Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Count Choculitis posted:

Well, if you don't romance either of them, Tali and Garrus wind up together (near endgame+character spoilers). Possibly my favorite character moment in the game. :3:
That is so goddamned adorable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

I've been mulling over this game for a few days now. I loved the game from beginning to end (with the exception of a few more difficult portions, but that's expected on Insanity.) I'm not going to make apologies for the dev team on this one; they didn't really deliver on the "player choice" aspect as far as mechanics go. Mechanically, choices are utterly pointless, and to say anything else was lying to players.

The way I look at it, though, I really like what this game ended up being. I played Paragon, all the way through ME1, 2, and 3. I completed most side quests in ME1, all of them in 2, and got what I considered to be a perfect ending: Everyone was allied. Everyone lived. After completing the game, I went on youtube and started watching some Renegade options, to see what sorts of differences there were between the two. I watched Mordin's death, and it really, really disturbed me. Watching one of my favorite characters dragging himself across the ground as he died saying "not yet, not yet," distracted me all the way through dinner that night, causing my friends to ask what was wrong several times. I kept thinking to myself "why would that option be in the game? Who would do that?" The conclusion I came to - regarding that specific event and all of the choices in the game - is this: To me, choosing Paragon and saving everyone would have meant nothing if I could have chosen, or failed, to do otherwise.

Look at the Batman: Arkham series. Batman's refusal to kill anyone removes choice from the player's hands, making the decision purely character; it's not even a part of the game, really. Making it possible for beloved characters to die - even if mechanically the game is the same - makes the story much, much more compelling. My team lived because I saved them. Alliances that were seen as impossible were established because of me.

If you choose to see these games as nothing but games, and focus on the mechanics, then yeah, choices were a waste of time and stupid. If you cared about the characters, like I did, then it really means something to be able to save their lives. Or at least give them a worthy end.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Wiseblood posted:

Oh yeah, that one. Yeah, unfortunately you can no longer complete that and it stays stuck in your journal.

Even though I'm doing my second play through That is going to bother me so much. I hope it gets patched at some point to be like all the other side-quests.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
What was the leaked ending?

And why does God need a space ship? And why was Joker even making a jump at the end?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Noxville posted:

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer in this, for the couple of hours I've played it. Is it just that I've never played any kind of Hoarde Mode before or is it actually good?

I think it's pretty drat good. I never cared for Halo's or Gears of War's horde modes, but I like this one a lot. I think it's the powers mixed with tiered unlockables along with the sturdy gunplay. I've really been cutting back on it so I don't burn out on it early.

\/\/ Krogan soldiers seem to be like unicorns. Or snipes.

Blue Raider fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 13, 2012

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I bought 8 Spectre Packs trying to get a krogan soldier or drell vanguard. I got 0 characters from those. I then bought the mid-tier pack because why not, I might get lucky right? I got a loving salarian engineer. :ughh:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I bought 8 Spectre Packs trying to get a krogan soldier or drell vanguard. I got 0 characters from those. I then bought the mid-tier pack because why not, I might get lucky right? I got a loving salarian engineer. :ughh:

The multiplayer packs never give you what you want.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Anonononomous posted:

And why does God need a space ship? And why was Joker even making a jump at the end?

God needs a spaceship because this is a scifi game with spaceships, Joker was making a jump because Bioware wanted them to crash land on a mysterious planet with no hope of rescue.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

randombattle posted:

The Jacob thing is funny because in ME2 people wait 2 drat years even after Shepard loving DIES. In ME3 Shepard is just land locked on Earth and god drat man you could have gone to see Shep! She wouldn't even be dead!

It was pretty drat good and I agree with him! Unlimited weapons were way cooler!

I think they should have made it so if you run out of heatsinks it switches to a less optimal unlimited with overheating ammo mode.

As I understand it, they had that system initially in ME2, but it didn't playtest well—people got confused—so they just made it regular ammo.

Hyosho
May 9, 2006
If it's anything like the system that prothean rifle uses then it would have been annoying as gently caress.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Count Choculitis posted:

Well, if you don't romance either of them, Tali and Garrus wind up together (near endgame+character spoilers). Possibly my favorite character moment in the game. :3:

Holy poo poo that's hilarious. When Garrus starts whispering I completely cracked up.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Hyosho posted:

If it's anything like the system that prothean rifle uses then it would have been annoying as gently caress.

