Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

So I was watching this (it's funny but whatever) and there's a woman at 2:15 and I know I saw her as an announced squadmate when they first started releasing info on the game. Was she cut?

That's Ashley. She got a makeover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

RickDaedalus posted:

That's Ashely. She got a makeover if you didn't recognize her.

Well she looks nothing like Ashley :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Count Choculitis posted:

[*]Benning: Evidence: This guy's son has vanished and he needs to know what happened. After completing the mission, if you still don't have the evidence, head to the Spectre Requisitions terminal to purchase it.[/list]

I think you should clarify that this goes for many of the sidequests. Any sidequest that is resolved by finding something in a mission (as opposed to scanning the planet) will do this if you miss finding it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay so I'm watching the Jacob romance clips on Youtube and oh my god this is the best/worst thing in the world.

Basically this is the one and only "romance" from a previous game that is actually impossible to rekindle because not only does he cheat on you (for a change!), he also goes and knocks up his new girlfriend.

It's beautiful. And nothing of value was lost.

But the prize.

DerDestroyer posted:

Is it true that Kaidan and Ashley can go gay in ME3 if you didn't romance anyone because if so :psyduck:.
Kaidan can. Ashley doesn't.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Ryan-RB posted:

It would be better than what we got. In fact, I'd prefer the mystery. No one knows why an earthquake suddenly rips nations in half and sends tidal waves over their cities, killing half their populations in the process. No one knows why supervolcanoes suddenly erupt and wipe out half the planet.
Yes, we-

quote:

I mean, science explains processes, but the moral "Why? What did that happen for?" is usually unknown to us.
Oh.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Regy Rusty posted:

I think you should clarify that this goes for many of the sidequests. Any sidequest that is resolved by finding something in a mission (as opposed to scanning the planet) will do this if you miss finding it.

Count Choculitis posted:

The items you need for Citadel: quests can be found when you go scanning systems, but they can also sometimes be purchased from the Spectre Requisitions terminal in the Embassies if you missed them, so don't forget to check there.

Have it at the top. :)

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Ryan-RB posted:

Okay! I've read about this Aethyta thing, but never ran into her. Which part of the galaxy? Somehow, I also managed to miss that conversation where Liara offers Shepard a chance to record something about himself for posterity.
She's a bartender on the Citadel, Presidium Commons, after the Sur'Kesh mission.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Ryan-RB posted:

Okay! I've read about this Aethyta thing, but never ran into her. Which part of the galaxy? Somehow, I also managed to miss that conversation where Liara offers Shepard a chance to record something about himself for posterity.

I'm pretty sure she only shows up after you do the citadel: biotic amps mission, and then only before the Priority: Tuchanka mission. That is, I think Aethyta leaves the bar once the citadel gets invaded.

At least that is how it worked for me.

Edit - By the way, do you play the multiplayer on PC any?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ryan-RB posted:

Somehow, I also managed to miss that conversation where Liara offers Shepard a chance to record something about himself for posterity.

You have to invite her up with your intercom. It's on your desk in your quarters. I don't know if you can skip the "call dudes up" events by completing too many missions, though.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Spacebump posted:

Even the dlc mission Eden Prime colonists info ?

Oh yeah, that one. Yeah, unfortunately you can no longer complete that and it stays stuck in your journal.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Aristobulus posted:

Yeah, there's tons of great references all throughout the game. I loved Wrex's delivery of that line. Complaining about how Liara gets a better room, and then just "but I'm not as good a kisser as she is." then the way he laughs at Shepard.

Aethyta had a similar golden set of lines talking about Liara/Shep if you got that conversation.

And the game was just filled with people actually acknowledging my Shep/Liara romance. It was great.

With Tali I only noticed one person make a comment on it. EDI basically saying to stop with the innuendo during a conversation because she already knows you're loving.

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

"Do you know how hard it was to find 'a bangin' redhead'?"
Ok, I'm kind of getting most of the ending hate, I didn't think they were atrocious per se, but to each his own. I am trying to get a write up about why I feel the way I do, so everyone else can point and rage at my stupidity but part of it is this:

Was I the only one that felt like the entirely of ME3 was the results of Shepard's actions up to this point? Like, Bioware didn't have to show me "the results of my actions", I already knew? I brokered peace between the krogan and turians, I cured the genophage, I made the quarians realize what dicks they were. I did everything to build a sufficient force to defeat the reapers and that's what I did. Shep died (in my ending) and to be honest that's what I was expecting. Now, all that being said, yes there was plenty in the ending cinematics that made no sense like the Normandy running from...what? but I really felt like I already knew the consequences of my actions. I built a massive army. I ended the reaper threat. Yeah, everyone's probably a little screwed with the whole mass relays getting blowed up but surely they can all figure out how to fix it.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
When does my EMS get locked for ending purposes? If I started the final mission, can I play multiplayer and then finish the mission? Or do I have to play multiplayer first before starting the mission?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
About to do The Cerberus base , my EMS is at 4946 after doing some online..am I good to go for the best ending?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dolphin Fetus posted:

About to do The Cerberus base , my EMS is at 4946 after doing some few online..am I good to go for the best ending?

