Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

I could probably get this running myself in a few hours time and triple the price, but mainly I just want it out of my yard.

Ah, this classic again. "It totally is only like a few hours away from running and I could do it in an afternoon and make an extra 500 dollars or more but maaaaan my time just isn't WORTH that little to me. My loss is your gain!"

It's NEVER just "one little thing". If it was, he would have done it himself.

Also: "driven" instead of "ridden", bought a new bike but apparently didn't even touch his old one once in the last 2 years, etc.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Someone buy that, because right now, some dude with an ironic beard, and wearing some old-rear end beer tshirt is thinking of how many views he's going to get on vimeo for the emotional DSLR video he's going to shoot about the long, tear-filled road to making that bike into a hardtail.

Then he's going to start planning the photoshoot with airsoft AK-47's and every flat, featureless chick he knows.

SOMEONE SAVE US ALL.

I worry sometimes that I am a walking cliché because I'm a young guy with a beard (non-ironic) restoring a vintage Honda and I have an expensive video-capable DSLR and a bunch of old weird film cameras and I like craft beers and I commute mostly by bicycle and so on. But at least I'm not chopping my bike into a lovely café racer, I'd never do anything like what you've described :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I worry sometimes that I am a walking cliché because I'm a young guy with a beard (non-ironic) restoring a vintage Honda and I have an expensive video-capable DSLR and a bunch of old weird film cameras and I like craft beers and I commute mostly by bicycle and so on. But at least I'm not chopping my bike into a lovely café racer, I'd never do anything like what you've described :unsmith:

You are walking a fine line. Do you own a Bell Custom 500 helmet?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do not; I have a full-face HJC. I like my lower jaw. And I don't have any piercings or ironic tattoos! And the only Apple product I own is a 6-year-old iPod! Don't make me one of them!

I have heard, though, that being concerned that you're a hipster and/or disliking hipster culture and/or saying that you're better than hipsters for * reason is just proof that you are in fact a mega-hipster. It's like The Game; the only way you can be safe from being a hipster is to be totally unaware of what a hipster is.

I love your avatar, btw

/

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 8, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

I do not; I have a full-face HJC. I like my lower jaw. And I don't have any piercings or ironic tattoos! And the only Apple product I own is a 6-year-old iPod! Don't make me one of them!

I have heard, though, that being concerned that you're a hipster and/or disliking hipster culture and/or saying that you're better than hipsters for * reason is just proof that you are in fact a mega-hipster. It's like The Game; the only way you can be safe from being a hipster is to be totally unaware of what a hipster is.

I love your avatar, btw

/

I've often been told that I hate hipsters so much because I secretly am one. It's like a closeted homosexual acting homophobic.

How many flannel shirts and beanies do you own?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I have tailored my look to be more goon than hipster. I rock a nice neck-beard, I wear mostly old Nintendo shirts from the '80s and I tell people I have asperger's...

If someone ever confuses me for a hipster I will goon them to death with a 5'x5' framed picture of goatsee...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Pope Mobile posted:

It looks pretty beatup. Better hurry before a hipster grabs it.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/2891418104.html

drat you Seattle. Why do you have to be so far?

I really hope that's a lockheart oil cooler I see on there. Those are AWESOME.

Sagebrush posted:

We... we're not so different, you and I.

beard...check
DSLR...check
old film cameras...check (+darkroom equipment)
craft beers...check (just bought victory hop wallop, dale's pale ale, and bell's two hearted)
I however, do plan on taking a hopeless wreck of a CB I bought and reviving it into a cafe-bike. Mine will however, HAUL rear end.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 9, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you insist on making a café racer, please at least make sure that:
1) it is good enough to be featured on BikeEXIF, and
2) you start with a basket case

I hate hate hate hate hate it when I see someone who got their hands on a well-kept old bike with a little rust and dust, and they immediately spraypaint everything matte black, replace the airbox with pod filters and put on a lovely eBay cafe seat and clubmans. All these bikes that just want to be ridden like they were back in the day and now they're being turned into monstrosities :smith:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

I hate hate hate hate hate it when I see someone who got their hands on a well-kept old bike with a little rust and dust, and they immediately spraypaint everything matte black, replace the airbox with pod filters and put on a lovely eBay cafe seat and clubmans. All these bikes that just want to be ridden like they were back in the day and now they're being turned into monstrosities :smith:

I am kind of running into this with my little Honda. It's a good runner and I really hate to tear it up. I'm seriously considering fixing it selling it and picking up some kind of touring bike for my wife and I. I'm looking towards a vstrom or a concours. I like the idea of the Vstrom because we want to do some things that would put us doing light off-roading and I think it would do better.

