Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

G-Prime posted:

You can install ultrasn0w from Cydia easily. However, be aware, it breaks visual voicemail and MMS. The display of one bar is a graphical glitch, not an actual signal problem. If you can handle not being freaked out by seeing it that way, there's absolutely no reason to install ultrasn0w.

Im not really bothered about the bars, moreso just having an indicator to tell me when I have no signal at all would be useful, but I guess that would become apparent when I try to make a call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
iMovie and Pages load fine on 5.0.1. iPhoto crashes.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Xenomorph posted:

iOS 5.1 now jailbroken with reds0w.

Old Bootrom 3GS: Untethered
New Bootrom 3GS & iPhone 4: Tethered
A5 devices and newer: Not yet (of course)

That was quick. But how do they keep breaking [presumably] the sandbox for iBooks?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Is there a way to update my contact pics in bitesms? I don't see an option to update them. Just turn them off or on.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Alfalfa posted:

Is there a way to update my contact pics in bitesms? I don't see an option to update them. Just turn them off or on.

Doesn't it just use the contact pics that you have set in Contacts.app?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Zenostein posted:

That was quick. But how do they keep breaking [presumably] the sandbox for iBooks?

It's not the jailbreak that breaks it directly. iBooks has been boobytrapped.

iBooks is an Apple experiment. Think of "iBooks" being a bundle of two applications:

1) Check_for_Jailbreak.exe
2) iBooks_Reader.exe

When you run iBooks, the first thing it does is run the first part, which tries to execute some unsigned code.

On a normal device, this fails (nothing happens), and iBooks simply continues to load.

On a jailbroken device, the unsigned code runs, outputs the "OH_SHIT_WE_ARE_COMPROMISED" command to the iBooks_Reader, and the whole thing collapses on itself like a tiny dying star. The end result is usually a pop up notification saying "There is a problem with your device. Please restore with iTunes."

The "fix" that comes out later from the jailbreak community is usually some sort of breaking of how iBooks loads. It either doesn't run the unsigned code, or something feeds iBooks an "LOL_NO_JAILBREAK_HERE" message, so iBooks loads fine.
The end-result of feeding iBooks bogus data (or blocking part of it from running) will usually break DRM. It works enough for a book to load, but there are usually all kinds of memory and decoding errors, which mostly results in broken images, but can also result in corrupted text and missing pages.
Apparently most people that use iBooks don't have a bunch of purchased Apple DRM content, so most people never notice DRM is broke. People don't complain, so the jailbreak devs haven't spent a ton of time on it.

On the jailbreak compatibility matrix, I've tried to make note of which versions of iOS has working iBooks.

iOS 4.1: iBooks sometimes loads, but sometimes gives errors. If it does load, I think DRM works. I don't know if any attempt was made to get it working correctly, as 4.1 is pretty dated and compatibility with apps shrinks daily.
iOS 4.2.1: This is where the "hunnypot" fix was first made (because so many people had the free Winnie the Pooh book to test DRM with). The iPhone 3G will forever have a working iBooks.
iOS 4.3.3: iBooks loads, but DRM is hosed. i0n1c said the kernel patches prevent the DRM from ever being fixed on this.
iOS 5.0.1: Just like 4.2.1, another fix was successfully developed to patch iBooks and its DRM. The jailbreak method (the VPN driver) allows for safe patching without messing with whatever DRM iBooks uses.
iOS 5.1: Broke again. Stay tuned for a fix to get iBooks to load. No idea yet if DRM will be patched, though.

Each version of iOS will need a different patch to fix iBooks. Not because of iBooks itself, but because of the method used to jailbreak each version of iOS!

Alfalfa posted:

BiteSMS just goes by whatever pictures you have set in your Contacts.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Ezrem posted:

Doesn't it just use the contact pics that you have set in Contacts.app?

I don't think so, because when I installed it, it pulled some super old images that my contacts hadn't used in forever.

