Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don think I've seen one mention of the KLX250SF here.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=417

Anyone have one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I don think I've seen one mention of the KLX250SF here.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=417

Anyone have one?

There are a couple in CA. they are never recommended because CA considers them underpowered and overpriced, if anyone asks everybody chants DRZ DRZ DRZ DRZ DRZ DRZ

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

everybody chants DRZ DRZ DRZ DRZ DRZ DRZ

As they should

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

As they should

Agreed, after lusting after one for almost 3 years I am not disappointed.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Olde Weird Tip posted:

As they should
i have never ridden a drz and I am sort of scared to because I don't want anything to come in between my first love, an overweight dualsport, the klr

maybe i am too much of a kawasaki fan boy, because the first time I saw a KLX 400 in a parking lot I had no idea what it was, but I thought it was perfect. I was so disappointed to come home and look it up on the internet to find out it was a re-badged suzuki. Oh well maybe a lime green suzuki is what i need after all.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
The Yamaha would also be better if you wanted a 250 or a 'newer' bike. The kawa's just in a kinda of odd place with the other two common bikes.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

i have never ridden a drz and I am sort of scared to because I don't want anything to come in between my first love, an overweight dualsport, the klr

maybe i am too much of a kawasaki fan boy, because the first time I saw a KLX 400 in a parking lot I had no idea what it was, but I thought it was perfect. I was so disappointed to come home and look it up on the internet to find out it was a re-badged suzuki. Oh well maybe a lime green suzuki is what i need after all.

Come to the dark side! We have(had) bagels!

In all honesty go try a DRZ out, why be afraid of falling in love? Don't be brandist man!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

ain't nothing wrong with sticking to your guns. Get a klx400.
Best of both worlds.

As a former klr owner, I can tell you you'll never look back.
Similar horsepower, but 100 pounds lighter, and it'll rev to the moon compared to that tractor motor you're sitting on right now.
(seriously... I think the soft limiter on my 2000 DRZ E is 11,500?)

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I rode a KLX250 in motard trim and was pretty underwhelmed. Definitely underpowered, as I couldn't even get the thing to wheelie while redlining and dumping the clutch in first. What kind of supermoto can't do that?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I rode a KLX250 in motard trim and was pretty underwhelmed. Definitely underpowered, as I couldn't even get the thing to wheelie while redlining and dumping the clutch in first. What kind of supermoto can't do that?
Erm...I think you answered your own question there... :v:

Though that bike will always have a special place in my heart. That's what I took the MSF on...yeah, my MSF place was :krad:.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

Pretty much beaten, but cut like 100 lbs off your KLR and also give it a better frame and suspension and you're at the DRZ supermoto, basically.

KLRs have their advantages though. I'm sure its more comfortable eating up highway miles on a KLR than a DRZ

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I don't think you can compare any 650cc thumper with a 7500rpm redline to a small-bore single with a 11500rpm redline. You can gear the KLR super high and have it lope down the highway at 75 or 80mph, but still pull stumps coming out of turns in 2nd. It's a different riding experience. The question is not whether one bike is better than the other, but whether your needs as a rider are more aligned with one bike or the other.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I got my DRZ for a few reasons over a KLR. I wanted to be able to hop curbs in town, do smallish 5-7' distance jumps over speed bumps, ride the dirt trails at a good clip, pop wheelies, stoppie and back it in.

Yes, I bought a DRZ to ride like a Dong, and it's awesome!:allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MotoMind posted:

I don't think you can compare any 650cc thumper with a 7500rpm redline to a small-bore single with a 11500rpm redline. You can gear the KLR super high and have it lope down the highway at 75 or 80mph, but still pull stumps coming out of turns in 2nd. It's a different riding experience. The question is not whether one bike is better than the other, but whether your needs as a rider are more aligned with one bike or the other.

Aint nobody doing this with their KLR, son

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Oh sweet sweet forbidden love...

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
If it was a Husky it would have nocturnal emissions.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Know why nobody does that with their KLR?

...because picking the drat thing up in the morning would likely cripple them for life.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Jabs posted:

Know why nobody does that with their KLR?

...because picking the drat thing up in the morning would likely cripple them for life.

but nobody could come up with a joke about fat ones being more fun?

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Hold on... is that... A PETCOCK AUGH

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

sigtrap posted:

Did you blow your fork seal there Siggy?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

but nobody could come up with a joke about fat ones being more fun?
It's because they're not.

