an "artist" (strike two) and was quite thin despite the fact that she admitted to only dating heavy guys (three!). It started out quite innocently, kissing and holding hands, then making out.
At the end of camp we had each other's phone numbers and emails. We both lived in the same town and I had just moved to my father's house, which was within walking distance of hers. For the next few weeks we mostly just talked, walked around the hills and made out a lot.
It was then that the crazy began. We hadn't even been going out for a month when she suddenly began telling me that she loved me. This did strike me as odd, and I was honest about not loving her back. Not that I didn't think I could love her, but enough time hadn't passed for such deep feelings to develop :ughh:
Despite me not returning the feeling, we stayed together. We almost had sex once and she later told me that it didn't go down because I locked the front door of the house. But 16 year old me was horny as gently caress and willing to ignore these strange behaviors. She was incredibly needy, and when I was tired of hanging out with her literally every day for hours and hours, she would call and not take hints like "oh sorry Liz, I'm going out with my family today". She would want to come with. After another few weeks of this I told her to stop calling me. It was then that I got the aforementioned letter.
In fact, it was the article "Letters from a crazy girl" on the front page that first sparked this memory again. So the last time I went through all my stored boxes, I found the letter. It's sitting even now in the top drawer of my dresser. If there's any interest :iamafag: I might consider taking a few hi-res pics or scanning it.

treiz01 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 11, 2012

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

treiz01 posted:

Not A Letter from a Crazy Girl

You just gave us all the build-up for absolutely no crazy. :mad:

chokeandstroke
Jun 4, 2011

InEscape posted:

Yeah, no offense treiz01, but compared to the other stories in this thread, yours is boring as poo poo. Not interested.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

lucythenomad posted:

The Nazi-Vampire

The Reincarnation Chronicles- Part one

I don't know about his twin, but I would have hung out with Fred when I was in High School. That's more than I would say about 99% of the people in this thread. :v:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

chokeandstroke posted:

Yeah, no offense treiz01, but compared to the other stories in this thread, yours is boring as poo poo. Not interested.

I'd go further than that -- it's basically archetypal "that woman became emotionally attached to me before I was to her, suddenly she's clingy and crazy" crypto-misogyny. Unless Elizabeth considered herself to be a reincarnation of royalty or had a brain-Vegeta or something, I'm really not seeing how she was even remotely at fault here.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
So there was this guy in my art class who thought he was the best artist in the world. Typical shpeshul shnowflake. He was convinced that he was literally the best artist, as in, he said he was better than Van Gogh because "Van Gogh didn't even know how to blend".

He was in his early 20s and was this skinny, awkward-looking nerd but of course he also thought he was super hot and would constantly hit on every girl who was unfortunate enough to sit anywhere near him.

Anyway, let's call him Jeff.

I knew Jeff was going to be a problem right from the start. On our very first day, our teacher asked us to bring our sketchbooks so he could have a look at them to see what we were capable of. This was an art academy, not a proper art school, and my class was a mix of teenagers and adults, so the teacher wanted to make sure that no one was too inexperienced etc etc. Anyway, Jeff was in his mid 20s, so we were about the same age. He gave the teacher his sketchbook and the teacher asked him if he ever did any life drawing. Jeff shook his head fiercely and said that he never used reference, because he "didn't want to contaminate his creative work". When the teacher asked him what he wanted to do with his work, he said he wanted to be a concept artist, and the teacher politely mentioned that concept artists need to draw from life a lot, because they need that knowledge of the real world in order to successfully create believable fantasy worlds. Jeff scoffed at him and grabbed his sketchbook, then said something like "you just don't get it".

Basically Jeff drew like a 9 year old. His characters had sausage limbs. He had absolutely no idea what the hell he was doing, and he refused to study things like anatomy, perspective and composition because he thought those things would "taint his creativity". He insisted that he was a better artist than everyone in class and that his refusal to "do the same thing as everybody else" would make his work stand out. Well, his work DID stand out I guess. Just not in the way he wanted it to.

