Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Bongo Bill posted:

The point would presumably be to see the character scenes you liked again and the ones you haven't seen before for the first time.

In the case of ME3 though I kept feeling like there were no badass vs do-gooder choices, just good choices vs bad choices. From a role-play perspective, I can't see another way I'd want to play. Quickly youtubing the "bad" choices confirms this, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
I have no real interest in ever doing another full playthrough of ME3, at least not any time soon, but if I did, I'd probably do an Adept run and take Javik on every mission where I can also take Liara. Just because he was a really cool character and I got him too late into the game.

If I ever do another playthrough though, I'm definitely just stopping before the end, before the last 5 minutes. There is no point in ever watching that poo poo again and I refuse to accept it.

At any rate, it's okay even if I never do another playthrough, because I made approximately 1 billion saves throughout my run of the game so I can easily rewatch any scene I want to.

And I don't have a strong desire to actually see how things are different for other Shepards, like Renegades and such, it's enough to quell my curiosity just to hear from other people what happens.

I am curious about one thing - Jack/Morinth becoming Reaper troops. Is there any special scene introducing them? Do they have any special powers or stats or anything? Or are they exactly the same as any other unit, except instead of "Banshee" it says "Morinth" and you might miss it if you don't pay attention to the targeting names?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Well, now this is lovely:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...-9787569-1.html

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Aristobulus posted:

I have no real interest in ever doing another full playthrough of ME3, at least not any time soon, but if I did, I'd probably do an Adept run and take Javik on every mission where I can also take Liara. Just because he was a really cool character and I got him too late into the game.

If I ever do another playthrough though, I'm definitely just stopping before the end, before the last 5 minutes. There is no point in ever watching that poo poo again and I refuse to accept it.

That's exactly what I did in my second game. Liara and Javik everywhere for unique dialogue. All it did was unravel everything you ever come to learn about the civilizations you've come to know and care about, and is generally depressing. You're basically told the asari didn't do anything for themselves, it was all protheans giving them advanced knowledge to uplift them.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 12, 2012

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

Aristobulus posted:

I am curious about one thing - Jack/Morinth becoming Reaper troops. Is there any special scene introducing them? Do they have any special powers or stats or anything? Or are they exactly the same as any other unit, except instead of "Banshee" it says "Morinth" and you might miss it if you don't pay attention to the targeting names?

NOPE! I didn't see the Jack one but here is how Morinth went:

"Ah god, another loving Banshee. Time to pinball this bitch into dust. How much armor does this loving thing have left? *Looks at lifebar* Well, what do you know, it's Morinth? What the gently caress?" Fin.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000
edit: nevermind i read 1 page back and found the answer.

as for content, on my insanity vanguard i find myself carrying a sniper rifle or other random heavy weapon just for variety. pinball charging around and obliterating everything effortlessly is getting kind of boring. next play through might be as infiltrator or something as different as i can find.

Zyme fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 12, 2012

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Aristobulus posted:

I took Liara and Javik on every mission, and the amount of stuff Javik has to say is impressive. Contrary to many, I actually liked his character except for when he just couldn't shut up about killing the geth.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I'm getting my saves in order for the eventuality that I'll end up playing ME3, and apparently the shadow broker install file from bioware's site has been completely fubared for months. Is there a way to get it from Origin? Apparently the only fix around, and the way Bioware's tech support has actually recommended getting around it, is to e-mail a random person on the Bioware forums and get the install file from them, which is sketchy enough that I'd rather not bother.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ub posted:

So without specifically spoiling the ending but just fore-knowledge that "it sucks" I thought I was well-prepared for it. I was wrong.

At least it meant that I slowed down and did a full completionist playthrough the first time; don't think I'm going to do a second one, which is mind-boggling considering my past experiences with these games.

Yea, that's pretty much feeling about it as well. I seriously feel like I did at the end of Fallout 3 or at the end of End of Evangelion.

The journey was hell of a lot of fun, everything was really enjoyable, even the poo poo that pissed me off, as soon as I figured it out It wasn't too bad. Though still gently caress fighting Phantoms.

I mean Did the Normandy survivors create their own civilization on that mysterious planet? All the ships and troops above earth, did they create a multi racial earth with Humans, Asari, Krogans, Turians, Rachni, and Quarians just rebuilding earth? Seriously, what the gently caress happen? It's like if Lord of the Rings ended right as the ring melted, and Sauron dispersed.

The Normandy Survivors is a neat idea, they did it in the last few episode of Stargate Universe; the crew finds an empire of people who are descended of an version of their crew from a different time line. I understand that it was supposed to occur in a universe without mass relays, but couldn't we have gotten an voice over from Hackett or better yet Wrex saying "the galaxy, cut off from the whole had to rebuild with what they had, relying on each other in ways they had never had before, but Shepard had helped them over come their difficulties. It was the So and So that figured out how to move without mass relays. It was centuries later, but soon the galaxy was unified once again, with all the races working together in cooperation. It didn't go smoothly, nothing ever does, but Shepard's sacrifice, and that made by so many others, was not forgotten.

