Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Is there any way I can activate a loyal Kasumi halfway through my Mass Effect 3 game, or does it need to be done on import?

I had to grab a save file from masseffect2saves.com because I switched from Xbox to PC. I've only just found out that this save didnt have Kasumi. I need Kasumi for the Hanar Diplomat mission thing with the Salarian SPECTRE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

CaptainCarrot posted:

Dark energy. Basically, the use of mass effect fields produces it, and it's slowly degrading the galaxy or something like that; Reapers harvest civilizations that have used the mass relays in the hopes of finding some perspective that will be able to figure out how to solve the problem. It's been done, but nowhere near as much as Frankenstein, which is what we got.

Sounds a hell of a lot better than what we got. Too tired to write up my gripes with it right now, but I'll join in on the disappointment later.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
I think that just about any written justification for the reaper's actions at this point would be completely underwhelming compared to just leaving it unknown.

I think one of the primary problems with the reapers is that they're basically immortal highly intelligent beings with millions of years worth of experience and knowledge about the world. Considering how unenlightened we are as a species in real life it would be very difficult for a writer to convey a perspective that wouldn't come across as a massive logical fallacy and copout.

If they wanted to justify the Reapers they should've called in some philosophers or scientists who would probably have a better perspective as to why a group like the Reapers would do what they do. I don't really think you could trust that particular segment of the story to a writer, a wiser thing would be to just leave it as an unknown.

I think a better ending would be Shepard defeating the reapers without knowing what they actually wanted. Thus the civilizations are left to their own devices to find out the truth for themselves.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 12, 2012

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

Given that it's linked into an aggressively-pushed Multiplayer, it's probably some overzealous DRM backfiring.

I don't get it but I'm going to be pretty annoyed if I get the lovely ending having done all the monotonous side quests.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DerDestroyer posted:

why a group like the Reapers would do what they do.

Because they're loving dicks

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Because they're loving dicks
I always hoped the big reveal would be something silly like they are watching us fight/live like some giant antfarm for their own pleasure and the "winning" race gets to join them as reaper.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Charlie Mopps posted:

Meeting Liara on Mars made me really happy with how they handled it. :3:

Definitely. That was the beginning of the game letting me know that the romance would show up even outside of specific Normandy scenes, and it was just great. Especially since I wasn't expecting it at all, because ME1 and ME2 certainly didn't do that. They just act so natural and right throughout the entirety of Mars and it continues on throughout the rest of the game.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Aristobulus posted:

Definitely. That was the beginning of the game letting me know that the romance would show up even outside of specific Normandy scenes, and it was just great. Especially since I wasn't expecting it at all, because ME1 and ME2 certainly didn't do that. They just act so natural and right throughout the entirety of Mars and it continues on throughout the rest of the game.

I like the comment Wrex made about Shep and Liara especially considering mine was a Femshep. At first I thought Wrex was just speaking in a general context since one would assume Asari are better kissers than Krogan. But then I realized he was specifically addressing the Shep x Liara connection.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

DerDestroyer posted:

I think a better ending would be Shepard defeating the reapers without knowing what they actually wanted. Thus the civilizations are left to their own devices to find out the truth for themselves.

This, to me, was the main theme throughout the entire series. Other people have pointed it out, but if you play Shepard a certain way you're effectively freeing every group you come across in one way or another. You almost always get "It's for their own good, we know what's best for them" as a justification, to which Shepard can always respond "gently caress off".

The culmination of the entire series was another instance of this, sans the "gently caress off". It's blatantly and transparently out of place and doesn't fit in with the rest of the series at all dammit! :argh:

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

DerDestroyer posted:

I like the comment Wrex made about Shep and Liara especially considering mine was a Femshep. At first I thought Wrex was just speaking in a general context since one would assume Asari are better kissers than Krogan. But then I realized he was specifically addressing the Shep x Liara connection.

Yeah, there's tons of great references all throughout the game. I loved Wrex's delivery of that line. Complaining about how Liara gets a better room, and then just "but I'm not as good a kisser as she is." then the way he laughs at Shepard.

Aethyta had a similar golden set of lines talking about Liara/Shep if you got that conversation.

And the game was just filled with people actually acknowledging my Shep/Liara romance. It was great.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm trying to figure out the location for Kelly Chambers...

Is she supposed to be in the refugee camp right when I arrive at the Citadel after it opens up to the different areas or do I have to wait for after another event like meeting up with Wrex? I'm trying to figure out if she's bugged in my game and I'm going to have to hack the file to make her show up....

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

tadashi posted:

I'm trying to figure out the location for Kelly Chambers...

