Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Really, the point isn't so much how successful they are as much as "oh boy, we already know we'll get cookie teams in OLs but now here are two guys who ONLY submit cookie teams."

It's frustrating that there are people out there who have reputations of only submitting cookie teams. Think about how silly that is, that among all the hundreds of WIS players, there are four or five guys who are known only for that.

e: upon checking, ligapelota actually has us both beat in champs/teams ratio.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Roger Maris has 5 dingers in 3 games.

SSSS and all but :lol:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Presented without comment

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This is a good league that will probably end up being pretty interesting/hard. Anyone in?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

That league is going to see a lot of HoJo, Raines, Gavvy, Bargain Babe, etc. I bet it's actually pretty redundant.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
What would you be looking for if you were trading this guy? I had someone tell me I was asking way too much.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

His problem is that he is absolutely not a catcher unless he's a Burrellballer, which cuts your trading pool in half. His age, health and makeup are not a good combo for reaching his full potential, which dings him, too. He's a nice asset but he certainly has flaws. What kind of return were you asking?

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
It was definately too much, a good young 2B and a young No.3/4 starter. I'm probably overcompensating for the Hansen debacle. I'm in the NL so I've got no use for him, I guess I'll just troll through the AL teams and see what they'd like.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
ligapelota not living up to the hype so far

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

oh my god

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zamboni Jesus posted:

ligapelota not living up to the hype so far

Last OL I was in, 80% through the regular season I had the best record and he was a few games out of the WC slot.

Power of Pecota posted:

So my OL team won 103 games and got top seed in the NL!

gently caress ligapelota

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

oh my god

yesssssssssssssss

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

How is this guy under $6mil?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

.281/.364/.516

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Mordecai HBD world needs a new player anyone interested?

You have to be an owner with experience to get into this world, they are a little picky. It is an excellent, very friendly extremely balanced world. There is a fair amount of trading too.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Random Champs and Chumps is back.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

:dance:

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
The signing messages are still the best.

"We're taking your great offer. If my math is correct, you just bought me half a million HBD teams on WhatIfSports. I love that game."

(note: this guy's math is horrible, i signed him to a 1-year contract for 750k)

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So here are my champs and chumps years. 1967AL, 1968NL, 2002AL. and 2010NL. I'm leaning towards 67AL for the pitching and Yaz.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

This seems like a decent draw:

2000 NL
2010 AL
1991 NL
1976 AL

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
1996 NL
1973 NL
1970 AL
2002 NL

Interesting group.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

After trying to put together a team for a little bit, I do not like these years at all.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

ArtVandelay posted:

After trying to put together a team for a little bit, I do not like these years at all.

Jimmy Wynn's 1968 was pretty good and the Astros had a losing record (for like the first 10 years). Or Rusty Staub!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Here is my 67AL champs team.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

ugh the quadruple AL is forcing me to pick between peak Gorman Thomas, peak Robin Yount, and peak Paul Molitor

'79, '83, '87, 2006 AL is a really weird draw

e: these starting pitchers are really bad. even worse than the 1979-1983 AL team I have in another league

saffi faildotter fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 18, 2012

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Sure the 68NL pitching is better, but I think the 67champs are a better all around team. Feel free to tell me i'm an idiot on this.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I got 2011 AL but god drat it the Blue Jays finished 81-81 last year so I can't use Mr. Bats either way

gently caress

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

.500 teams should really be allowed for both and not neither.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Someone should mention that in the thread. ALthough I think Big T would end up saying no anyway.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Dilemma time:

- 1987 AL Champs gets me some fun players. Specifically, peak Molitor and Alan Trammell.
- 2006 AL Champs gets me a pitching staff that isn't a heap of trash.

The tradeoff is something like Johan Santana, Roy Halladay, Joe Mauer, and '87 Clemens for '87 Molitor, '87 Trammell, '87 Jimmy Key, and '06 Travis Hafner. I think I have to go with '06 AL champs.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So, uh, remember this?

AlleyViper posted:

Kind of wish the All-Star break hadn't come when it did in Hometown

Well, now there's this:

This is only the third longest active win streak in the league :stare:

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Dilemma time:

- 1987 AL Champs gets me some fun players. Specifically, peak Molitor and Alan Trammell.
- 2006 AL Champs gets me a pitching staff that isn't a heap of trash.

The tradeoff is something like Johan Santana, Roy Halladay, Joe Mauer, and '87 Clemens for '87 Molitor, '87 Trammell, '87 Jimmy Key, and '06 Travis Hafner. I think I have to go with '06 AL champs.

I always had my greatest success in that league by building the best possible rotation first, bats are easier to get.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

What do you do when 1994 David Cone is your best rotation option

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I really can't decide between 67 or 68. The pitching is better for 68, but I think the overall team is better for 67.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

2005 Champs gives me a rotation of 2005 Pedro and Chris Carpenter and 1969 Fritz Peterson and Andy Messersmith, I have to go with that.

Unfortunately, I've got no usable shortstops whatsoever. I guess 87 Randy Ready's setting up at 2B and 2005 Utley's handling SS.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

ugh the quadruple AL is forcing me to pick between peak Gorman Thomas, peak Robin Yount, and peak Paul Molitor

'79, '83, '87, 2006 AL is a really weird draw

e: these starting pitchers are really bad. even worse than the 1979-1983 AL team I have in another league

Always choose Gorman

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

I was poking around Zodiac league and this has to be the worst underperformance maybe of all time

http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/playerprofile.asp?ID=33612608&pl=0&type=1

Through 139 games, 1953 Al Rosen (real life: .336/.422/.613, 43 HR, costs $10,150,298) is hitting .238/.286/.326 with 11 home runs

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

It's bad but it's honestly not all that surprising. His true slugging is almost 100 points lower than his SLG#, it has been a pretty home run suppressed league so his 6 HR/100# isn't going to do poo poo for him, he doesn't hit anything else but singles, really, and he's only average-ish at drawing walks.

I mean, when '31 Babe Ruth only has 22 home runs thus far, a guy whose "best" hitting attribute is his 6 HR/100# is in trouble.

I'd argue that my Eddie Cicotte is just as bad or worse.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 19, 2012

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Meanwhile '52 Stan Musial has 18 home runs (21 in real life, 3 HR/100#) and '04 Honus Wagner is 4 doubles over matching his real-life totals in doubles, triples, and home runs (44/14/4 in real life, 48/14/4 in-sim)

Really my only disappointment is 1940 Dolph Camilli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
If I do '96 NL Champs, I get a rotation with Smoltz, Maddux, and Nomo, but I lose access to Barrold. If I do '02 NL Champs, I get Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, and '96 Kevin Brown, and access to either Skinny Barry or Swole Barry. Decisions, decisions.

• Locked thread