Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I don't know. I thought the race would be more "hilarious" scripted antics, but they did it properly, didn't mock the regular crowd like usual, and didn't create drama by pretending to not really liking each other, when we all know full well they meet up socially outside of work. The cars weren't purposefully shite, and there was very little time spent on "Let's make it better (but actually worse) with modifications ho ho ho" besides the stickers, which I don't mind. Any bumping into each other seemed like part of the racing and not put on for the cameras. They also cut out a lot of the laps, showing one or two interesting bits then telling the audience the result. That worked well for me, keeping the pace of the narrative up.

The Kimi bit was exceedingly "meh", though, and Slash wasn't a very good guest, probably because it felt like it was all for shameless promo again. I agree with you on the M5, and I didn't think the Audi joke needed repeating. Overall, a solid episode. It's hard to be novel having done so many series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The racing was brilliant, and they all looked like they were thoroughly enjoying themselves. That's when I feel Top Gear is best.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005
I really liked the "Challenge" part of it a lot, probably haven't had that much fun watching a challenge in a long time. It wasn't the typical build up and so forth, which is fine by me because it made for a good break in that. But during the race, I really genuinely felt excited for them, for all three of them equally actually. The typical bits and pieces of their on camera persona was stripped away once the cars got moving and it really was just fun watching them go around the track.

And I agree, the track racing was really well edited. It never got dull, just kept making me smile a bit more.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

law abiding rapist posted:

If it were your $5.6 million Ferrari, which Top Gear presenter would you choose to drive it?
It was actually 5.6 million UK pounds, which puts it closer to $9 million. Still, James' comparison to taking an original Rembrandt down the pub on a friday night was quite apt.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BLOOD TYPE: RED

Best thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fivre posted:

Fixed that for you.

I'm seriously considering bringing a brand new King Dick spanner or something similar to the Top Gear Live show to see if I can get James to sign it.

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

Data Graham posted:

BLOOD TYPE: RED

Best thing.
Kimi's "oops" was the best thing.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
God drat that rallycross segment was great! Easily made up for any other shortcommings this season - I loved it.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
A better episode, at least no recycled DVD material this time, although two Clarkson chat sessions. grrr.

This season was one of the weakest in recent times though, from the piss poor India special to the 20 min advert for The Sweeney.
I hope they return to form next season.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Definitely a great way to finish off the season, seeing genuine feelings out of the presenters (Ferrari+rallycross) was excellent. The only thing I would have changed would be to cut all the chat and do an M5 historical review.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

destructo posted:

Definitely a great way to finish off the season, seeing genuine feelings out of the presenters (Ferrari+rallycross) was excellent. The only thing I would have changed would be to cut all the chat and do an M5 historical review.

That's what they need to do. gently caress off reviewing new cars. Review old cars. Discuss the history and previous models of popular cars. I'd love to learn about the evolution of the 3 series, or the history Ferrari or something. Granted the new M5 is actually different from the last one, but it's still a new M5.

Froderick
Aug 15, 2007

You don't box in a vet.
Wow after that episode I'm starting to prefer TGUS. Rallycross was the only redeeming part.

Jut posted:

This season was one of the weakest in recent times though, from the piss poor India special to the 20 min advert for The Sweeney.

This.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
The M5 review felt weak, but Kimi was funny, Slash was meh, and the rallycross/Ferrari bits were high points for the entire season. Good ep overall.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Xenoid posted:

The M5 review felt weak, but Kimi was funny, Slash was meh, and the rallycross/Ferrari bits were high points for the entire season. Good ep overall.

Hammond looks really tiny in the M5.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cojawfee posted:

I really just want to start racing, but the only track near me is some country club track. Hopefully that F1 track in Austin has some stuff.

https://www.chumpcar.com

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Mister Kingdom posted:

To be fair, he looks really tiny in anything bigger than a Mini.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

drat, those seats look comfy.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
How tall is Hammond anyway, about 5'7?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

jojoinnit posted:

How tall is Hammond anyway, about 5'7?

That's what Wikipedia says. What's he weigh? About 130-140?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Oh Finns, you're so bad at interviews

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Oh Finns, you're so bad at interviews

That interview quells all "get someone who knows about cars" arguments.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Another extremely entertaining episode of TGUS. Anyone not watching is missing out. There wasn't even a SIARPC, just 42 minutes of hilarity.

I really hope TGUS devotes a full episode to LeMons/Chump Car, maybe lightning will strike twice and it'll be as good as the rallycross challenge from the UK show. Basically, anything to avoid forcing the hosts to read cue cards and recite lines!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I really just want to start racing, but the only track near me is some country club track. Hopefully that F1 track in Austin has some stuff.
I think my nearest track is 200 something miles away, really gotta get out there sometime.