Or if that is the case, how can I update my contacts.app images off Facebook? I can't find that setting anymore either.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Alfalfa posted:

I don't think so, because when I installed it, it pulled some super old images that my contacts hadn't used in forever.

Or if that is the case, how can I update my contacts.app images off Facebook? I can't find that setting anymore either.

There's an app called SmartSync. I think it's free in the app store right now, it sync's your contacts facebook pics really well.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Or you can just hit the button in the top right of your friends list and hit Sync in the Facebook app.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

frumpsnake posted:

Or you can just hit the button in the top right of your friends list and hit Sync in the Facebook app.

That's what I was looking for. Appreciate it.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
I'm selling my ipad 2 since I ordered the new one. I just wiped it and restored it to 5.0.1 before apple closes the signing window. Can jailbreak without doing the ios5 configuration first?

Over The Road
Jan 6, 2006
Le singe est sur la branche

Xenomorph posted:

Also, has anyone changed their version number to run the new "iOS 5.1+ only" apps?

Info here:
http://justindaigle.com/blog/?p=215

I changed /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist to read 5.1 instead of 5.0.1, and the App Store allowed me to download all the updates.

Multi-edit: The new "5.1 only" Pages just loaded fine on 5.0.1., even after putting my build back at 5.0.1.

Omega-edit: Just bought the 5.1+ iPhoto on my 4S running 5.0.1 untethered. I haven't ran it or iMovie yet to see if it really *requires* some function of 5.1 (they are still downloading).

The free version of iFile makes it very easy to change the System Version plist.

I'm downloading the updated iWork apps now.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Over The Road posted:

The free version of iFile makes it very easy to change the System Version plist.

I'm downloading the updated iWork apps now.

From what I've read, the iwork suite works fine, imovie works fine, but iphoto crashes immediately/constantly-- enough to suggest that it makes use of something in 5.1.

e:v Don't know- I'm not at home to try it myself right now, I might try it later, but since iPhoto wont work, I probably wont :(. I'll let you know if I see anybody post about it though.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 8, 2012

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
What about Garageband? That's pretty much the only reason I would try this trick.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
The updated Garageband works fine for me on 5.0.1

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've been out of the jailbreaking scene for awhile. I'm thinking about jailbreaking my 5.01 4S so I can pull some app data and text messages off in preparation for a full restore without backup. Is there something I need to do to make sure I can install 5.01 back onto it, restore my text messages/app data, and then update to 5.1?

I haven't really missed being jailbroken except for quick-reply to text messages, and that's not really worth me spending the time on it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
You cannot install iOS 5.0.1 on an iPad 2 or iPhone 4S.

So if you mess something up, you can only restore to the current iOS.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So nothing like SHSH blobs exist anymore? Hm, I might look into other ways of backing up texts then.

Thanks for the info.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

The updated Garageband works fine for me on 5.0.1

:love: Thanks man, I'm using it now and holy poo poo I love smart strings. Strings are my favorite sounds.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

EC posted:

So nothing like SHSH blobs exist anymore? Hm, I might look into other ways of backing up texts then.

Thanks for the info.

SHSH blobs still exist. Their use with iOS 5 has been made trickier by Apple, so they currently cannot be used with A5 and newer devices.

Pre-A5 devices can still use backed up SHSH blobs just like before.
(Saying it works with "A4" devices, like so many web sites are doing, is misleading, as the 3GS and iPod touch 3rd-generation aren't A4 devices.)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there a way to back up text messages on one device/OS that can be jailbroken an restore them onto a device/OS that can't?

I've been restoring from backups since the 3GS came out, so it's probably time to start from scratch. The only thing I can't live without are the texts, everything else is either unimportant or backed up elsewhere.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

Is there a way to back up text messages on one device/OS that can be jailbroken an restore them onto a device/OS that can't?

I've been restoring from backups since the 3GS came out, so it's probably time to start from scratch. The only thing I can't live without are the texts, everything else is either unimportant or backed up elsewhere.

