Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Agreed. I never will understand why some people are bothered how other people play video games.

On a seperate note, ropekid your JSawyer mod is nice work, but I'm just too terrible a player to stick with most of these changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cicadalek posted:

I can appreciate the theme of Dead Money while also appreciating having enough caps to buy out every single trader in the Mojave. They don't have to be mutually exclusive

Though I admit I've often wondered exactly WHY gold is so valuable in the Mojave; why would people care about the stuff when it has no practical value? You'd think a metal whose primary value is "looks pretty" wouldn't get you as far post-apocalypse. Not that I MINDED being able to grab an anti-material rifle with upgrades afterwards (and gold bars made a nicely appropriate thing to stick in the safe at the Old World Blues base), I'm just wondering what the Gun Runners would get out of a bar or two of gold. At least Elijah was more interested in jacking the technology instead of the gold, which made logical sense.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

MadDogMike posted:

Though I admit I've often wondered exactly WHY gold is so valuable in the Mojave; why would people care about the stuff when it has no practical value? You'd think a metal whose primary value is "looks pretty" wouldn't get you as far post-apocalypse.
Exact same reason it was valuable in the ancient world. Pretty, rare, and enduring.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

MadDogMike posted:

Though I admit I've often wondered exactly WHY gold is so valuable in the Mojave; why would people care about the stuff when it has no practical value? You'd think a metal whose primary value is "looks pretty" wouldn't get you as far post-apocalypse. Not that I MINDED being able to grab an anti-material rifle with upgrades afterwards (and gold bars made a nicely appropriate thing to stick in the safe at the Old World Blues base), I'm just wondering what the Gun Runners would get out of a bar or two of gold. At least Elijah was more interested in jacking the technology instead of the gold, which made logical sense.

The NCR's money is (was) backed by gold and presumably so is the Legions. Besides, gold was perfectly valuable the first time we had a medieval culture, why would it stop being valuable if we got knocked back down to that level?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Plus, whoever is still manufacturing energy weapons probably requires a source of gold.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kharmakazy posted:

I usually spend all the gold pretty quick. I have a strange addiction where I have to buy every piece of ammunition offered to me whether I can use it or not...:negative:

Oh my god I know your pain. Even while abusing the poo poo out of people in Caravan.
I generally try to sell whatever poo poo I find so I can stay at a healthy sum of 100,000 caps. Going below that is dangerous!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
ropekid, is there any chance you can comment on any upcoming Fallout projects? If not, just let us know you can't comment.

I'm hearing buzz about a Fallout MMO finally being given the a green light after all the legal red tape being cut down. I'm afraid if it is released, I'm going to have to quit my job. :(

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Francois Kofko posted:

Oh my god I know your pain. Even while abusing the poo poo out of people in Caravan.
I generally try to sell whatever poo poo I find so I can stay at a healthy sum of 100,000 caps. Going below that is dangerous!

I never figured out how to play caravan... The worst part is that I buy all the ammunition even when I'm playing an unarmed character.

Shmitty
Oct 21, 2008
The Caravan achievements and the GRA achievements are the last few I have left. Caravan didn't make sense the first time I played it, and now I actively refuse to learn to play it in all of my playthroughs.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Shmitty posted:

The Caravan achievements and the GRA achievements are the last few I have left. Caravan didn't make sense the first time I played it, and now I actively refuse to learn to play it in all of my playthroughs.

It's actually pretty fun once you get it. I was like that too, then I saw the light and bought 40,000 caps worth of stuff from Cliff Briscoe and promptly won all my money back.
He's a sap.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Shmitty posted:

It's so easy though... I don't understand why so many people say they refuse to learn it.

You play it in runs (2->10, or 10->2 depending on which direction you choose to play) trying to get to 26. You win by beating your opponent in 2 out of three of the sets.

Jacks remove cards. Kings double card value. Queens change direction of your caravan (so if your caravan is descending, you can switch to ascending).

Here is an easy strategy: make your deck nothing but 8's, 10's, and face cards. Play a 10, an 8, double the 8 with a King, and you are sitting at 26.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just find mini-games like that in general in RPGs to be really boring and almost never play any of them. I think the only one I ever played was dice in The Witcher, since it was required to play and beat a series of players across the length of a game to finish off a questline.