You're fine.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Tyree posted:

When does my EMS get locked for ending purposes? If I started the final mission, can I play multiplayer and then finish the mission? Or do I have to play multiplayer first before starting the mission?
Based on what others have said, I think its locked the moment you start the final segment. The game tells you clearly when that is, so you cant really miss it.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Dolphin Fetus posted:

About to do The Cerberus base , my EMS is at 4946 after doing some online..am I good to go for the best ending?

I heard 4k+ is fine, I ended with about 6.9k EMS.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Charlie Mopps posted:

Based on what others have said, I think its locked the moment you start the final segment. The game tells you clearly when that is, so you cant really miss it.

So before the cerberus base not Earth

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

gender illusionist posted:

Yo so I'm playing this for the first time, starting right from the begining; is there any way I can gimp my dude? I'd like to try the biotic/soldier combo type start.

Vanguard? :getin:
Get charge, nova, grab a pistol or shotgun and go to town. :shepface:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Tyree posted:

So before the cerberus base not Earth

There is actually one more War Asset after the Cerberus Base.

You get either the Reaper Brain (110 WA) or Reaper Heart (100 WA), depending on whether you destroyed or saved the Collector base.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

Gadzuko posted:

If the issue was your reputation, the option would show up but it would be grayed out. Are you sure you didn't get Tali exiled during ME2 or something?

edit: you said you did the Admiral's mission, did you save the admiral? That's a requirement unless you destroyed the geth heretics.

Yeah, I saved the Admiral. Does Tali still become Admiral even if she's been exiled? I'm absolutely certain I saved her from exile, and stopped the feud between her and Legion in 2, but no paragon/renegade options open up during Legion's upload. Guess I'm just hosed. Oh well, not like it matters with the ending..

Ryan-RB
Mar 19, 2006

If we knew the will of God, then we'd all be Gods, wouldn't we?

Aristobulus posted:

I'm pretty sure she only shows up after you do the citadel: biotic amps mission, and then only before the Priority: Tuchanka mission. That is, I think Aethyta leaves the bar once the citadel gets invaded.

At least that is how it worked for me.

Edit - By the way, do you play the multiplayer on PC any?

Thanks!

I'd love a game, but: Xbox :(

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Aristobulus posted:

Yeah, there's tons of great references all throughout the game. I loved Wrex's delivery of that line. Complaining about how Liara gets a better room, and then just "but I'm not as good a kisser as she is." then the way he laughs at Shepard.

Aethyta had a similar golden set of lines talking about Liara/Shep if you got that conversation.

And the game was just filled with people actually acknowledging my Shep/Liara romance. It was great.

There was some pretty funny stuff with Tali as well. On the Geth Dreadnought mission for example. EDI's bit here is pretty good, but I had Garrus with me, and he was basically like "Christ, will you two get a room already?"

E: Here's that version.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 12, 2012

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

With Tali I only noticed one person make a comment on it. EDI basically saying to stop with the innuendo during a conversation because she already knows you're loving.
She likes to watch. So much useful data!

Hyosho
May 9, 2006

Hidohebhi posted:

Ok, I'm kind of getting most of the ending hate, I didn't think they were atrocious per se, but to each his own. I am trying to get a write up about why I feel the way I do, so everyone else can point and rage at my stupidity but part of it is this:

Was I the only one that felt like the entirely of ME3 was the results of Shepard's actions up to this point? Like, Bioware didn't have to show me "the results of my actions", I already knew? I brokered peace between the krogan and turians, I cured the genophage, I made the quarians realize what dicks they were. I did everything to build a sufficient force to defeat the reapers and that's what I did. Shep died (in my ending) and to be honest that's what I was expecting. Now, all that being said, yes there was plenty in the ending cinematics that made no sense like the Normandy running from...what? but I really felt like I already knew the consequences of my actions. I built a massive army. I ended the reaper threat. Yeah, everyone's probably a little screwed with the whole mass relays getting blowed up but surely they can all figure out how to fix it.

None of that mattered in the slightest. Your game would have been identical if you'd "hosed up" from ME1 onwards, that's why everyone's pissed off.

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

"Do you know how hard it was to find 'a bangin' redhead'?"

Hyosho posted:

None of that mattered in the slightest. Your game would have been identical if you'd "hosed up" from ME1 onwards, that's why everyone's pissed off.

Oh. Well, somehow that doesn't really matter to me. All roads lead to Rome, I guess.

Edit: Except the game wouldn't have really been identical. The ending, yes, but not the game itself.

Hidohebhi fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 12, 2012

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Hyosho posted:

This is true. No closure. All that matters is ME3- if you get a certain war score, you win by default.

You don't hear how the Galaxy rebuilds, how the Geth and Quarians possibly get along. It just... ends.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Even that alone isn't the biggest problem.

The ending, standing on its own, even without the investment we all put into this series, is a very poor ending.

There's no good justification for the summer workshop "fake deepness" ending that was inserted. If you wanted to have a bitter ending showing how "you can't save everyone" or even "you sometimes can't win" there's still so many better ways to do it than this.