Yes, there is an application on computer to extract the apple backup files that get saved when you backup with iTunes. Im sure google has the info.

You can find your texts in there somehow.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Oh, I used something like that to recover some voice mails for my wife. I'll check it out, thanks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How do I update my plist with iFile on my iPad 2 to make it seem like I am on 5.1?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Feenix posted:

How do I update my plist with iFile on my iPad 2 to make it seem like I am on 5.1?
Goto /system/library/coreservices and edit the systemversion.plist

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I'd like to get an ATV2 for XBMC. Can any off-the-shelf unit be jailbroken, or do I need to dig up one with a certain version of iOS?

Jailbreakmatrix lists conflicting info.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 10, 2012

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Tapedump posted:

I'd like to get an ATV2 for XBMC. Can any off-the-shelf unit be jailbroken, or do I need to dig up one with a certain version of iOS?

Jailbreakmatrix lists conflicting info.

As long as it doesn't have the iOS update that released on Wednesday you should be good to go.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Am I understanding it right that right now there is a tethered iOS 5.1 jailbreak for iPhone 4? I think I'll just wait for the untethered version.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Am I understanding it right that right now there is a tethered iOS 5.1 jailbreak for iPhone 4? I think I'll just wait for the untethered version.

Correct. Snowbreeze or however it's spelled can tethered jailbreak up to the 4 (untether for old-bootroom 3Gs)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

While I haven't received my iPad yet. I was wondering if there are any implementations of AdBlock out there for iOS Safari. Adblock is the one thing I really miss when using other people's iPads and would make me consider going the Jailbreak route.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know of some solution to spoof an app into thinking my iPad is an iPhone/Pod?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Does anyone know the unlock status of 04.11.08 on an iPhone 4? Is there some kind of gevey or other physical sim-hack that can unlock it?

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 on 5.01 and I want to update to 5.1. What's the best way to do so, keeping my jailbreak stuff?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Anmitzcuaca posted:

I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 on 5.01 and I want to update to 5.1. What's the best way to do so, keeping my jailbreak stuff?

Don't quote me on this but I think you can back up via iTunes, revert & update, jailbreak, and restore from said backup.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So every now and then a SpeakEvent ad will show up at the to of the Siri window. It says "one time ad" but it shows up every now and then and it's kinda annoying. Anyone know where's it from and/or how to get rid of it?

Has anyone else even seen it?

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So every now and then a SpeakEvent ad will show up at the to of the Siri window. It says "one time ad" but it shows up every now and then and it's kinda annoying. Anyone know where's it from and/or how to get rid of it?

Has anyone else even seen it?

Was it orange? I had something similar at the top of my screen, but it would only show up when I opened/closed any app. It went away on its own, though. I'm on a i4 if it matters.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Mark Larson posted:

Does anyone know the unlock status of 04.11.08 on an iPhone 4? Is there some kind of gevey or other physical sim-hack that can unlock it?

If you've got some money to spend, you can check out http://www.cutyoursim.com

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

CoasterMaster posted:

If you've got some money to spend, you can check out http://www.cutyoursim.com

How legit is that site?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

akadajet posted:

While I haven't received my iPad yet. I was wondering if there are any implementations of AdBlock out there for iOS Safari. Adblock is the one thing I really miss when using other people's iPads and would make me consider going the Jailbreak route.
Yes, "AdBlocker" is in Cydia. Also alternative browsers like Atomic (maybe icab too) have built in Adblock options if you don't want to jailbreak. Not quite as fast as safari but they have some nice features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Xenomorph posted:

How legit is that site?

I would be wary of any service offering to insert your IMEI into Apple's official database of unlocked iPhones.

It looks like these guys have been doing it for a year, but only just recently added AT&T, which is going to add a lot of attention and is very easily spotted since AT&T don't offer an unlocking service at all.

Similar sites have shut down (and had every phone they entered subsequently removed and relocked.)

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 12, 2012

• Locked thread