Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Lady of the Beech posted:

I think all that's known about them is that ... Mindfang is wearing a sufferer sign so she must have affiliation with UU, or UU and young Mindfang share an affiliation with the same person,

While this is a possibility, them wearing similar symbols does not necessarily require any kind of connection between them. It is possible that Mindfang wears the symbols because ancestor-Karkat in the A1 universe was a big deal, as the people the game constructs tend to be exceptional or influential in some way, and he presumably wouldn't have had to hide his blood colour in peaceful Alternia. UU could wear those cufflinks for any number of reasons. She could just have made them in a bout of fangirlishness after reading about the Sufferer in whatever source of info she has on the B2 kids. Or in honour of something current Karkat does later. We really have very little concrete info at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Yeah, at this point there is simply not enough information to make reliable guesses, though the idea of UU making the cufflinks in a bout of fangirlishness seems likely. ^u^

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Seriously though if they aren't the A1 ancestors they're part of some completely new entirely unhinted-at extra set of already dead trolls. Too many trolls, even for Hussie.

It's tough to say but them being A1 Ancestors is a pretty solid bet.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

New theory: the story is going to end with Alternia and Earth being repopulated by the spirits of their dead civilzations, who are just going to sort of hop over from the furthest ring and dream bubbles onto the planets and continue where they left off. This song will then play in the background endlessly.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Fagtastic posted:

Seriously though if they aren't the A1 ancestors they're part of some completely new entirely unhinted-at extra set of already dead trolls. Too many trolls, even for Hussie.

It's tough to say but them being A1 Ancestors is a pretty solid bet.

There is the (admittedly remote) possibility that being in the dream bubbles for an extended time can change a person, and what we're seeing is actually the currently dead A2 trolls. Because if anything, Karkat has hinted that there's something weird going on with dead people space.

Karkat talking to himself posted:

CCG: AND I SHOULD BE RELIEVED THAT THEY ALL SEEM TO BE HAPPY IN SOME WAY, EVEN IF IT'S BY FLOATING NEBULOUSLY THROUGH DREAM PROJECTIONS WITH THEIR FREAKY BLANK EYES.
CCG: AND I GUESS I AM RELIEVED ABOUT THAT.
CCG: BUT AT THE SAME TIME IT'S LEFT ME UNSETTLED.
CCG: FOR REASONS I CAN'T REALLY PUT MY FINGER ON.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dr Christmas posted:

My theory is that they are the original versions from the scratched session that created the Alternia our "current" trolls are from. They have the dead white eyes (Lil' Condesce didn't when the page was first up, but they were later edited in, in case you missed it), so I guess their deaths might illustrate how their session was going to poo poo as they made the decision to cause a scratch.

Lil' Mindfang has a Sufferer symbol, so my baseless theory is that she's the Troll equivalent of a good Christian girl.
Wouldn't that make her the troll equivalent of a good heretic girl?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Elysiume posted:

Wouldn't that make her the troll equivalent of a good heretic girl?

Sorry, forgot to add more of my baseless speculation: According to Doc Scratch, A1 was peaceful, so I baselessly speculate that the Sufferer's (A1 Karkat's?) philosophy of kindness and harmony either became the dominant belief system one or at least was never quashed.

Since A1's Lil' Condesce seems to have the same mean streak as A2's, Lil' Mindfang is just using the good girl image to manipul8 her overly trusting lusus to thinking she's helping at an old folks home when she's actually out trying to get Lil' Summoner to smoke cigarettes.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 12, 2012

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Going by Doc Scratch's statements, it was more directly owed to the absence of a hyperambitious evil sea queen with the threat of the Vast Glub backing her up. It's certainly possible that A1 Karkat would have been an influential figure, though, especially without the whole civilization being constructed to be as lovely as possible. Of course we don't yet have any clear information on where the non-A2 appearances of the Cancer symbol came from and what they mean, so as you say this is pretty much baseless speculation; but I'd definitely agree A1 Karkat is one possible option.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Going by Doc Scratch's statements, it was more directly owed to the absence of a hyperambitious evil sea queen with the threat of the Vast Glub backing her up.

Well, Doc Scratch also interfered in more subtle ways, he said. That, and Lord English had his Handmaid zooming around through time, killing off certain people and causing various disasters and whatnot.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Didnt they say that memories pre-scratch bled over into A2 Sufferer? I always took it as A1 Trolls were peaceful and A2 Trolls were molded by Scratch and the Handmaid to be assholes, and the Sufferer had memories of a peaceful Alternia and tried to change it.

Basically I dont think the Sufferer was anyone significant in A1 (just a product of the culture) but tried to change the world in A2 because of lingering memories.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
So I've been playing Mass Effect 3 and (very minor spoiler without context) the Quarian who created and named the first Geth is named Zahhak. Now, I'm aware that Zahhak is also a figure of Persian legend, but given Equius' predilection toward robot-building, could this be a Homestuck reference? With the volume of nerds at Bioware it wouldn't surprise me but I don't want to sound like I'm reaching. It just made me chuckle when I caught it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KoB posted:

Didnt they say that memories pre-scratch bled over into A2 Sufferer? I always took it as A1 Trolls were peaceful and A2 Trolls were molded by Scratch and the Handmaid to be assholes, and the Sufferer had memories of a peaceful Alternia and tried to change it.

Basically I dont think the Sufferer was anyone significant in A1 (just a product of the culture) but tried to change the world in A2 because of lingering memories.

He was one of the Sburbgrub players for that session.

E: hurr cellphone spelling

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 12, 2012

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Tollymain posted:

He was one of the S[s]burb[s]grub players for that session.

