Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Robo Pope posted:

Question is if they resurrected from that would they kill the person that ate them all chestburster style?
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
We've seen how troll society works. There's probably specific protocol for eating coworkers.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

President Ark posted:

I'm surprised "humans have the same blood color as me so who gives a gently caress, really" didn't come up in his musings at all.

... unless Gamzee already killed and ate Rose and Dave. :ohdear:

But AFAIK they still consider the humans as lesser beings so it's probably more of an embarrassment to share blood color with them. The humans all have the lowest of the blood colors, therefore they're a lower species than all trolls, except Karkat who is the lowliest troll. That's probably the kind of mentality a troll like Karkat would have.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

President Ark posted:

I'm surprised "humans have the same blood color as me so who gives a gently caress, really" didn't come up in his musings at all.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's thought this.

I'm also surprised that the fact that his blood color is similar to Aradia's hasn't come up either (unless it has and I've just forgotten). Then again Aradia was dead and/or in a blue-blooded soulbot for a while so I don't think he's ever actually seen Aradia's blood beyond her chat color and I don't remember her god tier self ever getting hurt either unless she cried at some point.

And quite honestly if you were to show me the two blood colors and ask me which one more closely resembled human blood, I would probably point to Aradia's.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Something to keep in mind is that that Aradia's blood isn't a mutation, it's just at the bottom end of the caste. Karkat's blood isn't even in the system so it just dumps him at the very bottom. Also, I'm pretty sure everyone knew Aradia's blood color. She didn't really go through any effort to hide it like Karkat did. It looks like in troll society displaying your blood color is pretty normal, only "freaks" like Karkat hide them.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Really hoping Karkat uses the intervening three years to grow lovely adolescent facial hair.

I will also accept an ironic dirt-stache on Dave.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Wrist Watch posted:

Something to keep in mind is that that Aradia's blood isn't a mutation, it's just at the bottom end of the caste. Karkat's blood isn't even in the system so it just dumps him at the very bottom. Also, I'm pretty sure everyone knew Aradia's blood color. She didn't really go through any effort to hide it like Karkat did. It looks like in troll society displaying your blood color is pretty normal, only "freaks" like Karkat hide them.

Yeah, I'm aware of this. I just always found it odd that if your blood color is red and it is dark enough, it is normal, albeit bottom caste, but if it happens to be bright, then it is a mutation.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Lady of the Beech posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's thought this.

I'm also surprised that the fact that his blood color is similar to Aradia's hasn't come up either (unless it has and I've just forgotten). Then again Aradia was dead and/or in a blue-blooded soulbot for a while so I don't think he's ever actually seen Aradia's blood beyond her chat color and I don't remember her god tier self ever getting hurt either unless she cried at some point.

And quite honestly if you were to show me the two blood colors and ask me which one more closely resembled human blood, I would probably point to Aradia's.

I was always under the impression that they called it "rust blood" for a reason. That it's more of a brownish brick red than human blood.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, I'm aware of this. I just always found it odd that if your blood color is red and it is dark enough, it is normal, albeit bottom caste, but if it happens to be bright, then it is a mutation.

I think the issue is less that it's red, and more that it's bright red. All the troll blood colors have a specific dark and dullness to them, except for Karkat's which is cranked up high, and happens to correspond to the nearly cartoonishly bright human blood in the comic. He'd be considered just as much of a freak if his blood was bright blue or bright green.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just imagine if somebody IRL had nearly blood so bright it was nearly (not actually, that's Kanaya's domain) phosphorescent.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Who says red is the lowest colour? I don't think it's ever explicitly mentioned by anyone in the comic (correct me if I'm wrong).

I figured the point of it is that it unites the spectrum in a loop. With Karkat / the sufferer present, blood colours can no longer be organised in a hierarchy. That fits with the christ myth he's got going on. The carpenter / king, the first shall be last and the last shall be first etc.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Tollymain posted:

Just imagine if somebody IRL had nearly blood so bright it was nearly (not actually, that's Kanaya's domain) phosphorescent.

Arterial blood is actually bright red. It's just venous blood that looks dark bluish red, and that's what we usually see.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Fagtastic posted:

Who says red is the lowest colour? I don't think it's ever explicitly mentioned by anyone in the comic (correct me if I'm wrong).

I figured the point of it is that it unites the spectrum in a loop. With Karkat / the sufferer present, blood colours can no longer be organised in a hierarchy. That fits with the christ myth he's got going on. The carpenter / king, the first shall be last and the last shall be first etc.

