Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Inverse Icarus posted:

Reactionary is +2 init, which is awesome for a trait bonus, but you can't pick another combat trait if you do that.

I'm a total whore for acting first, though.

And rightly so, because +2 initiative is the difference between being confused for an entire battle or taking out a caster before they can cast Confusion on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
My Druid in one of my games has Reactionary and is the Arctic Druid variant, which gives me half my Druid level to initiative in Arctic Areas, on top of my +3 from DEX. The world we're playing in is in an ice age, so whenever we're outside I'm almost guaranteed to get it.

I was thinking of taking Improved Initiative to make it an even +10 at second level, but that would just be stupid, and druids have too many feat options as it is.

Going first as a caster with a bunch of control spells is the easiest way to trivialize an encounter.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
For Traits, other nice options includes, if you have an alchemist in the party, the 'chug potion as move action' one, and pretty much anything that adds a class skill you don't already have. It doesn't help directly towards combat, but secondary tricks become much more feasible.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Funny you mention Alchemist, since I've been building one up for the game we're in right now. Taking the alternate Class bonuses of the Vivisectionist replaces Bombs with Sneak Attack as per the Rogue skill, which scales incredibly well with Feral Mutagen. Being able to deal 1d8 + str followed by two 1d6 + str and stacking the Sneak Attack bonuses further on top of that basically turns me into a walking lawnmower. Later on I can Beast Shape myself into something that has Pounce, Flight, Darkvision or Climb or any other millions of effects and still keep my Mutagen active. I'm considering taking the Tentacle Discovery just so I have another Primary natural attack to abuse Sneak Attack with.

I'm really excited to play him, but still a little worried that I might end up overshadowing the other party members.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Just remember Sneak Attack requires flanking/flat-footed, (especially if your DM is smart and gears for your party, droppin' the Uncanny Reflexes like it's hot) lack of awareness, or helplessness. Tentacles could be very good, I think grappled targets are fair game for Sneak Attack even if they're immune to flat-footed conditions.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

We actually have two different classes that are capable of making Sneak Attacks at the moment, so I figure there's going to be a lot of ganging up on one poor guy going on here. Being able to Enlarge myself as a Move action is also pretty significant, and most everyone else in the party is fairly unoptimized. I'm looking forward to having some fun with this guy and turn him into a Combat Manoeuvre monkey, Bull-Rushing mooks and punching Wizards in the throat. I'm already planning on Powerbombing the Sorceress Big Bad the GM's hinted we'll be facing at the bottom of the dungeon.

It's so much more satisfying than gibbing the guy in a single attack round.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I'm not familiar with Alchemists, what lets you cast Enlarge Person as a move action?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Alchemist Infusions are all in potion form, so if you take the quick potion trait, you can consume them as a move action. When it comes to buffs, that can be a big deal.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

veekie posted:

Alchemist Infusions are all in potion form, so if you take the quick potion trait, you can consume them as a move action. When it comes to buffs, that can be a big deal.

nope

edit: but it's still a really awesome trait for an alchemist to have, because it means you can use alchemical allocation in just one turn: 1 standard action to retrieve & drink an extract of Alchemical Allocation, and 1 move action to "drink" a potion of Stoneskin or something else ridiculous. This trait, and a backpack full of really expensive potions, can basically turn you into a spontaneous caster.

All You Can Eat fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 10, 2012

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
So in my current Pathfinder campaign I'm playing a 4th lvl half-giant battle oracle. I was thinking of taking the Manuever Mastery mystery trait for Improved Grapple, but I've noticed that most things in the bestiary have higher CMD than armor class, so I I'm wondering if this is worth it.