That was how I remember it working in 1, its not that bad. I tend to use that rifle a lot, and if you give it to your squad mates they murder everything :)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Question about a scene's alternate-outcome:So in the final boss fight with Kai-Leng, after I defeated him and he snuck up behind me with his sword raised, I renegade-option karate chopped his sword in half and stabbed him with my arm-sword. But what would have happened if I hadn't? Does a squadmate shoot him or something?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Got the Paladin from a Spectre pack. :neckbeard:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Having finished the Tuchunka portion, the politician in me got to thinking. This is dependent on choices made in the series, as with most things, but working within the confines of my decisions, I think I came up with an ironic in universe counter if the Krogan decide to get uppity after the war. I spared the Rachni queen in ME1, so I freed her in 3. Knowing that the survival of the Rachni species is dependent on the actions of the player character, I would imagine that they would be predisposed toward helping humanity, and ergo, the rest of the Citadel races. A repeat of the Rachni wars, but reversed. And to be honest, I think singing space ants would be less volatile than a race of fast breeding bloodthirsty gladiators.

(Obvious edit: I decided to cure the genophage as well)

Quick, somebody write this fanfiction while the idea is still fresh.

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 13, 2012

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Aurubin posted:

Having finished the Tuchunka portion, the politician in me got to thinking. This is dependent on choices made in the series, as with most things, but working within the confines of my decisions, I think I came up with an ironic in universe counter if the Krogan decide to get uppity after the war. I spared the Rachni queen in ME1, so I freed her in 3. Knowing that the survival of the Rachni species is dependent on the actions of the player character, I would imagine that they would be predisposed toward helping humanity, and ergo, the rest of the Citadel races. A repeat of the Rachni wars, but reversed. And to be honest, I think singing space ants would be less volatile than a race of fast breeding bloodthirsty gladiators.

(Obvious edit: I decided to cure the genophage as well)

Last I checked the Rachni got their poo poo kicked in by the Krogan. I'm not sure how that would change this time around, especially with a more peaceful queen in charge.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

http://arkis.deviantart.com/art/Mass-Effect-3-Alternate-Endings-SPOILERS-289902125

Anyone seen this yet? It's awesome as gently caress.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Man, playing ME2 again after experiencing the ME3 demo makes me think stasis was even more broken then. One-shotting a YMIR mech from full health on insanity with a charged geth shotgun blast :allears:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

http://arkis.deviantart.com/art/Mass-Effect-3-Alternate-Endings-SPOILERS-289902125

Yes, it's been posted in this thread. But alas, it will never come to be.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have seen this. Yes, it's also quite good and anything even remotely close would be really awesome.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

DerDestroyer posted:

Last I checked the Rachni got their poo poo kicked in by the Krogan. I'm not sure how that would change this time around, especially with a more peaceful queen in charge.

The krogan have no industrial base, no manufacturing capability, no widespread R&D. The background planet stuff around the krogan homeworld is all about how they couldn't rebuild all the poo poo the salarians gave them when they were uplifted, etc. At their peak they had the numbers so that nobody could get close to them. "Endless barbarian hordes" and all that. This situation always reminded me of the waning days of the Western Roman Empire; getting one barbarian tribe to fight one another because you were too "civilized" to want to take up arms.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

Question about a scene's alternate-outcome:So in the final boss fight with Kai-Leng, after I defeated him and he snuck up behind me with his sword raised, I renegade-option karate chopped his sword in half and stabbed him with my arm-sword. But what would have happened if I hadn't? Does a squadmate shoot him or something?

You just dodge the sword then stab him

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012
Honestly, some of the choices you make have more of an impact than I thought they would.

For instance:

If you chose to sell Legion to Cerberus in ME2 (why would you do that?) he will appear as an enemy aiding Cerberus in one of the missions against them.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there an ME2 save editor that can edit that fish thing?

Apparently you get a war asset and a passive intel bonus if you keep some jellyfish or fish or something alive in the tank the whole game?

I assume that it's just a thing like "FishAlive=True" or something but I can't seem to find anything like that in Gibbed's editor :(

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

"Do you know how hard it was to find 'a bangin' redhead'?"

Duder X posted:

Look at the Batman: Arkham series. Batman's refusal to kill anyone removes choice from the player's hands, making the decision purely character; it's not even a part of the game, really. Making it possible for beloved characters to die - even if mechanically the game is the same - makes the story much, much more compelling. My team lived because I saved them. Alliances that were seen as impossible were established because of me.

If you choose to see these games as nothing but games, and focus on the mechanics, then yeah, choices were a waste of time and stupid. If you cared about the characters, like I did, then it really means something to be able to save their lives. Or at least give them a worthy end.

