Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jago posted:

You don't have to be a genius to talk plainly in a one time pad. The receiver of the message just has to know it's a pad.

Can you explain how? Annie's dad had already agreed on the key to use, so you can't manipulate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
My reading of Anthony's actions is that his actions are guided by the avoidance of pain. He's not so interested in secrecy so much as he knows that to send a public message, unencoded, would risk a confrontation with Eglamore or Rey or with Annie herself. Since that hospital scene Anthony has been avoiding this confrontation, and he's not gonna stop now unless he's completely cornered with no place to run away.

In short, he's a reprehensible coward who is concerned only with his own feelings.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Seeing Donald geek out is rather amusing, since he hasn't been as animated as we've seen him before.

Good contract to that "o poo poo" realization he's sporting in the last panel.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

Kismet posted:

Okay, so Anthony is a bad father etc. etc.

What I'm really interested in is just what kind of situation he's in that requires him to keep such distant, clipped, encrypted communication with the court. Why can't he speak freely? Why can't he spare a moment to talk to his daughter before he sends his message? Does this relate to the fuzzy signal on the phone? The way it was routed through an operator? Does it hint at some reason that Anthony couldn't get in contact before?

Yeah, I am suspecting this as well. It just seems that "Anthony is a jerk" is too simple of an explanation for this comic. I am going to randomly guess that Tony is trying to fool some third party on his end of the phone, rather than anybody at the court.

This may not necesarily justify his lack of contact, though. He has just proved that nothing stops him from phoning Antimony to talk about random stuff. Most likely he has been using this third party as an excuse to himself to avoid an awkward confrontation with Antimony and Surma's old flames.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Bobulus posted:

Can you explain how? Annie's dad had already agreed on the key to use, so you can't manipulate that.

He could predict what the first part of his message would be, and arrange the key after that. For example, if he was pretty sure his message would start with "I require...", he could engineer Annie's name in there.

Considering that he asked for Annie, and that he included such a feature in his code, I'd say he wanted her to hear him speak her name. Though it still makes him somewhat an rear end in a top hat for not spending a few seconds talking to her directly.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Could just be he used the first letter of each word to spell out a short message (MICROSAT FIVE would only require 12 words, including the greeting) which would fit into the whole "getting a secure channel" theory.

Wouldn't necessarily need to be the first letter of each word, which would make the Annie/Antimony thing relevant.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Roflex posted:

Could just be he used the first letter of each word to spell out a short message (MICROSAT FIVE would only require 12 words, including the greeting) which would fit into the whole "getting a secure channel" theory.

Wouldn't necessarily need to be the first letter of each word, which would make the Annie/Antimony thing relevant.

Unfortunately, that's not how One-Time pads work (To the best of my knowledge). They're a LOT more complicated, which makes it all the more interesting that he used Annie's name as a part of the code.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
One-time pads aren't complicated at all. The question here is just which features of the ciphertext matter - you could easily use a very short one-time pad to encrypt "MICROSATFIVE" yielding some other sequence of 12 letters, beginning with A, and then transmit this sequence by means of saying 12 words, beginning with "Antimony".

Yeah, that's a good point - clearly the rest of the word does matter.
vvvv

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 12, 2012

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

One-time pads aren't complicated at all. The question here is just which features of the ciphertext matter - you could easily use a very short one-time pad to encrypt "MICROSATFIVE" yielding some other sequence of 12 letters, beginning with A, and then transmit this sequence by means of saying 12 words, beginning with "Antimony".

The problem with this explanation is that Donald asks whether it was "Antimony" or "Annie", so clearly it's not just the first letter that matters.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also, Annie said the message didn't make sense, so it's probably not an actual intelligible sentence.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Also, Annie said the message didn't make sense, so it's probably not an actual intelligible sentence.

I am pretty sure the message was just the text we saw in the second panel in yesterdays comic.

Edit: On second thought, that might just be Annie's inner monologue. Those text boxes appear just as Donald is reading the message, so I thought it was the text he was reading.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 12, 2012

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I'm not sure what you're referring to. I don't think we've seen any discernible text from Anthony's message, other than knowing it started with "Antimony"...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SimonChris posted:

I am pretty sure the message was just the text we saw in the second panel in yesterdays comic.

You... sure that isn't Annie's inner monologue about Kat's dad?

e: nvm, fixed

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
So the phone was passed to Annie from Jones, on the basis that she had an incoming call. I find it peculiar that, if Anthony really had nothing to say to his daughter, why he would request for the phone to be passed to her.

Possible reasons:

- The call center was mistaken in thinking he was looking for Antimony, when in fact it was just part of the message.
- He is avoiding giving his plans away to anyone from the court. Obviously backed up by the fact that he's speaking in code (could also be he's in an area where he can't risk being overheard... the woods?), but interesting that he didn't or couldn't give the coded message to Donny directly.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I love Donald's face when he realizes how awkward things just got.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Poor Annie, reduced to nothing but a transmission vector.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Given it's a microsat, which are often student projects, there's a good chance it's a satellite that he and Donald launched in their school days. So we may be going into a brief flashback as well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Zenzirouj posted:

Where can I get me some glasses that will do that

Spiderman's mask-maker evidently lives somewhere in the Black Country, and works at SpecSavers.

See, this stuff is what I really like about Tom's artwork - on first reading, I TOTALLY didn't notice that Donald's specs were being eyebrows - I just read the emotions in the scene. It's kinda subtle, and cool, and it works really well.