This would be a few hundred more miles away if it ever gets built, James May should review it :v:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/12/exact-nurburgring-copy-under-consideration-for-las-vegas/

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I really hope TGUS devotes a full episode to LeMons/Chump Car, maybe lightning will strike twice and it'll be as good as the rallycross challenge from the UK show. Basically, anything to avoid forcing the hosts to read cue cards and recite lines!
Tanner and the Stig get get the lead, team docked 1000 penalty laps when Adam assumes he can drive like it's a destruction derby cause the cars are crap.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cojawfee posted:

That's what they need to do. gently caress off reviewing new cars. Review old cars. Discuss the history and previous models of popular cars. I'd love to learn about the evolution of the 3 series, or the history Ferrari or something. Granted the new M5 is actually different from the last one, but it's still a new M5.

And do more amateur racing segments like the rallycross bit. It felt like they were genuinely just having great fun and happened to have the cameras rolling.

I'd love it if they focused a bit more on the whole "if you've got petrol in your veins, here's how you can go racing and have fun without breaking the bank" thing.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

ColHannibal posted:

That interview quells all "get someone who knows about cars" arguments.

To me it was more Clarkson just asking all the obvious questions "haha this thing you did was soooo wacky and this other thing and that thing and all these things. Oops times over well there's your lap off you go."

Clarkson made that a bad interview, not Kimi.

Rest of the episode was good though. I enjoyed the Slash interview and while I wanted the rallycross segment to be even longer I looked back and it took up a full 1/3rd of the episode.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 13, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jut posted:

A better episode, at least no recycled DVD material this time, although two Clarkson chat sessions. grrr.

You negative Nancy.

I think this was one of the better seasons, but I agree with you on the Sweeney bit, that should've been cut, burnt and fed to that director.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Someone should make a gif of May's face in the California when he revs it.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

That was an awesome episode. The last segment is only making me more eager to get my little £300 Golf back out on the track, and Slash playing guitar atop the Hilux was a brilliant way to finish the season. Fact is, even at it's worst, Top Gear is better than any other motoring programme IN THE WORLD, so I appreciate it for that. As it happens, it's mostly fantastic. :)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That was a solid episode, I thought. The racing bit was absolutely great. I love when they buy old cars and don't cock them up. That segment really has me wanting to join a LeMons team.

drat that Citroen had some epic suspension travel.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The M5 was cool, Kimi was Finnish, the California was gorgeous, Slash was chill, rallycross was fun as hell - an excellent way to end a series.

The next series starts June-Julyish, right?

Griffith86
Jun 19, 2008

CornHolio posted:

That segment really has me wanting to join a LeMons team.

I'm actually surprised they haven't come to the US to do a few LeMon's events. Seems like it would be right up their alley. Or have them buy really lovely cars then have them have to travel to the event then actually race them.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One problem with doing a Lemons bit is that it's already a feast of cocking about. It isn't them being idiots in a group of serious adenoid-y car bores, as with the Alfa Romeo concourse for instance or to some extent the BMW in the endurance race.

One of the funniest things about Lemons is the punishments, Grill of Damocles etc. When stuff like that happens, the Lemons hosts will be the stars of the show, the ones that come up with crazy ideas and say funny things and that might not work with how the producers want to do Top Gear. It would definitely be cool though and I hope they do it some time. Perhaps more suited for TG USA?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dodoman posted:

Someone should make a gif of May's face in the California when he revs it.

I don't know how to make gifs but here's a screenshot!

:q:

And a bonus of Jeremy's "winning face"

:smug:
"Ladies and gentlemen, a miracle has happened today! I have won a thing!"

Edit: I just realized how remarkably similar these screenshots are.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 13, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Ola posted:

One problem with doing a Lemons bit is that it's already a feast of cocking about. It isn't them being idiots in a group of serious adenoid-y car bores, as with the Alfa Romeo concourse for instance or to some extent the BMW in the endurance race.

One of the funniest things about Lemons is the punishments, Grill of Damocles etc. When stuff like that happens, the Lemons hosts will be the stars of the show, the ones that come up with crazy ideas and say funny things and that might not work with how the producers want to do Top Gear. It would definitely be cool though and I hope they do it some time. Perhaps more suited for TG USA?

I asked Jay about that a year or two ago, and he said he'd been approached by the UK Top Gear guys, but that at the time the scheduling just wasn't working out. So it's not totally outside the realm of possibility.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

explosivo posted:

And a bonus of Jeremy's "winning face"

I can't get over how ridiculous Clarkson looks in those helmets.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Poor MR2 :smith: Although I wonder if it had the 5sfe or the 3sge in it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
There's also a segment where hist helmet is visible resting on the headliner and he's just sorta bouncing around underneath it. It must be hell to be just shy of two meters and having to wear a helmet inside a car.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
gently caress; double post.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

ratbert90 posted:

Poor MR2 :smith: Although I wonder if it had the 5sfe or the 3sge in it.

5sfe was the USDM engine, so would not have been using that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
May's four hundred quid MR2 lasted longer than my mate's four hundred quid MR2 did (oil leak > starvation > seizure).