Anyone got experience riding 2 up on a Vstrom for a couple hundred miles at a time?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That looks pretty decent! But what the heck is happening on the side there?

quote:

Looking for a good deal!
Well-Maintained with techno-synthetic 10w-40 and fueled with 91-octane gas.
Parts changed since being purchased in 2009 (6th owner) are

- rear spoket
- brand new o-ring chain (always well lubricated with Castrol lube)
- brand new rear tire from Forest City Honda in Nov 2010
- brand new battery from Cad tire in April 2010 (just serviced two daysago
- brand new spark plugs April 2011

All electrical in great working order

The main issues with this bike are the tachometer needs replacing (approx $150 with labor) and the scarcity of the right-hand side cover which I fashioned an alternative using heat-resistant electrical tape

offer welcome! cash/trade

Anthony

Well, that explains it

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I really don't mind people rebuilding the old bikes into cafe racers, or hardtails, or scramblers or bobbers or whatever the gently caress

What I mind is when they cut them up and trash them to do so and then never ride them again

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Snowdens Secret posted:

I really don't mind people rebuilding the old bikes into cafe racers, or hardtails, or scramblers or bobbers or whatever the gently caress

What I mind is when they cut them up and trash them to do so and then never ride them again

I just picked one of those up.
The result of high hopes a few PBRs and 2 years of lathargy? A trip to the scrap yard and a parts motor.

Sagebrush posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Let's invest in motorcyclesCAFE CHAT!

I don't know about the bike EXIF part but I pretty much agree with everything else.

Except in the case where you start replacing pieces one at a time while still riding it.
"Oh, I need new points? meh I'll just buy a Dyna2000"
"Exhaust has a hole? Yoshi replica pipes"
"hosed up seat? ...might as well make myself a new one"
"poo poo... blown motor? big bore kit, head work, hot cam, better ratio rocker arms etc..."

There's certainly a fine line here somewhere. I'm just not sure where it lies.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 9, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Replacing pieces over time to keep it on the road and make it a frankenbike is fine -- indeed, sometimes better than doing a straight-up custom build. Then the bike has some real history and character behind it, and you can tell the story behind every piece.

"Oh, yeah, that mismatched side cover is cause the chain blew out in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska and cracked it but amazingly a guy ten miles up the road had an '80 falling apart in his barn and he just let me have the pieces."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

this ad has been up forever and a day.

this one however...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Those both look like nice old XSes. Always look out for the points ignition on these, it's way preferable. Late '70s Yamaha electronics :rant:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Herndon't

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

...several years now :smith:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^ That's the stuff I cant find locally. I would be all over that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bucephalus posted:

^ That's the stuff I cant find locally. I would be all over that.

I feel like $500 is a bit optimistic for that poor thing

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I feel like $500 is a bit optimistic for that poor thing

I'd offer him $100 and walk above $200. I'd just be parting it out though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I'd offer him $100 and walk above $200. I'd just be parting it out though.

Yeah it's not worth the drive for me. Plus I don't have the space to be parting out another bike yet.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Wimps

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
GnarlyCharlie, where in the DC area are you? I'm living in Columbia Heights, just got a Real Job™, and am starting to consider snagging a cheap daily rider, and you obviously keep on top of the DC area bike situation. I'd love to hear pros and cons of owning a bike in the city.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
TapTheForwardAssist lives within DC, he can probably help.

When I lived in the area the big big big advantage was that you can park a bike pretty much anywhere - car parking was an endless hassle. DC doesn't really have the cons of constant bike vandalism and theft that NYC seems to.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

TapTheForwardAssist lives within DC, he can probably help.

I would be very careful here. You might as well end up with a lovely Arabian folding knife as a motorcycle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I live in Arlington. Pros: It's easy to get around and park a motorcycle. You don't really need a vehicle, in general, so having something for pleasure is pretty cool.
Cons: It's at least an hour of lovely highway to get to anything interesting.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

benwards posted:

GnarlyCharlie, where in the DC area are you? I'm living in Columbia Heights, just got a Real Job™, and am starting to consider snagging a cheap daily rider, and you obviously keep on top of the DC area bike situation. I'd love to hear pros and cons of owning a bike in the city.

I don't ride bikes in DC. Cabbies are loving DANGEROUS. Seriously, I think they're just put here for "population size control."

That being said, the advantages are obvious:
Filtering (when you don't get shot at or have doors opened on you)
MPG (gas up here is loving $$$)
HOV (provided you have to take the highway to commute)
Parking is no longer a battle. Although your bike will get knocked over.

What's wrong in picture #4?

TWO spark plugs? :stare:

Also, it's not old enough for "Historc" tags, whatever the gently caress that means.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
In Kentucky you can get them for vehicles 25 years old or more and the insurance is stupid cheap. The catch is, you can't use it for general transportation, only shows, parades, fairs and the like.

Of course, I don't know how they'd verify this, except for maybe seeing excess miles added when you renew your registration or insurance. It kind of sounds like perfect insurance for around 90% of the riders here.

