Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Josh Wow posted:

I get the cat piss smell from some IPAs that use both Columbus and Simcoe as aroma hops, most notably Sweetwater's IPA. It doesn't smell exactly like cat piss but it's very reminiscent of it.

Totally agree. The smell isn't like ammonia or like a cat box that hasn't been cleaned few days. It's not a harsh aroma, just really pungent. It also seems to be similar to the Summit green-onion aroma in the sense that only some people notice it, and the rest look at you funny when you describe it.

Drinking a Ninkasi Tricerahops and a DFH 90 Minute IPA side-by-side right now. Hard to say which I like more at this point. The 90 Minute might have a slight lead. They are pretty similar. Tricerahops has a bit more malt character and depth and the 90 Minute is a bit more interesting aromatically. Both are damned good beers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Samuel Adams' Facebook had a link to this story today, I thought it was interesting.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/story/2012-03-04/cnbc-sunoco-beer/53323880/1

Basically, Sunoco stations are putting Growler stations inside the gas station and rotating different craft beers.

Since in a lot of places growler stations are hard to come by, this is good news even though at the moment it is only being expanded to South Carolina.

Please let it come to Ohio. :ohdear:

Bonus: lots of "great this just means more drinking and driving!"-type comments below the story! Because as we all know, you're more likely to drink out of a giant glass jug while driving, than drinking out of the convenient and discreet 12 oz. bottles they already sell at gas stations. ugh.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Mahoning posted:

Bonus: lots of "great this just means more drinking and driving!"-type comments below the story! Because as we all know, you're more likely to drink out of a giant glass jug while driving, than drinking out of the convenient and discreet 12 oz. bottles they already sell at gas stations. ugh.

:smug: Glad I live in the Akron area where we have a growler station every 10 miles

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What are your state's laws on open containers? Can you have an already-opened beer in the passenger compartment?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

withak posted:

What are your state's laws on open containers? Can you have an already-opened beer in the passenger compartment?

I've never bought a growler that hasn't been sealed in some sort of way. I'm pretty sure there's only six or eight states that allow open containers in cars, so the vast majority of places nation-wide will seal their growlers.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons
I'm trying Boon's Amber Ale. It's really smooth and has a bit of a lemon-y flavor behind it. Pretty good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

deadwing posted:

I've never bought a growler that hasn't been sealed in some sort of way. I'm pretty sure there's only six or eight states that allow open containers in cars, so the vast majority of places nation-wide will seal their growlers.

I bet in most places you aren't allowed to let customers out the door with unsealed containers, whether they are getting a car or not.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

deadwing posted:

I'm completely shocked if there are any states that allow open containers.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout is :swoon:

It was basically a beer milkshake: Rich, smooth and creamy. drat shame the weather's going to be far too hot to drink stuff like this in just a few weeks.

Ahhhh I wish I could find this, I've been looking for it with no luck. I agree with you on the weather though, it's 65F here still and I'm not even going to consider trying my Sucaba, the weather just doesn't suit it for me.

Edit: Holy poo poo, apparently we need an advanced degree to appreciate good beer. What a cock sucker.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 13, 2012

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mahoning posted:

Samuel Adams' Facebook had a link to this story today, I thought it was interesting.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/story/2012-03-04/cnbc-sunoco-beer/53323880/1

Basically, Sunoco stations are putting Growler stations inside the gas station and rotating different craft beers.

Since in a lot of places growler stations are hard to come by, this is good news even though at the moment it is only being expanded to South Carolina.

Please let it come to Ohio. :ohdear:

They have this here in SC, and the growlers are supremely overpriced. I'm talking 20$ for Ranger or Fat Tire.

My local bottle shops usually sling premium beer 14-20$, with local favorites 10-14$.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

LeeMajors posted:

They have this here in SC, and the growlers are supremely overpriced. I'm talking 20$ for Ranger or Fat Tire.

My local bottle shops usually sling premium beer 14-20$, with local favorites 10-14$.

you ever make it over to the Greenville Beer Exchange? hoping to hit in on my way back to VA.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Angry Grimace posted:

Never been to Vegas or New Orleans?

As for cars, there are a few states that let passengers in the car drink, but not the driver. In Mississippi, you can drink *while* you're driving, so long as you stay below the DUI blood-alcohol limit.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Holy cow Sierra Nevada's 30th Anniversary Grand Cru is excellent. It's a blend of oak aged Bigfoot, Pale Ale, and Celebration Ale. Huge caramel sweetness upfront with an intense dark chocolate that yields to slight orange citrus and finishes with a floral pine hop finish that lingers for a bit. This is excellent, great sipper.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Phanatic posted:

Liquid Assets on 94th is a great meal. Not a huge bottle selection, but some decent stuff and the food's fantastic, about one of the best-quality restaurants you'll find down there. It's also a liquor store, so you can get any of the beers in the cooler even if it's not actually listed on the restaurant menu.

