Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

wormil posted:

Series 2 of Sherlock hasn't even aired in the US yet. I'm not even sure if it has finished in the UK.

Season 2 has finished (with another cliffhanger of course). Season 3 will be in another year or so though, because both actors have Hollywood commitments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

raven77 posted:

I've only watched about half of the first season of Sons of Anarchy but it's pretty entertaining and full of good, exciting drama so far. However, I've heard the second season isn't as awesome, so take that for what it's worth.

I'd highly disagree, the second season is where I'd say the show hit its peak.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.

BoyGenius posted:

The Man From Nowhere is a pretty awesome revenge movie. I've seen it four times now and highly recommend it. It's in subtitles and has a decent plot and plenty of action/martial arts.

Watching this right now. Checking in to say that "pawnshop ghost" looks a lot like the persona 3 main character. And the little girl is cute.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just started watching Spork on a whim and it is loving hilarious. I have tears coming out of my eyes right now. It is kind of like a darker Napolean Dynamite with booty dancing.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The Dregs posted:

I just started watching Spork on a whim and it is loving hilarious. I have tears coming out of my eyes right now. It is kind of like a darker Napolean Dynamite with booty dancing.

We had very different experiences. I saw the awkwardness of Napoleon Dynamite mixed with the retarded faux teen dialogue of Juno with none of the charm that made those movies entertaining.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Quick question; when you're viewing a season of a series each episode has a progress bar (if you've watched them), sometimes the progress bar is red instead of gray, is there a reason behind this?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge is still up and worth watching, it's a crazy Japanese movie about a dude in high school who stumbles across a girl who is fighting a giant, cloak-wrapped man wielding a chainsaw. Surprisingly well filmed, it's a bit violent, but not of the gore-soaked variety, it is also pretty funny and even verges on being rather touching. And despite having several pretty good action set pieces it's actually about something. Thematic spoilers I guess: it's about grief, loss and also growing up.

They recently added Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, I'll let wiki sum it up:

quote:

is a 1999 American crime action film written and directed by Jim Jarmusch. Forest Whitaker stars as the title character, the mysterious "Ghost Dog", a hitman in the employ of the Mafia, who follows the ancient code of the samurai as outlined in the book of Yamamoto Tsunetomo's recorded sayings, Hagakure. The film is an homage to Jean-Pierre Melville's 1967 film Le Samouraļ.

I've loved this movie since I saw it in the theaters, so it's cool to see it pop up on Netflix.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Liku posted:

Quick question; when you're viewing a season of a series each episode has a progress bar (if you've watched them), sometimes the progress bar is red instead of gray, is there a reason behind this?

The grey bars are episodes you've watched completely and red is for partially watched.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's what I thought it was too, but all of the episodes with gray bars aren't fully watched because I stopped at the start of the credits, same goes for the episode with the red bar. :iiam:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

a kitten posted:

They recently added Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, I'll let wiki sum it up:

I've loved this movie since I saw it in the theaters, so it's cool to see it pop up on Netflix.

Wait, Ghost Dog is actually a good movie? I was always turned off by the ridiculous name which didn't match up to the cover art at all and never even gave it a chance. I remember seeing it in Blockbuster and just shaking my head thinking it was one of those terrible strait-to-dvd movies that good actors occasionally have to do.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's a Jarmuch indie film crammed full of homages and pretty well crafted.

Wikipedia article that I should have used the first time posted:

Following artistic success and critical acclaim in the American independent film community, he achieved mainstream renown with his far-East philosophical crime film Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, shot in Jersey City and starring Forest Whitaker as a young inner-city man who has found purpose for his life by unyieldingly conforming it to the Hagakure, an 18th-century philosophy text and training manual for samurai, becoming, as directed, a terrifyingly deadly hit-man for a local mob boss to whom he may owe a debt, and who then betrays him. The soundtrack was supplied by RZA of the Wu-Tang Clan. The film was unique among other things for the number of books important to and discussed by its characters, most of them listed bibliographically as part of the end credits. The film is also considered to be an homage to Le Samourai, a 1967 French New Wave film by auteur Jean-Pierre Melville, which starred renowned French actor Alain Delon in a strikingly similar role and narrative.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Liku posted:

That's what I thought it was too, but all of the episodes with gray bars aren't fully watched because I stopped at the start of the credits, same goes for the episode with the red bar. :iiam:

Yeah, Netflix is really arbitrary in its determination of what constitutes completely and partially watched.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Watched all but the last 2 seconds of the credits? PARTIALLY WATCHED

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

We had very different experiences. I saw the awkwardness of Napoleon Dynamite mixed with the retarded faux teen dialogue of Juno with none of the charm that made those movies entertaining.