It seems like grapple in Pathfinder is much different from 3.5. Is it possible to make the equivalent of a Reaping Mauler in Pathfinder or did they just make grapple inherently not as good as it was in 3.5?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Grappling is ultimately the same as in 3.5, large creatures still rule because of immense strength, even if their raw size bonuses got smaller. Add to that, your grapple damage is normally inferior to simply power attacking with a large weapon(assuming you are running with big and burly grapplers), and unlike massive creatures with Improved Grab, you can't just hold the enemy with one limb and continue fighting others.
You do skip the touch attack though, and if you can grab without provoking AoOs, its still a nice way to stop non-melee specs from doing anything. Situational really. So...if you mostly face NPC enemies, it can be worth a more thorough investment

So some investment is nice, but you don't want to make a dedicated grappler, generally speaking, unless you know what kind of enemies you'd be up against regularly.

Porkness posted:

nope

edit: but it's still a really awesome trait for an alchemist to have, because it means you can use alchemical allocation in just one turn: 1 standard action to retrieve & drink an extract of Alchemical Allocation, and 1 move action to "drink" a potion of Stoneskin or something else ridiculous. This trait, and a backpack full of really expensive potions, can basically turn you into a spontaneous caster.

Oh they 'fixed' it with the FAQ. Not that I see much of a difference between drinking an extract versus drinking a potion.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Here's my situation: I joined a Pathfinder group a few months back. The group is great, though I'm not really getting into the system; I don't know if it's the system itself or the DM's occasional flights of 'whimsy' (We were going to the 'Plane of the 4 Horsemen,' so our local system buff dropped his Wizard in favor of a Paladin with fat bonuses against Demons. The DM's response? "These are creature type Daemons, not Demons. Those bonuses won't work, sorry!"). I tend to miss a session every month or so due to a call-in at work, and I guess I missed a pretty crucial point, as half the group bolted in different directions as the Big 4 actually showed up. The DM thinks it's pretty likely we're going to die, so he wants us to have a new character 'just in case.'

I have an idea: a grizzled old Half-Orc Witch. She'll start at level 7, which is getting close to where most semblance of balance flies off of the rails if I've heard correctly. I want to make a tough old bird who can support any party, no matter how dysfunctional (to wit: our cleric is planning on making a pure fighter because he hates dealing with/orgainzing magic and feels underpowered; the afore mentioned bolting of two party members in opposite directions despite the fact that we were almost killed by just sleeping in the shithole plane we got dragged to and only survived as a party).

I got some suggestions off of IRC (trade feats for hexes, ect.), but was warned that the DM would probably reign in anything like spamming a sleep spell. So please, if you can think of any build, I'll be happy to discuss it with you.

edit: Even if it's just a list of feats, spells, or an ability score array, I'll do my best to work with the group's system buff to make it work.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 11, 2012

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Grapple isn't something you really want to do damage with much of the time, though. The goal is more to get the victim into a tied-up helpless status as quickly as possible. You can reach this within two rolls (not counting the enemy's escape check), and with Greater Grapple, you can make two rolls per turn if you don't spend your move action. You can either grapple them and make a second check at a -10 penalty to tie them up, or if you can get them pinned and they don't break free on their turn, the tie-up won't require a roll at all (edit: actually, Greater Grapple does not let you.

So, you're usually going to be going the grapple->pin->tie route unless your enemy is weak enough for you to succeed a -10 check (basically never). This means you'll either be moving, grappling, and hoping they don't escape, or grappling, pinning, and hoping they don't escape. Either way, though, they'll be making an escape roll before you can render them helpless. Though on the bright side, I'm pretty sure that their escape on the pinned roll will only reset them to grappled status rather than let them outright escape, which would let you re-pin and tie them within your next turn, but I'm not positive on this and can't find a clarification in the rules.

There's also a bit of fuzziness on whether or not being pinned would constitute a helpless condition (making the tie-up potentially unnecessary), since the victim is considered immobile, bound, and denied their Dex bonus, but I'd say it's up to DM discretion unless anyone can dig up an answer from the developers.