They're less flexible.
They cost a bit more to feed in the long run.
You're never going to show pictures of her to your friends and expect them to go "DAYAM, that's sexy! Where did you get her?"
Fewer dress up parts, and the ones that are available are mostly aimed at carrying more stuff for you, not jumping you more frequently - primarily because they don't put out as much relative to their displacement.

They are, however, somewhat less likely to run off with some other dude in a van.

With seriousness, though - as far as the seat comfort thing goes - I had hayden.'s old KLR for a season after riding it back DFW to Denver. I've had the DRZ for about a year.
I'm good for about an hour and ten on either seat before I find myself in need of a walkabout...

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 13, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sigtrap posted:

Thats some Crying Game poo poo right there.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2901196234.html

Is this a decent deal? I don't know much about "older" KTMs - but it's one of the few supermoto bikes that's come up on CL in Denver recently.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

The first time I saw a Vstrom rebadged as a kawa I couldn't believe it, now you're saying that they've done this to the drz too?

Bootstraps, Kawasaki. Bootstraps.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KARMA! posted:

The first time I saw a Vstrom rebadged as a kawa I couldn't believe it, now you're saying that they've done this to the drz too?

Where did you see a V-strom rebadged as a Kawasaki?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KARMA! posted:

That whole parts/bike sharing thing permeates Kawasaki. The rear seat cowl on the Z1000's is the same as the 04-05 GSXR-600's for example. Little things, but they're everywhere.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Snowdens Secret posted:

Where did you see a V-strom rebadged as a Kawasaki?

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/Kawasaki_klv1000%2004.htm

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

What in the gently caress?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

invision posted:

What in the gently caress?

My thoughts exactly... Where do I get one?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Suzuki and Kawasaki have had collaborations on bikes for a long time. When the first KX250F / RMZ250F and the 450F dirt bikes rolled out they were pretty much identical IIRC. It may have only been the 250's now that I think about it but they definitely scavenge back and forth.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
The whole automotive industry is incestuous like that, my Suzuki wagon-r is also an Opel Agila, Opel being a division of GM. My DRZ is a KLX, My BMW f650 is an Aprilla Pegaso, my SV650 shares a lot of its DNA with various Hyosungs. My mothers Ford Galaxy is essentially the same car as her old VW Sharan. her husbands Audi A4 is pretty much the same as my gfs dads VW Passat.

What i'm saying is vehicle designers be lazy yo.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

echomadman posted:

various Hyosungs poorly violated the DNA of my SV650

Fixed :colbert:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bought a new house...commute has a section of road about 3 miles long with over 500 feet of elevation change, a switchback, blind hills and the longest straight section is ~500 feet.

I think I'm going to commute on the CRF. I think I'll die happy.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Bought a new house...commute has a section of road about 3 miles long with over 500 feet of elevation change, a switchback, blind hills and the longest straight section is ~500 feet.

This. This is it. This is the dream we've all been dreaming.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Radbot posted:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2901196234.html

Is this a decent deal? I don't know much about "older" KTMs - but it's one of the few supermoto bikes that's come up on CL in Denver recently.

No this is not a decent deal. Probably worth closer to $3,000 or less. I wouldn't really buy it because the Duke II has the less reliable LC4 engine and for a little more than what that guy is asking you could get yourself a much superior 625 SMC or something.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

NitroSpazzz posted:

Awesome, I live about 1/4 mile from a road with double switchbacks and an almost 900' elevation change through a small mountain range. I take it every day on the way to work and every day on the way home. It's fantastic.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

needknees posted:

This. This is it. This is the dream we've all been dreaming.

http://g.co/maps/htrj5

This is in my backyard, gently caress a muholland and rnickeymouse. Tuna Canyon: Elevation change, about 2000 feet in 4 miles, one way, downhill. Yep.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

http://g.co/maps/htrj5

This is in my backyard, gently caress a muholland and rnickeymouse. Tuna Canyon: Elevation change, about 2000 feet in 4 miles, one way, downhill. Yep.

You need to find a creek road to follow man, check this one out.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=O...&t=m&z=12&via=1

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy
http://g.co/maps/sjwd2

0 to 4000 in 20 miles, surprised I haven't killed myself on it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Would a few upgrades fix it you think? I'm asking cause this popped up and maybe I could get him down a bit on the price. I've been looking for a good deal on a WR250x for awhile and nothing is around under 5k.

• Locked thread