Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

oh yeah, I'm sure it was more him specifically than all guys. It's just a lot of the conversational tools I use are more geared towards women and I'm much more capable of making a girl comfortable at this point.

Oh well, I guess it's a good learning experience. I'm shooting a handsome male friend soon which should go well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
When I shoot guys, I don't like to do the sexy male model thing. I've always had them show up in suits and totally dapper outfits and go for a more retro sort of classy feel.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

McMadCow posted:

When I shoot guys, I don't like to do the sexy male model thing. I've always had them show up in suits and totally dapper outfits and go for a more retro sort of classy feel.

I've find that guys from agencies can often pull off the "sexy male model" thing.. normal guys are really bad at it. I also usually just use a retro/classy feel with model being relaxed and just get a eye connection or something in that genre.

I find male posing to be more simple than female posing (I like posing girls more tho.. irony)

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

IMG_0427 by avoyer, on Flickr

Indoor shoot today :) Gotta love windows and reflectors!

Now off for a shoot outdoor!

Edit: Well since no one commented after me... here are some from the outdoor shoot :)

IMG_0895 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0869 by avoyer, on Flickr

xenilk fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 11, 2012

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I spy some Sue Bryce coming through? :)

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

xenilk posted:

IMG_0869 by avoyer, on Flickr

This is nice - I would suggest maybe pulling some of the red out of her knuckles, because it makes her hands look cold.

As an absolute nitpick, I wonder about the nail on her left thumb poking through her jumper. I initially thought it was a clothes label. That's a real tiny nitpick, though. Otherwise it's nice :) I think that warming of the hands would help with the light, sunny feel, though.

I took a step back, actually bothered to think about and plan my shoot, and took a fresh run up at the chiaroscuro thing. I tackled it totally the wrong way the first time - not sure what I was thinking.

Anyway, here's my latest pop at it:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, bouncing a flash, didn't look where I was standing, reflected off light fixture. Bad shot. Some harsh editing later, I actually like this in a sick, fauxtographer way.

Harsh J by torgeaux, on Flickr

the hodag
Jan 15, 2007

Rawrzadoodle
Dragged the boyfriend out for a few shots.

IMG_0754 by calydoran, on Flickr

IMG_0764 by calydoran, on Flickr

IMG_0770 by calydoran, on Flickr

edit: changed hosting to flickr

the hodag fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 12, 2012

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

^^^^ I think the concept and colors are good but I'm not a big fan of hand in pockets (for guys and girls) since I feel like, while most people think it shows confidence while they are posing doing it, it often end up looking "stuck" and kind of looks bad since you don't see the hands at all.

I'd like to see something like a mix of the 2nd and 3rd picture (not a big fan of weird angles on the first one) but with one arm just relaxed and the other hand maybe just with the thumb slightly touching the pocket. So yeah drag him out outside some more :) I also find that sitting for guys for full body portrait is usually easier.

Here are some of mine with Alex-sandrine.

IMG_0429 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0442 by avoyer, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I feel like this could have used some back tilt to fix the perspective.

Amy by RHITMrB, on Flickr

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

xenilk posted:

IMG_0429 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0442 by avoyer, on Flickr

I prefer the second - good focus on the eyes there. I like the way they pop, even in black and white. Kinda bummed you can't see more of her dimple on her right side as you can in the first one, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

Did this yesterday:

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

sw1gger posted:

I prefer the second - good focus on the eyes there. I like the way they pop, even in black and white. Kinda bummed you can't see more of her dimple on her right side as you can in the first one, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

Did this yesterday:

Killer! I like how the angle of her foot matches the banister, and you left space between them. I like the airy feel, and the decision to put the light at the top of the stairs.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

sw1gger posted:

Did this yesterday:

Spectacular. I usually hate this sort of radical color treatment, but this really works. I love the delicateness of her pose. Do you have a gallery or flickr or somesuch?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

sw1gger posted:

Did this yesterday:

Thank you for the nice words :) I love that drat floating effect, well done. The overall vibe is awesome.

IMG_0473 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0476 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0529 by avoyer, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I'm at a shoot and the client wants the model to lay on top of him, simulating that it's the morning after a night of sex. I'm sorry, 18 year old naive model, I'm really really sorry. Bonus points because she's way out of his "league."

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

thetzar posted:

Spectacular. I usually hate this sort of radical color treatment, but this really works. I love the delicateness of her pose. Do you have a gallery or flickr or somesuch?

I do - I was sort of late to the game for Flickr, but I have an account with 500px - http://www.500px.com/stevenkowalski

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

RangerScum posted:

I'm at a shoot and the client wants the model to lay on top of him, simulating that it's the morning after a night of sex. I'm sorry, 18 year old naive model, I'm really really sorry. Bonus points because she's way out of his "league."