Is she supposed to be in the refugee camp right when I arrive at the Citadel after it opens up to the different areas or do I have to wait for after another event like meeting up with Wrex? I'm trying to figure out if she's bugged in my game and I'm going to have to hack the file to make her show up....

She apparently only shows up if you do the pseudo romance with her in ME2.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I'm kind of annoyed it took them so long to introduce Tali. Keep her whole 'thing' for later, but I was eager for more than a handful of companions. BioWare just knows their audience, I guess. I never picked up From Ashes either. I will in my Renegade run. I just need to finish this and see the amazing ending everyone loves so much.

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah, playing an Adept is really fun this time. Even in ME2 I felt like it was a bit clumsy but now it's really fluid and I love how perfectly the powers seem to arc around cover and whatnot. The recharge/cooldown times are spot on too, you're always doing something.

I dunno. Adept feels a little to..spammy to me? I liked ME1 (because they were broken good) where powers turned you into a Space Wizard. Now it just feels like I'm lobbing magic missile all day long, which is what the guns are for! I'd rather have powers go back to long cooldown/powerful too, even if it was just, say, Singularity (since it's Space Wizard only). Kind of like Singularity is to Grenades for the other classes, just with no limit but long cooldown. I also wish the game would recognize your class in some cutscenes, because apparently biotics can jump down ledges without taking damage, and using biotics to kill an enemy in a cutscene instead of shooting them would have been nice for a change.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Aristobulus posted:

Yeah, there's tons of great references all throughout the game. I loved Wrex's delivery of that line. Complaining about how Liara gets a better room, and then just "but I'm not as good a kisser as she is." then the way he laughs at Shepard.

Aethyta had a similar golden set of lines talking about Liara/Shep if you got that conversation.

And the game was just filled with people actually acknowledging my Shep/Liara romance. It was great.

It's unfortunate Bioware has a tendency to be a creepy company with creepy fans. Hurts the enjoyment of the whole thing a little bit.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So if I don't complete a side quest that is hidden on a mission is it going to be active on my journal forever? (Why did they make the journal system worse?)

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Aristobulus posted:

I do think ManShep gets the best line from Aethyta, asking Liara 'And how many times have you popped his thermal clip?' :lol:

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Spacebump posted:

So if I don't complete a side quest that is hidden on a mission is it going to be active on my journal forever? (Why did they make the journal system worse?)

Yup!

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

JAF07 posted:

I finished my first playthrough with my original save from ME1 where I romanced Ashley, and I'm working on my second where I saved Kaiden and romanced Liara.

Right from the loving get-go the relationship with Liara is handled so much better. For most of the beginning of the game, Ashley is flip-flopping between wanting to be all gooey with you and calling you out for working with Cerberus. After the midpoint of the game she basically becomes ME2 Zaeed/Kasumi with barely any interaction moments. Couple that with Ashley's VA sounding like she mailed one in and the complete lack of growth in Ash as a character and it just winds up boring as hell. The friendzone interactions with Liara made me wish I had romanced her instead.

I think Liara was far and away the worst character in ME1, the Asari were just full of nerd pandering and terrible cliches and she was the worst of them. By ME3 I think she was the best character. They did a good job turning that trainwreck around.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Spacebump posted:

If you complete a mission and don't pick up an item required for a sidequest, it eventually becomes available for purchase from Spectre Requisitions.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
The trilogy definitely reflected a sense of progression and growth for many of the characters. It isn't hard to believe that someone like Liara would be the way she was in the first game given how "young" and inexperienced she was. Even Shepard went from being just an exemplary soldier to a worn out old veteran with serious PTSD, stress issues and probably depression. Everyone changed through the 3 games and I really liked that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm really impressed with what ME3 did with some of the characters. It made me genuinely like Kaidan (previously the only good thing I had to say about him was "well, he's better than Ashley"). It also made me feel a little bad for switching romance from Liara to Miranda in ME2. If I ever do another playthrough of the series I'll definitely do the Liara romance all the way to see how it plays out.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I romanced Liara in ME1, 'stayed faithful' to her in 2 (kept a save game with my options open to anyone at the end, though), and was flirting with her in 3...until I ended up flirting with the gay shuttle pilot a little too much and got the cold shoulder from that point on. I didn't want to lose all that buildup, so i ended up finding an old save and undoing that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Wiseblood posted:

If you complete a mission and don't pick up an item required for a sidequest, it eventually becomes available for purchase from Spectre Requisitions.