Exactly this, Duder X. And more eloquently than I would have stated it, I'm sure.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
BIG SPOILERS, at the end and need help:

I'm inside the citadel with Anderson and The Illusive Man and my paragon and renegade options are greyed out for "But you already have" and "Then you have failed humanity". I had 5k EMS before starting the final mission and I think I was maxed paragon..or very close. What the gently caress? Screwed out of the best ending?

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 13, 2012

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I'm inside the citadel with Anderson and The Illusive Man and my paragon and renegade options are greyed out for "But you already have" and "Then you have failed humanity". I had 5k EMS before starting the final mission and I think I was maxed paragon..or very close. What the gently caress? Screwed out of the best ending?

I got hit with that too. There was a previous dialogue tree that needed to be explored for another Paragon option before that part of the game you're in now. It's loving bullshit.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

You're not going to miss an ending this way, just some dialogue.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I got hit with that too. There was a previous dialogue tree that needed to be explored for another Paragon option before that part of the game you're in now. It's loving bullshit.

Oh my god..you are kidding me right? Where?

General Battuta posted:

Oh ok. I figured it might be like with Saren in ME1.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Methinks in Thessia.

General Battuta posted:

And a call back from the first game with Saren...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Okay, yes, it is like Saren, exactly like that. But it's not strictly part of one of the three endings.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it makes sense from a story perspective.

Talking the Illusive Man down is a game long affair. You have to constantly keep at him throughout the game with the same line of reasoning to finally crack him. Mixing it up between Renegade and Paragon responses won't be enough to break the hold the Reapers have on him.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

I think it makes sense from a story perspective.

Talking the Illusive Man down is a game long affair. You have to constantly keep at him throughout the game with the same line of reasoning to finally crack him. Mixing it up between Renegade and Paragon responses won't be enough to break the hold the Reapers have on him.

That's the problem I have. I never mixed my responses. It was always the blue lined Paragon choices, but apparently there's some one off dialogue tree that needed to be used for ANOTHER one which is missable and screws the whole thing up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That's the problem I have. I never mixed my responses. It was always the blue lined Paragon choices, but apparently there's some one off dialogue tree that needed to be used for ANOTHER one which is missable and screws the whole thing up.

Ooh I didn't realize that. That's pretty annoying then.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

How'd that happen? I was pretty sure Cortez doesn't flag as a romance until you literally tell him that you like dick.

Well...yeah. But I thought it would be like ME2 where you could turn down the sex and romance someone else. I just wanted to lead him on.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Hahaha holy poo poo some of the dialogue in this game

I haven't finished it yet so I'm waiting for them to entirely crush my enjoyment, but some of the little banter moments are priceless. I just walked in on Cortez and Vega arguing over the Mako vs the Hammerhead.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 13, 2012

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

TheSpiritFox posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo some of the dialogue in this game

I haven't finished it yet so I'm waiting for them to entirely crush my enjoyment, but some of the little banter moments are priceless. I just walked in on Cortez and Vega arguing over the Mako vs the Hammerhead.
"You would like Grizzly Bears, Mr. Vega."
"Huh? I don't get it."

The bit about the Mako having vertically aligned mass effect generators killed me.

Beezle Bug
Jun 5, 2009

I love painting trees.
I'm not sure if anyone has asked this so I'm sorry if it's already been addressed, but when you start a new game what choices have been made? Like I have strong preferences in favor of a few events (Rachni Queen and Wrex on Virmire specifically) and while I don't really want to play ME2 through again just for a new Shepard in ME3 I'd be pretty annoyed if I got into ME3 and found out that something I'd rather have happened one way happened the other. Even if it has no real impact on gameplay I'd still rather know what I'm getting into.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Beezle Bug posted:

I'm not sure if anyone has asked this so I'm sorry if it's already been addressed, but when you start a new game what choices have been made? Like I have strong preferences in favor of a few events (Rachni Queen and Wrex on Virmire specifically) and while I don't really want to play ME2 through again just for a new Shepard in ME3 I'd be pretty annoyed if I got into ME3 and found out that something I'd rather have happened one way happened the other. Even if it has no real impact on gameplay I'd still rather know what I'm getting into.

Why don't you just use masseffect2saves.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beezle Bug
Jun 5, 2009

I love painting trees.

General Battuta posted:

Why don't you just use masseffect2saves.com

Because I'm on 360?

• Locked thread