I really like this theory, and it's probably true that if you picked a colour somewhere between rust blood and tyrian purple it would be a bright candy red, so it makes sense. the only issue with it is that fact that the heirarchy is based on more then just colour - there are physical differences to the trolls beyond their blood colour, the ones on the higher end of the spectrum live for thousands of years and the lower ones die really quickly. Unless karkat suddenly turns around and says 'I'M SECRETLY 100 loving SWEEPS OLD' then it doesn't really work.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Fagtastic posted:

Equius seems to think so.

CT: D --> It's just pleasant to consort with one of lesser breeding who clearly understands her place
AA: ive underst00d f0r s0me time that this will be my r0le
AA: t0 functi0n as y0ur server player
AA: and that y0u w0uld be the team leader as the first in the chain
CT: D --> Perfect
CT: D --> Then we are on the same page
CT: D --> I 100k forward to seeing how well you serve me, server player
AA: uh
AA: thats n0t quite the meaning 0f the w0rd server
CT: D --> What do you mean
AA: as y0ur server i manipulate y0ur envir0nment t0 help y0u advance
CT: D --> I don't understand
CT: D --> Are you
CT: D --> Are you saying
CT: D --> That
CT: D --> You are in a position of control over me
AA: i supp0se s0
CT: D --> Oh
AA: what
CT: D --> Oh my God
AA: 0_0
CT: D --> This is
CT: D --> Impropriety of a caliber I cannot even
CT: D --> It's
CT: D --> You are as low on the hemosprectrum as possible
CT: D --> To consider that someone so low could be in a position of authority over me is
CT: D --> It's just so
CT: D --> Disgusting

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Andrew fielded this question on formspring a long while ago - Karkat's blood is both unequivocally the lowest blood and a weird mutant blood. So under normal circumstances he'd be doubly outcast.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Rooreelooo posted:

there are physical differences to the trolls beyond their blood colour, the ones on the higher end of the spectrum live for thousands of years and the lower ones die really quickly.

Potential retcon possibility:
- TrollQueen has life-extending powers
- It is in her interest to prop up the blood-color caste system, since it leaves her in charge.
- TrollQueen has been life-boosting nobles on a gradient based on blood color in secret this whole time.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Regy Rusty posted:

Andrew fielded this question on formspring a long while ago - Karkat's blood is both unequivocally the lowest blood and a weird mutant blood. So under normal circumstances he'd be doubly outcast.

Yeah on a HSV color wheel it's the same hue as Aradia's blood, just with the value turned up. The other blood colors are all approximately 30 degrees of hue apart from each other, except for the 60 degree space between Nepeta and Kanaya where pure green would normally be. You can see this color in the Grand Highblood's wall paintings though.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Karkat has gotten some pretty sweet loot, it seems.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobulus posted:

Potential retcon possibility:
- TrollQueen has life-extending powers
- It is in her interest to prop up the blood-color caste system, since it leaves her in charge.
- TrollQueen has been life-boosting nobles on a gradient based on blood color in secret this whole time.

What of the Marquise? She spent a few hundred years (at least) as an outlaw, without too many ill effects that I could see.

Also concerning arterial blood yeah that's something I should have remembered. Man, being a medtech isn't much use if you're tired eh?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The return of the giant walking crab-puter is clearly the thing we've all been waiting for. It is truly the height of incredibly inconvenient mobile computing.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Didn't they mention a specific blood color between Nepeta and Sollux that we haven't seen yet?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The only blood color that we haven't seen is the color Karkat would be if he wasn't a mutant, which is a lime color somewhere around Nepeta and Kanaya Sollux, yeah.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Isn't Calmasis/UU's jacket that color?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

WAR FOOT posted:

Karkat has gotten some pretty sweet loot, it seems.
Looks like he's become interested in human romcoms as well.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Glad to see CG is getting to appreciate lovely earth movies.

I can just picture the process of coercing him into watching them.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
To be fair, it's not like Karkat watching human romcoms is a new thing.

Act 4 posted:

CG: I'VE HEARD OF JOHN CUSACK I THINK.
CG: WASN'T HE IN SERENDIPITY?
CG: THAT WAS PRETTY GREAT FOR A HUMAN FLICK.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You guys are missing the important thing: He's got a recuperacoon again!

I wonder if they got Gamzee hooked on the recup' juice again, or if he's learned to moderate his sanity?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I had no idea how much I missed Karkat yelling at himself.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

VJeff posted:

I had no idea how much I missed Karkat yelling at himself.

