Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
this Gunplay is good but there are a couple of things keeping me from enjoying it as much as i could:

- the screams on jump out (which is otherwise flawless)
- is hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

for anyone who hasnt checked out D.O.P.E yet their mixtape is out and they sound pretty promising. they just did a video for what was defo the standout song on the new TI tape http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhc5fPo6IqXWHT4Vc6

which is no small feat cause drat that is prob the best release of the year so far imo.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Don't think he's supposed to be in the same house as all these women but Mystikal's new (first?) joint with Cash Money is pretty good: http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhkZEhA88m1pq0561s

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

yeah i LOVE that song but the whole bald head duo thing he has going on with birdman is kinda disturbing haha

also new bronson just dropped

e:infact do both bald heads ever appear on screen at the same time? that would be just too much shine. had to throw a beanie on birdman

farmtrill fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 13, 2012

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2012/03/12/jay-zs-amex-sync-show-live-stream/

So Jay-Z's SXSW show is streaming right now, it started at 8 EST so I'm not sure how much time is left.

Apparently it's going to be available on xbox live and youtube next week as well.

LARRY JEW fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 13, 2012

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

thegloaming posted:

...I always had a soft spot for RZA's Birth of a Prince, but it might be an acquired taste -- never hear anyone else mention it...

Act like I didn't shout it out on that same page!

Anyway, does anyone know about any other SXSW streaming shows? I love when they stream the big festivals on youtube.

SimpleCoax fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 13, 2012

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Haven't seen any talk about the new Rittz mixtape or the video that leaked along with it, "Die": http://youtu.be/h5zcCmWClds
The video is a Dexter-style kill-video aimed towards his haters

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

GET MONEY posted:

Don't think he's supposed to be in the same house as all these women but Mystikal's new (first?) joint with Cash Money is pretty good: http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhkZEhA88m1pq0561s

Yesss. Both reminds me why Mystikal is so awesome and everything I can't stand about Wayne.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

SimpleCoax posted:

Act like I didn't shout it out on that same page!

Ah man, my bad.

I really like RZA, even when he's goin' in a weird-rear end directions. Haven't heard any of his other solo albums though. How do they compare to Prince?

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

thegloaming posted:

Ah man, my bad.

I really like RZA, even when he's goin' in a weird-rear end directions. Haven't heard any of his other solo albums though. How do they compare to Prince?

Can't say I've listened to Digi Snacks, but the Bobby Digital albums are a must.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Honestly, I would even include the Ghost Dog OST when talking about RZA as well. There were some good songs on that despite the low quality of RZA's acting

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Diodeous posted:

Honestly, I would even include the Ghost Dog OST when talking about RZA as well. There were some good songs on that despite the low quality of RZA's acting

You really think he didn't deliver "Ghost Dog, Power, Equality" with enough gusto?

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
RZA bows like a gangsta samurai and then strolls offscreen rockin head to toe camo.

SCENE

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

thegloaming posted:

Tical
Return of the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version
Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx + 2
Liquid Swords
Beneath the Surface
Ironman
Uncontrolled Substance (my favorite of the solos besides OB4CL and Liquid Swords)
Wu Forever
The Swarm
Supreme Clientele
6 Feet Deep

I got all of those in the quote, just gotta work on some more Clan albums and thanks for the suggestions I will absolutely check them out. First I've heard of Liquid Swords 2 I hope it turns out well.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 13, 2012

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

thegloaming posted:

You really think he didn't deliver "Ghost Dog, Power, Equality" with enough gusto?

No it was the head nod after that seemed inauthentic. I prefer the "freestyle raps" in the park: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf2FFirkYXU&feature=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wu-Tang_Clan_affiliates
Honestly don't remember some of these, like Hillside Scramblers, Population Click or Zu Ninjaz.