I only ever played one game of Caravan, I really had no inclination to read through the rules when there was a desert full of things to kill outside so I slapped a few cards around here and there, was completely confused about what I was doing and when I was allowed to put cards where, and then it declared I had won.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Only during a few rare periods of history has gold been a consumed good (and typically in small quantities). It's uncommon, somewhat difficult to counterfeit, easy to divide and transport, durable, etc.

NCR's currency is (inflated) fiat currency. Caps are water-backed by merchants in the Hub (which works reasonably well due to the Hub's distance from natural sources of fresh water). Legion denarii and aurei aren't backed by silver and gold; they are silver and gold.

By the way, Vili Lehdonvirta, a Finnish dude from the London School of Economics, gave a great talk at GDC about good currency and bad currency, and how designing "bad" currency can create interesting gameplay effects, especially in a social/multiplayer environment.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

rope kid posted:

Only during a few rare periods of history has gold been a consumed good (and typically in small quantities). It's uncommon, somewhat difficult to counterfeit, easy to divide and transport, durable, etc.

NCR's currency is (inflated) fiat currency. Caps are water-backed by merchants in the Hub (which works reasonably well due to the Hub's distance from natural sources of fresh water). Legion denarii and aurei aren't backed by silver and gold; they are silver and gold.

By the way, Vili Lehdonvirta, a Finnish dude from the London School of Economics, gave a great talk at GDC about good currency and bad currency, and how designing "bad" currency can create interesting gameplay effects, especially in a social/multiplayer environment.

On that topic, it would have been fun if the player's choices could affect the in-game currencies. Let's say you help the sharecropper farm, wipe out the Fiend's, and help Jackson get the Mojave Outpost open. Because of this, the NCR economy picks up in the region, making their currency more valuable. Likewise, if you wipe out Cottonwood, a significant Legion slave market, their currency drops to it's base value. This reflects the loss of their slave trade and confidence in Ceasar's victory in the upcoming battle.

This would give the player the ability to wage economic war on a chosen faction, perhaps affecting quest rewards, reputation, and the equipment worn by that faction.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Canemacar posted:

On that topic, it would have been fun if the player's choices could affect the in-game currencies. Let's say you help the sharecropper farm, wipe out the Fiend's, and help Jackson get the Mojave Outpost open. Because of this, the NCR economy picks up in the region, making their currency more valuable. Likewise, if you wipe out Cottonwood, a significant Legion slave market, their currency drops to it's base value. This reflects the loss of their slave trade and confidence in Ceasar's victory in the upcoming battle.

This would give the player the ability to wage economic war on a chosen faction, perhaps affecting quest rewards, reputation, and the equipment worn by that faction.

The idea of multiple currencies was definitely an interesting idea, if awkwardly executed. In the long run, it really seems to serve no purpose (as it doesn't really affect gameplay). Maybe certain vendors should have accepted only currency x (but this may have been a little annoying in practice). I think maybe more should have been done with it.

While I'm complaining about minor issues, the fast-travel system can be a little annoying too. I'm sure the way it works is due to some weird engine limitations, but it would be nice to fast travel into a location, instead of just outside that location, then have to watch ANOTHER loading screen when you enter that area.

In a game this big, it is easy to find small things like this to take fault with, when really the only major issue with the game is its stability issues.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rope kid posted:

That's really interesting, what Lehdonvirta say exactly?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's really interesting, what Lehdonvirta say exactly?

http://virtualeconomists.com/blogs/...nomics-textbook

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Also, here are the slides from my New Vegas-oriented GDC talk:

http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/03/do-say-right-thing-choice-architecture.html

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Went and powered through the rest of the game, DLCs included, during the weekend.

Old World Blues was funny as hell and brilliantly written, and had the best roaming gameplay amongst the DLCs. Ironically, OWB had the most combat amongst the DLCs since I swear the game was intentionally spawning mobs to attack me every few minutes, and that was made worse by the HP scaling turning enemies into bullet sponges. This was fine in Dead Money since enemies were slow, but nearly all enemies in OWB have either fast ranged weapons or quick movement speed for getting into melee. Nightstalkers with HP in the hundreds are a real bitch to deal with, especially in cramped spaces.

The world design hearkens back to old-school RPGs with a central hub and numerous "dungeons" around it, and each of these dungeons has something to loot or kill, which makes dungeon-diving worthwhile. Old World Blues is probably the best in terms of value for money amongst the DLC, but it's a shame that the combat can be a drag if you're high-level.