"Hey Baby! Me and the guys are gonna take our bikes on a parade down to the bar!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've read a story on another motorcycling forum about a guy who got historic plates on his older bike and was pulled over on his way home for a minor moving violation. The cop took offense to the rider for some reason, told him that "you are clearly not going to a parade or show at 1:00 in the morning", confiscated his plates, impounded his bike and hit him with a big fine. There was also some fiasco with his insurance company after the whole thing.

I considered getting historic plates but I'd rather not risk that whole issue. Maybe your state is different? I kind of miss AZ because they don't have any of the usage requirements there, just the 25 years old or more.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I don't ride bikes in DC. Cabbies are loving DANGEROUS. Seriously, I think they're just put here for "population size control."

That being said, the advantages are obvious:
Filtering (when you don't get shot at or have doors opened on you)
MPG (gas up here is loving $$$)
HOV (provided you have to take the highway to commute)
Parking is no longer a battle. Although your bike will get knocked over.

It would be a purely "for fun" bike, since I can commute by bicycle or bus (or even walking, when it's nice out), so I guess a lot of those advantages don't really apply.

Endless Mike posted:

Cons: It's at least an hour of lovely highway to get to anything interesting.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. :sigh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Total long shot, but I know a guy in Ohio selling a brand new 2012 Concours ABS with 20 miles (as in two-zero). Red with extended warranty until 2018. He'll let it go for $11,900.

Why am I advertising some dude here? Because I need someone to stop me buying it and importing it to Canada to flip.

Someone stop me.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll give you his contact info.

Looks like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Ironically I consider Arlington "something to do" so I usually make the 40 minute trek up that way to do "anything interesting".

This is also true of pretty much all of nova. You're pretty much an hour from whatever it is you want to do, no matter where you are.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

slidebite posted:

Total long shot, but I know a guy in Ohio selling a brand new 2012 Concours ABS with 20 miles (as in two-zero). Red with extended warranty until 2018. He'll let it go for $11,900.

Why am I advertising some dude here? Because I need someone to stop me buying it and importing it to Canada to flip.

Someone stop me.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll give you his contact info.

Looks like this:

I see no reason to stop you. I'd ride it. drat it, I have no room for any more rhinos huge bikes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ironically I consider Arlington "something to do" so I usually make the 40 minute trek up that way to do "anything interesting".

This is also true of pretty much all of nova. You're pretty much an hour from whatever it is you want to do, no matter where you are.
By "anything interesting" I meant in terms of riding. In terms of stuff to do, DC is just a quick Metro or cab ride away.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If you actually live in DC there's little reason to go to Arlington, and DC itself is so small you can walk or bike ride across town easy. A motorcycle is great for convenience if you want to go down to the canal or something, though.

Actually there's some pretty nice areas within the Beltline on the NW side of DC to ride. Clara Barton / Cabin John on the Maryland side and the GW Memorial Parkway on VA, that sort of stuff; I never ended up there on purpose but got lost heading back to VA from DC more than once. A lot of the good roads are clogged with mom-tank SUVs, though. Most of NoVa is a hell of strip malls, apartment complexes and chain restaurants all laid out in a pattern that repeats every 10 miles or so. I lived out in Manassas and it didn't take much heading west or south to be out in the sticks, but most of the roads were drearily straight and the ones that weren't had a nasty habit of turning to gravel mid-turn.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Snowdens Secret posted:

I lived out in Manassas and it didn't take much heading west or south to be out in the sticks, but most of the roads were drearily straight and the ones that weren't had a nasty habit of turning to gravel mid-turn.
I work in manassas and there are a few good roads out here if you know where to go. The only problem is that there's also a lot of deer and other animals that like to run out in front of you.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

slidebite posted:

Just when I was starting to feel okay about going back to school... I see something like this and come to the realization I'd much rather my crippling debt be due to motorcycles than student loans.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Thelonious posted:

Just when I was starting to feel okay about going back to school... I see something like this and come to the realization I'd much rather my crippling debt be due to motorcycles than student loans.

If you have to choose a crippling debt source I think motorcycles are pretty close to #1. It may be behind crippling debt due to safe sex practices with supermodels, but not by much...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thelonious posted:

Do it.

Let me know I'll give you his contact info. It's a sweet deal. I like the color too.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

gently caress. I really wish I could take advantage of such a smokin deal. Between school and the prospect of opening a new business, it'll be a long time before I'll be shopping for a new bike. :smithicide:

There's been some talk about possibly riding the Dempster this year. It'll be a goddamn miracle if I can scrape up the cash for that alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I'm almost tempted. Except the guy is in West VA and obviously can't count.
7 half full crates is not 8-9 crates.

And there's nothing but bare (probably busted) carb bodies in there anyway.

And yet my disease is STILL telling me to "just go drive 2 hours and check it out".