Holy gently caress. Thank you so much for this recommendation. Not only was the food fantastic (best we've had all week) but the bottle selection is pretty amazing. La Folie is $11 here, and there's a bunch of Sucaba/Abacus just sitting around and waiting to be bought. The lack of taps disappointed me at first, but they let you pick any "big beer" out of the cooler for $12 is crazy as hell. A 750 of Duchess de Bourgogne with dinner for $12? Wow.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Phanatic posted:

As for cars, there are a few states that let passengers in the car drink, but not the driver. In Mississippi, you can drink *while* you're driving, so long as you stay below the DUI blood-alcohol limit.

In cars? That seems off/crazy, at least from my Western state perspective.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You could have an open container in your car in Wyoming as recently as 2007 :razz:

quote:

“When I came to Wyoming 17 years ago, a person could be drinking a beer and have a loaded gun and wave to a cop at a stoplight and it was legal,” said Capt. Jim Whalen of the Teton County Sheriff’s Office.

:emoticon of a crying bison:

As someone who lives about 30 minutes from the WY border, I am both in love with and terrified by that place.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 13, 2012

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:

Docjowles posted:

You could have an open container in your car in Wyoming as recently as 2007 :razz:

As someone who lives about 30 minutes from the WY border, I am both in love with and terrified by that place.

I still wonder if the times I was in Wyoming towns and saw bars with 'drive-thru' liquor windows on the side were some kind of fever dream. Too weird.

Then again, drove through Nebraska and a podunk-rear end convenience store had three selves of liquor. Non-diluted liquor. Blew my mind.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Wasn't Wyoming the last state in the country to raise the drinking age to 21 because it doesn't have that much federal highway funding? I do know it's the home state of Dick Cheney so that's a strike against it.

How is Avery Mephistopheles Stout? There are a bunch of bottles from 2008 at my local beer store for $10.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Wasn't Wyoming the last state in the country to raise the drinking age to 21 because it doesn't have that much federal highway funding? I do know it's the home state of Dick Cheney so that's a strike against it.

How is Avery Mephistopheles Stout? There are a bunch of bottles from 2008 at my local beer store for $10.

I believe that was South Dakota. There was a famous case we studied in law school called South Dakota v. Dole from the late 80s in which they were challenging the right of the Feds to withhold their tax dollars to bribe them into making the drinking age 21.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I wish I had a store around me that got Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale in regularly. I tried it once and absolutely loved it, and I haven't seen it around since :(

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

funkybottoms posted:

you ever make it over to the Greenville Beer Exchange? hoping to hit in on my way back to VA.

I haven't been to the Greenville one, but I live in Charleston and frequent the Charleston Beer Exchange. My fiance' lives on lower King so I usually walk down to Exchange St when I stay down there. Number one bottle shop in the US :rock:

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Angry Grimace posted:

In Alabama it's illegal, but it's a class C misdemeanor and carries a maximum $25 fine if you're caught with an open container. Therefore my band drinks in the van while driving through Alabama (not the driver, we're not complete idiots). I didn't know Mississippi had a similar law, I'm going to have to look that one up. Could make our trips to New Orleans even better.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Y-Hat posted:

really good- kind of boozy and sweet, but incredibly complex and drinkable. i find that bottles do better with a bit of age, so i would buy at least one and drink it now, then go back and load up if you like it.

LeeMajors, thanks.

Josh Wow, is Hop City in ATL worth going deep into the city, or will i be able to find the same poo poo in one of the Greens locations?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Mephistopheles is also like 15%, drink with caution.

Docjowles posted:

I have definitely taken advantage of that law en route to Utah. I mean, you can't bring any booze into UT, so your only choice is to let the passengers have at it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kudosx posted:

I wish I had a store around me that got Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale in regularly. I tried it once and absolutely loved it, and I haven't seen it around since :(
I had this a couple weeks ago. I like it, it's flavorful and yet not overwhelming on the hops. I've never had a Lagunitas I didn't like, although the Pils and IPA aren't on par with their stronger offerings. A surprising amount of hipster parties in Brooklyn have one of those two beers, maybe that's why I don't have a seething hatred for them like some goons do.

funkybottoms posted:

really good- kind of boozy and sweet, but incredibly complex and drinkable. i find that bottles do better with a bit of age, so i would buy at least one and drink it now, then go back and load up if you like it.
That's good to know, I'll probably buy a bottle today or tomorrow.