Fast forward a few months of Jeff disrupting our class with his bullshit speeches about how art was about the soul and refusing to let people critique his work. It was mid November, nice and warm (Southern Hemisphere) and we all (including Jeff) went to the McDonald's near the school. So we all got our "food" and we were sitting there talking when our teacher asked Jeff what he was doing. I looked over to where Jeff was sitting, and he was holding his hands over his Big Mac with his eyes closed. He opened one eye, smiled, and then casually said "I'm a wizard".

Everyone kind of sat there in silence, waiting for him to say "just kidding" or something, but no. Jeff really thought he was a wizard and he was apparently "cleansing" his food before eating it. No one knew what to say to that, so we all kinda shrugged and started talking about something else.

So that was Jeff. A fine young man, wouldn't you say?

Now, my art teacher was also a good friend of mine and I used to babysit his son a lot. During the end of the year break, we went to an art exhibition and he mentioned that he just didn't know what to do about Jeff. Basically this wasn't a proper school so he couldn't just fail the guy, and as long as Jeff was paying, he was allowed to be in class. This wouldn't be a problem if Jeff wasn't so disruptive and problematic, but it was really hard to teach with that guy in the classroom and none of the other teachers wanted him (I wonder why?)

I know what you're thinking, you're thinking "why didn't the teacher just talk to him about it?"

The answer is he did. Several times. Jeff just wouldn't listen. He even kicked Jeff out of class a couple of times. Nothing worked, and my teacher just didn't have the authority to kick him out for good.

Of course, talk to him was all my poor teacher could do, so when class started again in January, he told Jeff that they needed to talk and took him to another room. We were told to check out each other's sketchbooks in the meantime, so we did. I was about halfway through one of my classmates' sketchbooks when I heard a loud bang coming from the other room. I ran over there with two friends, thinking Jeff had gone violent or something. We opened the door, and our teacher was standing on the other end of the room, mouth agape. There was a chair on the floor, and across the room from the teacher stood Jeff, arms outstretched and pointed straight at him.

It took me a second to understand what I was seeing. Jeff was apparently casting some sort of magic spell at my teacher, who was just standing there, staring at him in disbelief. "Jeff," he finally said, "what the hell are you doing?"

"You WILL regret this day" Jeff said. And then he walked away.

Apparently my teacher had told him that he needed to tone it down a notch, that he really had to stop disrupting his class because other people wanted to learn. Jeff had then told him that he didn't need the art classes and was only at the academy because he "wanted to do some networking". That was enough as far as my teacher was concerned, and he told Jeff that he was not going to be a professional artist with that attitude, or that artwork. Jeff apparently leaped off his chair, picked it up, threw it at the wall and then started uh, casting his spell I guess.

Jeff never returned to class, and the last thing I heard about him was that he had thrown a tremendous fit when he wasn't invited to be in an art exhibition.

As far as I know, he's still the greatest artist in the world. Also a wizard.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

the kawaiiest posted:

Anyway, let's call him Jeff.

And that, the kawaiiest, is how you do it.

I like Jeff. Far away from me. Do you have more art school crazies stories? :allears:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

InEscape posted:

And that, the kawaiiest, is how you do it.

I like Jeff. Far away from me. Do you have more art school crazies stories? :allears:
Oh boy do I ever. I could never afford college so I went to two art academies and a bunch of workshops and they were always full of crazy people. Lots of weeaboos, neopagans, furries and other stuff like that. I'll share more stories when I find time to write them down. English isn't my first language so I struggle a bit and it takes me forever to write long posts.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

Oh boy do I ever. I could never afford college so I went to two art academies and a bunch of workshops and they were always full of crazy people. Lots of weeaboos, neopagans, furries and other stuff like that. I'll share more stories when I find time to write them down. English isn't my first language so I struggle a bit and it takes me forever to write long posts.

Okay, the image of a wizard magically cleansing a big mac is just incredibly amusing. :D It could potentially look cool in my head, but out of all the food in the world, he just had to pick a Big Mac.