I can only hope that there is post game dlc in the pipe, maybe some Wrex based awesomeness or such.

Though honestly, the thing I'm most upset is Not seeing what Quarians look like without their suits. Seriously, if only to stop all the space elf fan art

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

twistedmentat posted:

Though honestly, the thing I'm most upset is Not seeing what Quarians look like without their suits. Seriously, if only to stop all the space elf fan art

This would basically ruin everything their entire race is all about, rendering them virtually inseparable from humans.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I haven't played on Insane yet but does the whole "too many enemies waves" thing only occur at that difficulty level? Because dispatching everything is really really fast with a Soldier, Incendiary Ammo and Adrenaline Rush (even if it's no longer as gamebreakingly awesome as in ME2).

Just beat the game. Huh, before getting to this point I was excited about maybe redoing everything from ME1 to ME3 to make it just perfect. I wasn't spoiled to the ending but I saw the disappointment everywhere so I was jaded. Still dampens my spirits. I'd rather they just ended with the Anderson and Shepard scene if they were going to do this =(

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

If you romance Tali and she dies, then you get to see an incredibly disappointing photograph of her. Trust me when I say you're better off not knowing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bongo Bill posted:

If you romance Tali and she dies, then you get to see an incredibly disappointing photograph of her. Trust me when I say you're better off not knowing.

I'll just keep imagining she looks like a Tau from Warhammer 40k. It's the legs you see.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lofidelity Media posted:

And way to drop that whole plot thread of stars dying because of dark energy whatevers.

Just read Ring by Stephen Baxter. In fact, read the whole Xeelee Sequence and find out how to properly wage Galactic War.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Aristobulus posted:

I found notes all over the Cerberus base explaining what happened to Jack, along with voice clips from Jack getting tortured. When I found Jack as an enemy, Edi comments on how she thinks it was Jack. You are told that Jack was at Grisom Academy, and that because you didn't save it Jack is an enemy.

I deeply regretted not prioritizing Grisom.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

The reviews seem to gloss over the rpg elements of the game. Would you guys say it returned to the first games depth at all or is it even more streamlined then the second? I was one of the people who liked the firsts inventory, leveling, and planet exploring.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Umph posted:

The reviews seem to gloss over the rpg elements of the game. Would you guys say it returned to the first games depth at all or is it even more streamlined then the second? I was one of the people who liked the firsts inventory, leveling, and planet exploring.

I'd say it combines the best elements of both, or rather that it brings the best elements of ME1 back into the structure of ME2. You've got plenty options for customizing your weaponry and build; there are many different weapons, each of which can be modified in several different ways, with real ramifications for choosing which ones to bring (the lighter your weapons, the faster your powers recharge), and the power trees give you more choices for customizing your loadout without being too finely-grained. It accomplishes this all with an interface that is even more fluid than it was in Mass Effect 2, proving that "more streamlined" does not have to mean "fewer options."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vincent Valentine posted:

I found notes all over the Cerberus base explaining what happened to Jack, along with voice clips from Jack getting tortured. When I found Jack as an enemy, Edi comments on how she thinks it was Jack. You are told that Jack was at Grisom Academy, and that because you didn't save it Jack is an enemy.

I deeply regretted not prioritizing Grisom.

I was curious about this when I read the spoiler. I did any mission that seemed to indicate I'd come across a former teammate. Though I was hoping I could kill of as many as possible. I guess the only ones that You cannot save are Mordin and Thane, and depending on the Quarian/Geth situation, Tali or Legion. That one still makes me sad. Legion tries to kill you, Tali stabs him, then you pump 3 shots into his chest, sadly. As he dies, he ask "Creator-Zorah, does this unite have a soul?" and Tali says "yes" sadly. Then after its over, she says "we just had to murder an Ally, a Friend.". that really choked me up

My next game has half the Me2 crewmen dead, and Thane dead, but all the DLC done.

DId anyone switch their characters appearance constantly? I just chose their most battle armored look and left it at that.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

twistedmentat posted:

I was curious about this when I read the spoiler. I did any mission that seemed to indicate I'd come across a former teammate. Though I was hoping I could kill of as many as possible. I guess the only ones that You cannot save are Mordin and Thane, and depending on the Quarian/Geth situation, Tali or Legion. That one still makes me sad. Legion tries to kill you, Tali stabs him, then you pump 3 shots into his chest, sadly. As he dies, he ask "Creator-Zorah, does this unite have a soul?" and Tali says "yes" sadly. Then after its over, she says "we just had to murder an Ally, a Friend.". that really choked me up

My next game has half the Me2 crewmen dead, and Thane dead, but all the DLC done.