Also it's closer to 16% alcohol. I was a little hesitant to try it because of that, but I had Worldwide Stout a couple years ago and that was quite a good beer.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Ugh. TBA was released today, the collab between Stone/Fat Head's/Bear Republic, and it's available at Fat head's near me.

I want to go buy a couple bottles (Probably 3-4...) but it's $4/bottle, and it's an hour drive each way for me... so with $4/gallon gas prices, it looks like I could end up paying $30 for 4 bottles of beer.

It sounds really, really delicious, but I'm not sure I'm willing to just suck it up and make the trek up there...

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

e: For what it's worth, Kudosx, every Stone collab I've had has ranged from mediocre to undrinkable. Wait for some reviews before committing.

Phanatic posted:

There is an open container law in Las Vegas. It's not enforced on the Strip in most circumstances, since messing with tourists tends to hurt the bottom line, but it's still on the books and is sometimes added to other charges if someone does enough to get themselves arrested. Off-Strip, they tend to be a little more strict about it.

Last night I had dinner with Derek Buono - owner/editor/etc. of Beer Magazine - at Public House, which opened this year and is trying to become The Strip Beer Destination. Derek's a nice guy, and we talked about a lot of beer industry stuff like Alpine's little tiff over ebaying beer, breweries we like and don't like, etc.

As far as Public House is concerned, it ignores the origins of its name, tries for gastropub, but feels more industrial/clubby. That's mostly due to the loud-rear end music and not at all homey/intimate decor. The beer selection is very good for Vegas, and it's nice to have another place doing cask pours. It suffers from the usual Strip pricing problem ($9 for the local adjuct lager I can find a sixer of for $7?). There were some uncommon things on tap, like Oro de Calabaza - served too cold, but thankfully that's something that fixes itself over time.

The unique thing about Public House is they have cicerones. In theory this is a good thing. In practice, the cicerone that came to our table was some kind of loving caricature of beer spergelord. He had a loving waxed moustache, for Christ's sake. One of those that looks greasy under the nose and gets shiner and more disgusting as its ends curl a complete, 2-inch-wide loop on each side. It took all of my self control to not laugh at it when I first saw him.

To be fair, he knew what he was talking about and could immediately answer my question about the local brewery's stout. He was obviously competent, but someone needs to hold him down and pluck that facial abomination off his lip one stringy, greasy hair at a time.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

That is a shame. Everyone knows that the most knowledgeable of beer aficionados have to grow out their scraggly beards with as little maintenance done on them as possible. Otherwise they are untrustworthy. I went to the Thirsty Monk in Asheville once and literally every employee had one.

Also echoing the Stone-collab sentiment above.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

funkybottoms posted:

Josh Wow, is Hop City in ATL worth going deep into the city, or will i be able to find the same poo poo in one of the Greens locations?

I have no idea, I've never been there. I live in Athens and don't make it down to Atlanta much, I hadn't even been to the Brickstore until two weeks ago. From what I've seen Green's has a drat good selection though, so you should be pretty well covered there.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

bartolimu posted:

As far as Public House is concerned, it ignores the origins of its name, tries for gastropub, but feels more industrial/clubby. That's mostly due to the loud-rear end music and not at all homey/intimate decor. The beer selection is very good for Vegas, and it's nice to have another place doing cask pours. It suffers from the usual Strip pricing problem ($9 for the local adjuct lager I can find a sixer of for $7?). There were some uncommon things on tap, like Oro de Calabaza - served too cold, but thankfully that's something that fixes itself over time.

The unique thing about Public House is they have cicerones. In theory this is a good thing. In practice, the cicerone that came to our table was some kind of loving caricature of beer spergelord. He had a loving waxed moustache, for Christ's sake. One of those that looks greasy under the nose and gets shiner and more disgusting as its ends curl a complete, 2-inch-wide loop on each side. It took all of my self control to not laugh at it when I first saw him.

To be fair, he knew what he was talking about and could immediately answer my question about the local brewery's stout. He was obviously competent, but someone needs to hold him down and pluck that facial abomination off his lip one stringy, greasy hair at a time.