:siren: EDIT: Some of this post is wrong. For example, Greater Grapple refers to maintaining a hold, so it cannot happen on the turn in which the grapple is initiated. Refer to this horrifically grognardy but useful grapple flowchart from d20pfsrd for your grapple-related questions. :siren:

The problem with grapple is, as you said, that monsters tend to have a high CMD, plus a lot of monsters will also have improved grapple and sometimes even grapple-specific abilities that can leave you hosed if they manage to reverse the grapple on you, but it can be excellent in situations/campaigns in which you mostly fight humanoids and NPC enemies. And this is before even mentioning the fact that many, if not most, very-high-level enemies will be either immune to grapple or simply too large to grapple.

A decent option if you do want to make a grapple-oriented character and are using Ultimate Combat is the Tetori monk archtype. I think there's a couple others in other classes, and there's also the maneuver monk, though that's less grapple-specific.

e: ^ Tell your DM he is flat-out bullshitting with regards to Daemons. Paladins do not get bonuses against "demons," they get them against all outsiders of the evil subtype, which includes both demons, daemons, and a load of other things. I mean, he could still be a dick and say that's not how it works under his houserules, but if he's trying to follow PF rules then he's blatantly wrong.

As for witches, I'm not terribly familiar with the class, but in one of our campaigns, an enemy NPC witch revolving around Misfortune, Evil Eye, and Cackle was loving us up pretty badly (though we were a martial-heavy party, so it probably didn't help that our will saves were rear end). Cackle can be used as a move action and extends your hex debuffs on all creatures within 30 feet, and Evil Eye still lasts one round even if the enemy makes the save, so you can effectively make it permanent and unavoidable if you never need to spend a move action.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 11, 2012

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just finished reading the book today after buying it almost a week ago. I really want to try Druid out. Someone run a game!

Also, is it just me or do casters seem like they can 1 shot everything at higher levels? Or at least shut down anything.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Father Wendigo posted:

I have an idea: a grizzled old Half-Orc Witch. She'll start at level 7, which is getting close to where most semblance of balance flies off of the rails if I've heard correctly. I want to make a tough old bird who can support any party, no matter how dysfunctional (to wit: our cleric is planning on making a pure fighter because he hates dealing with/orgainzing magic and feels underpowered; the afore mentioned bolting of two party members in opposite directions despite the fact that we were almost killed by just sleeping in the shithole plane we got dragged to and only survived as a party).

I got some suggestions off of IRC (trade feats for hexes, ect.), but was warned that the DM would probably reign in anything like spamming a sleep spell. So please, if you can think of any build, I'll be happy to discuss it with you.

edit: Even if it's just a list of feats, spells, or an ability score array, I'll do my best to work with the group's system buff to make it work.

Ok, looks like for starters you can't focus too deeply in particular approaches, since overly effective offenses may get the GM's hackles up and the party's liable to go to the loony bin.

So thats 4 hexes and 4th level spells. Put the favored class bonus into hp, since you'd have plenty of skill points and the half orc's special favored bonus isn't especially useful(your familiar mirrors your skills anyway).

Hexes:
Cackle can be useful if your GM would let you to for example, apply Fortune on a party member than cackle through the rest of the day. If you think he might not let you do that, don't bother.

Charm. Doesn't last long, but extremely handy in getting stuff out of social situations. Make sure to clarify if its obvious you're charming someone, if your GM makes everything you used it on hate you afterwards, you may have a Problem.

Evil Eye is a bit iffy, while the debuff can be significant, by this level you have enough spells that using those spells would be better anyway.

Feral Speech. Kinda niche, but its useful for getting info you can't get otherwise. GM dependent as well.

Flight. This is very good. At this level it lets you fly in pretty much every combat, and 1 minute at a go is usually enough to bypass obstacles, etc.

Fortune. Without Cackle, you're best served waiting for 8th level before picking it up, since again, your spells are a better use of that action than giving each ally, one reroll, once a day.

Prehensile Hair....it gives you reach and lets you melee with Int instead of Str. With your BAB however, its not much good in combat other than letting you provide flanking for allies without needing to be adjacent, something which you could just use a longspear for. It lets you do fine manipulation just fine, but you are no rogue(that said if you can't count on another PC to be able to deal with traps and stuff you can pick up a trait to make disable device a class skill, the use the hair to work from relative safety).
One last note, its reach means you can use touch spells more safely. If you'd be using those, grab it.

