Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

Unless you want flash support, expandable storage, 16:9 AR, HDMI out, DLNA, or USB Host support for things like this.

The market has spoken: it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Toady posted:

I want 16:10 and HDMI out, but the current offerings with those things are terrible.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Toady posted:

Some of it does. That is why Android tablets are selling in small to moderate numbers. Also why this thread exists.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Does anyone else feel like they've been transported to the Engadget comments section? This thread has grown even more content-free than usual. I'm getting a little upset that folks occasionally discuss their Android tablets here because it makes me actually check it from time to time.

So, in my foolhardy attempt to discuss Android tablets, is there any real word on the next Google reference tablet?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TildeATH posted:

So, in my foolhardy attempt to actually discuss Android tablets, is there any real word on the next Google reference tablet?
It'll probably be Jelly Bean-based, so I don't expect anything any time soon.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TildeATH posted:

Does anyone else feel like they've been transported to the Engadget comments section? This thread has grown even more content-free than usual. I'm getting a little upset that folks occasionally discuss their Android tablets here because it makes me actually check it from time to time.

So, in my foolhardy attempt to discuss Android tablets, is there any real word on the next Google reference tablet?

Nothing has really happened. Samsung showed off a bunch of re releases of their existing tablets. Asus showed off some tablets with zero release dates. Motorola is no where to be seen.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Motorola is no where to be seen.

Ahem.

The Xyboard would like to have a word with you...

Oh, wait, no scratch that the Xyboard is good. Carry on.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Codiusprime posted:

Ahem.

The Xyboard came out 4 months ago. And is basically a xoom with funny corners.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Codiusprime posted:

Ahem.

The Xyboard is still on Honeycomb and only has a 1280x800 screen. The only advantage is has over the Xoom is a slightly-better processor, but that pro is negated by the software not being supported by Google (hence still Honeycomb).

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Don Lapre posted:

The Xyboard came out 4 months ago. And is basically a xoom with funny corners.

Yeah but, spill proof.

Gonna be a party hit :colbert:

http://www.slashgear.com/motorola-xyboard-waterproof-editions-revealed-08217587/

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Sorry guys I wasn't clear the Xyboard was and still is a joke.

Had forgotten it came out four months ago though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Is this the actual advertisement done by motorola?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

TildeATH posted:

I don't see anything wrong with talking about how Android tablets might be missing the mark. That's just a reflection of reality in the face of a popular competitor. I think an Android tablet that is competitive with the iPad will be one that focuses on the main strength that tablets bring--the embrace of appliance computing and abandonment of complexity--and not on SD card slots, USB slots, Flash, etc. I think Google knows this, too.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So are there any 7" tablets on the market running ICS for around ~$300?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So are there any 7" tablets on the market running ICS for around ~$300?

Asus announced one at CES but it wasn't anywhere to be seen at MWC.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

teagone posted:

I think Chromebooks will be taking that crown soon, or at least be the jester of that debacle.
How about ultrabooks?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

b0nes posted:

How about ultrabooks?
Completely different price points and features and shouldn't be compared to netbooks/Chromebooks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ultrabooks are just thin laptops. they generally have decent specs and so far terrible touchpads since people are trying to do multitouch trackpads on windows.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

b0nes posted:

How about ultrabooks?
Isn't ASUS spearheading the whole ultrabook thing? If so, then I don't really foresee good things coming out of that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dell has an ultrabook out now and it looks pretty drat nice actually.

http://www.dell.com/html/global/xps13/xps-13-ultrabook.html?c=us&l=en&s=bsd

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

My Linux Rig posted:

Isn't ASUS spearheading the whole ultrabook thing? If so, then I don't really foresee good things coming out of that.

Intel created the definition and owns the trademark. Apple created the first one (the Macbook Air) that ultrabooks are imitating.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

evilweasel posted:

Intel created the definition and owns the trademark. Apple created the first one (the Macbook Air) that ultrabooks are imitating.

Are you sure that apple created the first one? I remember the Toshiba Portege existed back in 1996 or so that was pretty much a ultrabook. Same as the sony Viao C1's. (I accept that they were had pretty terrible performance, but were pretty much ultrabooks much ahead of the technology that they needed to be good)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Wibbleman posted:

Are you sure that apple created the first one? I remember the Toshiba Portege existed back in 1996 or so that was pretty much a ultrabook. Same as the sony Viao C1's. (I accept that they were had pretty terrible performance, but were pretty much ultrabooks much ahead of the technology that they needed to be good)
Fine. They created the first mainstream successful one. See: iPod, iPad, etc.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Wibbleman posted:

Most of the old devices were small all around like netbooks. The air is like a full sized laptop but really thin.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Can we please not have ultrabooks vs. previous ultraportables vs. subnotebooks vs. netbooks debate in this thread? It's terrible enough already.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

TildeATH posted:

A couple of days ago Digitimes was saying it might be released in May: http://androidandme.com/2012/03/tablets-2/digitimes-echos-our-nexus-tablet-by-asus-rumor-could-launch-as-early-as-may/

Then again, Digitimes. The 7" Transformer completely disappearing off the map at MWC is suspicious though, so maybe they're on to something.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 13, 2012

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vagrancy posted:

A couple of days ago Digitimes was saying it might be released in May: http://androidandme.com/2012/03/tablets-2/digitimes-echos-our-nexus-tablet-by-asus-rumor-could-launch-as-early-as-may/

Then again, Digitimes. The 7' Transformer completely disappearing off the map at MWC is suspicious though, so maybe they're on to something.