And here's another thing. If you're going to use Deus Ex Machina at all, you better make it really pay off. It's a terribly plot device in the first place and it's just compounded by no payoff either for the characters or for us.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
Any tips for my insanity run? I'm an infiltrator. It's an import so I upgraded to Black Widow X and have stasis as my extra power. Any suggestions for crewmates to take?

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
The Citadel: Hanar Diplomat is bugged for me, I activated the first terminal but then I did some other quests and now none of it works. From some googling this is apparently a well-known and common bug but there's no solution. Reverting isn't an option because I'd lose HOURS of playing, does anyone know if I can just edit my save or something? If there really is no fix, does this mission make a major difference to future game events (other than giving you some war assets)?

Hyosho
May 9, 2006

Hidohebhi posted:

Oh. Well, somehow that doesn't really matter to me. All roads lead to Rome, I guess.

Edit: Except the game wouldn't have really been identical. The ending, yes, but not the game itself.

Everything is identical. None of the decisions you make matter. I did a deliberately bad ME1+2 run so that everyone was dead and I made all the "worst" decisions and the ONLY difference is that recurring characters are replaced by "generic salarian scientist 01" and someone will occasionally mention that you picked "spacer" as your origin story.

Case in point: the ending to ME2? The big moral decision about the collector base? As someone mentions earlier it makes a difference of 10 WA points.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Hyosho posted:

Everything is identical. None of the decisions you make matter. I did a deliberately bad ME1+2 run so that everyone was dead and I made all the "worst" decisions and the ONLY difference is that recurring characters are replaced by "generic salarian scientist 01" and someone will occasionally mention that you picked "spacer" as your origin story.

Case in point: the ending to ME2? The big moral decision about the collector base? As someone mentions earlier it makes a difference of 10 WA points.

That's not quite the worst bit of crazy rewards. Doing a ridiculous number of ME1 side quests and being renegade to Conrad Verner for all 3 games gives you Conrad as an asset.

He is worth 1 war asset.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Infinite Monkeys posted:

The Citadel: Hanar Diplomat is bugged for me, I activated the first terminal but then I did some other quests and now none of it works. From some googling this is apparently a well-known and common bug but there's no solution. Reverting isn't an option because I'd lose HOURS of playing, does anyone know if I can just edit my save or something? If there really is no fix, does this mission make a major difference to future game events (other than giving you some war assets)?
No, you can skip it without losing much except some war assets.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer in this, for the couple of hours I've played it. Is it just that I've never played any kind of Hoarde Mode before or is it actually good?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

randombattle posted:

That's not quite the worst bit of crazy rewards. Doing a ridiculous number of ME1 side quests and being renegade to Conrad Verner for all 3 games gives you Conrad as an asset.

He is worth 1 war asset.

Come now, you must admit that bit was hilarious. Especially when afterwards he starts complaining about the changeover from cooling unlimited weapons to disposable heatsinks.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

BrianWilly posted:

Okay so I'm watching the Jacob romance clips on Youtube and oh my god this is the best/worst thing in the world.

Basically this is the one and only "romance" from a previous game that is actually impossible to rekindle because not only does he cheat on you (for a change!), he also goes and knocks up his new girlfriend.

It's beautiful. And nothing of value was lost.

Haha yeah, imagine the rage if they pulled that with Kaiden or Tali.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Well I just beat it, that ending was indeed not that good.
That said I don't get the extreme hate all that well either; Maybe because I was prepared for it after hearing about it.
I am just very disappointed they went with fake-depth.

I am however very sad we did not get to biotic charge harbinger in the face.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

bagrada posted:

Haha yeah, imagine the rage if they pulled that with Kaiden or Tali.

Well, if you don't romance either of them, Tali and Garrus wind up together (near endgame+character spoilers). Possibly my favorite character moment in the game. :3:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Hidohebhi posted:

The problem is that in the end none of your choices ended up mattering and there is no hope left. It doesn't matter if you cured the genophage, brokered peace between the Quarians and Geth or saved your squad or whatever. In the end JC Shepard makes his choice but no matter if he joins the illuminati, merges with the machines or throws everyone into the dark age, everyone ends up in the dark age anyway and the galaxy is hosed. You don't get the choice to sacrifice yourself for the galaxy and the lives of your crew, gently caress the galaxy over to be with your love interest or anything. Bioware decided to salt the universe in an attempt to be deep with a non-sequiter ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The Jacob thing is funny because in ME2 people wait 2 drat years even after Shepard loving DIES. In ME3 Shepard is just land locked on Earth and god drat man you could have gone to see Shep! She wouldn't even be dead!

ChronoReverse posted:

Come now, you must admit that bit was hilarious. Especially when afterwards he starts complaining about the changeover from cooling unlimited weapons to disposable heatsinks.

It was pretty drat good and I agree with him! Unlimited weapons were way cooler!

I think they should have made it so if you run out of heatsinks it switches to a less optimal unlimited with overheating ammo mode.

• Locked thread