Oh and I resent that bit about neopagans, unless you're only talking about those silly people who are into a pagan religion just because they think it's trendy and cool and not because it is an actual religion that they put their faith in and take seriously while doing some actual drat research on the mythology of that religion and how it works, (or it has become an everyday part of their life due to years of living under it, kind of like how Christianity tends to be for most people). Because the ancient religions that were displaced by the more major ones are still perfectly valid religions and are no more "hokey hippie bullshit" than the dominating faiths.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Considering himself better than Van Gogh when he'd never drawn from life was a good start, but holy poo poo, he was a wizard. That's more like it!

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Lady of the Beech posted:

Oh and I resent that bit about neopagans, unless you're only talking about those silly people who are into a pagan religion just because they think it's trendy and cool and not because it is an actual religion that they put their faith in and take seriously while doing some actual drat research on the mythology of that religion and how it works, (or it has become an everyday part of their life due to years of living under it, kind of like how Christianity tends to be for most people). Because the ancient religions that were displaced by the more major ones are still perfectly valid religions and are no more "hokey hippie bullshit" than the dominating faiths.
I was referring to the "I'm a self-initiated solitary Wiccan High Priestess and my spiritual name is Crystal Ravenwood" kind. Though I will say that actually believing in magic does make you crazy.

e: I grew up in a pagan home so I know that sane pagans do exist, but none of the ones I ever met actually believed in magic. I mean in like, casting love spells and crap like that.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Wait, if you (properly) cast a cleansing spell on a Big Mac, would there actually be anything left?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Because the ancient religions that were displaced by the more major ones are still perfectly valid religions and are no more "hokey hippie bullshit" than the dominating faiths.

Modern neopaganism is almost entirely an invention of modern people and has little or no relationship with actual pre-Christian faiths.

This isn't meant as a criticism, it's just a fact.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Here I drew a picture of my classmate

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Heresiarch posted:

Modern neopaganism is almost entirely an invention of modern people and has little or no relationship with actual pre-Christian faiths.

Aradia, or the Gospel of the Witches was published in 1899. It's Dianetics with an extra half-century to brew. :colbert:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Colon V posted:

Aradia, or the Gospel of the Witches was published in 1899. It's Dianetics with an extra half-century to brew. :colbert:
Its legitimacy is highly disputed by scholars such as Ronald Hutton though.

Now stop this arguing at once or I will call the wizard and you WILL regret this day.

lucythenomad
Mar 6, 2012

the kawaiiest posted:

Here I drew a picture of my classmate

This is a thing of beauty.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I don't know about his twin, but I would have hung out with Fred when I was in High School. That's more than I would say about 99% of the people in this thread. :v:

Yes, Frederick and I are friends until this very day. He has become a lot more reasonable and we laugh at our stupid teenage antics.

the kawaiiest posted:

Jeff never returned to class, and the last thing I heard about him was that he had thrown a tremendous fit when he wasn't invited to be in an art exhibition.

Do you have any details on this? Did he try to put a spell in the people who organized the exhibition? Please say he did.

lucythenomad fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 11, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

What I pictured Jeff as the whole time;

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

What's a good source to find out about actual paganism? The weird old creepy poo poo from like pre-Roman Great Britain or whatever?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Corridor posted:

What's a good source to find out about actual paganism? The weird old creepy poo poo from like pre-Roman Great Britain or whatever?

That's druidism, and as far as I know we basically have no records on what druids were like. Some speculation exists that one of the smarter posters could link you to I'm sure. Neodruidism is just bananas based on nothing than a shared love of being utterly fruitloopy.

Paganism in a historical context just means 'Not Christian' essentially. I think it was mostly used to refer to old Greek patheons and junk, though I imagine someone will be able to correct me here.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

InEscape posted:

I was pretty tired when I typed that up and forgot to say that it is a part of a story. If people want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes, I'll put up the letter and tell the continuing story of Liz. Maybe I should have marked my post as part 1?

treiz01 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 11, 2012

lucythenomad
Mar 6, 2012
The Nazi-Vampire
The Reincarnation Chronicles part one- " My only goal in life is to be reincarnated as Queen Victoria!“

fork bomb posted:

I am looking forward to more of these crazy twin stories.