Slumber. Extremely good, so much that it might set off the GM.

Ward is fairly useful for defensive buffs, especially for people who don't face many attacks. Just plonk it on the frontliners, and 'walk' the ward down the party formation as they eventually fail.

ACFs:
White Haired Witch - Looks fun at a glance, but it relies heavily on using hair reach(which doesn't benefit from weapon enhancements) and CMB, which given your low BAB, is unpleasant. And you give up all hexes, which is a bit much.

Hedge Witch - Spontaneous cures is nice and all, but you don't really gain much from this, especially if theres already a cleric.

Dimensional Occultist - While you do get stuck with a specific patron, the ability to boost CL gained can be pretty handy, especially for long duration buff spells.

Patrons:
Agility - The spells up to your current level are reasonably good, especially Haste, which you can't get otherwise.
Deception - Invisibility, pretty much.
Shadow - Silent Image is always up for creative use and misdirection, while Darkness is good for limiting what your enemies can do until you can spare the time to deal with them. The kicker is that next you'd be getting the Shadow series, which are some of the best spells.

Spells:
4th: You don't have a lot of these(one or two at best), so they need to count.
Black Tentacles - One of the classics, plonk it down and watch everyone in the area get grabbed, especially if they are humanoid. Most humanoids would find it tricky to deal with a +12 CMB at this level, and its large enough that it being difficult terrain would ensure that most of them would face two attacks from it before they get out of the area, unless they double move(and thus, you gained one action that they wasted doing nothing but leave the zone)

Confusion - A classic save-or-be-screwed, its somewhat unreliable(though if they went and attacked their allies its totally worth it), so don't take it until you have more 4ths per day.

Enervation - Unless you have some way to slap metamagic on it, not yet. With the right metamagic, this thing can easily ream your opponent's stats, but at present it might do little more than just hit them with a -1 at no save.

Phantasmal Killer - The first real Save or Die you have, and generally a longshot unless you improved your illusion DCs a lot.

Solid Fog - Dual use, it works for defense and offense alike, whether you're putting it up to buy time for buffs and healing, or trapping enemies in it.

Touch of Slime - This eventually kills someone you touch with it. If they fail the first save you just need to avoid them until they run out of Con or nuke it off. Useful if you just want someone dead.

3rd: You got a few more of these, enough to dedicate a slot or two to utility stuff rather than just combat.

Arcane Sight - Useful for information, and an easy way to see through the common magical tricks, identify magical effects etc.

Ash Storm - Similar to fog spells, except its bigger and lasts less duration. Just plonk your enemies into the middle of it and they won't bother you for two rounds.

Bestow Curse - Probably the single best targeted debuff of the level.

Clairaudience/clairvoyance - Great for spying and investigating suspicious locations safely.

Dispel Magic - I'd probably leave it to the cleric who knows it automatically, but theres no harm having one of these in a pinch.

Fly - Less for yourself(theres the hex for this if you want), more for putting the melee guy in the air so he can engage flying enemies.

Stinking Cloud - If they fail the save to this, they're basically out of the fight. If they manage to save they are still stuck in a fog and need to get out. Ash storm is better at cutting off vision, but stinking cloud makes them continue to suffer even if they get out of it. Which you use is a matter of taste.

Suggestion - First direct control spell you have. Good to have in and out of combat.

That should cover most core competencies.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Also, is it just me or do casters seem like they can 1 shot everything at higher levels? Or at least shut down anything.
It's not just you. The problem's not as bad as it is in 3.5, but Caster Supremacy really starts to hit home some time around 12th level.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Is there any existing 3.5/Pathfinder rules or supplements for dealing with magic as pseudo-radiation or fueled by pseudo-radioactive materials? Similar to Warpstone/Weirdstone in WHFB/Mordheim?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

veekie posted:

Cackle can be useful if your GM would let you to for example, apply Fortune on a party member than cackle through the rest of the day. If you think he might not let you do that, don't bother.