Is any gadget news actually news now, or is it just "a source told us" and the source is another blog that is quoting another blog?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

At this yospos are a better source of rumours than most tech blogs.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Vagrancy posted:

Then again, Digitimes. The 7' Transformer completely disappearing off the map at MWC is suspicious though, so maybe they're on to something.

A seven foot tablet... I don't know how it plugs into the keyboard, but I don't care. Once I have it, I'll finally be better than the other gadget posters on the entire Internet!!!

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is any gadget news actually news now, or is it just "a source told us" and the source is another blog that is quoting another blog?

Nope. Sometimes they even note the source as wrong within the same article yet still post it for the page views.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Android News Tech News: The :suicide: Of Investigative Journalism

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Tablet shipment numbers from IDC. No surprises at the top couple tablet manufacturers: Apple, Amazon, and Samsung. Rounding out the top five, though, are Barnes and Noble and Pandigital :stare:

Motorola? Asus? Can't compete with Pandigital!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Not on price.

Barnes and Noble's a nice surprise. That's just the numbers from calendar Q4 2011, though, and neither Motorola nor Asus had anything fresh at the time. The Transformer Prime didn't make it out in time for Christmas shopping.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

That's just the numbers from calendar Q4 2011, though, and neither Motorola nor Asus had anything fresh at the time.
By your logic Apple didn't have anything "fresh" either.

The Xoom and original Transformer were on the market for the holidays.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I think the market saturation for android is double edged, honestly. On one side, more people are getting to experience a more opened environment with other options than what they may have seen on ios.

The other side of that is, and some of this is from what the above article shows, a fair number of people are getting to "experience" android on lovely devices that barely run the system let alone take advantage of it.

I'm sure the same lackluster feel would be similar and just as aggravating on ios if their system were allowed to be on any hardware a developer feels sufficient to run it.

I can't help but feel like a good number of people pick up a <$150 tablet from some cheapo Chinese company and say "Man, I should have gotten an iPad! This Android crap is horrible!" Even though their tablet was about 1/3rd the price of an ipad, they compare the system and not the hardware or manufacturer.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Star War Sex Butt posted:

By your logic Apple didn't have anything "fresh" either.

The Xoom and original Transformer were on the market for the holidays.

I agree; Apple stuff doesn't seem to flag much in popularity, though.

To better explain what I meant: the Fire and Nook Tablet had just come out at the beginning of the quarter (and I think the Nook Color's price dropped), Samsung's slim Tab 10.1 came out just before the beginning of the quarter, and the Pandigital shitlets make great "I got you something expensive but not too expensive" impulse buys.

By comparison, the Xoom and the OG Transformer both debuted before the summer, and had had their time in the sun by Q4. They were on sale for the holidays, but not new anymore by any stretch; the Xoom came out in February, and the Prime hype had built to a towering inferno by November/December and probably ate into potential sales of the about-to-be-previous model.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I just put ICS on my Nook Color. Breathes new life into the device, alright!

That'll buy me another half year before I get the itch to buy a new tablet again. This really is the little tablet that could.

VietAssRapeFuckBros
Mar 8, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Has anything more concrete than "Sometime in Q2" materialized for the Transformer Infinity?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Splizwarf posted:

I agree; Apple stuff doesn't seem to flag much in popularity, though.

To better explain what I meant: the Fire and Nook Tablet had just come out at the beginning of the quarter (and I think the Nook Color's price dropped), Samsung's slim Tab 10.1 came out just before the beginning of the quarter, and the Pandigital shitlets make great "I got you something expensive but not too expensive" impulse buys.

By comparison, the Xoom and the OG Transformer both debuted before the summer, and had had their time in the sun by Q4. They were on sale for the holidays, but not new anymore by any stretch; the Xoom came out in February, and the Prime hype had built to a towering inferno by November/December and probably ate into potential sales of the about-to-be-previous model.

Motorola had the Xyboard out by early December. I'll take your word about a thinner Galaxy Tab 10.1, but didn't find anything about it after searching for a second. I don't think an almost-identical re-release would drive many sales for Samsung, but you may be right.

While I agree with your point in general, those are still very poor showings by Moto and Asus in particular for a Christmas quarter. Given that the old iPad was old by then and a new one coming in early 2012, coupled with everyone spending tons of money on consumer junk, it seems like the perfect time to push for sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Well poo poo, my (rooted) Fire definitely has some burn in going on at the bottom of the screen where the ICS notification bar is. I noticed issues with ghosting on the screen but it usually goes away. Has anybody else with a Fire had any burn in problems?