This did remind me of a couple more recent Wu affiliate albums I liked though:
Bronze Nazareth - The Great Migration
Cilvaringz - I [some of the production on this album was outstanding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyq2W9uGxUY]
Shabazz the Disciple - The Book of Shabazz (Hidden Scrollz) [this was okay, but really, the Sunz of Man albums were way better]
Hell Razah - Razah's Ladder
I was also reminded that Hell Razah had a brain aneurysm a couple years ago and goes by Heaven Razah now.

Diodeous fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 13, 2012

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

TenaciousTomato posted:

I got all of those in the quote, just gotta work on some more Clan albums and thanks for the suggestions I will absolutely check them out. First I've heard of Liquid Swords 2 I hope it turns out well.
Another good Wu-affiliated album that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Cappadonna's the Pillage.

grass lemon
Jun 7, 2009

savinhill posted:

Another good Wu-affiliated album that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Cappadonna's the Pillage.

For some reason I've heard a lot of cats not liking this. I thought it was pretty tight but then everyone started saying how Cappa's rhymes didn't make sense. I don't know, I thought it was alright though.

For the guy checking out the Wu stuff have you checked out Bootcamp Click? If not Check out:
Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
Smif-N-Wessun - Dah Shinin
Heltah Skeltah - Nocturnal
OGC - Da Storm
Sean Price - Monkey Barz; Jesus Price Superstar

I've always those guys were super dope. The Beatminerz beats were great and the rappers in those groups can rhyme for days.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Trust me when I say that Wu-Tang Forever is a good place to stop with Wu fandom. I know you might see yourself as a fan and love their stuff but the later solo or group stuff is very spotty. Ghostface is the exception.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
i didnt really listen to any of method mans stuff during that era but his album "4:21 the day after" was pretty OK

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

temple posted:

Trust me when I say that Wu-Tang Forever is a good place to stop with Wu fandom. I know you might see yourself as a fan and love their stuff but the later solo or group stuff is very spotty. Ghostface is the exception.

this.

i feel great for turning my formerly 'BLACK METAL ONLY' friend onto hip-hop, but now he is stuck in that awful rut of downloading mathematical killah bee swords wu affiliate crap when there have probably only been about 5 decent wu albums since 'forever' (aside from ghost of course)

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

The Flying Milton posted:

Yesss. Both reminds me why Mystikal is so awesome and everything I can't stand about Wayne.

Yeah same. I really liked Mystikal's verses, even though one was from that cypher that dropped awhile ago. Wayne still on the #hashtag rap.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
This track 1-800-Suicide from 6 Feet Deep is too fuckin raw. Actually this whole album.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

bows1 posted:

Yeah same. I really liked Mystikal's verses, even though one was from that cypher that dropped awhile ago. Wayne still on the #hashtag rap.

I'm glad Wayne's verse is at the end so I can just skip to the next song once I hear him. Who would of thought Birdman would out rap Wayne at some point?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
I'm not too big into rap, but what are some decent recent releases for someone who really liked Blue Scholars album from last year?

TenaciousTomato posted:

This track 1-800-Suicide from 6 Feet Deep is too fuckin raw. Actually this whole album.

I put that album off for such a long time. Felt like such an idiot for doing it after I finally heard it. That album is just nearly flawless.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Suicide its a suicide...

Production is retahded on that disc

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Burning Nerd Core posted:

this Gunplay is good but there are a couple of things keeping me from enjoying it as much as i could:

- the screams on jump out (which is otherwise flawless)
- is hitler

Seriously it's a great tape but what's up with the Hitler poo poo? He's seriously going to call himself Adolf and talk about having "swastika (tattoos) on my arm"? I mean I appreciate a good gimmick and all but :stare:

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I guess if rapper are going to brag about doing immoral things like robbing, pimping and drug dealing somebody had to eventually jump to comparing themselves to genocidal dictators. Some of the Odd Future dudes do it a bunch too.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

still waiting for someone to proclaim them self as "the rap karl marx", unironically of course. that weezy communist t-shirt got me thinking...