Why the hell would you let someone cackle all day, as a GM?

The strategic choices in combat are really interesting, because you can forgo your move and cast/cackle.

I'd even allow the witch to cackle for a skill check that took longer than a round if it was thematically appropriate.

But casting Fortune on everyone at the start of the day and just cackling nonstop? That's absurd.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

veekie posted:

Charm. Doesn't last long, but extremely handy in getting stuff out of social situations. Make sure to clarify if its obvious you're charming someone, if your GM makes everything you used it on hate you afterwards, you may have a Problem.

I don't really like the Charm hex, and I love enchantment spells. It only lasts a number of rounds equal to your INT modifier. At lower levels that's no time at all, unless you cackle madly mid conversation.

quote:

Evil Eye is a bit iffy, while the debuff can be significant, by this level you have enough spells that using those spells would be better anyway.

This is an amazing hex for low-level witches. It gives you something to do every round, even if you run out of spells. -2 to AC this round, -2 to hit next round, -2 to saves the round after, etc. Combined with cackle, even if they make their save they're still affected as long as you can keep cackling.

Like you said, as you get more spells, you have more poo poo you could be doing every round.

The penalty is UNTYPED, which means it stacks with everything else.

quote:

Flight. This is very good. At this level it lets you fly in pretty much every combat, and 1 minute at a go is usually enough to bypass obstacles, etc.

The best hex there is.

quote:

Fortune. Without Cackle, you're best served waiting for 8th level before picking it up, since again, your spells are a better use of that action than giving each ally, one reroll, once a day.

Fortune and Cackle do work wonders together, but using it all day like you said is absurd. If you Fortune and Cackle in the same round, it lasts 2 rounds, and you can keep it going by cackling every round. Round 2 you can fortune someone else (or misfortune an enemy) and cackle again, to keep them rolling.

quote:

Slumber. Extremely good, so much that it might set off the GM.

This hex really annoys me because the roll happens behind the DM screen and if the DM doesn't want the BBEG to fall asleep, the BBEG doesn't fall asleep.

Not to mention undead, constructs, elves, whatever.

quote:

Ward is fairly useful for defensive buffs, especially for people who don't face many attacks. Just plonk it on the frontliners, and 'walk' the ward down the party formation as they eventually fail.

Ward is Resistance and Deflection bonuses, which do not stack with the easily acquired Rings and Cloaks.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I'm also going to suggest you consider the Healing hex.

At first, it's a free CLW for everyone in your party once per day. At 5th, it becomes a CMW. For your theoretical 7th level witch that's 2d8+7 healing per character per day. In a small party, that might not seem great, but in a group of 4+, that's a lot of spells you don't have to slot, and that you can cast quasi-spontaneously.

Also, if you find an NPC bleeding on the floor? You can heal him for free.

Fighting undead? You get a free touch attack worth 2d8+7 on every single one of them.

You mentioned something about your Cleric wanting to be a Fighter, or something, and if you need some backup healing a Witch can supplement a mixed-class healer well enough.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

e:whoops nevermind.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 11, 2012

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Playing a witch in my current table top game. So far it has been effective. Healing Hex is awesome. We are only a 3-person party and we didn't want a dedicated heal bot so we all chose classes with healing potetial. The witch with a healing hex more than pulls her weight, and once the Paladin gets his lay on hands and the Alchemist gets that infusion to allow him to apply extracts to others, we'll have a good decentralized healing scheme going.

Evil Eye has been great. Slumber looks stupidly broken (i.e. great for you). Misfortune and Forune look solid. I ended up chosing the Charm hex because it fit my character concept, but the short duration does limit it. It feels more like a Jedi mind trick sort of power. "Hi friend, can I see your keys for a second? Thanks. Oh you look sleepy." My DM has been kind enough to factor it into any generalized gather info checks we try.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

kicks forts posted:

Is there any existing 3.5/Pathfinder rules or supplements for dealing with magic as pseudo-radiation or fueled by pseudo-radioactive materials? Similar to Warpstone/Weirdstone in WHFB/Mordheim?