Coming right up!

The Reincarnation Chronicles part two

Now, Frederick’s twin sister, Kim, was a male-to-female transsexual. That was actually legit - after graduation, she would go on to have gender reassignment surgery. Most people mistook her for a cisgendered girl and were surprised when they found out that she was biologically male. Her actual name wasn’t Kim, of course, but something similarly gender-neutral, she was around 5’11, so quite tall for a woman, but still within a „normal“ range, she had a rather high voice... If I believed in something like destiny, I would think that fate had never actually intended for her to be a man. Most people she’s acquainted with nowadays have no idea that she was born in a male body.

Anyway, Kim had to put up with a lot of poo poo. People around town constantly gossiped about „that crazy guy who wants to have surgery and become a girl“. Whenever I heard this, I tried to reason with them, but the majority of people stuck to their opinion that it was wrong, despite having no other reasons than „It’s just not RIGHT.“

Kim hated all men (except for her brother) and claimed to be a lesbian. (A few years later, she would tell me that she’d always been heterosexual; she’d just been lying to herself.) While the way she talked about men was pretty awful, I can kind of see why she acted that way. Maybe she just hated her male body and extended her hate toward the entire male sex or something, but I am clueless about psychology and can only guess.

Unsurprisingly, Kim also hated the small town she lived in and the region around, which I completely understood. I myself have left the place shortly after graduating from secondary school and I have never looked back. What I didn’t agree with was the fact that Kim chose to extend her hate to the entire country we lived in. Which is Germany.

Now, some of this is A German Thing. Because of our history, we’re extremely uncomfortable with overt displays of patriotism, and bitching about how many things Germany does wrong and how we should be more like (insert other country here) is a bit of a national past time. I am guilty of this as well: don’t get me started on our school system or you’ll never hear the end of it.

Criticizing your country is, generally, a good thing, but Kim definitely overdid it and crossed the line from criticism to actual irrational hatred. She divided the entire world into countries she disliked (as I said, Germany. Also, for some reason, Spain, despite the fact that she’d never been there. And Greece, I think.), countries she liked (for example the UK, the USA and Italy) and countries she was indifferent toward (the rest). And she kept bitching about how EVERYTHING in Germany sucked and about how everything was so much better in the countries she liked, especially the UK.

No matter whether she was talking about laws, the food, the public transportation system, the educational system, the way people acted, the language, the culture: everything in Germany was horrible and was better in the UK. She constantly complained how much she hated living in Germany and how it was so unfair that she had to take German class in school, since she didn’t care for the language because her English was so much better than her German and she did not have a German accent at all, how DARE you suggest otherwise? (While her English was indeed remarkable, that wasn’t true.)

While Kim did have a German passport, because it gave her the possibility to travel to other countries, she refused to get a German ID card. (Nowadays, I think that maybe she just didn’t want another document that said that she was male, so I’m willing to cut her some slack on that.) When people put their German flags out during soccer games, she bitched and whined about this endlessly, but she had a giant Union Jack on her bedroom wall.

I tried to reason with her and told her that being a transgendered person in an overly conservative small town probably isn’t easy anywhere in the world, even in her beloved Anglo-American countries. I tried to explain to her that people in Berlin or Hamburg or Cologne (she’d never been to any of those places) were probably a lot more tolerant and that not all of our country was like her hometown, but it was like talking to a brick wall. She would go on and on for hours about how much she hated everything in Germany and it became really annoying. Eventually, I snapped.

:catstare: Shut up, drat it! Be glad you were born in a First World Country and not in Somalia or something! This is getting really annoying!
:shepface: You don’t understand! I have the RIGHT to hate Germany because of my past!
:catstare: What the hell are you talking about?
:shepface: I was a Jewish Holocaust Victim in a former life! I know it! I keep having nightmares about my time in the concentration camp and how I was killed there! In my dreams, I hear the screams of my fellow Jews who are killed and I distinctly remember how I was gassed by the Nazis!
:catstare: ...

