Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

I need some quick pickup recommendations. I'm just now peeking back into the music scene after having my free time owned by grad school, so I'm more than a little behind when it comes to any hot, new pickup technology.

I play mainly shoegaze/slowcore stuff (think Codeine's "Loss Leader" or True Widow's "Skull Eyes") so I need some humbuckers that can really crush when I need them to.

I'm starting to think that maybe some basic GFS hums would work, but I'd like to know if there's anything new out there before I settle.

fake edit: These'll be going into an Agile LP 3100 or an Ibanez SG clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Anyone got tips for cleaning hardware?

Naphtha and a toothbrush. Nothing's going to get hurt by soaking it in a jar of naphtha either, sealed tuners might, but you can usually take the buttons off of them and soak them separately.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
In this case, it's just the bridge I need to clean. Thanks! Where can I pick up naphtha?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
You can get cans of it at any hardware store. It shouldn't be too expensive, $6 or something.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
Im thinking of getting a Line 6 POD Studio UX1for practising at home with headphones/messing about with amps and effects/recording very rough guitar demos.

Has anyone got one, and if so is it any good? Im torn between it and a Pod 2.0.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Sadsack posted:

Im thinking of getting a Line 6 POD Studio UX1for practising at home with headphones/messing about with amps and effects/recording very rough guitar demos.

Has anyone got one, and if so is it any good? Im torn between it and a Pod 2.0.

I have a UX1. It's really handy, the POD Farm software is a lot of fun and it will be great for the three things you listed, but I don't have any experience with the POD 2.0 so I can't advise you there.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

baka kaba posted:

This is kinda general, but you cut through by having a nice EQ niche carved out, definitely not by being louder (that's less 'cutting through' and more 'fighting with all the other instruments'). The balance between your amp volume and your pedal settings really depends on the tone you want, I'd think, and keeping a consistent level if you stomp it to go clean - and remember, distorted guitar is fairly flat and even, cleaner sounds have a stronger attack so they can sound a lot louder.

This. You can always err on the side of putting your distortion a touch higher, though you can sometimes "fool the ear" into believing your clean tone has better sustain if you don't. Pedal balance is not in any way an exact science, so you may have to rely on another set of ears.

baka kaba posted:

No PA means your volume level's set by the drummer, so you have to work around them. You're right about your EQ (don't scoop your mids, and don't fight the bassist), and depending what the guitars are actually playing you might want to emphasise the characteristics of each guitar with your EQ, so they're not fighting each other and sound distinct and play to their strengths. Use the drummer as a reference - you don't want people turning themselves up unless they're actually too low to begin with. Have you tried this stuff at practice? You won't be using the same settings but the general concept is the same

Also keep in mind that the drummer's kick is really where you want to compare volumes, unless he/she has an intense attack on it. Since it is so low-frequency, it's the most likely element to disappear into the mud. You can afford to overplay the snare and cymbals to a VERY minimal point, since their attacks tend to cut through a mix a lot better.

As far as monitors go, there's not really an easy and useful way to do monitors without a house system, unless you're interested in investing in your own monitor speakers/rack amps/mixing console.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What's the best way to going about removing adhesive residue from a fretboard? I have fine steel wool and some fretboard conditioners.

ps please never buy stupid looking inlay stickers, they are stupid, and are a pain in the rear end for people who own the guitar you put them on after you

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Try Goo Gone, it's probably your best bet, it's made out of orange peels and poo poo so it shouldn't be hard on your wood . Or I stumbled upon a secret for removing sticky residue, electronic contact cleaner. You can get it at Radio Shack and it works really well, the only trick is to spray it on and scrape fast as it evaporates really quickly.

Also since when are people putting inlay stickers on their guitars? That sounds like a terrible idea.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
My Apogee Duet (FW) is making a soft crackling sound whenever the volume jumps, like it's clipping. But when I check the waveform I don't see clipping. Plus I've got the volume way down and even a limiter in there. Any ideas as to what could be causing it?

FWIW, I don't have any experience with older versions of Apogee's drivers but their current Maestro v2 is terrible. Crashy, arbitrary UI, etc. It's a shame because the hardware is so great.

EDIT - I just checked and it makes the crackles even when I'm recording silence. So I don't think it's clipping.

Mandals fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 11, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't know, it was like they were trying to make it look like one of those lovely Chinese "SOLID WOOD GUITAR CHINA" things you can find on eBay. Like one of these, but on the fretboard and dumber: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLANET-INLAY-SOLIDWOOD-BUBINGA-THOUGH-NECK-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-748-/350544277852?pt=Guitar&hash=item519e11315c

e: it was actually these exact stickers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tree-Of-Life-w-Hummingbird-Fret-Markers-Inlay-Sticker-/150773502023?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item231acd1047

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've just inherited an unused-but-old Leslie organ amp. Since I don't have a Hammond, I intend to install a speaker jack to bypass the weird 11-pin Leslie connector and internal amplifier. I also need to install a pot to control the speaker speed.