Omg what is the shoot for?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

xenilk posted:

Omg what is the shoot for?

They were promo photos for a music label- the guy requesting it is one of the guys in charge of their marketing (it's a startup label so it isn't too big yet). Luckily I was able to talk him out of it and just had him lay off to the side. Afterwards the model asked for a ride home and while driving I brought the situation up and luckily she wasn't just going to go with it, and was also very "wtf" about the request. What a creep.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

RangerScum posted:

They were promo photos for a music label- the guy requesting it is one of the guys in charge of their marketing (it's a startup label so it isn't too big yet). Luckily I was able to talk him out of it and just had him lay off to the side. Afterwards the model asked for a ride home and while driving I brought the situation up and luckily she wasn't just going to go with it, and was also very "wtf" about the request. What a creep.

You did great, I would have done the same. I hate when the client goes overboard with something like that. It's even more creepy when the photographer goes on board with the idea. Some people I tell you.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
These were test shots / outtakes, but I thought it was funny that I shot something that, under a certain context, is pretty sad looking.

Quickly edited for a more photojournalist look:

Context by Myotomy, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xenilk posted:

You did great, I would have done the same. I hate when the client goes overboard with something like that. It's even more creepy when the photographer goes on board with the idea. Some people I tell you.

As an assistant there are definitely times I've had to subtly be the voice of reason and back down an art director and photographer that seem hell bent on really testing how good their liability insurance is.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I don't know where else to put this one. This feels like the best fit.

This is the start of a project that I've been sitting on for a couple of months now, and finally got a chance to shoot. My friend is the model, and she is awesome, I love her expression and stance in this picture. I wanted to go for a storybook type look, so not so photorealistic (is that a word??), but more on the illustrated side while trying to keep it not super over processed and gross looking. I feel a bit like a baby deer walking on new legs here, but I'm excited to keep going with it.

Scarlet Fever by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 14, 2012

red19fire
May 26, 2010

RangerScum posted:

I would have bet it was a music guy, or some kind of self-described 'CEO' of a small company. They always want to be photographed like it's a 2002 rap video, but nobody else does.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

This is the start of a project that I've been sitting on for a couple of months now, and finally got a chance to shoot. My friend is the model, and she is awesome, I love her expression and stance in this picture. I wanted to go for a storybook type look, so not so photorealistic (is that a word??), but more on the illustrated side while trying to keep it not super over processed and gross looking. I feel a bit like a baby deer walking on new legs here, but I'm excited to keep going with it.

Very different coming from you! I like it :) The only thing I'd say is that somehow the broken part of the tree slightly overpowers the picture (maybe too bright?) but otherwise it's pretty neat :)

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

RangerScum posted:

These were test shots / outtakes, but I thought it was funny that I shot something that, under a certain context, is pretty sad looking.

I saw the rest of this set. I think you pulled off the look well but if you're going for "the morning after" thing then the beer cans are too neatly stacked! :)

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Finalized the set I did with Alex-Sandrine :)

IMG_0611 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0628 by avoyer, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I keep thinking that she's the girl from The Descendants.

She's not, is she?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

xenilk posted:

Finalized the set I did with Alex-Sandrine :)

IMG_0611 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0628 by avoyer, on Flickr

I've been liking your post processing work lately. However, I want to say that you have too many different styles for one set (I looked through the flickr set. BW shots are nicely edited). I prefer the second photo's tones, can you apply those tones to the other images in the set?

CarrotFlowers posted:

While I like the processing, I think it's on the edge of being a bit too much - what sets me off is her skin tones, they don't seem too smooth (because of the contrast of the rest of the scene perhaps?). Maybe mask out her face and hand only and apply less processing on those parts.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 15, 2012

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Santa is strapped posted:

I've been liking your post processing work lately. However, I want to say that you have too many different styles for one set (I looked through the flickr set. BW shots are nicely edited). I prefer the second photo's tones, can you apply those tones to the other images in the set?

That's a great catch! I was all over the place with my editing. I'll go over and re-post them using the second processing. I think that's something I'm doing without noticing and I agree it's distracting.

William T. Hornaday posted:

I keep thinking that she's the girl from The Descendants.

She's not, is she?

She does look like Shailene Woodley! Good eye, but it's not her :) Just as pretty tho and she has an awesome sense of humour.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

While I like the processing, I think it's on the edge of being a bit too much - what sets me off is her skin tones, they don't seem too smooth (because of the contrast of the rest of the scene perhaps?). Maybe mask out her face and hand only and apply less processing on those parts.