DId anyone switch their characters appearance constantly? I just chose their most battle armored look and left it at that.

You can save Mordin. If Wrex is dead and you have Wreav in his place, who is an rear end in a top hat, and without Eve (who I think always dies without Wrex) to keep him in check will become Space Genghis Khan, you can convince Mordin to not do the cure without having to shoot him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Anal Tributary posted:

You can save Mordin. If Wrex is dead and you have Wreav in his place, who is an rear end in a top hat, and without Eve (who I think always dies without Wrex) to keep him in check will become Space Genghis Khan, you can convince Mordin to not do the cure without having to shoot him.

But you must be a terrible person to kill Wrex in ME1.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

twistedmentat posted:

But you must be a terrible person to kill Wrex in ME1.

Or maybe you didn't import a save? :shobon:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I finally finished the game and was pretty satisfied with the journey. I thought the gameplay, character interaction, and just the general unfolding of events worked out really well. I was worried about how some of the ME2 cameos would their way in, but all in all I was pretty pleased. The biggest problem of the game is obviously when you get to the final destination. The final act has so much action and intensity that the ending itself just doesn't hold up and fizzles out without any oomph or pop that leaves immense disappointment. Not to mention that it doesn't seem to gel too well with the rest of the game.

Wrex is by far the best character in the entire series, and it sucks that they minimized him so much after the original. Get me a Wrex prequel or spinoff game.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Finished it an hour or two ago.

Hated the ending. Too emotional to make a non :goonsay: post about it right now but... wow that was really terrible and upsetting. Loved most of the rest of the game, though, with a few complaints. Time to go read 130 pages worth of black spoiler bars!

*edit* Just realized exactly how true Kaidan's lines in my custom title are. :v:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Questions about the ending: Who decided that the reapers needed to protect organic life at the expense of thousands of societies, and why? Who built the reapers? Did they decide this on their own? Who built the crucible, and why? They wanted someone "worthy" to take the helm and break the cycle, I guess?What do the reapers gain by "absorbing" life?

On a technical level, the ending sucks. Your choices have no effect, and that blows.

On a story level, I think it's actually kind of interesting, but missing some key things. If they could have some DLC that maybe explains my above questions as well as shows what happens to the surviving characters after the ending, that would be awesome. But it's probably a pipe dream. Most likely all the DLC will take place mid-game.

What I'd like to see to save the ending: Maybe the reapers were created thousands of "cycles" ago by a rogue organization within an organic society, sort of like cerberus. They think organic life is superior to synthetic, so they took this drastic measure. It would at least explain things in a way that works even if you think the solution is irrational. Instead of disagreeing with the author, you just disagree with a character.

Edit: And how are they going to make sequels when the different endings leave the galaxy in different states?

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 12, 2012

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Bass Bottles posted:

Questions about the ending: Who decided that the reapers needed to protect organic life at the expense of thousands of societies, and why? Who built the reapers? Did they decide this on their own? Who built the crucible, and why? They wanted someone "worthy" to take the helm and break the cycle, I guess?What do the reapers gain by "absorbing" life?

These are just a few of the many, many questions I have! I just wish things made sense. Everything is Mass Effect and everything hurts. :(

Annakie posted:

*edit* Just realized exactly how true Kaidan's lines in my custom title are. :v:

Kaidan forever, no matter what. :glomp:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Eames36 posted:

I'm playing on PC, is anyone else having issues with their sound in the game? At times character dialogue or sound effects will sound very low, while other times, almost at random the sound will blast. I saw some posts on the BIOware forums but haven't been able to locate a solution.

Had the same problem; there's an option under audio to turn HDR to low. Doing that fixed my issue.

edit: beaten. goddamnit, thought I was on the last page of the thread. Sorry.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
Dear everyone ever who said that Vanguard is the best class,

I'm sorry. You were so right all along. Soldier is great but god drat I love charge.

ABC 4 LYFE

Love,
Count Choc

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Count Choculitis posted:

Dear everyone ever who said that Vanguard is the best class,

I'm sorry. You were so right all along. Soldier is great but god drat I love charge.