What type of pot do I need to do this?

edit: Also, how do I test my new speaker connection besides hooking up my amp? I don't want to damage it if for some reason it's not actually connected properly.

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 12, 2012

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
Does anyone know of a site where i can download, like, background music? Is that the word i want?

Like an mp3 of just the barebones of the song, and i can then play the part i want to play myself, then later check if I'm keeping in time with the track.

God, i need to learn some music terminology bad...

I'm not asking for filez. I don't want entire songs, just the, god, what's the word. Am i making any sense at all?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Check Youtube for backing tracks.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This site is pretty great actually:
http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/rock-tabs-t5
and if you download something like PowerTab (Guitar Pro too but that's $$$) you can find tabs for that too so you can play along.

Otherwise you can find a lot by searching youtube for '*band/song name* track' or 'isolated' and so on, there are a bunch of studio tracks out there and stuff people have ripped from Rock Band that'll give you a good backing track to play over. Depends what you're looking for really

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I cannot at all come up with a good name for my new band. I have no good ideas. Please help. Space Rock/Shoegaze

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Church of the Vortex (taken from some newage tourist trap I saw in Arizona)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We're in Reno, though, which is full of metal bands and not much else, so we can't have anything that sounds remotely like a metal band. Otherwise we'd just call ourselves Crushing Death Machine and laugh at the confused looks when we did a Slowdive cover.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

rt4 posted:

I've just inherited an unused-but-old Leslie organ amp. Since I don't have a Hammond, I intend to install a speaker jack to bypass the weird 11-pin Leslie connector and internal amplifier. I also need to install a pot to control the speaker speed.

What type of pot do I need to do this?

edit: Also, how do I test my new speaker connection besides hooking up my amp? I don't want to damage it if for some reason it's not actually connected properly.
I wouldn't bypass the amp inside the Leslie, that's half of the tone right there!

Anyway, those eleven pins control the speed of the horn and sub to fast/slow/off so you'll need to wire up something that runs those. You'll have to look up the pinout for an eleven pin system but If memory serves me correctly pins 7 and 8 are the ones that control the motor speed. 7 + Ground = Fast. 8 + Ground = Slow. If those are disconnected the motors don't spin. I know there are ways to do a variable motor speed that people have plans for online but I've never messed with them.

I forget which pin is going to be your main input without looking it up but I know Leslie's with that many pins had multiple channels of input on the first few pins.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I cannot at all come up with a good name for my new band. I have no good ideas. Please help. Space Rock/Shoegaze

Spock Race

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
Does anyone have recommendations for earplugs to wear to a concert? I would just buy some cheapo foam ones like these but I'm worried that they'll have a weird frequency response.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

bee burger posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for earplugs to wear to a concert? I would just buy some cheapo foam ones like these but I'm worried that they'll have a weird frequency response.

Stay away from Hearos if you want decent reproduction. Try something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Vater-Percussion-Musicians-Ear-Plugs/dp/B002RWKR7K/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1331597465&sr=1-1-catcorr

I wore them to an In Flames/Trivium concert and they're great. There's more rolloff in the bass than in the highs, but that's hard to avoid with earplugs. I didn't think they changed the feel of the music, even if there was a minor curve to the response.

Alternately, if you go to a lot of shows or play in a loud band or just frequently expose yourself to high sound pressure levels, you could do what I'm doing. My audiologist took castings of my ear canals and I'm getting custom-fitted earplugs with variable filters, so I can cut anywhere from 5-50 dB. It's over a $100 proposition, but infinitely worth it if rock shows are a consistent part of your life.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 13, 2012

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah foam ones are basically there to block out sound, like if you're trying to sleep. They make everything quieter in the same way that sticking your finger in your ear does. I had some cheap ones like the moulded kind, that narrows the canal, and the difference was night and day. They weren't perfect, but everything sounded about the same, just quieter

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Stay away from Hearos if you want decent reproduction. Try something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Vater-Percussion-Musicians-Ear-Plugs/dp/B002RWKR7K/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1331597465&sr=1-1-catcorr

I wore them to an In Flames/Trivium concert and they're great. There's more rolloff in the bass than in the highs, but that's hard to avoid with earplugs. I didn't think they changed the feel of the music, even if there was a minor curve to the response.

Yeah, these are excellent for me as a drummer as they cut off the overpowering noise but leave the overall sounds relatively unaffected. My dumbshit friend losing one ear of those was a day of inordinate sadness as my local music shop had sold out and Amazon didn't have any good replacements back then (it was ages ago).

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hearos make a set of high-fidelity plugs as well, these things are my best friends when it comes to taming large sounds, although I will definitely upgrade to a set of custom-moulds when I am next in a city that offers the service.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hogscraper posted:

I wouldn't bypass the amp inside the Leslie, that's half of the tone right there!