Lonesome Road is the other linear-world DLC, and unlike Dead Money gives you enough freedom and space to wander around the Divide and return to the Mojave if needed. I liked the linear design in the DLC: it's not overly restrictive like a corridor shooter and has enough side areas to encourage exploration, but it gives you a sense of direction so you won't get lost and lose track of your progress. I'd say Lonesome Road has the best environments along with Honest Hearts, since these two DLCs put a lot of emphasis into vertical structures and panoramic landscapes which look far more impressive than the Sierra Madre's cramped streets and Big MT's expansive but flat crater.

Ulysses, Lonesome Road's main draw, was not I expected. I have to admit, his cryptic and clipped dialogue annoyed me since it sometimes goes into rambling territory. However, he did function well as your "nemesis", and his backstory provides a good contrast to yours since regardless of what ending path you choose, he'll always have something to say about it. Very interesting character design; shame that sometimes the dialogue tree bugs out in the beginning when the game determines your allegiance and corresponding arguments. I'm assuming I didn't get the Yes Man responses since he acted like I was siding with House, but it was an interesting argument nonetheless since Ulysses himself champions the Old World through other means.

Afterwards, I went for the Battle of Hoover Dam. Could've used the Speech checks against Lanius, but I decided to cave his head in with Old Glory. Good times!

All in all, New Vegas has its rough edges but it's a drat good game. Enough has been said about the main game at this point, but seeing the old Fallout devs show that they still got the magic gives me hope that this kind of RPG is still worth making. Definitely worth far more than the 20$ I spent on it during the Holiday Sale; hopefully I get to make up for it on Obsidian's next Fallout title.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
H'lo! I'm a well-meaning fellow who posts incredibly offensive hyperbolic statements in an attempt to win the Internet's approval, but today it's not working so well. I'll,be back when I've calmed down. Sorry to bother you!

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 12, 2012

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

toasterwarrior posted:

Went and powered through the rest of the game, DLCs included, during the weekend.

Old World Blues was funny as hell and brilliantly written, and had the best roaming gameplay amongst the DLCs. Ironically, OWB had the most combat amongst the DLCs since I swear the game was intentionally spawning mobs to attack me every few minutes, and that was made worse by the HP scaling turning enemies into bullet sponges. This was fine in Dead Money since enemies were slow, but nearly all enemies in OWB have either fast ranged weapons or quick movement speed for getting into melee. Nightstalkers with HP in the hundreds are a real bitch to deal with, especially in cramped spaces.

I know it's not the most useful perk, but Animal Friend 1 and2 are worth taking just for use in OWB. Sit back and watch those same Nightstalkers that annoyed you so much first time round swarming over the lobotomites like a furry/scaly wave of vengeance :hist101:. Even taken at level 1 it cuts out a lot of fighting in the 'extra credit' High School section.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

darkwasthenight posted:

I know it's not the most useful perk, but Animal Friend 1 and2 are worth taking just for use in OWB. Sit back and watch those same Nightstalkers that annoyed you so much first time round swarming over the lobotomites like a furry/scaly wave of vengeance :hist101:. Even taken at level 1 it cuts out a lot of fighting in the 'extra credit' High School section.

Hah, it was precisely the High School that drove me to hate Nightstalkers since VATS hosed up a lot because:

1) The Nightstalker got into melee range too fast and, combined with their small profile, messed up the shot.

2) The shot flew into a table or railing despite a 95% chance to hit and I just stood there while my knees got bitten off.

Should've taken Animal Friend instead of Shotgun Surgeon, it's not like they do more damage than the .45-70s...

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Unarmed combat really came into its own in owb for me. Things spawn right on top of me? They are so hosed. With all the unarmed perks, and unarmed weapons littered across the place for easy repairs even roboscorpions were no challenge to punch right through, so long as you remember to back off before they explode.

I will admit that I used the holorifle on the roboscorps I could see before they saw me. But I punched the giant one to death pretty quickly.

the addition of them's good eatin (sp?) made for plentiful healing on the go. (in subsequent playthroughs I like to give myself that perk at level 1 so I can avoid dealing with stimpaks at all...)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Captain Walker posted:

I can't improve the situation in Darfur no matter how rich and famous I get. I instead aspire to improve the state of the Western video game, and giving all my money to Obsidian seems like a good starting point.

Why would you type this?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Rinkles posted:

Why would you type this?