You could probably use the Taint rules as a good starting point.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Thanks, that's actually exactly what I was looking for.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I am totally going to hack that into consequences for my d20fate module.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Inverse Icarus posted:

I'm also going to suggest you consider the Healing hex.

At first, it's a free CLW for everyone in your party once per day. At 5th, it becomes a CMW. For your theoretical 7th level witch that's 2d8+7 healing per character per day. In a small party, that might not seem great, but in a group of 4+, that's a lot of spells you don't have to slot, and that you can cast quasi-spontaneously.

Also, if you find an NPC bleeding on the floor? You can heal him for free.

Fighting undead? You get a free touch attack worth 2d8+7 on every single one of them.

You mentioned something about your Cleric wanting to be a Fighter, or something, and if you need some backup healing a Witch can supplement a mixed-class healer well enough.

With a cleric in the party, it'd probably be a bit redundant I think. Channel positive is going to be better than the healing hex and they get it automatically.

For the cackle+fortune thing, its more about having better things to do with the standard action you need to deploy it, at level 7 the witch has enough spell slots to have a better spell to use for pretty much all encounters, unless you can enter into combat with the hex already active. Same goes for Evil Eye, its great but your spells are better and by this level you can blow 4 spell levels per encounter for 4 encounters a day and not run out.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

veekie posted:

Inverse Icarus posted:

With a cleric in the party, it'd probably be a bit redundant I think. Channel positive is going to be better than the healing hex and they get it automatically.
You misunderstood me. The current cleric is being played by a guy who is the antithesis of system mastery. Over the two years he's played his cleric, he's increasingly felt that he's barely treading water when it comes to fighting, surviving, or healing. Further, he doesn't like having to deal with spell lists, slots, and the oh-so-goddamned many situational rules that spring up when he tries to do something. So his current plan is to get his cleric to safety, retire her, and then start a new Fighter built exclusively to survive - that way, he feels he'll at least do a good job surviving and hitting.

Also, we had that impending session I alluded to previously tonight. I typed up a wall of text explaining what happened, but who cares: Save or Die with a blast radius of over 100 feet gets dropped within five minutes of sitting down, and I and my mount get insta-killed within the first seven minutes of a four hour session. ~Good Times~

One of the other players statted and wrote up a character for me, a STR based Bard/Dragon claw something-or-other. It sounded weird as hell, but he said Bards only really need a CHA of 16 to work. Still, I have to admit that I'm kind of interested in the Witch. Thoughts?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Then yes, you'd want the Healing Hex. It works miles better than preparing the spells. The bard works too, bards don't take as much Cha as you'd think, since their spellcasting is already behind, they don't generally count on spell saves, you can make a workable melee or archery bard who mainly starts up the music and then starts fighting as normal. Its a bit different to play though.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

You could also try the Hedge Witch archetype from Ultimate Magic, which has the ability to spend a prepared spell to use an equivalent-level cure spell in its place. That could be too much healing specialization for your taste, though, since it requires you to sacrifice your 4th level and 8th level hexes.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Probably better to just buy a wand or two for healing beyond the hex.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Honestly, if you're going to take Healing Hex, spend one of your feats on Extra Hex. It's useful, yes, but it's not so useful you want it over Slumber or Cackle or Flight.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, at this level, in this circumstance, I'd advocate the following for his current party and GM.
Healing Hex
Flight

Then one of these for offense
Evil Eye
Sleep

And the last for some other usage. Fortune is nice, but it doesn't have significant increase in usage over your spells, unless you can cackle to extend it through the pre-encounter wait.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

So that Alchemist I made, the one that I was really excited about?

Got Dominated within the first round of the first combat and then was hit with a Max Damage x4 Crit from the Gunslinger while he was at 0 HP, for a total of about 54 or so. It was such a hilarious outcome that we retconned him to being a secret agent of the Big Bad the whole time, only revealing himself at the last second in a brilliant masterstroke. I at least got to beat up the Gunslinger a little bit beforehand.