ABC 4 LYFE

Love,
Count Choc

Is Vanguard the same in ME 1?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Vanguard is fun, no doubt, but nothing will ever match a Soldier Insanity no-skills run.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

Here's a bullshit interpretation based not on the game but the Firstborn from a trilogy by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter and adapted slightly: The Reapers were built by one of the oldest races in the universe, born billions of years ago, while the first stars were coming to life. The civilization, over the course of millenia, realized that the universe will eventually end in Heat Death - Stars will consume their fuel and burn out, the universe will grow progressively colder as energy of all forms runs out and entropy inevitably wins. This end cannot be avoided, only delayed. Delayed by the careful conservation of energy - specifically by removal of the energy consumers that are the Reckless Younger Races. So a plan was put in place. Every 50,000 years, the galaxy would undergo a purge. Those races who had achieved a level of advancement enough to threaten the dwindling energy in the universe would be removed, so that the ones even younger could live. The Crucible was built by this First Race with the understanding that their solution might not in fact be the best, and it serves as a kill switch, so that if a Reckless Younger Race became not so Reckless, they could end the First Plan and enact their own plan to stave off the universe's inevitable demise.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
While the illusion of choice was completely removed with the final decision of the game (which is a sore spot for most players, I guess), I still really like the ending.

I chose destroy, cos gently caress them squids

I felt that it brought an end to the whole saga, while providing the message that life goes on yadda yadda yadda.

Also, there was apparently some leaked ME3 script from a few months ago involving Dark Energy, which the fans didn't like and might have prompted this change. I dunno.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love

3Romeo posted:

Is Vanguard the same in ME 1?

No, vanguards are garbage in 1.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've only ever played Vanguard and Solider in 1 and 2, and solider in 1 so far. How are the other classes? I tried Adept, but they died way to fast in Me1 to even bother.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I've only ever played Vanguard and Solider in 1 and 2, and solider in 1 so far. How are the other classes? I tried Adept, but they died way to fast in Me1 to even bother.

Adepts in ME1 were the KILL EVERYTHING IN THE ROOM WITH ONE BUTTON PRESS LOL SINGULARITY class. I don't know what you're talking about.

Soldiers in ME2 were the ADRENALINE RUSH KILL EVERYTHING class.

I guess Vanguards are the ABC PINBALL class in ME3? I had an easy time with my Soldier though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

twistedmentat posted:

Adepts were extrememly powerful in ME1 because of their sheer potential for damage. Soldiers were the opposite, extremely powerful because they simply couldn't be killed.

I think Barrier gives your Adept a similar level of survivabity. Adepts were incredibly broken in ME1.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Cthulu Carl posted:

Here's a bullshit interpretation based not on the game but the Firstborn from a trilogy by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter and adapted slightly: The Reapers were built by one of the oldest races in the universe, born billions of years ago, while the first stars were coming to life. The civilization, over the course of millenia, realized that the universe will eventually end in Heat Death - Stars will consume their fuel and burn out, the universe will grow progressively colder as energy of all forms runs out and entropy inevitably wins. This end cannot be avoided, only delayed. Delayed by the careful conservation of energy - specifically by removal of the energy consumers that are the Reckless Younger Races. So a plan was put in place. Every 50,000 years, the galaxy would undergo a purge. Those races who had achieved a level of advancement enough to threaten the dwindling energy in the universe would be removed, so that the ones even younger could live. The Crucible was built by this First Race with the understanding that their solution might not in fact be the best, and it serves as a kill switch, so that if a Reckless Younger Race became not so Reckless, they could end the First Plan and enact their own plan to stave off the universe's inevitable demise.

That's pretty interesting. It can pretty easily be adapted to the current ending if you replace the threat of heat death with the threat of organic life being destroyed by synthetic. It's obvious they made this change because of the leak.

In the end, though, I think people were expecting the reapers to be straight-forward villains, and your choices from the 3 games to force you into either failing or succeeding to save the universe. The end should not have been a choice, it should have been an effect.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Bongo Bill posted:

The point would presumably be to see the character scenes you liked again and the ones you haven't seen before for the first time.

Er, I think you're supposed to say something like "to enjoy the refreshing, deep, and intense gameplay" when referring to replaying a video game. I suppose that's not really something you can say in this case though..?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bass Bottles posted:

The end should not have been a choice, it should have been an effect.

I don't know, I think the crucible letting you either control or destroy the Reapers is fine. It's just the execution that is piss poor, and the effects make either choice horrible anyways. Synthesis is so loving dumb and vague it shouldn't have ever been put in the game. It's easily the worst ending becuase it has no explanation.

VVV In the far distant future, where your choices didn't really matter and the setting is so different it doesn't need to even be a Mass Effect game. Or prequels.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
I really would like to know how they plan to continue the franchise after this sort of ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
To be fair, ME1 Adepts are frail in the first 10-15 levels and they don't have the advanced powers, lowered cooldowns, or weapon superiority to compensate as easily as a Soldier can. But yes, ME2 Adepts are very good and ME3 Adepts are ridiculous at crowd control and combo biotics.

If you like sniper rifles/headshots, Infiltrators are boss. Engineers can strip the defenses off anything. Sentinels can do most of what Engineers can along with increased survivability. Vanguards, well, you know the story there.

• Locked thread