Vegas is so service oriented that I'm sure they will set that guy's tone correctly over time. I really hope that place survives because the strip is pretty much all about macro beer and they will have to find that right tempo of getting someone to try new things and educating. I might be going for Evo this summer and I'll check it out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

air- posted:

Vegas is so service oriented that I'm sure they will set that guy's tone correctly over time. I really hope that place survives because the strip is pretty much all about macro beer and they will have to find that right tempo of getting someone to try new things and educating. I might be going for Evo this summer and I'll check it out.

Well, there's the Burger Bar at Mandalay Bay, which has a decent selection, and there's the Yard House further north on the boulevard. But any place with that many taps makes me uneasy. Plus, the food kinda blows.

At the Yard House, that is. Burger Bar's awesome. At least if you're there on business and not paying for it.

bartolimu posted:

Yard House is actually farther south than Burger Bar,

You're right, I was turned around in my head.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 13, 2012

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So... Ballast Point people...

Whats the difference between Big Eye and Sculpin? Both IPAs. Both from Ballast Point... only a .2% difference in ABV.....

I can get Big Eye easily. Sculpin is impossible to find at any distributor...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Big Eye has a little higher IBU. Maybe they use different hops also?

Edit: IIRC, Sculpin tastes like fresh hops that I've only encountered in home brew, though maybe the Sculpin that I tried was fresher than the Big Eye.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 13, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Vertigo posted:

So... Ballast Point people...

Whats the difference between Big Eye and Sculpin? Both IPAs. Both from Ballast Point... only a .2% difference in ABV.....

I can get Big Eye easily. Sculpin is impossible to find at any distributor...
They're completely different recipes that don't taste anything like the other, really. Sculpin has a lot more residual sweetness than Big Eye, but it's also significantly more complex. The recipe for Sculpin also has like 8 different hops in it.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Thank You. I was was wondering if it was something like a 60/90 minute thing or something more. drat. I loved Sculpin last night when I had it, and was hoping Big Eye would have been a similiar experience (since I can get it)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Vertigo posted:

Thank You. I was was wondering if it was something like a 60/90 minute thing or something more. drat. I loved Sculpin last night when I had it, and was hoping Big Eye would have been a similiar experience (since I can get it)

Strangely, Sculpin is hard to procure in Charleston, SC of all places, but I rarely see Big Eye.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Well, there's the Burger Bar at Mandalay Bay, which has a decent selection, and there's the Yard House further north on the boulevard. But any place with that many taps makes me uneasy. Plus, the food kinda blows.

At the Yard House, that is. Burger Bar's awesome. At least if you're there on business and not paying for it.

Yard House is actually farther south than Burger Bar, at Town Square where I-15 and I-215 meet south of Russel. Yard House is an overly loud place with too many things on tap for any of it to be fresh, and yes, the food does kinda blow.

Burger Bar was the first place on the Strip to have anything good beer-wise, and as far as I know it's still quite good for both food and drinks.

There's a sort of new spot in an old casino that has become worth checking out, in my opinion: The Pub in the Mirage. Their selection is at least equal to Public House, better in some ways. They don't usually have stuff on cask, and they're handicapped by the standard casino BMC contract (9/10 of your taps must be a Bud/Miller/Coors product), but they have good things on tap and a very nice bottle selection. Prices are a bit lower than Public House as well; variety of food is lower, but the quality is fine. The managers are trying to move away from the frat house atmosphere and into a more good-beer-centric service model, and it can't hurt to throw them some business if you're in the area. (Full disclosure: one of my friends is a manager there. The more support they get via good beer purchases and good feedback, the better their chances of further improving things.)

Other than that, the best places are all off-Strip. And the best places are drat good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

If you can't find Sculpin now, you'll find it soon enough. They're going through another big expansion (BP won the World Beer Cup as "Small Brewer of the Year," but don't qualify in that category anymore because of the previous expansion) and they just added a bunch of huge fermenters.

In fact, I saw some pictures on their feed showing pallets of Sculpin headed for both Texas and Ohio, two markets they apparently weren't in before.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

funkybottoms posted:

I actually head over there pretty often and I can say that they are pretty good. They have a great selection and they recently just expanded their growler selection. The staff is pretty knowledgeable about their beer as well; one guy always has 3-4 recommendations for me just based on what I tell him I like about a different beer (He's tried most if not all of the beers I've asked about and regularly tries out the new stuff they rotate in).

I can't say how they compare to Greens because I've only been there once a couple of months ago so I've sort of forgotten what they carried, but Hop City is definitely my go-to place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

I'm going to Atlanta for work for a few days (Buckhead area.) Any local goons know of some good places for beer?