Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

General Battuta posted:

Why don't you just use masseffect2saves.com

I'll second that. I didn't want to transfer my save from the 360 to PC so I downloaded a ME1 save to import into 2. Worked great and had just what I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Beezle Bug posted:

(Rachni Queen and Wrex on Virmire specifically)

They're dead.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I loved this game, some stuff that didn't make it from the leaked script severely disappointed me but holy poo poo..I was expecting bad for the ending but gee...that whole end sequence was..ugh..

Beezle Bug
Jun 5, 2009

I love painting trees.

Schubalts posted:

They're dead.

drat. Thanks for the heads up :)

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Scored a Drell Adept on my first Spectre pack, currently running around with a pistol and pull/reave on 1/2 second cool downs. Plenty of assists to be had tossing around an AOE DOT

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Beezle Bug posted:

Because I'm on 360?

So? you can make a save on your PC and copy it over to your 360 just fine.

Beezle Bug
Jun 5, 2009

I love painting trees.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So? you can make a save on your PC and copy it over to your 360 just fine.

Alright, didn't know that. I'll look into that then, thanks.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Beezle Bug posted:

Because I'm on 360?

Apparently you can move saves from PC to Xbox. Annakie says it works fine, I have yet to try it myself.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Beezle Bug posted:

Because I'm on 360?

There's a converter:

e: f,b

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Finished the game, some thoughts in no particular order:

-The soundtrack is incredible, even without Jack Wall. Getting Clint Mansell signed on, even just for two tracks, was a godsend, and the Leaving Earth sequence kills it every time. Hulik et al do a good job imitating Mansell's melancholic piano stings.
-I noticed early on a bunch of people complaining about Cerberus turrets, but going Infiltrator or Engineer makes them a joke since you can sabotage them repeatedly. Actually, going Infiltrator makes most of the game a joke.
-After the shitfest that was ME2's relationship trees, it's really refreshing to have relationship dialogue that isn't total bullshit. All of a sudden these characters remembered how to deal with problems like adults, which was nice.
-I can't figure out which sniper rifle is more ludicrously overpowered, the Javelin or the Black Widow. The BW has it beat in raw damage output, but the Javelin can see through walls/smoke without mods, and it mutters at you in the Geth language every time you use it.
-Mordin :smith:
-I think it is a huge testament to both how good the general thematic writing is in the trilogy and just how lovely the ending is that when presented with three equally idiotic choices by babby's first 2001, I did not hesitate in turning right the gently caress around and walking straight into an invisible wall because I thought a fourth "gently caress your arbitrary nonsensical bullshit, the galaxy can deal just fine without you" ending would've been completely logically consistent within the narrative framework the three games had spent so much time painstakingly setting up. No, I don't care what color the explosion is at the end, what is this amateur hour horseshit.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So is it ever explained where Cerberus got all those troops? Video game conventions notwithstanding, wasn't it a point in ME2 that they weren't a military outfit and more of an Illuminatiesque group?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Aurubin posted:

So is it ever explained where Cerberus got all those troops? Video game conventions notwithstanding, wasn't it a point in ME2 that they weren't a military outfit and more of an Illuminatiesque group?

They were luring refugees to Sanctuary, then... huskifying them.

I think the Codex states that they grew vastly in power between ME1 and ME3, probably thanks to Shepard's help.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I love how crew members actually move around and interact in ME3.

I'm playing a renegade femshep this run and told the chief engineer "he owed me" for not helping in ME2. I just walked in on him and Dr. Chakwas having a conversation where he was apologizing for failing the rest of the crew and failing everyone on the memorial wall :(

edit: does anyone else occasionally get stuck in the Normandy cockpit? If I step towards the side, I end up not being able to move at all.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Figured this was the best place to ask.