I was so dumbfounded that I didn’t know what to say, so I just stared at her while she went on and on about her death in Auschwitz and the awful nightmares she kept having about it. During the next weeks, Kim tried to bring the topic up again a couple of times, but I always ignored it or tried to change the subject because I felt so loving uncomfortable and 17-year-old me was too chicken to tell her how offensive this was. Eventually, when she realized I was not going to go along with this, she never mentioned the subject again.

But both of the twins were still harmless compared to our mutual friend Melanie, whom I will talk about in the next post:

“How dare you question that I’m the reincarnation of Nietzsche!”

Also coming up:
“I've traveled across the country and slept in phone boxes BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!”
and
The girl who converted to Islam for two days.

lucythenomad fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 11, 2012

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

lucythenomad posted:

No matter whether she was talking about laws, the food, the public transportation system, the educational system, the way people acted, the language, the culture: everything in Germany was horrible and was better in the UK.

As a Brit: bahahahahaha oh god she is sorely mistaken.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

the kawaiiest posted:

I think it's a rule that every art class has to have That Guy. In my 2D Design class, there was the guy who bragged he could speak pretty good Japanese because he watched anime. In Drawing 2, it was the neckbeard who would do compositions of his gaming controllers.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

That's druidism, and as far as I know we basically have no records on what druids were like.
In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history, lived a strange race of people: The Druids.
No one knows who they were or what they were doing. But their legacy remains, hewn into the living rock...of Stonehenge.
:rock:

the kawaiiest posted:

The wizard of art class.
I love stories about crazy artists. I have a handful of friends who attended art school and every single one of them is insane, each in their own wonderful way. Nothing that would come close to the stories in this thread, though. The strangest girl I met was in a video game design class. She was a proud furry and graduated with a specialization in making costumes (read: fursuits). She was a nice enough person, and seemed sane in the classroom...she just really liked cross-dressing as an anthropomorphic male fox who cross-dressed as a female fox in her free time. (Yeah, I don't know either.)

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:
"she just really liked cross-dressing as an anthropomorphic male fox who cross-dressed as a female fox in her free time. (Yeah, I don't know either.)"

How would that even work? D:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

thenotoriouspie posted:

"she just really liked cross-dressing as an anthropomorphic male fox who cross-dressed as a female fox in her free time. (Yeah, I don't know either.)"

How would that even work? D:
She had a long explanation on her DA page, but from what I remember, her fursona was a male fox who liked to cross-dress as a female fox. So the fox would wear dresses and wigs and put on an effeminate persona, but still be a guy. I don't think it was a transgender fox, it just liked to dress in drag.

She seemed so normal in class, too. :psyduck:

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Heresiarch posted:

Yeah, this is what drives me nuts about modern neopaganism, especially since although it is true that a lot of critical information on these religions and how they worked is missing, I think it is possible to reconstruct complete, functional religions based on historical, linguistic and archaeological evidences. But the people who make these "modern neopagan" religions just make poo poo up and are hardly scientific about how they "re-"build their religions at all.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

I think it is possible to reconstruct complete, functional religions based on historical, linguistic and archaeological evidences. But the people who make these "modern neopagan" religions just make poo poo up and are hardly scientific about how they "re-"build their religions at all.

Boy that sure depends on what language you want, but once most of the old ones died, they were dea-dead. Deadsies. I remember my historical ling prof explaining that most of what we know about some of the dead languages on the insular celtic tree is that "they really liked horses". I don't even know if that's true, he might have been joking. The point is we don't know much.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Yeah, this is what drives me nuts about modern neopaganism, especially since although it is true that a lot of critical information on these religions and how they worked is missing, I think it is possible to reconstruct complete, functional religions based on historical, linguistic and archaeological evidences. But the people who make these "modern neopagan" religions just make poo poo up and are hardly scientific about how they "re-"build their religions at all.