The real question is why I typed it, looked at it, and decided ir was worthy post material. Coffee before medication = bad post central. I'll delete it but don't edit your post, I should probably let my terrible Internet shame be preserved for posterity.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rope kid posted:

http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/03/do-say-right-thing-choice-architecture.html

This was very interesting, thank you. I particularly like the part about all player choices needing to be validated - if they choose to kill or save or screw over or ignore something, then that needs to be a valid choice that adjusts the game to fit your choices.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 12, 2012

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

I'm loving this. (and I own most of those choose your own adventure books...)

Also, I don't recognize this from anywhere, but it's adorable.

Cousin Todd fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 12, 2012

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kharmakazy posted:

I'm loving this. (and I own most of those choose your own adventure books...)

Also, I don't recognize this from anywhere, but it's adorable.

That's the icon for the ED-Ecated achievement from Lonesome Road. The DLCs have a lot of great achievement icons in general.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rope kid posted:

That's a fantastic read, thanks!

Honestly I think it should be required (or possibly enforced at gunpoint) reading for certain game designers.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

rope kid posted:

These were really good. Thanks.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

So Steam tells me I have sunk 205 hours into New Vegas, and that's AFTER I switched over from my 70+ hour PS3 savegame.

I'm doing a fun everything-and-the-kitchen sink run, determined to see and do almost everything possible. Here are some things I had never seen before:

- North Vegas Square. I mean, I always saw the doors, but some part of me stupidly figured that it just referred to a section of Freeside and wasn't, you know, its own entirely distinct area with several quests.

- The North Vegas sewers. I wandered around in them a little from the Thorn once, and figured I'd seen everything there was to see. Definitely did not realize there were a full four zones.

- Joana's quest in Gomorrah. Yeah, I had literally never walked into that garden area. For some reason I just always assumed the doors were decorative, or not important, and I always had way too many other things to do in Gomorrah. But lo, another entire area I'd never seen before.

- Also, in all that time I thought I'd seen every glitch New Vegas had to offer, especially after playing on the PS3. But here are some new ones that I'd never seen before, and these were all from unobtrusively-modded games:

Sometimes my plasma shots will freeze in mid-air. The first time it happened was relatively mild.

And it persisted from a distance.

The next time it happened was a little more pronounced.

The other glitch happened down in Vault 11 when I was exploring the underwater areas. My character was swimming in the water while Arcade was just walking around normally. I'd float and paddle by him, and he'd just waltz along.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

rope kid posted:

poo poo. I'd really like to hear these slides narrated.

e: Nice Jesus/Hitler picture :stare:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's a fantastic read, thanks!

Honestly I think it should be required (or possibly enforced at gunpoint) reading for certain game designers.

I'd really like to read a transcript, because most of the slides themselves don't provide enough context of the talk.

Also, rope kid is a sexist pig confirmed:

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

rope kid posted:

excellent read. I am curious have you played Vampire: Bloodlines? And if so your opinion from a professional perspective. Occasionally the humanity level affected availability of dialogue, as opposed to a schizophrenic Commander Shepard.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Looks like the next fallout is going to be wasteland 2. Whoda thunk?

Apparently I missed the sticky. Time to spring for that PE implant..

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Rinkles posted:

I'd really like to read a transcript, because most of the slides themselves don't provide enough context of the talk.

Also, rope kid is a sexist pig confirmed:

That bearded guy is everything I've ever wanted in a protagonist in a video game.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

That bearded guy is everything I've ever wanted in a protagonist in a video game.

Dusty from Medal of Honour does indeed have the look right down. You can get a face mask of him for FNV to wear as a mod, but the lips obviously don't animate and you won't find it on Nexus since it's a rip of commercial assets.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Naky posted:

Dusty from Medal of Honour does indeed have the look right down. You can get a face mask of him for FNV to wear as a mod, but the lips obviously don't animate and you won't find it on Nexus since it's a rip of commercial assets.

Oh, didn't know hes an MoH guy. At least I know who that picture is of now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Oh, didn't know hes an MoH guy. At least I know who that picture is of now.

Well, he's an actual SF member. He's not some MoH video game construct, although many elements from the game were based off of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Well, he's not SF any more. At least not for a government.

MoH Wiki: Dusty is based on one of the SOF consultants for the game also known as Dusty. He is an ex-CAG operator and now works for Vance & Brown Inc. He joined the project to impress his 19-year old son.