Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

JT Jag posted:

I get the strong feeling that were he not stuck in a dream bubble, the first thing God Tier Eridan would do is find a less embarrassing, purpler change of clothes

Nah, you can change your clothes pretty easily in a dream bubble.

Also, isn't Light tied to fate? Or at least fortune, which is pretty closely related.

Cleretic posted:

It's probably good that either bacteria can't live on the station, or that carapace people don't decay, though. WV's been dead for a year, surely he'd have started to smell otherwise.

I think that's a memory, not what's literally happening as Karkat types. Especially since Karkat is there and he's not typing (but it could be a different Karkat! But it probably isn't).

Pessimism fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I really appreciate how the question of what Life is comes up in that moment we're reacquainted with the witch of the same.

Each of the player superlatives is supposed to come with mystery and nuance, but sometimes their direct application as a power makes them seem a little too familiar and trite.

My takeaway from the framing, here, is a subtle reminder that the platonic ideal of Life is not merely in health on moribundity.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

Man, that question about who is the real self and what not really has been rankling at me for some time.

Really, I'm getting some persona 4 vibes reading all this.

Poor Karkat though, the guy really has a hard time coming to grips with all this. He seems pretty lonely as well, or maybe he's so drat tired of yelling at no one who'll listen to him.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cleretic posted:

He probably thinks those pants are sweet as.

It's probably good that either bacteria can't live on the station, or that carapace people don't decay, though. WV's been dead for a year, surely he'd have started to smell otherwise.

Well, unless this is a flashback from Karkat's perspective and this happened minutes after Aradia and Sollux hurled the asteroid.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rose and Kanaya are up there with Karkat too, so yeah I'm assuming this took place shortly after they took off.

E: vvv Pretty much.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 13, 2012

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
So the log and the comic aren't at the same points in time?

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

RedMagus posted:

Poor Karkat though, the guy really has a hard time coming to grips with all this. He seems pretty lonely as well, or maybe he's so drat tired of yelling at no one who'll listen to him.

What could be worse for a guy who hates himself than to not only be contacted by past and future versions of himself, but also who knows how many dead selves from other timelines?

Oh man, I really hope there is a multi-karkat page coming up at some point. Like a memo party, but better.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

RedMagus posted:

Calling it now, after the three years have passed the first time we see Karkat he'll have calmed down and won't be yelling or typing in all caps anymore. (Maaaybe he'll switch his text color to red for good, too)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Wrist Watch posted:

Calling it now, after the three years have passed the first time we see Karkat he'll have calmed down and won't be yelling or typing in all caps anymore. (Maaaybe he'll switch his text color to red for good, too)
The calmed down and switched his text color to red I can definitely see. In fact by the end of the third year I could see him starting to wear a red symbol on his shirt. The all-caps typing I think he'll still do.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

RedMagus posted:

He was basically freaking out nonstop for weeks from the start of the game to the Green Sun meetup. Quite possibly he's at least outwardly calmed down somewhat, if only because everyone - most importantly (to him) Terezi - stopped putting up with him. I get the impression he feels like he's the only one who's having trouble with all this.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Pessimism posted:

What could be worse for a guy who hates himself than to not only be contacted by past and future versions of himself, but also who knows how many dead selves from other timelines?

Oh man, I really hope there is a multi-karkat page coming up at some point. Like a memo party, but better.

One of the Karkats will wonder if things will get any less boring one or two years from now, and Year 2 Karkat and Almost There Karkat will barge in simultaneously and go "NOT REALLY."

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Karkat is a complete mess without Egbert around to act as his foil.

John, worst friend.

:(

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Wrist Watch posted:

Agreeing with this, was my impression as well.

Also, once again Karkat belies his supposedly loud and angry nature to reveal himself as one of the most thoughtful characters, most prone to introspection and the weighing of consequences. Regardless of what happened he's a good leader for that. Almost nobody else in the comic ever seems to stop and stare at what happens and really feel the impact of it. Karkat cries where appropriate.

Interesting to imagine there were doomed timelines where Eridan and Feferi overcame their troubles and went God-tier, even if it still didn't work out (they died). Kind of sad really that Eridan only became the huge rear end in a top hat that he is/was due to fate deeming that to be the Alpha timeline - it'd do a lot for Alpha Eridan's sympathy if we were to hear him bemoaning the fact that the only way he could be a better person was by dooming the timeline.