From what I understand, a lot of this is because the old pagan spiritual practices include things that aren't fun. Things like fasting for days, self-mutilation, and even human sacrifice weren't uncommon. I doubt anyone seriously wants to reconstruct many historical pagan religions, they just take the parts that sound interesting and aren't too offensive.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Konstantin posted:

From what I understand, a lot of this is because the old pagan spiritual practices include things that aren't fun. Things like fasting for days, self-mutilation, and even human sacrifice weren't uncommon. I doubt anyone seriously wants to reconstruct many historical pagan religions, they just take the parts that sound interesting and aren't too offensive.

Yeah you're right about that, which is why it's a good idea to find humane ways to perform the same traditions. I've heard of a Scandinavian pagan wedding (half reenactment, half actual wedding) where when traditionally the couple would be sprinkled with sacrificial animal blood, they were actually sprinkled with mead.

I've also heard of a movement in the Jewish community in which people perform the Brit Milah by cutting the end of a vegetable instead of actual circumcision, which is in the same spirit as it is following a tradition without having to inflict actual harm.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 12, 2012

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Corridor posted:

This book or anything else written by professor Ronald Hutton. And actual history books.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Asking for a book about "actual paganism" is silly since pretty much anything that isn't Abrahamic is "pagan".

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Install Gentoo posted:

Asking for a book about "actual paganism" is silly since pretty much anything that isn't Abrahamic is "pagan".
Sure but the word "paganism" is associated with pre-Christian Europe more than anything else these days and Corridor did mention Great Britain so it's not too hard to figure out what he's talking about.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

hyperhazard posted:

She had a long explanation on her DA page, but from what I remember, her fursona was a male fox who liked to cross-dress as a female fox. So the fox would wear dresses and wigs and put on an effeminate persona, but still be a guy. I don't think it was a transgender fox, it just liked to dress in drag.

She seemed so normal in class, too. :psyduck:

Dunno about this particular person, but there are some that believe that since gender is a performance, the ability to have the body assignment, presentation, and performance as separate things are part of their expression of gender theory.

It's actually got a lot of interesting stuff behind it if you want to get all academic on it, but so often it's done instead by people who just want to be special and unique snowflakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

HELLO, VIRGIN HERE!

Some time after I moved hundreds of miles to get away from crushing poverty, I spent time in the arid and icy plains in the middle of my homeland. It was during my long, self-imposed exile to the Rectum of the World years ago, the place where all joy goes to wither and die in the vast and snowy emptiness, that I met Susan.

Oh, Susan.

It would be an understatement to say that Susan was sheltered.
In her early 20s, she had never even so much as romantically held hands. That's fine, whatever -- it's just that if anything that could be interpreted even at a stretch as a light innuendo was mentioned within earshot, Susan would immediately go on the defensive, looking up from her sketchpad and scowling, saying loudly, "Hello, hello. Virgin, here!"

It got old real, real fast as she was part of the circle of friends I'd developed out there, through work and chance encounters, and we were all young people in our late teens and early twenties. The conversation was bound to turn that way and her tone was so distinctive and loud that it made the whole group of us uncomfortable.

Myself, a romantic interest/friend of mine called Aric, and Benito lived in an apartment. We were all friends and co-workers at the same soul-sucking telephony job. Life was fairly good for me then. I was interested in Aric, who was handsome, employed and good-natured. I had a small social circle that was coming together. I got Susan a job when she wanted to get out of offering people fries with that and she got to know Aric and Benito pretty well. I was employed and lovely and draining as it was, it was enough to keep me sane.

I was sympathetic to Susan as she often talked about loneliness, but I was also more than a little confused when she accepted Benito's advances because Benito was much older than us, approaching 40 and he was a very sexual person. Whatever, that's cool. I hope they get on and she learns to let go of some of her barriers.

Three days later, Benito wanted her to move in with us, and bless her heart but that's when poo poo got really, really weird.

(A pre-emptive shyaddup and wait for those who might complain about a slow setup. It's ten minutes to 5AM. I'm going to (actually) update tomorrow. Feels good to be writing about all this poo poo.)

• Locked thread