I can really see how it could go both ways, but it worked for me. I hated Juno.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.
I didn't see this mentioned here, maybe it was in the CD thread, but 8 of the 9 Hellraiser movies are available right now, and according to http://www.streamingsoon.com/ the ninth will be up on April 1st.

I had no idea there were that many made, I think I've only seen... 3 or 4 before I stopped paying attention to the series.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Can anybody recommend any of the anime on Netflix? Not sure if I should ask here or the anime forum. I don't actually like the majority of anime, especially the cutesy stuff. Akira and Vampire Hunter D were always enjoyable though. Also some movie called Steamboy.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Samurai Champloo for historical Japanese hip-hop action.
Mushi-shi for artistically gorgeous spirit hunting.
Gurren Lagaan for crazy over-the-top mech fighting.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a fan of the anime Noir has it's faults but I liked it.

Honestly though a good majority of anime on Netflix streaming is poo poo no one should watch.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Mushi-shi for artistically gorgeous spirit hunting.

Also recommending this. Mushi-Shi is pretty much a nature documentary about Japanese cryptids that takes place in a closed-off 19th century Japan. There's not a thing "anime" about it (Studio Ghibli films and Cowboy Bebop are more anime than Mushishi) and has amazing writing, art, and sound. No samurai, no ninjas, no demons or any highschool girl magic, just a dude who travels across Japan and investigates folk tales. Even the main character's odd hair color is given a good reason early on in the series. The first two episodes involve kids, but don't let that turn you off. Mushi-Shi is seriously a downright amazing show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

particle409 posted:

Can anybody recommend any of the anime on Netflix?

I'm not really an anime fan either but...

I enjoyed Speed Grapher, most of it anyway. The story meanders a bit about 2/3 through and the ending is anticlimactic but overall I liked it. Basically it's about a former war photographer, Saiga, and his efforts to save a young girl, Kagura, from a cult. His relationship with her at times borders on inappropriate and is always awkward. Saiga's sort-of girlfriend, a police detective, becomes jealous and spiteful since Saiga loses interest in sex after meeting Kagura. Eventually he meets his nemesis, Suitengu, and the two discover they crossed paths in the war. Both antagonist and protagonist are well written and developed characters, each having a sympathetic motivation that drives them even as they undesirably pit themselves against one another. There is a lot of depraved sexual content and disgusting characters which may turn off some people.

Gurren Lagaan I watch occasionally. It has many typical anime elements but also very exciting fight scenes. I'm still in the first season and there are surprises along the way.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Noein is pretty good. It has a different art style than most anime but it makes for very fluid action. It's also strange in that part of the series is about a bunch of kids hanging out and the other part is about a post apocalyptic wasteland so you might think one side is more filler than than the other.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Eden of the East is really good and not all that anime, and has the best name for a self inflicted terrorist attack in the history of fiction.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
It may have been there for a while, but I just noticed that Un Chien Andalou is available for instant view. It is as weird as ever.

loosenukes
Feb 14, 2005

you don't put your best missile in your crummiest hole
Just marathoned through Blue Mountain State. Sure it's basically American Pie with almost no actual football, but the second and third seasons are pretty funny.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I watched Word Wars the other day and really enjoyed it. It's a documentary that follows 4 people on the pro Scrabble circuit for about a year until they build up to the 2002 national championships. The characters are interesting, to say the least, and it's fairly amazing how they can be geniuses on one hand and total deadbeats on the other as they basically bum it around the country to earn anything they can through Scrabble. It's light and an easy watch so I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I finally watched Luther after it has been suggested to me for such a long time, and ya, jump on the Luther bandwagon. I have never been so glued to each episode in any series. Alice is the best TV character ever created, and the criminal they are after at the end of season 2 is so loving hardcore. The poo poo they get away with on British TV blows my mind.