I guess one of the things Karkat's bringing up right now is whether there can really be said to be an Alpha Anyone. I mean, Alpha Eridan's dead, meaning he's floating around in the dream bubble soup with every other dead Eridan, including this one. Is there any difference any more between them, in terms of rank? Is one more Eridan than the other? Can we talk any more about Tavros or Nepeta or whoever 'coming back to life', now that they're really just one ghost among many? I'd rather hoped all the betas who died in beta timelines wouldn't be in the afterlfie too, if only because it's got to be so crowded at this point.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dolash posted:

Interesting to imagine there were doomed timelines where Eridan and Feferi overcame their troubles and went God-tier, even if it still didn't work out (they died). Kind of sad really that Eridan only became the huge rear end in a top hat that he is/was due to fate deeming that to be the Alpha timeline - it'd do a lot for Alpha Eridan's sympathy if we were to hear him bemoaning the fact that the only way he could be a better person was by dooming the timeline.

Going God Tier doesn't mean you've overcome your troubles. Look at Vriska. In fact, she went God Tier precisely because she was a huge 8itch and Aradia beat the piss out of her because of it.

What is a little worrying is all these alternate timeline God Tiers we're seeing (and that dead Karkat we saw was one of them) are all dead. It's pretty hard to kill them usually, and even if you do manage it the death has to be heroic or just.

So, anyone else think all this is going to spin off a shitload of terrible fan fiction?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Slime posted:

So, anyone else think all this is going to spin off a shitload of terrible fan fiction?

How can it spin off when it is already here?

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Dolash posted:

Bullshit, Eridan was a douche from page one and getting all murder happy was completely in character for him. I really can't see him doing some tragic soliloquy about how he must sacrifice his personal goodness to save the timeline or whatever.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It was in character for him, but that's only because his character was "utter slave to the horrible, murderous sociopath society he was created in". While some sort of deft and poetic monologue about the subject would be silly-- because, really, the story isn't even remotely about him-- some off the cuff remark about him having realized that after dying but he's 0k about it wouldn't be.

Eridan was/is a tool in about pretty much every sense of the word. He was a tool of his society, he was a tool of English, he was a barely controlled tool of destruction, and he was a tool of a person.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 13, 2012

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Slime posted:

What is a little worrying is all these alternate timeline God Tiers we're seeing (and that dead Karkat we saw was one of them) are all dead. It's pretty hard to kill them usually, and even if you do manage it the death has to be heroic or just.

I suspect a lot of beta timelines still had Jacks in them. Since it was implied that Vriska being able to stand up to Jack was somewhat special circumstances, and our heroes are intent on regrouping before risking facing him, I can imagine in a lot of beta timelines he was still more than capable of handing out some heroic or just deaths. Similarly, a god tier Eridan or Gamzee could certainly contribute to other dead God Tiers.

And/or, perhaps being in a beta timeline eventually dooms you to a death, perhaps one that disregards God Tier entirely. Like beta timelines eventually get eaten wholesale by Langoliers or something. (Or maybe that counts as heroic because beta timelines need to happen and then die off so the alpha time line can keep going.)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Midnight Raider posted:

(Or maybe that counts as heroic because beta timelines need to happen and then die off so the alpha time line can keep going.)

That would make an awful lot of sense, considering a dead beta timeline Feferi just came and healed WV. You die a heroic death even though the action that makes it heroic is in the future, and doing the act in the first place needs you to die first.

Come oooooooon beta Vriska.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, when Alternate Future Dave went back in time to become Davesprite, the whole timeline he abandoned seem to more or less fade out of existence. At the same time, John from that timeline still showed up in the dreambubbles. Does the same thing hold true for every splintered timeline an Aradiabot returned from? While that's neither Heroic nor Just, that's probably not the sort of thing you can really get better from.

And there were a shitton of Aradiabots.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Beta timelines are doomed. Everything that returns from a beta timeline is doomed. The Dave that turned into Davesprite was doomed when he returned - he was basically already dead, but still walking around, which makes it appropriate to make a sprite out of him.

Karkat is narrating a flashback of the last year.