What part specifically of her skin doesn't look smooth? I did have her skin masked off for most of the processing, but I still wanted her to look like she wasn't composited in, so I did some curves and dodging/burning to her as well, just took out the texture and the super harsh curves. Is it that shadow on her cheek? I can see that part maybe, but I don't understand what looks off about her hand? There is also a weird bone or something coming out of her neck. I want to keep it fairly contrasty, because the whole scene is supposed to look dark, but I don't want it to look blotchy or something either.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

CarrotFlowers posted:

What part specifically of her skin doesn't look smooth? I did have her skin masked off for most of the processing, but I still wanted her to look like she wasn't composited in, so I did some curves and dodging/burning to her as well, just took out the texture and the super harsh curves. Is it that shadow on her cheek? I can see that part maybe, but I don't understand what looks off about her hand? There is also a weird bone or something coming out of her neck. I want to keep it fairly contrasty, because the whole scene is supposed to look dark, but I don't want it to look blotchy or something either.

Ah, I see what you mean (I clicked to see the original size). I guess "doesn't look smooth" wasn't the right way of saying "contrast" :S Now that I see the 100% image I can tell the skin is in fact not 'not smooth'. Her hand looks purple however on closer inspection, I'm assuming it was cold out so there is not much you can do there without it looking off.
It looked weird when I saw the image you posted at that size, but the 100% clears it up.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Ah, I see what you mean (I clicked to see the original size). I guess "doesn't look smooth" wasn't the right way of saying "contrast" :S Now that I see the 100% image I can tell the skin is in fact not 'not smooth'. Her hand looks purple however on closer inspection, I'm assuming it was cold out so there is not much you can do there without it looking off.
It looked weird when I saw the image you posted at that size, but the 100% clears it up.

Ah yeah, thanks for the clarification :) I will probably still clean up her neck and the shadow on her cheek now as those are bothering me, so thanks for pointing it out! Also yeah it was pretty cold out there, but if it looks cold, it's not the end of the world as it fits with the feel I was going for. I can't believe what a trooper she was, she was just in the thin dress under the jacket for most of the shoot and even though we brought a blanket for her to wrap up in between shots, I'm sure she was still frozen. She didn't complain one time the whole time we were out there, and I only realised how cold she was when we got in the car and she asked me to turn the heat on full blast for like 10 minutes.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

sw1gger posted:

Did this yesterday:

How did you achieve the floating? The only thing I can think of is a crash-mat underneath her but in such a confined space that seems risky.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

XTimmy posted:

How did you achieve the floating? The only thing I can think of is a crash-mat underneath her but in such a confined space that seems risky.

I believe it's done with 2 pictures.

One without the model.
One with the model sitting on a stool "falling".

Tricky part is having consistent light + faking the falling with what she's wearing and her hair.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Yup, that's what I'd assume.
(also, you can see a few spots where the lines in the bricks don't *exactly* line up)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

CarrotFlowers posted:

Ah yeah, thanks for the clarification :) I will probably still clean up her neck and the shadow on her cheek now as those are bothering me, so thanks for pointing it out! Also yeah it was pretty cold out there, but if it looks cold, it's not the end of the world as it fits with the feel I was going for. I can't believe what a trooper she was, she was just in the thin dress under the jacket for most of the shoot and even though we brought a blanket for her to wrap up in between shots, I'm sure she was still frozen. She didn't complain one time the whole time we were out there, and I only realised how cold she was when we got in the car and she asked me to turn the heat on full blast for like 10 minutes.

Ha, wow she is pretty dedicated then! I like the second shot (on flickr)

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Ha, wow she is pretty dedicated then! I like the second shot (on flickr)

Yeah, she's so good to work with. She's pumped about the next one already and it's so much better when your model is just as excited as you are. And thanks :) I'm working on a few more, but that's one of my favourites.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

^^^^ That's awesome that you're starting to work with new people :) Once you get it going it's like a snowball effect, believe me.

IMG_0790 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0839 by avoyer, on Flickr

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

RangerScum posted:

Both of these shots, especially the second one, are very good. They maybe test shots and outtakes, but they've got a great feel to them. The second one has a very, I don't know, great feel to it. I'm not giving a great critique here, I know, but I just love that shot.

Here's my meager attempt at a portrait. It was a candid shot.

Stell today-017-Edit.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

And this...

Stell today-003-Edit.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Wow I think I had the most difficult model. Why are pretty girls so hard on themselves... and why do they want to do boudoir if they're super self conscious, blows my mind away. lol

IMG_1182 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_1123 by avoyer, on Flickr

I'm crying inside because I think the first one is one of my best shot ever... and I am pretty sure she won't like it :(

xenilk fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 18, 2012