I hate coming off a good/long series and having to spend days finding the next one I can fall in love with.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I love Archer but I've watched every episode up on Netflix. Twice. Is there another show exactly like Archer that I could watch?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

I love Archer but I've watched every episode up on Netflix. Twice. Is there another show exactly like Archer that I could watch?

The only thing I find remotely comparable is The Venture Bros., but I don't think Netflix streams it. The DVDs would be worth waiting for, though.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

jojoinnit posted:

I'll throw out a huge recommendation for their previous show Frisky Dingo. It's not on Netflix instant streaming, but the dvds are worth checking out. The show itself is a bit more random and outlandish, but I actually prefer it to Archer. The shows were only 10-12 minutes long, so you can probably finish the entirety of the show in 2-3 hours.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Try Home Movies, you should find a familiar voice there.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jolo posted:

I'll throw out a huge recommendation for their previous show Frisky Dingo. It's not on Netflix instant streaming, but the dvds are worth checking out. The show itself is a bit more random and outlandish, but I actually prefer it to Archer. The shows were only 10-12 minutes long, so you can probably finish the entirety of the show in 2-3 hours.

Same dude made both Archer and Frisky Dingo. Archer is really Xander Crews in a different role.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Light Gun Man posted:

Try Home Movies, you should find a familiar voice there.

I second the recommendation for Home Movies. I used to watch this show every day at like 3:00 in the morning during college. Got me through some tough not really times. Also, H Jon Benjamin is the funniest, most natural-sounding voice actor.

vvvv Oh, that's very true. They are very very different shows.

Drunk Tomato has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Mar 30, 2012

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Archer and Home Movies are pretty different shows. I'd be pretty disappointed if I was looking for something like Archer and ended up watching Home Movies. I'll go ahead and second Venture Brothers. It's not exactly the same, but it certainly feels the same at times. It may not have H Jon Benjamin but it does have Patrick Warburton.

vvv Oh yeah, I forgot about that. He should show up more often.

Jibo has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Mar 30, 2012

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Jibo posted:

It may not have H Jon Benjamin

He's on a few times as Orpheus' demon oracle who takes forms.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

a kitten posted:

They recently added Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

Just watched this last night. Holy gently caress that was a great movie. Don't let the title turn you off, this film is amazing. Might be Whitaker's best role, though I haven't seen Last King of Scotland yet.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I love the gently caress out of Archer and hate Home Movies and am lukewarm on Frisky Dingo. Frisky Dingo has its moments, but it feels like it was just a warm-up for Archer because Archer is much more consistent in its humor. I think Venture Bros is a solid recommendation, even though it's way more pulpy and less witty than Archer.

If you're willing to read, there is a book that's a spy guide written in character by Archer.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Way back someone recommended Better Off Ted, I finally watched the first several episodes and I'm hooked. I haven't laughed so hard in awhile.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

wormil posted:

Way back someone recommended Better Off Ted, I finally watched the first several episodes and I'm hooked. I haven't laughed so hard in awhile.

It's like if Aperture Science was made in to a tv show.

I Kiss Dementors
Dec 11, 2007
I recommend Baccano! ~ I hate most anime too but I honestly enjoyed this one. The brutal gore is so over the top that it's almost like a Quentin Tarantino movie, some sort of 1930s Pulp Fiction anime.

*edit* Well... it looks like my recommendation is no longer on intant netflix T^T ... so ignore this post

*edit again* Okay.. it's definitely STILL on instant Netflix but for some reason it won't show up in my search, I can only find it via the list of recommendations? I don't really know what's going on.

I Kiss Dementors has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Mar 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

I Kiss Dementors posted:

I recommend Baccano! ~ I hate most anime too but I honestly enjoyed this one. The brutal gore is so over the top that it's almost like a Quentin Tarantino movie, some sort of 1930s Pulp Fiction anime.

*edit* Well... it looks like my recommendation is no longer on intant netflix T^T ... so ignore this post

*edit again* Okay.. it's definitely STILL on instant Netflix but for some reason it won't show up in my search, I can only find it via the list of recommendations? I don't really know what's going on.
Shows up fine when I search for it. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Locked thread