From this update we have learned that if something passes physically through a dreambubble, the contents of that bubble can act directly on that matter, and its effects will persist. This is important.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Amidst all the terrible depressing fatalist stuff, we can rejoice in the fact that WV is going to be okay! Now he can become the Mayor of Meteor Town.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Olivia42 posted:

Now he can become the Mayor of Meteor Town.

It's a good thing Karkat doesn't want to be Leader anymore, because WV is going to do a really great job of getting everyone working together, I can just tell!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

You know what who we might see? Doomed God Tier Tavros. And he might even be flying. :3:

Who am I kidding Tavros will never know true happiness :smith:

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Olivia42 posted:

Amidst all the terrible depressing fatalist stuff, we can rejoice in the fact that WV is going to be okay! Now he can become the Mayor of Meteor Town.

My greatest hope is that WV will now interact with Karkat in a callback to his interactions with John, perhaps involving a literal cat-car.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Something I saw pointed out elsewhere: apparently all of Karkat's posters are for movies about a guy losing his girl to someone else.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

haruspex posted:

My greatest hope is that WV will now interact with Karkat in a callback to his interactions with John, perhaps involving a literal cat-car.

DO THE BLOODY THING

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, I could see Dave changing the most from this journey. Almost 100% of his coolkid facade is due to living with his bro. Removed from that environment, forced to step out of Bro's shadow, and art-jamming with Terezi for three years, I could see him opening up a bit.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bobulus posted:

You know, I could see Dave changing the most from this journey. Almost 100% of his coolkid facade is due to living with his bro. Removed from that environment, forced to step out of Bro's shadow, and art-jamming with Terezi for three years, I could see him opening up a bit.

Only to snap back hard once he meets up with Dirk, of course.

Everybody on this meteor has issues, except for WV, which is why he is the natural choice to be the leader.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bongo Bill posted:

Everybody on this meteor has issues, except for WV, which is why he is the natural choice to be the leader.
Karkat already officially designated him the Mayor of the Fruity Rumpus rear end in a top hat Factory. This poo poo old news.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

To be fair, even WV has the whole guilt over leading an army that got brutally killed thing.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Wrist Watch posted:

I think the big character development reveal for Karkat will be us seeing him smile. Of course, that's not gonna happen until the very last pages of Act 7.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

YggiDee posted:

Something I saw pointed out elsewhere: apparently all of Karkat's posters are for movies about a guy losing his girl to someone else.

Nooooo, nooooo *shatters a display case full of my ships*

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

YggiDee posted:

The afterlife will be good to Equius.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Strongylocentrotus posted:

The afterlife will be good to Equius.

So much sweat circulating in the atmosphere it actually starts raining Equius.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

snucks posted:

I think the big character development reveal for Karkat will be us seeing him smile. Of course, that's not gonna happen until the very last pages of Act 7.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005994

:colbert:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

YggiDee posted:

Well, when Alternate Future Dave went back in time to become Davesprite, the whole timeline he abandoned seem to more or less fade out of existence. At the same time, John from that timeline still showed up in the dreambubbles. Does the same thing hold true for every splintered timeline an Aradiabot returned from? While that's neither Heroic nor Just, that's probably not the sort of thing you can really get better from.

I think the way that works is that a Beta timeline only exists as a Beta when it can (and will) still effect the Alpha timeline. With the Time player gone, the beta timeline is completely ancillary to the Alpha. Before I always thought maybe the Beta timelines just then became, I dunno, Gamma Timelines, that have no repercussions on the Alpha timeline's events. But considering that the Beta timelines only exist as a paradox, since the Alpha has to happen to ensure stable timeloops are completed, then maybe they simply implode in on themselves and die off? Certainly would explain all the god tiers hanging around.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Even his teeth are little nubs.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So on a whim I decided to start reading the older threads just to pass the time (Was there one before this, by the way?) and by page two some of the posts are hilarious in retrospect:

yrF posted:

Andrew mentioned that HS will last a year as well. 4 months up, so the intro is done, now we move onto the middle section, and 4 months from now I suspect there will be a radical game changer to bring it all around to a climax.

Sockser posted:

I bet Dave's brother is like, a fat goony neckbeard wearing an anime-print button-up shirt over a wolf shirt or something absolutely awful like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Bongo Bill posted:

Meeting up with Dirk is going to do a goddamn number on Dave's psyche. It's his bro, but he's only 16 years old, and still more cool and ironic than Dave could ever hope to be. Ouch.