That implies that the reason A1 was so peaceful was in part due to a more successful messiah--Karkat the troll Jebus, right? Which will make Lil' Mindfang's meeting with him... interesting, to say the least. I can't imagine he's what she imagines her messiah to be like.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
So I've been bummed about the fact that the new album hasn't been released, and I was poking around the music store. I discovered that I bought Prospit & Derse last August, listened to the entire album 28 times, and didn't listen to it after the 24th of August. It's like getting a brand new album! Also, Prospit & Derse is fantastic.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

The Fucky posted:

So I've been playing Mass Effect 3 and (very minor spoiler without context) the Quarian who created and named the first Geth is named Zahhak. Now, I'm aware that Zahhak is also a figure of Persian legend, but given Equius' predilection toward robot-building, could this be a Homestuck reference? With the volume of nerds at Bioware it wouldn't surprise me but I don't want to sound like I'm reaching. It just made me chuckle when I caught it.

Given that the Zahhak of legend was just a dude who had a lot of horses, I could totally see this being a reference.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
I just wanna say god-tier Eridan's wings look pretty rad.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Fatalism. :smith:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, that question about who is the real self and what not really has been rankling at me for some time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cleretic posted:

I just wanna say god-tier Eridan's wings look pretty rad.

Goddamn I look at his hood and all I can see is :psyduck:.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

So dead ghost god alternate past/future dream Feferi is reviving WV? Is that the Lifey thing? Damnit I can't wait for updates again, this is just so interesting.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Well, that sure is an interesting way of saving WV.

Also, where did Karkat get the jacket from?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
What if the timeline where gamzee goes insane early and kills everybody leads to all of the god tiers we are seeing?

tinaun fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 13, 2012

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:neckbeard: WV is gonna Rise Up!

e: also Eridan's pantaloons.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

tinaun posted:

What if the timeline where gamzee goes insane early and kills everybody also leads to all of the god tiers we are seeing?

I'm pretty sure he killed them all before the game happened, which would be a significant obstacle in gaining God-Tier.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Black Mage Knight posted:

Also, where did Karkat get the jacket from?

I think those are his arms, lest we bring another Tall Pants Karkat into the already crowded mindspace of this comic.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So Karkat is Pondering the nature of fate.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
God-tier Eridan and Fef have neat wings. Interesting that their wing shapes mimic their symbols; I don't recall Aradia's or Vriska's wings having any real representational value. Looks like the Dreambubble's backdrop is the Land of Wrath and Angels, too. Perhaps that timeline's Feferi actually entered the deathtrap and joined Eridan there, and that's how they gained god-tier? Pointless yet fun speculation.

Doing the lifey thing to WV. Hooray! I wonder how WV will get along with the rest of the meteor crew.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

YggiDee posted:

I'm pretty sure he killed them all before the game happened, which would be a significant obstacle in gaining God-Tier.

Significant, but not impossible.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Hmm I wonder if when it comes to elements blood would map to fate...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Cabbit posted:

Significant, but not impossible.

...True.

Strongylocentrotus posted:

I don't recall Aradia's or Vriska's wings having any real representational value.

I believe Vriska's wings have markings that match her pupils, one spot on one side and seven spots on the other.

Is Karkat awake or asleep right now? WV would have probably been saved pretty early on, so is this a flashback, or a dream or what??

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
So how about Eridan's new costume?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Well! Rose did say they'd be able to find help for WV along the way.

It's interesting that we seem to be getting information on goings-on entirely in the form of what is basically Karkat's private journal. I guess it makes sense in that nobody else would type giant walls of text to themselves, and anything more direct would probably be pretty disjointed due to the amount of ground to cover (for all that Karkat claims nothing was happening).

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Rumda posted:

Well blood could relate to familial obligations which is a sort of fate

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
The Life color works a lot better in the comic than I thought it would :)
Although it might just be because I'm comparing it to Eridan's outfit... seriously bro

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I get the strong feeling that were he not stuck in a dream bubble, the first thing God Tier Eridan would do is find a less embarrassing, purpler change of clothes

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

pandaK posted:

Well blood could relate to familial obligations which is a sort of fate

That was my reasoning, as well as the fact that each element seems to deal with a literal and a figurative use of its name.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

YggiDee posted:

I believe Vriska's wings have markings that match her pupils, one spot on one side and seven spots on the other.

I never noticed that. :downs: I thought the spots were symmetrical, but nope, you're right, one wing has spots and the other doesn't. Hussie and his little details!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like we'll finally see what is up with regards to the whole Karkat/Terezi thing.

Somber Karkat is actually pretty good too :shobon:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Rumda posted:

Well, let's draw some connections. Troll blood color is tied very directly to their fate, in both lifespan and social situation. It even informs their appearance, in eye color when they get older, apparently.

Meanwhile, all the dead players, who essentially have no fate because they've already reached the end of the line, have completely blank eyes. Likewise, the Huss-avatar, who as the author-insert can only interact with the story in very limited ways has completely blank eyes.

What would this mean, with Karkat being the Knight of [fate]?

quote:

the knight of [fate] is...a powerful warrior class which exploits the flow of [fate] as a weapon

How would that even work? Changing the fate of your opponents so they team up with you, making you the minion-master class of sburb? Rolling natural 20s at dramatically-important moments?

I don't know where I'm going with this. But I feel like we've got 2/3rds of the pieces for another one of those 'perfect moment when everything fits' puzzles that Hussie likes to drop into flashes.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

The Life color works a lot better in the comic than I thought it would :)
Although it might just be because I'm comparing it to Eridan's outfit... seriously bro

He probably thinks those pants are sweet as.

It's probably good that either bacteria can't live on the station, or that carapace people don't decay, though. WV's been dead for a year, surely he'd have started to smell otherwise.