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick

TenaciousTomato posted:

This is seriously one of my favorite songs ever. I downloaded it randomly but I've never listened to another song off the album, now you've got me thinking I need to check out the full album.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

temple posted:

I'm a big fan of The W, even if it's not their best it's still a solid album. And Careful (Click Click) is one of my favourite Wu joints. 8 Diagrams had a few good songs but I can't say I've gone back to it too often. That old ODB track ended up being one of my favourites from the album. But yeah, besides Ghostface, I'd say OB4CL2 is the only recent Wu stuff really worth checking out. I'm excited as hell for Liquid Swords 2 though.

Also, new Danny Brown vid out. I haven't stopped listening to XXX since it came out.

http://youtu.be/QSX4vkHENLk

temple
Jul 29, 2006

8 Diagrams is pretty good only for how weird and controversal it is. Its like "What if Wu Tang made an OutKast album?" Even Rza had to back away from it. I needed it after ODB passed. It was cathartic.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I really like the Wolves track with George Clinton, in addition to a few others I can't recall the names to.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Killsion posted:

I'm not too big into rap, but what are some decent recent releases for someone who really liked Blue Scholars album from last year?

Are you talking in terms of production? Because that album had a really unique sound mostly because Sabzi started to transition from sample based beats to more original compositions. I could rattle off a bunch of groups that have a similar mentality/message as the Blue Scholars, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Common Market, if you dont already know, is RA Scion and Sabzi, so you're bound to notice some similarities.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

temple posted:

8 Diagrams is pretty good only for how weird and controversal it is. Its like "What if Wu Tang made an OutKast album?" Even Rza had to back away from it. I needed it after ODB passed. It was cathartic.
Is this the album that made Raekwon say that he thought Rza's eardrums were broken?

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
The W was good but i quit paying attention after that. Hollow Bones is the best Wu song hopefully someone will read this post and put it on repeat at my funeral.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

If you want some really old poo poo with a Wu-90's vibe.... check out the Soul in the Hole soundtrack. The artists are like a mid-late 90's all star line-up. I'll always hear that Tekitha Soooooooul in Da Hoooooole chorus in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7d6SvbvSQw

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

snyprmag posted:

I guess if rapper are going to brag about doing immoral things like robbing, pimping and drug dealing somebody had to eventually jump to comparing themselves to genocidal dictators. Some of the Odd Future dudes do it a bunch too.

Bookoo rappers did this poo poo in the 90's, thinking specifically of a 2pac track where he starts off by going like "my alias Makaveli" but then every rapper on the track after that being like "yo my alias mussolini" "my nickname kadaffi" can't remember the name of the track right now though. Also that CNN song (http://youtu.be/7kZFh5HEQGc). Maybe it ties into all the camo dudes were wearing back then or just referencing poo poo that was on the news as always

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

deadwing posted:

Seriously it's a great tape but what's up with the Hitler poo poo? He's seriously going to call himself Adolf and talk about having "swastika (tattoos) on my arm"? I mean I appreciate a good gimmick and all but :stare:

Link? It sucks because Gunplay is probably my new favorite up and comer and now he's going to ruin it all by big upping Hitler. Why god why?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

His tape from last year had a swastika on the cover. I forget what song he says he has a swastika tattoo, but its on Bogato Rich, along with calling himself adolf or hitler a few other times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

aniero posted:

Are you talking in terms of production? Because that album had a really unique sound mostly because Sabzi started to transition from sample based beats to more original compositions. I could rattle off a bunch of groups that have a similar mentality/message as the Blue Scholars, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Common Market, if you dont already know, is RA Scion and Sabzi, so you're bound to notice some similarities.

That is unfortunate. I'll check them out though, thanks.

I mostly meant the production. Message and mentality is kind of a second thought for me though I do find I enjoy the "backpacker" stuff more than others, but I think that is more just the production and overall sound to me.

Killsion fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 14, 2012

• Locked thread