"I HEAR YOU MAN." :allears:

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007
Does anyone know what the deal is with John, Dave and Rose's shirts in the Topatoco store? They're all listed as 'last chance', are they being removed from the store?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The Sezza posted:

Does anyone know what the deal is with John, Dave and Rose's shirts in the Topatoco store? They're all listed as 'last chance', are they being removed from the store?

Don't know the actual answer, but my guess would be that they get printed in rounds, and the current round is about to run out, meaning that after this, you'll only get a chance to order if/when they make another round.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Bobulus posted:

You guys are missing the important thing: He's got a recuperacoon again!

I wonder if they got Gamzee hooked on the recup' juice again, or if he's learned to moderate his sanity?

Kanaya is a hell of a deterrent.

Acidophilus
Aug 27, 2009

What's all this then?
Oh Karkat, it is completely reasonable to be unsettled by encountering, (at random) the ghostly apparitions of your friends as you fly the bubbles of unreality they are suspended in, and also to be disquieted by their blithe acceptance of this state. That is in fact one of the most reasonable things in this comic.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah it's rather refreshing considering how obviously not-so-great a thing the dream bubbles are that somebody should feel that way. Karkat's always had some of the most reasonable and understandable opinions and reactions, particularly to death and responsibility.

Also there can be no doubt that he's getting on ever so slightly better with his future self here. I mean, not much better, but juuuust enough that I get the feeling that if we check in with him once at each of the three years of travel, we just might see him mellow out and defuse his self-hatred.

It's a big guess, but this is a big time-skip, it's a good time for Hussie to do some major character shuffling since three years of adolescence to brew on the events of the game thus far is a useful narrative tool.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Isn't Calmasis/UU's jacket that color?

This I believe is yet another reason to buy into the "UU/uu is actually A1's Karkat/Sufferer" theory.

Also this memo/pesterlog is going to get so much better in the next couple of pages, when someone several months in the future like Dave or even better Future-er Karkat comes accross it and begins to take part in it.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

See, apparently the troll race was supposed to be rather peaceful and not a horrible bloody violent misohemic totalitarian autocracy until Doc Scratch and/or Lord English started messing with them, and since Scratch does not exist in A1 to mess with them it is not apparent to me why there would need to be a "sufferer" in A1.

"Misohemic" or "Misohaemic" = μισέω (miseō, I hate) + αἷμα (haima, blood) = "hatred of blood".

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 12, 2012

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

"Misohemic" or "Misohaemic" = μισέω (miseō, I hate) + αἷμα (haima, blood) = "hatred of blood".
Now THERE'S a cool word!

Question: does anyone know what the gently caress re: mini-Condesce in voidrealm (and I guess alternate Mindfang too?), i.e. any logical theories circulating, or is that just totally "who knows" for the moment?

I kinda wish Hussie would throw out something like that, at least once, and then never mention it again and act like it never happened. The fan reactions would be hilarious.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

See, apparently the troll race was supposed to be rather peaceful and not a horrible bloody violent misohemic totalitarian autocracy until Doc Scratch and/or Lord English started messing with them, and since Scratch does not exist in A1 to mess with them it is not apparent to me why there would need to be a "sufferer" in A1.

"The Sufferer" is just the most commonly used title for A2 Karkat's ancestor, who was one of the original players in the A1 game session. It's the main name we have for him, even though he presumably did not have that role in the A1 world.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I love making words, what can I say? :3:

As for theories on young Condesce and young Mindfang, I think all that's known about them is that they are probably the A1 descendants conjugate to the A2 ancestors, and that Mindfang is wearing a sufferer sign so she must have affiliation with UU, or UU and young Mindfang share an affiliation with the same person, who I think is either old Karkat or young Sufferer.

We've also seen other dead trolls in the dream bubbles Roxy was sleepfloating through, like dead god-tier Karkat with a dead Derse dream Nepeta on what looks like the Land of Little Cubes and Tea. These might be young Sufferer and young Disciple respectively.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Waffnuffly posted:

Now THERE'S a cool word!

Question: does anyone know what the gently caress re: mini-Condesce in voidrealm (and I guess alternate Mindfang too?), i.e. any logical theories circulating, or is that just totally "who knows" for the moment?

I kinda wish Hussie would throw out something like that, at least once, and then never mention it again and act like it never happened. The fan reactions would be hilarious.

My theory is that they are the original versions from the scratched session that created the Alternia our "current" trolls are from. They have the dead white eyes (Lil' Condesce didn't when the page was first up, but they were later edited in, in case you missed it), so I guess their deaths might illustrate how their session was going to poo poo as they made the decision to cause a scratch.

Lil' Mindfang has a Sufferer symbol, so my baseless theory is that she's the Troll equivalent of a good Christian girl.