I'm looking for the piece of music that plays at the end of the first Earth segment, where you're killing cannibals and waiting for the Normandy to show up. I think it's in a few other "epic battle" parts of the game too. I don't have the soundtrack or anything so does anybody know the name of this particular piece? I'd very much appreciate it.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Aurubin posted:

The troops were at least partially huskified. I remember that if you don't do Grissom Academy, you eventually come across a Nemesis named Jack, and something tells me she wouldn't work for Cerberus willingly. Plus with Sanctuary existing, it seems that they pulled people, partially huskified them, and then let them loose.

e:f,b

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There's also that Centurion you find on Mars.

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012
Mid?-game spoilers:

So I just committed mass genocide against the Quarians, and killed Tali, my romantic interest. Did I gently caress up?

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Anyone else get the feeling Sanctuary was like liberating a WW2 concentration camp and witnessing Joseph Mengele's experiments?

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

BobTheSpy posted:

Mid?-game spoilers:

So I just committed mass genocide against the Quarians, and killed Tali, my romantic interest. Did I gently caress up?

Yes, unless you wanted to do that I guess haha. There should have been a Paragon check to avoid doing that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Aurubin posted:

No, they were always primarily a cell-based paramilitary group with a lot of questionable research projects on the side, funded by wealthy and anonymous human donors. Their numbers do swell dramatically between games, though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So if I want to use the ME3 editor to change my sex to female and choose a different class type to re-import my ME3 save, what do I have to do?

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012

Count Choculitis posted:

Yes, unless you wanted to do that I guess haha. There should have been a Paragon check to avoid doing that.

There was a paragon option to try to save Tali, but you just jump to grab her hand and fail. That is unless, I missed the interrupt.

The wiki says there's a way to make peace. How? Dammit... I just wanted the quarians to realize that the Geth were people!

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
Is there any sense in holding out hope that future DLC will be the wacky after-ending hijinks of the post-ending survivors? I would seriously pay (some) money to shoot burned out buildings into firewood if it meant I had some idea of what happened to basically anybody but Joker and Edi. Like...anything. "Garrus spent his remaining drunken, PTSD-crippled life sitting on top of a shack throwing clay cups into the trees yelling, 'This is not my favorite place in the universe!'" Anything but what I watched. Please?

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

BobTheSpy posted:

There was a paragon option to try to save Tali, but you just jump to grab her hand and fail. That is unless, I missed the interrupt.

The wiki says there's a way to make peace. How? Dammit... I just wanted the quarians to realize that the Geth were people!

Rannoch related spoilers. There's a Paragon earlier than that, but it requires a couple things, plus high Paragon points. Did you not do one of these? And the Koris one, you have to have gotten him back to the fleet, not saved his squad.

Deviantfish posted:

According the bioware forums (yeah, I know), the ability to broker peace is based on a point system. I've got five, according to the tally from the forums/strategy guide (did Tali's loyalty in ME2, stopped her/Legion's fight in ME2, did Rannock: Geth Fighter Squadrons as well as Rannoch: Admiral Koris).

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, Cerberus's funding was pretty well covered by previous games. So now couple that with whatever indoctrination/husk tech they've cobbled together and you have a group that can turn its own non-essential personnel into shock troops, but then stage mass-abductions and turn other colonists into troops as well. Couple that with the late-game reveal, and you get a nice private army overnight since you don't need to waste time training the new recruits.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

AtraMorS posted:

Is there any sense in holding out hope that future DLC will be the wacky after-ending hijinks of the post-ending survivors? I would seriously pay (some) money to shoot burned out buildings into firewood if it meant I had some idea of what happened to basically anybody but Joker and Edi. Like...anything. "Garrus spent his remaining drunken, PTSD-crippled life sitting on top of a shack throwing clay cups into the trees yelling, 'This is not my favorite place in the universe!'" Anything but what I watched. Please?

I think it's pretty likely to be honest. They're going to be trying to suck as much DLC money out of the consumer as physically possible and at some point either post-ending stuff or a Broken Steel style ending extension/rewrite seem almost inevitable.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Okay, because I'm always going to do it, but I've got to know -- on the Priority:Citadel mission, what happens if you don't shoot Udina when he pulls a gun on the Asari councilor?