But poor Annie :ohdear:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Dammit Tom, the Faerie chapter was hilarious, so I knew this one was gonna be brutal, but not this brutal. Gimme some pathos, man.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I think it just would have been pretty suspicious if Anthony had called anybody except for Annie and that's it. He was probably just thinking that if he called after three years of nothing just to shoot the poo poo with his old pal it might get more people on his case, so he might as well do what all those stupid messages on his voicemail keep saying and call his daughter or whatever SHEESH OKAY FINE I DID IT

Although it does introduce some questions about how he knows Annie would be around Donald and talking about it. Did everybody in the Court get notified about this call for some reason? Why would he assume she would go to Anja/Donald/Eglamore? Does he know she's besties with Kat and that there would be a connection that way? He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to leave the arrival of his message up to chance.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Just read all of the comic. The first 7 or so chapters are quite slow but the story really picks up after that.

I think Annie's father is trying to avoid having his message deciphered by higher ups at the Court, that's why he uses his daughter to relay a message he knew would most likely be decoded by his old friend.

I'm getting a feeling that Mr. Carver is some sort of third party, not being aligned with the Court nor the woods.

By the way, Coyote is the best.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I shouldn't have read this first thing this morning. I started thinking about today's page and got a lump in my throat during class. Poor Annie.

It's getting harder and harder to defend this guy, but I'll still stick with the outlook that there's something more to this. Otherwise, it would be far too simplistic and sad.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Let's not judge too harshly until we see how this plays out. Maybe he feels like he needs to use this Microsat to talk to Annie without the court listening in.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I think there's definitely something more to it, and also that Anthony is a dick. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I'm sure he believes he has a good reason for the things he does, but that doesn't necessarily excuse them.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
Yeah, it's pretty safe to say he's a dick at this point. But if he immediately calls Annie to apologize and explain things as soon as he's linked up to Microsat 5, then maybe he's just mostly a dick and not a complete dick.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

I keep reading Microsat 5 as Monistat 7.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
A N T I M O N Y
(weird 1 time pad stuff here)
M I C R O S A T

Dear lord, it all makes sense now. Annie's real name is Microsat!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Really, unless we are NOT shown what Anthony wants the Microsat 5 for I think we can reserve judgement. I think it's hard to judge a character when we know there will be a lot revealed about soon; seeing what he wants to do with the Microsat will tell us more about his current activities (and might shed light on his motives and behaviour!) than anything has(n't) so far.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

SimonChris posted:

The problem with this explanation is that Donald asks whether it was "Antimony" or "Annie", so clearly it's not just the first letter that matters.

It's not impossible that the last letter of each word is the important one. Groups of four or five letters or numbers are not uncommon for written/spoken ciphertext, but using a system of words, where each word trivially maps to a character of ciphertext (first, last, third?) could be useful if you want a way to obscure short messages or transform them into memorable nonsense-sentences or maybe just slightly weird sounding sentences.

Possibly to try to disguise the fact that the message is transport for ciphertext.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think anything at this point can rescue my view of Anthony, unless it's something incredibly contrived that somehow explains all his actions to date. And I respect Tom too much to think he'll let Carver pull a karma Houdini like that.

Even some kind of dramatic apology/profession of parental love at this point is going to feel self serving and fake.

EDIT: VVV

We know plenty about Anthony - we know that he's abandoned his child for several years, and that he doesn't bother to say a word to his daughter when she's right there.

That's like arguing that maybe Diego had his reasons, because of ~circumstances~. In short, it's relying on something to come completely out of nowhere that just happens to make him look as much like a poo poo as possible and simultaneously retroactively make several other characters we know quite well into spiteful little liars.

Weighed against the array of evidence against Anthony, the only thing he has in his favour is his biological connection to Antimony.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 13, 2012

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I think the main issue is that we still don't know anything about Anthony. Until we learn what the message is, and the circumstances that caused him to send it, I don't think it's possible to judge his actions.

Edit: I'm not saying that he's good or bad at this point-what I'm saying is we just don't know.

a boxing teahorse
May 17, 2010
I don't want to derail this thread, but I know Tom reads it and it's recently come to my attention that this Adroid app has been using several comics RSS feeds for a payed app with no legal authorization. Gunnerkrigg is on the list. The article was posted yesterday and you may already be aware of the app, but I figured it couldn't hurt to post it here in case you weren't.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I posted that in the Webcomics thread after I saw that. I saw on Tom's tumblr that he sent the guy an email to get Gunnerkrigg removed, but honestly that app should be wiped from the market.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Ho boy, here we go.
Don used to be kind of pimply, huh? Also seems like he might've been interested in Brinnie himself.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=538 This was the first time we saw Brinnie, right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I sense impending heartbreak. Of the audience and others :(.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Pardot posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=538 This was the first time we saw Brinnie, right?

That and the next comic I believe are the only times we've seen her on page or even mentioned off hand. Maybe we'll get to learn where she went though there's a foreboding :ohdear: about this that I feel.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pardot posted:

Technically, Here is the first time we see Brinnie, but we didn't have any context as to who she was at the time. That is the first time we saw here in the flesh though, yes. I do wonder what this story will have to do with Microsat 5 and Anthony's message?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hey, Tea-San, someone has probably already emailed you about this, but just in case...there's another one of those terrible smartphone apps that scrapes comic pages and displays the comics (minus creator ads, plus app-maker's ads), and Gunnerkrigg Court was on the list, as of the 12th.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.klaymore.dailycomix
(There's also a pay-app version of it in the sidebar)

The app developer's email is here: klaymore142@gmail.com and he claims he'll remove comics if the creator asks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Thanks for letting me know. It was brought to my attention yesterday so I mailed the guy and he replied pretty quick saying that he took my comic off the app. He was fine about it and all.

I'm getting a ton of mail about it today though, since it was mentioned on Questionable Content! If only there was some way the guy who wrote that original Tumblr post could update the list of comics somehow.

It's pretty neat having readers and people keeping an eye out for this sort of thing though.