We're onto the second book now and I'm having a hard time deciding the kind of class I want to play. I enjoy the Martial, Get In Your Face classes, but our party of 3 is having a tough time without any spellcasters to cover us, so it looks like Cleric or Druid is the way to go here. We've just hit level 4 as well.

Anyone have any suggestions for a fun to play build for Clerics or Druids?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Here's a crazy question I can't quite iron out. When using a wand or staff, what is the DC to save against the spell? It's usually 10 + caster level + casting attribute. With a wand I'm assuming that it's the lowest level to create the wand (for example, caster level 5 for Wizard Fireball), and a staff says it's CL in the description, but do you use the wielder's caster attribute in that case?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

We're onto the second book now and I'm having a hard time deciding the kind of class I want to play. I enjoy the Martial, Get In Your Face classes, but our party of 3 is having a tough time without any spellcasters to cover us, so it looks like Cleric or Druid is the way to go here. We've just hit level 4 as well.

You could also try the Magus or Inquisitor, which can both be built for fun Get Up In Your Face gameplay and still retain some of the spell utility of primary casters.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Mortanis posted:

Here's a crazy question I can't quite iron out. When using a wand or staff, what is the DC to save against the spell? It's usually 10 + caster level + casting attribute. With a wand I'm assuming that it's the lowest level to create the wand (for example, caster level 5 for Wizard Fireball), and a staff says it's CL in the description, but do you use the wielder's caster attribute in that case?

The DCs are based on the caster when cast from the staff.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Cocks Cable posted:

Playing a witch in my current table top game. So far it has been effective. Healing Hex is awesome. We are only a 3-person party and we didn't want a dedicated heal bot so we all chose classes with healing potetial. The witch with a healing hex more than pulls her weight, and once the Paladin gets his lay on hands and the Alchemist gets that infusion to allow him to apply extracts to others, we'll have a good decentralized healing scheme going.

Evil Eye has been great. Slumber looks stupidly broken (i.e. great for you). Misfortune and Forune look solid. I ended up chosing the Charm hex because it fit my character concept, but the short duration does limit it. It feels more like a Jedi mind trick sort of power. "Hi friend, can I see your keys for a second? Thanks. Oh you look sleepy." My DM has been kind enough to factor it into any generalized gather info checks we try.

Protip for Charm: don't completely dump Cha and put points into Diplomacy. Charm them into Friendly, then make a Diplomacy check to make the Helpful stick.

Witches and Alchemists have Use Magic Device, so that Healing Hex could easily be switched out for a Wand of Cure Light Wounds/that devil blood fast healing 1st level spell. Fortune + Cackle averages out to like +5 to every roll the target makes, given reroll probabilities. Vivisectionist Alchemists are good "in your face" classes (better than the Rogue), and Beastmorphers just get goofy at level 10.

If you want to stab and magic things, play a Cleric or a Druid. Magi aren't all that good, especially since they don't get full BAB, don't get full casting and have to eat it to get their casting and striking mix on. Inquisitors are roguish Pallies or Clerics without spells, so you could just play a Paladin or a Cleric. With the Dervish Dancer, Arcane Duelist, Archaeologist and Sound Striker archetypes, Bards are drat good Fighter/Magic User mixes now. Battle Mystery Oracles make good spellpunchers, since they can buy Fighter proficiencies as one of their class abilities, and get a bunch of other neat things (like spells).

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

quote:

Witches and Alchemists have Use Magic Device, so that Healing Hex could easily be switched out for a Wand of Cure Light Wounds/that devil blood fast healing 1st level spell.
Don't need to, they got Cures on their list so they can use wands anyway.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Inquisitors struck me as more of a divine bard except with an even greater martial bent.

Oracles = Sorcerers
Clerics = Wizards
Inquisitor = Bard
Paladins = Hex Blade (or Magus in PF?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Clerics and druids both make good melee combatants if you focus on high strength and self-buffs/wildshaping. That way you can be a get in your face guy and still have the spellcasting to back it up.