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012

Count Choculitis posted:

Rannoch related spoilers. There's a Paragon earlier than that, but it requires a couple things, plus high Paragon points. Did you not do one of these? And the Koris one, you have to have gotten him back to the fleet, not saved his squad.

I never saved the admiral. Do you think I should go back, do his mission, then do the Geth mission? My ultimate goal was peace between the Geth and the Quarians.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, because I'm always going to do it, but I've got to know -- on the Priority:Citadel mission, what happens if you don't shoot Udina when he pulls a gun on the Asari councilor?

Kaiden/Ashley shoots him

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BobTheSpy posted:

I never saved the admiral. Do you think I should go back, do his mission, then do the Geth mission? My ultimate goal was peace between the Geth and the Quarians.

Definitely do this. If possible, choose to save the admiral.

The outcome of Rannoch is based on several points in ME2 and ME3; if you do enough of them correctly, then a lasting peace is possible by following these instructions: allow Legion to begin the upload, then pass a Paragon check to convince the quarians to stand down.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

Kaiden/Ashley shoots him
Oh. Then I'm glad I got the satisfaction of doing it personally.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

Oh. Then I'm glad I got the satisfaction of doing it personally.

yeah, especially when they feel all depressed about shooting him afterwards

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I have to say, I usually am not that emotionally invested into video games, but I justcouldn't get it over my heart to shoot Mordin. I wanted to avoid curing the Krogans, especially after Wrex told his expansion plans (showing that he wasn't the exception that he was told to be), but I just couldn't kill Mordin. I simply love the character.

At least this way, he went out singing.
:unsmith:

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Stop using Reave in multiplayer. Just stop. :( I can't handle that sound anymore.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Does anyone know what that song is that plays from the radio in the Captain's quarters that has the lyrics? It sounded pretty good.

I was going through the soundtrack and I think they did a really good job of getting an oppressive, melancholic feel. Some of it is actually kind of depressing/nostalgic to listen to; it gives the game a lot more weight.

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS
Edit: wrong thread!

Ratzinc fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 13, 2012

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Batham posted:

I have to say, I usually am not that emotionally invested into video games, but I justcouldn't get it over my heart to shoot Mordin. I wanted to avoid curing the Krogans, especially after Wrex told his expansion plans (showing that he wasn't the exception that he was told to be), but I just couldn't kill Mordin. I simply love the character.

What? In my game, Wrex declares that he's going to rebuild Tuchanka and lead the krogan to a new future, not the same crap they'd been doing all along; sure, he wants several colony worlds, but seeing as how everyone else gets them (except the quarians), that doesn't seem unreasonable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Batham posted:

If Eve survives the process of developing the cure (which happens if you chose to save Maelon's data), then she acts as a moderating influence on whoever the krogan chieftain is. Later on, there are lines from Wrex or Wreav that indicate just how seriously they're planning to take this whole "allies" thing.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Just beat the game after a ridiculous marathon session. If you take the game right up to the point where you play ending whack-a-mole, I think the game is fantastic. The main story missions were far more exciting then anything from the previous games, and having varied enemy types kept the combat interesting. The story actually made me feel a little bit for the characters near the end.

Despite the reaper explination being pretty obvious, I thought it still worked. But god drat, it just falls apart after that. Everything you did in the whole series just doesn't matter. It's like they couldn't figure out a way to really tie the series together and just threw poo poo together. I didn't actually believe it could be that bad because the buildup from all of ME3 was great. Then it all doesn't loving matter and you get forcefed the worst deus ex ending.

Then there's the loving post credits bit which is like salt in the wound.

I will say the music was top notch.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I registered my Steam version of ME2 on Origin for shits and giggles. Is it supposed to launch steam in order to launch the game? That's kind of funny.

edit: I just launched it through steam and now I have both the steam and origin overlays available :stare:

• Locked thread