Thanks for the info. I found a pinout chart, so now I should be able to try whatever without hurting it. It's one of the solid state models and I really like my current amp (Vox Night Train), but I'll probably give it a try anyway. It's a bit weird. I read that it's supposed to have a volume pot on the back and there's no place for one, and there's no volume control in the pinouts either. I also read that it requires an external preamp, which is a hassle.

Now that I know what to do, I'm hoping it'll go really quick.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Orange Tang (Yes, that's an Eva reference and a space reference)
Keyhole (KH-1) (as in the spy satellites)
Iridium (As in the asteroid that hit the earth and also the satphone network)
Space Dragon (SpaceX, Dragon Capsule)
Eagle. Orion. Apollo Rising.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Orange Tang (Yes, that's an Eva reference and a space reference)
Keyhole (KH-1) (as in the spy satellites)
Iridium (As in the asteroid that hit the earth and also the satphone network)
Space Dragon (SpaceX, Dragon Capsule)
Eagle. Orion. Apollo Rising.

You are on to something here. Thank you.

SearchForDelicious
May 29, 2008
Does anyone know of a really cheap, simple midi foot controller that works with the Roland SP 404? I've been checking out the Beringer FCB1010, it's not that expensive but I have no need for the expression pedals. I'm also not 100% sure if it would be compatible. Basically just looking for something that will do exactly what the pad buttons on the sampler do but on a foot switch, nothing more nothing less.

lifeloveregret
Nov 29, 2005

start spreading the news
Wanted to throw a new pickup in my Telecaster (Korean Lite Ash) so I picked up a Little 59 for the bridge. I've done minor repairs and soldering, so I figured I'd do it myself. The pup came with a diagram and everything, cool. I wire everything accordingly but no dice. No sound coming from either of the pickups now. Maybe a longshot, but just wanted to see if I've done something wrong before I take it in and pay for it to be installed.

This is the diagram that came with the Lil 59. (Note, it said to reverse the black and green wires in order to work with the Fender neck pickup)

I'm sure its a jumbled mess, but I appreciate any ideas.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

lifeloveregret posted:

Are the connections to the jack still good?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I've finally begun dedicating myself to practicing poo poo until I can play it instead of just trying to fake it and I need some advice for finger placement since I don't think I use my pinky enough.

See this lick:

I've put my fingering below. As you can see I never use my pinky.

What fingering what you recommend?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
43141 for the first few fingerings. Everything after that is basically what I'd do.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

lifeloveregret posted:

Wanted to throw a new pickup in my Telecaster (Korean Lite Ash) so I picked up a Little 59 for the bridge. I've done minor repairs and soldering, so I figured I'd do it myself. The pup came with a diagram and everything, cool. I wire everything accordingly but no dice. No sound coming from either of the pickups now. Maybe a longshot, but just wanted to see if I've done something wrong before I take it in and pay for it to be installed.

This is the diagram that came with the Lil 59. (Note, it said to reverse the black and green wires in order to work with the Fender neck pickup)

Try not reversing the black and green, sounds like you've got everything grounded together

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

43141 for the first few fingerings. Everything after that is basically what I'd do.

I like tapping the first note, but I'll try practicing this fingering too. Thanks.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009

What's the best way to going about removing adhesive residue from a fretboard? I have fine steel wool and some fretboard conditioners.

ps please never buy stupid looking inlay stickers, they are stupid, and are a pain in the rear end for people who own the guitar you put them on after you

WD-40 is funkalicious for this task

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I got the residue out with various fretboard conditioners, a toothbrush, an old rag, and some judicious scrubbing.
You know how peoples' shadows got burned into walls when Japan got nuked? Morbid, yes, but it's the best way to describe what I've got left behind now. The only thing that'll help me at this point is playing the guitar a fuckton and getting the silhouettes of the stickers dirty as hell.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

flacoman954 posted:

WD-40 is funkalicious for this task

Not necessarily true. WD-40 displaces water, so when you spray it on a fretboard, it's more likely to drive that moisture into the wood, where it won't necessarily play nicely. Plus it can leave a residue that'll build up over time.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

I got the residue out with various fretboard conditioners, a toothbrush, an old rag, and some judicious scrubbing.
You know how peoples' shadows got burned into walls when Japan got nuked? Morbid, yes, but it's the best way to describe what I've got left behind now. The only thing that'll help me at this point is playing the guitar a fuckton and getting the silhouettes of the stickers dirty as hell.

I worked at a guitar store in college and we kept a couple cheap guitars in the window. One day we had to change the price tags on them and when I took the old ones off we noticed that the sun had bleached the fret boards everywhere except where the price tags had been. Suffice it to say those were written off. Not exactly the same as what you described but still funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
My sister in-law is getting married in October and I was asked to DJ the reception among other responsibilities. Is there a free program that can manage a playlist and crossfades between songs? If it matters all this will be running off of my mac book pro through the headphone jack straight into a PA.