Even the dlc mission Eden Prime colonists info ?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Darko posted:

I romanced Liara in ME1, 'stayed faithful' to her in 2 (kept a save game with my options open to anyone at the end, though), and was flirting with her in 3...until I ended up flirting with the gay shuttle pilot a little too much and got the cold shoulder from that point on. I didn't want to lose all that buildup, so i ended up finding an old save and undoing that.
How'd that happen? I was pretty sure Cortez doesn't flag as a romance until you literally tell him that you like dick.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Charlie Mopps posted:

I do think ManShep gets the best line from Aethyta, asking Liara 'And how many times have you popped his thermal clip?' :lol:

Jack has the best line in the game.

Bite me, Garrus. Better yet, bite her. I bet that's how she likes it.

I did not expect that.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

BrianWilly posted:

How'd that happen? I was pretty sure Cortez doesn't flag as a romance until you literally tell him that you like dick.

Yeah, seriously:

Also, I appreciate that Cortez was gay and Traynor was lesbian, instead of everyone being "Shepard-sexual" :v:

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Just got Zaeed's shopping list in my inbox :allears:

-Incendiary Grenades

-Thermal Clips

-M451 Firestorm Fuel

-Avenger Rife Parts

-2 Bottles of triple-distlled 45 year-old whiskey

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So having successfully installed the shadow broker using the officially supported method recommended by Bioware tech support, I noticed on loading up my old save that all my achievements got wiped. Is that going to have an effect on my ME3 game?

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Is it true that Kaidan and Ashley can go gay in ME3 if you didn't romance anyone because if so :psyduck:.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

So having successfully installed the shadow broker using the officially supported method recommended by Bioware tech support, I noticed on loading up my old save that all my achievements got wiped. Is that going to have an effect on my ME3 game?

Nope.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Yo so I'm playing this for the first time, starting right from the begining; is there any way I can gimp my dude? I'd like to try the biotic/soldier combo type start.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I was watching this (it's funny but whatever) and there's a woman at 2:15 and I know I saw her as an announced squadmate when they first started releasing info on the game. Was she cut?

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Ambiguatron posted:

Jack has the best line in the game.

Bite me, Garrus. Better yet, bite her. I bet that's how she likes it.

I did not expect that.

Tali. Emergency. Induction. Port. :colbert:

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

So I was watching this (it's funny but whatever) and there's a woman at 2:15 and I know I saw her as an announced squadmate when they first started releasing info on the game. Was she cut?

That's Ashely. She got a makeover if you didn't recognize her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

That is Ashley.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah, Ashley was cut.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Creepy Goat posted:

Just got Zaeed's shopping list in my inbox :allears:

-Incendiary Grenades

-Thermal Clips

-M451 Firestorm Fuel

-Avenger Rife Parts

-2 Bottles of triple-distlled 45 year-old whiskey

Reapers never stood a chance once he finished rebuilding Jessie.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
Hey guys! So I've been working on the OP, and I added a Quest Help section to help with the quests that aren't very clearly explained. It's not complete, but I've started my second playthrough so I'm adding to this as I go. If you have ideas on other ones for me to add, just let me know and I'll work on it. :)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

gender illusionist posted:

Yo so I'm playing this for the first time, starting right from the begining; is there any way I can gimp my dude? I'd like to try the biotic/soldier combo type start.
Play anything but vanguard, only use SMGs without accuracy mods, don't diversify your squad, only level up abilities that provide you with health and shields (but not damage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryan-RB
Mar 19, 2006

If we knew the will of God, then we'd all be Gods, wouldn't we?

DerDestroyer posted:

I think that just about any written justification for the reaper's actions at this point would be completely underwhelming compared to just leaving it unknown.

I think one of the primary problems with the reapers is that they're basically immortal highly intelligent beings with millions of years worth of experience and knowledge about the world. Considering how unenlightened we are as a species in real life it would be very difficult for a writer to convey a perspective that wouldn't come across as a massive logical fallacy and copout.

If they wanted to justify the Reapers they should've called in some philosophers or scientists who would probably have a better perspective as to why a group like the Reapers would do what they do. I don't really think you could trust that particular segment of the story to a writer, a wiser thing would be to just leave it as an unknown.

It would be better than what we got. In fact, I'd prefer the mystery. No one knows why an earthquake suddenly rips nations in half and sends tidal waves over their cities, killing half their populations in the process. No one knows why supervolcanoes suddenly erupt and wipe out half the planet. On a smaller scale, no one knows why someone you like turns around and cheats on you. I mean, science explains processes, but the moral "Why? What did that happen for?" is usually unknown to us. Life is full of unknowns and sudden upsets. The Reapers are more frightening to me as a force of nature: poo poo that just happens.

Aristobulus posted:

Okay! I've read about this Aethyta thing, but never ran into her. Which part of the galaxy? Somehow, I also managed to miss that conversation where Liara offers Shepard a chance to record something about himself for posterity.

Ryan-RB fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 12, 2012

• Locked thread